53 man roster for 2022

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 5 more players getting cut by Tuesday afternoon I think the Tyler Davis (TE) experiment is over. He's been lowest rated (per PFF) offensive player 2 weeks in a row. Others buried on the depth chart who may join his exit are: DL Ford, OLB Manac, ILB Summers, RB Taylor or Williams, WR Human, and/or DE Byers. MLF still needs to field a team this week so availability & numbers at a position needs to factor into the cuts.
While I agree Summers is cut this year I think he's final cut down. I would say Ford, Manac, And Byers are gone this week for sure.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 5 more players getting cut by Tuesday afternoon I think the Tyler Davis (TE) experiment is over. He's been lowest rated (per PFF) offensive player 2 weeks in a row. Others buried on the depth chart who may join his exit are: DL Ford, OLB Manac, ILB Summers, RB Taylor or Williams, WR Hyman, and/or DE Byers. MLF still needs to field a team this week so availability & numbers at a position needs to factor into the cuts.
Expectations for Davis were pretty high, right? Bummer.

Ty is pretty high on RB Goodson. I'll keep an eye on him next week. I thought Taylor and Williams played well last season, but I could be totally wrong. It's important for the Packers to have a solid RB "food chain" for two reasons - 1) it can be cap friendly and 2) it can help with the loss of a future FA like Jones or Dillon. So if Goodson is that guy, bring him on!

Last edited:
Reaction score
You guys think Dexter Williams is our third best back?

Speechless.
Im assuming they meant ready to go RB?

I have Williams a smidge behind Goodson. But not a ton of separation there. Williams has the benefit of several years in the playbook and he’s shown nicely thus far in limited. I would stash Williams on PS though.

Out of all RB in the league (5 carry min) Williams is #6 in yards per at 6.6 so far in preseason. He literally got the ball 3 consecutive times Fri from backed up inside our 5 yard line and got the first down easily to give us breathing room. He’s 1 stellar game from making this roster.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
With 5 more players getting cut by Tuesday afternoon I think the Tyler Davis (TE) experiment is over. He's been lowest rated (per PFF) offensive player 2 weeks in a row. Others buried on the depth chart who may join his exit are: DL Ford, OLB Manac, ILB Summers, RB Taylor or Williams, WR Hyman, and/or DE Byers. MLF still needs to field a team this week so availability & numbers at a position needs to factor into the cuts.
I'll step out on a limb and say that Davis is likely to make the final 53 man roster.

My reasons?

1. He's been playing with Love in the 2 games. I haven't heard any negatives from camp practices when Rodgers has been throwing to him.

2. He plays the same role pretty much as Tonyan and I suspect the staff will want to ease Tonyan in slowly early on in the season.

3. He has some playing history with Rodgers from last year and we've already got our share of newbie receivers.

Therefore, unless Davis's head as gone completely off the rails, I expect him to get a roster spot. I'll be really surprised if they were to keep 7 WR's like some have suggested.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll step out on a limb and say that Davis is likely to make the final 53 man roster.

My reasons?

1. He's been playing with Love in the 2 games. I haven't heard any negatives from camp practices when Rodgers has been throwing to him.

2. He plays the same role pretty much as Tonyan and I suspect the staff will want to ease Tonyan in slowly early on in the season.

3. He has some playing history with Rodgers from last year and we've already got our share of newbie receivers.

Therefore, unless Davis's head as gone completely off the rails, I expect him to get a roster spot. I'll be really surprised if they were to keep 7 WR's like some have suggested.
All good points. I don't see them carrying more than 6 WRs. Some of those guys cut will clear waivers and make it back to the PS.

And I thought Davis was doing fine - well I hadn't heard Rodgers complain about him, usually a pretty reliable indicator that a guy is doing ok. And they need a receiving TE to ease Tonyan back in, as you note, and just to develop another TE who can split a seam. The other TEs are primarily blockers or part-time HBs.

So yeah, I think Davis will make the 53. And I don't think they'd want to risk him clearing waivers to put on the PS.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll step out on a limb and say that Davis is likely to make the final 53 man roster...

We'll find out soon enough. I actually think Sal Cannella is Tonyan's under-study as receiving TE.
If GB keeps 4 TE's it may come down to Cannella or Becker, depending on if they want/need better receiving or blocking out of a backup TE.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll find out soon enough. I actually think Sal Cannella is Tonyan's under-study as receiving TE.
If GB keeps 4 TE's it may come down to Cannella or Becker, depending on if they want/need better receiving or blocking out of a backup TE.
Well I'll be happy if they can groom one more receiving TE to complement Tonyan. And I roughly identify a "receiving TE" as one who can gain yards after the catch. Lewis and DeGuarra can catch the ball, but they aren't going to get far with it. That's just my opinion. Stats may say otherwise.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'll be happy if they can groom one more receiving TE to complement Tonyan. And I roughly identify a "receiving TE" as one who can gain yards after the catch. Lewis and DeGuarra can catch the ball, but they aren't going to get far with it. That's just my opinion. Stats may say otherwise.

Deguara is not the blundering slow TE that Lewis is…I’m sorry if this comes across rough but sometimes I question how much you actually watch the team play lol

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't resign Kevin King...theres a reason nobody else wants him. And its not his asking price. He just doesn't have it mentally to be part of a championship team. His unforced errors cost this team one trip to the SB already, lets not get in position for it to happen again. Fool me once...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't resign Kevin King...theres a reason nobody else wants him. And its not his asking price. He just doesn't have it mentally to be part of a championship team. His unforced errors cost this team one trip to the SB already, lets not get in position for it to happen again. Fool me once...

Where'd this come from? Is there a development I have missed?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara is not the blundering slow TE that Lewis is…I’m sorry if this comes across rough but sometimes I question how much you actually watch the team play lol
Read my comment again. Do you see me compare DeGuarra to Lewis? The point is that neither goes very far when they catch the ball. But yeah, DeGuarra can certainly go farther than Lewis, for what that's worth. Makes me wonder though if you know how to read. LOL.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but what is it lately with the rudeness and insults on this forum? It's not widespread, only a few people. But c'mon man - we come here to express opinions and read other opinions. Don't read anything extra into a person's comments, and if something isn't clear, ask for clarification.

I don't come here to be insulted, or to insult anyone else. That's all. Thanks for reading.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read my comment again. Do you see me compare DeGuarra to Lewis? The point is that neither goes very far when they catch the ball. But yeah, DeGuarra can certainly go farther than Lewis, for what that's worth. Makes me wonder though if you know how to read. LOL.

But you're saying things without actually checking to see if true at all, or so it seems (whether I'm wrong or right)?

So let's compare the three TEs we have with what stats are available, for only their times in GB which is four years for Tonyan and Lewis and two for Deguara:

#1 - One of them has an average yards per target of 8.9 but a yards per reception average of 11.5 - this player has averaged 4.3 yards after catch per reception according to PFF premium stats.
#2 - One of them has an average yards per target of 7.3 but a yards per reception average of 9.9 - this player has averaged 6.0 yards after catch per reception according to PFF premium stats.
#3 - One of them has an average yards per target of 7.6 but a yards per reception average of 10.11 - this player has averaged 6.33 yards after catch per reception according to PFF premium stats.

Here's where I'm blown away....tell me which player is which?? I would have gotten these wrong I think entirely...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me, but what is it lately with the rudeness and insults on this forum? It's not widespread, only a few people. But c'mon man - we come here to express opinions and read other opinions. Don't read anything extra into a person's comments, and if something isn't clear, ask for clarification.

I don't come here to be insulted, or to insult anyone else. That's all. Thanks for reading.

Apologies if coming at me. Been through some RL crap and wonder if that has been part of my issues if there has been some. Appreciate the accountablity.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apologies if coming at me. Been through some RL crap and wonder if that has been part of my issues if there has been some. Appreciate the accountablity.
I admit your reply triggered it, but it's actually been other people. You are very direct and accountable and that's appreciated. And you know your stuff. So all is well with you and me. And I hope whatever you're dealing with passes.

Thanks for the reply.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Heyjoe4

To continue the discussion....the crazy thing is here are the three again:

#1 - One of them has an average yards per target of 8.9 but a yards per reception average of 11.5 - this player has averaged 4.3 yards after catch per reception according to PFF premium stats.
#2 - One of them has an average yards per target of 7.3 but a yards per reception average of 9.9 - this player has averaged 6.0 yards after catch per reception according to PFF premium stats.
#3 - One of them has an average yards per target of 7.6 but a yards per reception average of 10.11 - this player has averaged 6.33 yards after catch per reception according to PFF premium stats.

Those players above are Tonyan #1, Deguara #2 and Lewis #3

Now, this all of course must be factored into the sample size each player has and over more use one would expect perhaps less and less YAC to occur as the chances of breaking plays and such overtime will decrease of coure...you're more likely to have skewed YAC numbers if you barely get targeted but then have a 20+ yac yarder a season you know?

Either way statistically I guess even Lewis has threat...albeit his mainly because he is left untouch on block and shed routes which typically are many of his non redzone targets...and his 5 - 6 yards on such a play start as one yard receptions and even he can make up four or 5 yards before coverage attacks him after not covering him.

Either way I'm shocked at where the stats point honestly....really pictured Tonyan and Deguara being similar (expected in that maybe 4.5-5.5 range) and Lewis to be sub 4.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Heyjoe4

To continue the discussion....the crazy thing is here are the three again:

Those players above are Tonyan #1, Deguara #2 and Lewis #3

Now, this all of course must be factored into the sample size each player has and over more use one would expect perhaps less and less YAC to occur as the chances of breaking plays and such overtime will decrease of coure...you're more likely to have skewed YAC numbers if you barely get targeted but then have a 20+ yac yarder a season you know?

Either way statistically I guess even Lewis has threat...albeit his mainly because he is left untouch on block and shed routes which typically are many of his non redzone targets...and his 5 - 6 yards on such a play start as one yard receptions and even he can make up four or 5 yards before coverage attacks him after not covering him.

Either way I'm shocked at where the stats point honestly....really pictured Tonyan and Deguara being similar (expected in that maybe 4.5-5.5 range) and Lewis to be sub 4.
Wow, I never would have guessed that those were the YAC rankings for these three guys. Thanks for the info. I can almost understand Lewis. He is rarely targeted and rarely covered well so he can lumber his way for another 5-10 yards after the catch. DeGuarra does surprise me though.

Thanks for the stats.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say about Sal Cannella is that he looked real good on his one opportunity. I hope he gets a couple more.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I can say about Sal Cannella is that he looked real good on his one opportunity. I hope he gets a couple more.

He also excelled in a different football setting in the USFL.

He posted the 11th most receiving yards in the league it appears according to Foxsports.

368 yards in 10 games, no drops it says, 34 receptions on 61 targets (55.7%), 2 TDs. So that is 10.8 yards per reception and 36.8 per game.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also excelled in a different football setting in the USFL.

He posted the 11th most receiving yards in the league it appears according to Foxsports.

368 yards in 10 games, no drops it says, 34 receptions on 61 targets (55.7%), 2 TDs. So that is 10.8 yards per reception and 36.8 per game.
Is this Cannella's first time trying out for the Packers? I'm not familiar with him. Thanks. (And I do admit I have not been watching much of the PS games :cool: or I'd know this stuff.)

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Is this Cannella's first time trying out for the Packers? I'm not familiar with him. Thanks. (And I do admit I have not been watching much of the PS games :cool: or I'd know this stuff.)
"He participated as a tryout player for the Chicago Bears in 2020 but didn’t sign, and he spent four days on the roster of the Miami Dolphins in 2021."

This is from Packers Wire. I didn't know much about him either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He participated as a tryout player for the Chicago Bears in 2020 but didn’t sign, and he spent four days on the roster of the Miami Dolphins in 2021."

Interesting, thanks. Well after Gluten picked up Douglas last year from the Cardinals PS, and Campbell, I have faith in his ability to spot forgotten talent. We need the help at TE, for sure. I don't ever remember going into a season where I felt better about the Packers defense than the offense. Well, at least not for as long as Favre and Rodgers have been QB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So Sal is a UDFA from Auburn in 2021.

He took the JUCO route prior to Auburn - his two final years at Auburn he put up 5TDs and 299 yards on just 22 catches. That is nearly 25% of his catches were scores and illustrated how he was not relied on until redzone much, he does however have very good hands for his size (6'5' 230+).

Undrafted and did not make a NFL team in any fashion he focused on his own clothing line. However, the USFL rebooted and he went on to be one of the league's leading receivers in yards across the league...and catching the eye of some teams.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This cannot be right as he was still playing for Auburn until the 2021 bowl games....and then went undrafted in 2021.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well every week I'll amend my projection at this point....few shifts thanks to PUP news needed and Wirtel cut since of course:

Offensive
QB (2)-Rodgers, Love
RB (3)-Dillon, Jones, Goodson Hill*PUP*
TE (4)-Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Dafney
WR (6)-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9)-Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom, Bahktiari*PUP*, Nijman, Van Lanen, Hanson

Defensive
DL (6) - Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton, Heflin
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Tipa
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, Brooks, McDuffie
S (5) - Savage, Amos, Scott, Davis, Gaines
CB (5) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon

Special Teams
ST (3)
K-Crosby
P-O'Donnel
LS-Coco

To me the toughest thing is trying to figure out 2 of five spots out of keeping a 7th WR, a 4th TE, a 5th ILB, 5th Safety, 6th CB

Weekly Update Projections for me (again no not in a depth chart order)

Offensive (23)
QB (2)-Rodgers, Love
RB (3)-Dillon, Jones, Goodson (Hill*PUP*)
TE (4)-Tonyan, Deguara, Lewis, Cannella
WR (6)-Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers, Watkins, Watson, Doubs
OL (9)-Jenkins, Myers, Runyan, Newman, Ryhan, Tom, Bahktiari, Nijman, Hanson

Defensive (26)
DL (5) - Clark. Reed, Wyat, Lowry, Slaton
OLB (5) - Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin, Tipa
ILB (5) - Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie, Summers
S (6) - Savage, Amos, Scott, Davis, Abernathy, Carpenter
CB (5) - Alexander, Douglas, Stokes, SJC, Nixon

Special Teams (4)
ST (3)
K-Crosby