A little love for Mason Crosby?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hit 22 of 24 last year and is 8 for 8 this year. That's 30 out of his last 32. Since the Detroit fiasco a couple of years back, he's been as good as anybody. Just wanted to give him a shoutout. He's a high character guy, a good Packer.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’ve heard he’s no better than average though.

The numbers clearly support he has been an average kicker at best for most of his career. He has had a pretty good stretch since the start of the 2019 season though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Average I can live with while hoping for better. Below average is where you have to change for sure. Luckily Mason has had two strong seasons.

I was a huge supporter of Crosby during that bad season. I still place blame on McCarthy for trotting Mason out repeatedly for extremely long field goals straddling his range. Whatever, Crosby has won way more games for us than he has lost. That is all that really matters.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Average I can live with while hoping for better. Below average is where you have to change for sure. Luckily Mason has had two strong seasons.

I was a huge supporter of Crosby during that bad season. I still place blame on McCarthy for trotting Mason out repeatedly for extremely long field goals straddling his range. Whatever, Crosby has won way more games for us than he has lost. That is all that really matters.

Aside from the fact that one player can't win or lose a game I agree with you.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The numbers clearly support he has been an average kicker at best for most of his career. He has had a pretty good stretch since the start of the 2019 season though.

Agreed that he was below average from 07-12 (76.8%). Very good from 13-20 (85.6%) in the Green Bay weather along with all the clutch playoff kicks. If you want to say his career as a whole is average then I can listen to the argument (but still probably disagree due to his longevity) but if anyone says he's just average now then I'll just have to completely disagree. Damn good run for 7.5 years. Tale of 2 careers.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a story about his wife beating cancer or something. Family of fighters!
And think he is in Top 3 K's in fantasy this far!

OP
OP
D

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed that he was below average from 07-12 (76.8%). Very good from 13-20 (85.6%) in the Green Bay weather along with all the clutch playoff kicks. If you want to say his career as a whole is average then I can listen to the argument (but still probably disagree due to his longevity) but if anyone says he's just average now then I'll just have to completely disagree. Damn good run for 7.5 years. Tale of 2 careers.

There were a few seasons where I very nervously held my breath when he came on. Overall career he is now 82%, which I suspect may be slightly above average over his career span. Anyway, he's well paid for a kicker, but certainly been worth it.

This praise shall not put a curse on Mason, but will inspire him to further greatness.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed that he was below average from 07-12 (76.8%). Very good from 13-20 (85.6%) in the Green Bay weather along with all the clutch playoff kicks.

Even from 2013-20 Crosby only ranks 16th out of 33 kickers in field goal percentage with at least 100 attempts.

There were a few seasons where I very nervously held my breath when he came on. Overall career he is now 82%, which I suspect may be slightly above average over his career span. Anyway, he's well paid for a kicker, but certainly been worth it.

Crosby's career average isn't anywhere close to being above average. He ranks 45th out of 52 qualifying kickers since 2007.

He has been overpaid for quite some time.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason's biggest problem is that he historically hasn't been great on attempts from 50+ yards. Compare him to Robbie Gould, who is generally regarded as one of the top kickers of the past 15 years. Crosby actually has been around the same within 50 yards (86.3%) to Gould (88.0%) but much worse beyond 50 (53.7% to 70.4%).

Add to this that because Crosby came out of college with a big leg, a disproportionate number of his attempts (16.1%) have been from beyond 50. Compare that to other kickers like Gould (9.8%), Gostkowski (8.8%), Lambo (14%), Butker (14.6%), Lutz (14.4%), Boswell (7.2%), Bryant (13.3%), Hauschka (14.5%), Hopkins (14.3%), Vinateri (10.0%), Gano (13.9%).

I didn't look at every kicker, but while glancing through the names, the only ones I found with a higher percentage of kicks beyond 50 were Tucker (18.4%) and Janikowski (19.3%). Tucker may go down as the best ever and Janikowski had perhaps the biggest leg of this generation of kickers, so no surprise there.

Basically, Crosby has been subpar on kicks beyond 50 throughout his career, and that combined with his disproportionate number of long kicks has dragged down his total conversion rate.

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even from 2013-20 Crosby only ranks 16th out of 33 kickers in field goal percentage with at least 100 attempts.

Crosby's career average isn't anywhere close to being above average. He ranks 45th out of 52 qualifying kickers since 2007.

He has been overpaid for quite some time.

45th- what ranking is this? There aren't 52 kickers that have kicked anywhere near as long as he has. And we're not paying him for what his career average is, we're paying him for what he is now. He was almost cut at the end of 2012 for a reason. I guess the best comparison we can make to Crosby is Ryan Longwell and he kicked 81.6% for his career too. Most people would say he was a good kicker too. Obviously his percentage went up a bit when he kicked in the Metrodome (86%). These kickers that kick in the AFC/NFC South where they always play warm weather games in December is no comparison. His degree of difficulty is much higher. I'm not trying to say he is better than Justin Tucker but the fact you think he is just 'average' kicking just under 86% in Green Bay since 2013 means your are asking him to do something no Green Bay kicker has ever done. Chris Jacke who everyone seemed to love kicked 77% in Green Bay! If you are looking for a kicker to kick 90+% in Green Bay like Justin Tucker (who is arguably the best in NFL History), you will probably be waiting a very very long time. Ask Bears and Vikings fans if they would have liked Mason Crosby kicking those big kicks in the playoffs.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s all you need to know:

For his career in the playoffs, Crosby is 26/29 on FG’s, 65/65 on XP’s. And a lot of that has been in miserable outside weather. He hasn’t been a dome kicker for his entire career. That makes a difference!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don’t have much of a problem with Crosby making the money he does. I think both the McCarthy and LaFleur staffs were and are very confident and comfortable with him. Imo, he’s been a very good kicker in the clutch for us throughout his career though I don’t know what his 4th quarter numbers are. He’s also been very good on kickoffs and not erratic at all in my memory. I’ve never thought, we have got to go out and get a better kicker. This guy is killing us. He’s also spent his entire career kicking in probably the toughest place to kick in the NFL.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's finally earning his paycheck. :p

You'd think this guy was as good as Tucker from the way GB fans talk about him. But overrating your own guys is typically how fandom works

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Last 7 years?

86.5 and I believe that includes when he was horribly sick and dealing with wife cancer and sil passing away

Is 23rd in nfl scoring

Holds the NFL postseason record for most consecutive FGs made with 23 straight from 2010-16.
Has scored 143 points during his career in the postseason, No. 1 in team history and No. 5 in NFL playoff annals.

D

Deleted member 6794

Mason's biggest problem is that he historically hasn't been great on attempts from 50+ yards. Compare him to Robbie Gould, who is generally regarded as one of the top kickers of the past 15 years. Crosby actually has been around the same within 50 yards (86.3%) to Gould (88.0%) but much worse beyond 50 (53.7% to 70.4%).

Add to this that because Crosby came out of college with a big leg, a disproportionate number of his attempts (16.1%) have been from beyond 50. Compare that to other kickers like Gould (9.8%), Gostkowski (8.8%), Lambo (14%), Butker (14.6%), Lutz (14.4%), Boswell (7.2%), Bryant (13.3%), Hauschka (14.5%), Hopkins (14.3%), Vinateri (10.0%), Gano (13.9%).

I didn't look at every kicker, but while glancing through the names, the only ones I found with a higher percentage of kicks beyond 50 were Tucker (18.4%) and Janikowski (19.3%). Tucker may go down as the best ever and Janikowski had perhaps the biggest leg of this generation of kickers, so no surprise there.

Basically, Crosby has been subpar on kicks beyond 50 throughout his career, and that combined with his disproportionate number of long kicks has dragged down his total conversion rate.

Another failed attempt at explaining why Crosby's overall numbers aren't any better compared to other kickers.

His 86.2% field goal percntage from 50 yards or less is still beyond the league average of 86.4% in those situations since 2007.

45th- what ranking is this? There aren't 52 kickers that have kicked anywhere near as long as he has.

Crosby is 45th out of 52 kickers with at least 100 field goal attempts since 2007.

I guess the best comparison we can make to Crosby is Ryan Longwell and he kicked 81.6% for his career too. Most people would say he was a good kicker too. Obviously his percentage went up a bit when he kicked in the Metrodome (86%). These kickers that kick in the AFC/NFC South where they always play warm weather games in December is no comparison. His degree of difficulty is much higher. I'm not trying to say he is better than Justin Tucker but the fact you think he is just 'average' kicking just under 86% in Green Bay since 2013 means your are asking him to do something no Green Bay kicker has ever done. Chris Jacke who everyone seemed to love kicked 77% in Green Bay! If you are looking for a kicker to kick 90+% in Green Bay like Justin Tucker (who is arguably the best in NFL History), you will probably be waiting a very very long time.

Longwell and Jacke kicked in a different era when field goal percentage was lower around the entire league.

In addition Crosby kicking at Lambeau isn't much of an excuse as well as opposing kickers have combined to make a higher percentage of field goals at Lambeau over his career.

*waves* I can hardly wait to cash in on our bet :D

I'm looking forward to your creative suggestion for my signature ;)

Imo, he’s been a very good kicker in the clutch for us throughout his career though I don’t know what his 4th quarter numbers are.

Crosby hasn't been an above averageclutch kicker either.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2020/clutch-kicks-1985-2019

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another failed attempt at explaining why Crosby's overall numbers aren't any better compared to other kickers.

His 86.2% field goal percntage from 50 yards or less is still beyond the league average of 86.4% in those situations since 2007.

And since 2012, he's 89.5% under 50. I'm not saying he's all time great. I'm saying he is solid.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Crosby is 45th out of 52 kickers with at least 100 field goal attempts since 2007.

Longwell and Jacke kicked in a different era when field goal percentage was lower around the entire league.

In addition Crosby kicking at Lambeau isn't much of an excuse as well as opposing kickers have combined to make a higher percentage of field goals at Lambeau over his career.

I'm looking forward to your creative suggestion for my signature ;)

Crosby hasn't been an above averageclutch kicker either.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2020/clutch-kicks-1985-2019
Don’t worry. Crosby will be gone someday and you’ll get your wish of having some minimum salary street free agent kicker

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you have a link on the opposing kickers in Lambeau?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/NFL/kicking.htm

Not sure what website you are looking at but since field goal kickers total have AVERAGED 84.49% while Mason Crosby has averaged 85.6%.

I'll list the franchises where it's clearly easier to kick field goals at than Green Bay. I'm also including teams where their division opponents mostly play in domes/warm weather.

Minnesota, Detroit, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, LA Rams, 49ers, Cardinals, Seahawks (close but due to division opponent stadiums), Dallas, Miami, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Indianapolis, Houston, Denver (altitude), Oakland, Chargers, Kansas City (it's close but divisional opponents and KC still nicer weather than GB). 20 teams.

Again I'll state it is very impressive he's even above average considering basically 2/3 of teams have a much easier kicking situations than he does.

Like it or not, kicking is a HUGE position in the NFL. If you think he's overpaid then fine, just don't come back upset at me when a Blair Walsh or a Cody Parkey situation happens in Green Bay. Bills have a Super Bowl if they make a kick.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s all you need to know:

For his career in the playoffs, Crosby is 26/29 on FG’s, 65/65 on XP’s. And a lot of that has been in miserable outside weather. He hasn’t been a dome kicker for his entire career. That makes a difference!

NOPE, not impressed lol.

Members online

Latest posts