96 years old and counting

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what they all have planned for 100th. I heard they have started working on it already
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 players and two coaches. I'll bet they all had full-time jobs somewhere else besides. My, how times have changed.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
18 players and two coaches. I'll bet they all had full-time jobs somewhere else besides. My, how times have changed.

Jordy works on the farm and I saw one of the dolphins drives for uber, but so few and far between

D

Deleted member 6794

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the Packers used to have merchandise with "est. 1921" on them. The Packers PR department is a bit behind in its history. The Cardinals claim 1898 as the team start, and the longest continuously run franchise in the country. But there was no Chicago Cardinals team from 1906 to 1917, and the team did not play in 1918. So, they have been continuously operating since 1919, along with the Packers. With a little less success.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this history discussion. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the Cardinals, aka the Racine Normals:

In 1898, Chicago painting and building contractor Chris O'Brien established an amateur Chicago-based athletic club football team named the Morgan Athletic Club. O'Brien later moved them to Chicago's Normal Park and renamed them the Racine Normals, since Normal Park was located on Racine Avenue in Chicago. In 1901, O'Brien bought used maroon uniforms from the University of Chicago, the colors of which had by then faded, leading O'Brien to exclaim, "That's not maroon, it's cardinal red!" It was then that the team changed its name to the Racine Cardinals.[citation needed]

The original Racine Cardinals team disbanded in 1906 mostly for lack of local competition. A professional team under the same name formed in 1913, claiming the previous team as part of their history. As was the case for most professional football teams in 1918, the team was forced to suspend operations for a second time due to World War I and the outbreak of the Spanish flu pandemic. They resumed operations later in the year (even with the suspension they were one of the few teams to play that year), and have since operated continuously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Chicago_Cardinals

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the Cardinals' 2 Championships are controversial:

"The league never presented the 1925 Championship to the Cardinals and O'Brien the Cardinals owner refused to acknowledge it because of the circumstances. But when Charles Bidwell took over in 1933, he counted it for the Cardinals organization." (https://books.google.com/books?id=K...=onepage&q=chicago (racine) cardinals&f=false)

They have one Championship in 1947 that is undisputed.

Members online

Latest posts