A look at Ted Thompson and his 2005 NFL Draft

GB2009

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a look at the Packer's draft in 2005 compared to other teams. I believe that only 2 teams drafted better than the Packers in Thompson's first year as GM, Dallas and San Diego. Overall Dallas had the best draft.
Blue means Pro-Bowler, Gray Shading means the player is still on their team's 2009 roster.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
Wow Dallas really got the pick of the litter. The Giants also had a good draft. Good picks by GB, though.

I think this past year's draft could be one of the best for TT. Matthews, and Jones already start, Lang has started, Raji and Quinn are good players already, and Underwood has potential.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And look at Minnesota. Not a single draftee from 2005 is still with that team. And who has the incompetant GM? Scoreboard!

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow Dallas really got the pick of the litter. The Giants also had a good draft. Good picks by GB, though.

I think this past year's draft could be one of the best for TT. Matthews, and Jones already start, Lang has started, Raji and Quinn are good players already, and Underwood has potential.

Underwood was going to be a starter at Ohio State and transferred when (I forget the CB's Names, but both were high draft picks) came to the team. Long story short, Underwood was beaten out by two very talented lights out top 20 corners in the country. Thats great company to be in. He has potential to be a very good player someday and has only gotten better since his Jr. year in Cincinnati.

SD draft was absolutely insane though. But TT has done a good job of drafting solid players, its frustrating when people and fans say he never had a good draft. Reality is he may of had the best drafts in the last 5 years when you consider those still on the team. Rodgers, Matthews, Collins, Raji, even Hawk all to name only a few are excellent players. Plus I think he does a great job finding diamonds in the rough. Ex: Jones or Underwood from last year. Knows talent when he sees it, especially when raw. Packers are a very good young team, I think everyone just needs to wait a season more or two before it really begins to show it again.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agree that the 2009 Draft will go down as one of TT's best. We had an incredible draft this past year.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
And look at Minnesota. Not a single draftee from 2005 is still with that team. And who has the incompetant GM? Scoreboard!
Considering that the 2005 draft was done by Mike Tice and company and that the Vikings have all new people doing it now makes it a moot point.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great. Green Bay has drafted players from 2005 still on the team, which helped it to a 6-10 year in 2008 and an underachieving year in 2009.

Gotta make the playoffs and win a few or none of this really matters.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Allow me to make the Viking counter-argument:
Look at the number of impact free agents/trades they've signed/dealt for. Favre, Allen, Winfield was a FA, Hutchinson, Berrian.

Not to mention they've drafted Peterson and Harvin recently.

That hurt to say. A lot.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I mean honestly I dont hate ted thompson as much as most pack fans. He's brought in a lot of talent most people overlook. They just get mad cuz he got rid of Favre. Which I still think was the right choice.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
This is a look at the Packer's draft in 2005 compared to other teams. I believe that only 2 teams drafted better than the Packers in Thompson's first year as GM, Dallas and San Diego. Overall Dallas had the best draft.
Blue means Pro-Bowler, Gray Shading means the player is still on their team's 2009 roster.
Were did you get this and do they have them for other years?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

Now if you want to look at Childress and the current Vikings draft team since 2006.
17 out of 24 picks the last 4 years are still on the team. 10 are starters.

Year, number of picks/still on team.
2006: 5/6 Chad Greenway, Cedric Griffin, Ryan Cook, T. Jackson, Ray Edwards
2007: 3/8 A.Peterson, Sidney Rice, Brian Robison
2008: 4/5 Tyrell Johnson, Letroy Guion, John Sullivan, Jaymar Johnson
2009: 5/5 Harvin, Loadholt, Asher Allen, Jasper Brinkly, Jamarca Sanford.

But remember, Childress and the Vikings are idiot's who can only sign FA and trade for good players.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all I have been hearing from Packer fans for the last 4 years. How lucky they are that he never made it to Green Bay for an interview.

I don't think Childress is an awful coach. I don't think he's the next coming of Bud Grant like some Vikings fans think either. He's alright.

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was being a little sarcastic with that gm blast. Of course the proof is in the win column. But I still think all the scouting and combines in the world are limited when it comes to knowing which players will be able to make the transition from the college game to the pros. The complexity of the plays and the speed of the pro game can negate a lot of potential.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow Green Bay is the only team from the NFC North with a draftee from 2005 on their team

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all I have been hearing from Packer fans for the last 4 years. How lucky they are that he never made it to Green Bay for an interview.

Childress is a mediocre coach. Nothin special but has a crazy talented roster to work with thats probably the biggest reason they are playing well. He is prolly better than McCarthy, but then again, so am I haha.
:shock:

Ted's Zombie Army

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Childress is a mediocre coach. Nothin special but has a crazy talented roster to work with thats probably the biggest reason they are playing well. He is prolly better than McCarthy, but then again, so am I haha.
:shock:

Don't forget Bevell. I think he is the guy that has tailored the Viking offense to perfectly suit Favre. Bevell is like a second head on Childress' shoulders. These two heads together probably generate the wattage that a guy like Bill Belichek does alone.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow Green Bay is the only team from the NFC North with a draftee from 2005 on their team

This definitely has to do with coaching. It's one thing to find talent in the draft and another to nurture and expose it. Just look at the Patriots, they almost always turn late-rounders into superstars:
Tom Brady, Asante Samuel, Nick Kaczur, Tully Banta Cain just to name a few.
Plus, look at the head coach the cowboys had when they drafted in '05. Bill Parcells is one hell of a talent maker.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This definitely has to do with coaching. It's one thing to find talent in the draft and another to nurture and expose it. Just look at the Patriots, they almost always turn late-rounders into superstars:
Tom Brady, Asante Samuel, Nick Kaczur, Tully Banta Cain just to name a few.
Plus, look at the head coach the cowboys had when they drafted in '05. Bill Parcells is one hell of a talent maker.
Wasn't Banta Cain with the 9ers?

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget Bevell. I think he is the guy that has tailored the Viking offense to perfectly suit Favre. Bevell is like a second head on Childress' shoulders. These two heads together probably generate the wattage that a guy like Bill Belichek does alone.

Yet another Vikings pickup from the Packers.....

quote from Wikipedia "In 2000, Bevell was hired by the Green Bay Packers as an offensive assistant. In 2003, he was promoted to quarterbacks coach, where he worked with Brett Favre. In 2006, Childress was hired as the head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, and he brought Bevell to his team as offensive coordinator."

Cherry picking talent from the top team in the division...Bevell, Longwell, Favre....

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL how did I miss this post?

Thats brilliant :D

It may be brilliant to you, but it is short-sighted thinking in its worst form.

Which team is in first place in 2009? Some may then argue what about 2010 or 2011 or 2012? Well, why would Favre retire when he continues to command huge audiences on television and remains in MVP talk?

What happens when Minnesota drafts or addresses the weaknesses in the secondary and the offensive run-blocking line effectively and Favre remains quarterback? I see a potential for a dynasty for the Vikings with the right moves in 2010 and beyond.

Members online

Latest posts