53 man roster for 2022

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If We get Bak returning on schedule? Our OL will instantly be at its strongest level since 2020.

I sat that because I have confidence that Nijman can fully handle our RT spot if needed. I believe the guys we are testing at RT recently are our contingency plan if Nij misses time.

While I can understand the thought process by swinging Jenkins to RT? It would all but relegate Nijman to our swing tackle role. While that is a good Avenue, to truly get our best players on the field My ideal OL would be:

Bak-Elgton-Myers-Rhyan-Nij

But I do understand we’ve got a plethora of good options at OG, which is why we’d swing Elgton over to RT.
It will be very interesting how the Packers use Jenkins, as this is his final year of his rookie contract. There is a big difference between what a left tackle and a right tackle would expect to be paid and a huge difference between those 2 numbers and a guards perceived pay scale. Given that his versatility to be able to play well at any position adds a lot of value, if the Packers want to retain Jenkins and he comes back fully from his ACL injury, they might have to pay him close to what Bahk got back in 2020. Factor in the Packers future cap problem, as well as Gary being due for a new contract, potentially close to top 5-10 OLB money, the Jenkins deal will be tricky at best.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins should, and will, be paid like a high-end Tackle. The problem becomes do the Packers have 2 top-5-paid OT's by re-signing Jenkins OR (assuming Nijman plays well at RT or LT filling in for still-rehabbing Bakh) re-sign Nijman at an ascending OT pay? A LOT of ifs involved, so Gute must wait to see what happens on the OL into October/November before re-signing Jenkins and/or Nijman.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jenkins should, and will, be paid like a high-end Tackle. The problem becomes do the Packers have 2 top-5-paid OT's by re-signing Jenkins OR (assuming Nijman plays well at RT or LT filling in for still-rehabbing Bakh) or re-sign Nijman at an ascending OT pay? A LOT of ifs involved, so Gute must wait to see what happens on the OL into October/November before re-signing Jenkins and/or Nijman.
Yes, they have time and games ahead in which to make a decision. Jenkins injury doesn't help him at all, but helps the Packers decide if they can justify paying him what he probably will get from other teams, by being able to see what life without him is. I actually can see a scenario where they trade Bahk next year and resign Jenkins. Tagging and trading Jenkins is an option as well, but in either case, they should try to get draft pick(s) in exchange for either player, if it is determined that they can only afford to keep 1.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they have time and games ahead in which to make a decision. Jenkins injury doesn't help him at all, but helps the Packers decide if they can justify paying him what he probably will get from other teams, by being able to see what life without him is. I actually can see a scenario where they trade Bahk next year and resign Jenkins. Tagging and trading Jenkins is an option as well, but in either case, they should try to get draft pick(s) in exchange for either player, if it is determined that they can only afford to keep 1.
I too can see the distinct possibility of one of those two not being here in 23. I don't think it's an accident that 3 more OL were drafted in 22. I would be quite surprised to see two monstrous salaried guys on the OL in 23. In all honesty, I see almost no chance that Jenkins can command Bakhtiari's salary from any team in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In all honesty, I see almost no chance that Jenkins can command Bakhtiari's salary from any team in the league.
If he comes back 100% from his injury, I think someone will be willing to pay him $20M/year to play left tackle. The guy has played every position and has excelled at all of them.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, its tempting to speculate about who will be on the 53 man roster for 2022. Looking at who they have signed, it apprars that many of the roster spots are there for players to lose. This roster assumes that a player is healthy and special teams devotes a spot to KR.

QB-Rodgers, Love
RB-Dillon, Jones, Taylor
TE-Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Davis
WR-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Toure
C-Myers, Menet
OG-Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom
OT- Bahktiari, Nijman, Jenkins

DL-Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB- Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Ramsey
ILB- Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Summers
S- Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Scott
CB- Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Veteren to be added later

K-Eberle
P-O'Donnel
LS-Wirtel
KR- Doubs

I agree with alot of this personnel AND depth chart. Here's what I don't agree with.

1.) I wonder if Lewis will be cut this year so that Aaron has to start fresh with a whole bunch of new guys.

2.) I don't agree with the receiving corps depth chart as listed here. I think it's Watkins and Lazard or Watkins and Watson. I think Cobb is #4...I'd also like to THINK Amare Rodgers will be here but I'm 50/50 here.

3.) I think Tom is a swing player not just a guard.

4.) Jenkins if healthy will be a Guard not a Tackle.

5.) I think initially week 1 Barnes is in front of Walker if this was 2023 I would totally agree with your ILB depth.

6.) I'll believe Mason Crosby is gone when I see it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with alot of this personnel AND depth chart. Here's what I don't agree with.

1.) I wonder if Lewis will be cut this year so that Aaron has to start fresh with a whole bunch of new guys.

4.) Jenkins if healthy will be a Guard not a Tackle.
1. I think the Packers will use more 2-TE sets as they put slightly more emphasis on the run game in '22. Lewis will play his usual 50%ish of the offensive snaps while Davis, Deguara, & Tonyan rotate in opposite him or replacing him. This allows more run/pass flexibility in the play calling.

2. Jenkins, when healthy, should be installed at RT if Bakh is ok, or LT if Bakh is done. He'll be paid in '23 as a stud OT so will be playing there IMHO.

Reaction score
5.) I think initially week 1 Barnes is in front of Walker if this was 2023 I would totally agree with your ILB depth.
Agreed with most of what you said, for starters. I’m not so sure about this, a #22 is a lot of draft capital to be relegated to a minimal role.

The one exception though, if Barry is able to develop Walker as that Swiss Army knife, essentially using him in a more non-conventional way. Moving him around if you will, thus enabling both players to see lots of playing time. Barnes is still very valuable as a #3 ILB and key component on ST, Where he has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dull 2021 unit.

No disrespect to a solid contributor in Barnes. However as far as strictly LB? Walker is an immediate upgrade, but some game experience would make him a big upgrade.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If he comes back 100% from his injury, I think someone will be willing to pay him $20M/year to play left tackle. The guy has played every position and has excelled at all of them.
I don't see it. Jenkins is a good player for sure and provides significant value to a team because of his versatility but I don't think other teams value him as much as the Packers would.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bakhtiari is a guy everyone better freaking pray returns to at minimum starting level form (not even his pro-bowl self) because there is ZERO savings cutting him if he cannot go this year essentially...and in 2023 you cut him you're only saving $5.9M and paying him still on cap $23M...

The Packers could actually save $16.8 million of cap space for the 2023 season by moving on from Bakhtiari before March 20 though.

In addition to being -$14Mil for 2023 that does NOT include re-signing any of the following Free Agents:
Adrian Amos, Robert Tonyan, Elgton Jenkins, Allen Lazard, Yosh Nijman, Marcedes Lewis,...

and any of these "old" FA that GB may wish to keep around for another year or 2:
Randall Cobb, Mason Crosby, Dean Lowry, Jarran Reed, Sammy Watkins, Ty Summers, or Keisean Nizon.

Any re-signings will add at least $1Mil to the 2023 cap and further extend cap-hell with dummy years.

On the other hand the Packers can create significant cap space by restructuring the contracts of Bakhtiari, Preston Smith, Clark, Alexander, Aaron Jones, Gary and Savage though.

I actually can see a scenario where they trade Bahk next year and resign Jenkins.

There's a chance of that happening although it needs to be done before March 20 with a roster bonus of $9.5 million being due at that point

I think initially week 1 Barnes is in front of Walker if this was 2023 I would totally agree with your ILB depth.

I fully expect Walker to be the starter next to Campbell from week 1 on.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed with most of what you said, for starters. I’m not so sure about this, a #22 is a lot of draft capital to be relegated to a minimal role.

The one exception though, if Barry is able to develop Walker as that Swiss Army knife, essentially using him in a more non-conventional way. Moving him around if you will, thus enabling both players to see lots of playing time. Barnes is still very valuable as a #3 ILB and key component on ST, Where he has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dull 2021 unit.

No disrespect to a solid contributor in Barnes. However as far as strictly LB? Walker is an immediate upgrade, but some game experience would make him a big upgrade.

It came down to experience for me. Barnes has it Walker doesn't. I think by mid-season I could have the depth chart flipped.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety Dallin Leavitt to me is no doubter to make the roster. You don't put forth decent/solid depth snaps on defense 21% of the snaps and lead his team in ST snaps (71+%) for Bisaccia to sign and not be part of the plan in 2022. The question is does this mean we keep 5 safeties or could this push Tariq off (build his special traits a year on PS)...Amos and Savage arguably are the only LOCKS...many say Davis has been looking excellent of late..

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pre-Preseason 53 man roster. (8/9/2022)
(Jenkins, Bakhtiari, Hill on pup)

Offensive(25)
QB (2) - Rodgers, Love
RB (3) - Dillon, Jones, Goodson
TE (5) - Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Davis, Dafney
WR (6) - Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9) - Jenkins, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Newman, Nijman, Rhyan, Tom, Van Lanen

Defensive (25)
DL (5) - Clark, Reed, Wyatt, Lowry, Slaton
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Hamilton, Galeai
ILB (4) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie
S (5) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Leavitt, Gaines
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Gafford

Special Teams (3)
K - Crosby
P - O'Donnell
LS - Coco

Last edited:
Reaction score
I see Vernon Scott isn’t anywhere on that list, yet he was the first candidate up when Savage tweaked a muscle on family night. Interesting.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Vernon Scott isn’t anywhere on that list, yet he was the first candidate up when Savage tweaked a muscle on family night. Interesting.

Vernon from all accounts may be the most improved in the defensive side of the ball from last year to this year.

Reaction score
Vernon from all accounts may be the most improved in the defensive side of the ball from last year to this year.
Yes. I had just read an article related to him and his recent rise.

Odd. I also saw a depth chart the other day that was released by the Packers but it did say “unofficial”

It at Brkic listed as our K which I thought odd
It had Vernon Scott at that backup Safety spot
Gafford at KR
Garvin backing up Preston

It may have been a preseason version idk. It goes to show that the depth chart isn’t an exact science

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. I had just read an article related to him and his recent rise.

Odd. I also saw a depth chart the other day that was released by the Packers but it did say “unofficial”

It at Brkic listed as our K which I thought odd
It had Vernon Scott at that backup Safety spot
Gafford at KR
Garvin backing up Preston

It may have been a preseason version idk. It goes to show that the depth chart isn’t an exact science

Crosby has been on PUP that is why

D

Deleted member 6794

OL (9) - Nijman, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Newman, Nijman, Rhyan, Tom, Van Lanen

I'm impressed Nijman will make the roster twice ;)

Scott has lined up with the 1s in practice since Savage was injured during Family Night as well. In addition Shawn Davis was the other safety receiving playing time with the first team as well.

Therefore I would be extremely surprised if Carpenter and Gaines both make the roster instead of them.

For all of those interested, here's the depth chart OldSchool was referring to.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Pre-Preseason 53 man roster. (8/9/2022)
(Jenkins, Bakhtiari, Hill on pup)

Offensive(25)
QB (2) - Rodgers, Love
RB (3) - Dillon, Jones, Goodson
TE (5) - Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Davis, Dafney
WR (6) - Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9) - Nijman, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Newman, Nijman, Rhyan, Tom, Van Lanen

Defensive (25)
DL (5) - Clark, Reed, Wyatt, Lowry, Slaton
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Hamilton, Galeai
ILB (4) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie
S (5) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Leavitt, Gaines
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Gafford

Special Teams (3)
K - Crosby
P - O'Donnell
LS - Coco
This would pretty much be my guess beyond Jenkins coming off of PUP. I think they move Van Lanen to the practice squad. Also, either Davis or Dafney are out. I would guess they keep Dafney, but have heard Davis has more upside. Neither of those guys send us to the promise land, so I'm not too worried which one makes it. Toure might sneak on as well, but I'd wager he starts the season on the practice squad.

Edit: Agreed with @captainWIMM about the safety position. Scott makes the 53 and I'm indifferent to Carpenter and Gaines.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Pkrjones is correct there is no assuming healthy with Jenkins for sure, maybe some wiggle with Tonyan but I even expect him on PUP to start as well.

My early than appropriate projection....with *assuming not on PUP AND not adding anyone to the roster not here presently as of 5/4/2022

Offensive
QB (2)-Rodgers, Love
RB (3)-Dillon, Jones, Hill*
TE (3)-Tonyan*, Deguara, Lewis, Davis
WR (6)-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9)-Myers, Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom, Bahktiari, Nijman, Walker, Menet

Defensive
DL (6) - Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Tipa
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Brooks
S (4) - Savage, Amos, Carpenter, Scott
CB (6) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon, Ento

Special Teams
ST (3)
K-Crosby
P-O'Donnel
LS-Wirtel

****That is 52 above...final spot comes down in my opinion to special teams leaning to how much a Dafney (TE) or a Tre Sterling (S) or a Toure (WR) can provide.

Practice Squad Locks IMO:
Das Boooooot (Eberle), Hanson, Toure, Goodson, Sterling, Van Lanen, Taylor (if able under PS rules)

Well every week I'll amend my projection at this point....few shifts thanks to PUP news needed and Wirtel cut since of course:

Offensive
QB (2)-Rodgers, Love
RB (3)-Dillon, Jones, Goodson Hill*PUP*
TE (4)-Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Dafney
WR (6)-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9)-Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom, Bahktiari*PUP*, Nijman, Van Lanen, Hanson

Defensive
DL (6) - Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Tipa
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Brooks, McDuffie
S (5) - Savage, Amos, Scott, Davis, Gaines
CB (5) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon

Special Teams
ST (3)
K-Crosby
P-O'Donnel
LS-Coco

To me the toughest thing is trying to figure out 2 of five spots out of keeping a 7th WR, a 4th TE, a 5th ILB, 5th Safety, 6th CB

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Little caveat to my prediction.....I think Dallin Leavitt makes the 53 for a day, flips to IR and Tariq or Gaines gets nod up....right now I predict Gaines.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, either Davis or Dafney are out. I would guess they keep Dafney, but have heard Davis has more upside. Neither of those guys send us to the promise land, so I'm not too worried which one makes it.

Tyler Davis needs to be much improved over the next two preseason games to justify using a roster spot on him.

Little caveat to my prediction.....I think Dallin Leavitt makes the 53 for a day, flips to IR and Tariq or Gaines gets nod up....right now I predict Gaines.

I think the Packers could reach an injury settlement with Leavitt as well to be able to sign him once again later in the season when healthy. In my opinion there's no need to risk losing another player to have him on the initial 53 as other teams didn't line up to sign him this offseason.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyler Davis needs to be much improved over the next two preseason games to justify using a roster spot on him.

I think the Packers could reach an injury settlement with Leavitt as well to be able to sign him once again later in the season when healthy. In my opinion there's no need to risk losing another player to have him on the initial 53 as other teams didn't line up to sign him this offseason.

True, that is a route and a player of his level for lack of a better term, that could be more the route than as I described which is more used for higher level roster guys.

Members online

Latest posts