53 man roster for 2022

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see it. I think he’d be worth a shot, though I don’t see it happening, given our track record for hardly signing any of these guys during this time of year.

Gute has proven to be quite the opposite and constantly churning in and out depth signings as well as additions each season. I 100% believe we will see a signing before the season starts of some variation...and I believe a veteran type addition will occur before week 4 that will be either an OLB, TE or S.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute has proven to be quite the opposite and constantly churning in and out depth signings as well as additions each season. I 100% believe we will see a signing before the season starts of some variation...and I believe a veteran type addition will occur before week 4 that will be either an OLB, TE or S.
I could see that. I don’t know about TE though. Lewis brings us that veteran presence to a pretty deep position group. I’m definitely not opposed to vet signings though. That can be a big morale booster for any position group meeting room.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the only way that is GB is if neither Taylor or Goodson can be had back for PS. Out of our 6 RBs (Jones, Dillon, Hill, Taylor, Goodson, Dexter) he is 6th.
It actually wouldn't surprise me if the Packers just protect the 2 AJ's on the initial 53, I believe Hill is protected since he is on PUP. I doubt teams go after both Taylor and Goodson and at least 1 if not both will be there for the PS. Seems like most teams have a bevy of WR's and RB's that "they/fans like". Familiarity with the offense might be one of the reasons.

I feel the same about Winfree. Sure, he is an ok #7 guy, but is he really worth protecting over say a young OL prospect?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm seeing:

Releases/Cuts

TE Sal Cannella
DL Akial Byers
S De'Vante Cross
TE Alize Mack
RB Dexter Williams
CB Kabion Ento

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It actually wouldn't surprise me if the Packers just protect the 2 AJ's on the initial 53, I believe Hill is protected since he is on PUP. I doubt teams go after both Taylor and Goodson and at least 1 if not both will be there for the PS. Seems like most teams have a bevy of WR's and RB's that "they/fans like". Familiarity with the offense might be one of the reasons.

I feel the same about Winfree. Sure, he is an ok #7 guy, but is he really worth protecting over say a young OL prospect?

Yes Hill is protected on PUP...it is a thought process I don't hate if they feel they want the insurance of keeping another guy that is likely to be grabbed in their opinions. Odds are low that BOTH Taylor and Goodson get grabbed so while is it a gamble...technically but I would say quite low risk of losing both and just minimal risk of losing one.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Hill is protected on PUP...it is a thought process I don't hate if they feel they want the insurance of keeping another guy that is likely to be grabbed in their opinions. Odds are low that BOTH Taylor and Goodson get grabbed so while is it a gamble...technically but I would say quite low risk of losing both and just minimal risk of losing one.
Same logic can be used at OLB after Enegbarre and the starters and at safety after the 2 starters.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heflin is being waived...to me this signals we may only keep 5....unless Chris Slayton earned a spot.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same logic can be used at OLB after Enegbarre and the starters and at safety after the 2 starters.

Correct. They'll keep 4 OLB minimum but could use the same logic type approach. Heflin was one guy I felt they'd keep on initial 53 and then perhaps later move him to PS...but nope just got word he is gone. 10 OL is a real option I think we may see.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks as though Winfree is waived as well...getting conflicting reports on this...but appears so.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how a thread for just cuts? keep the roster threads for the guys on the roster

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't like the Packers signing Jones to his current deal, especially after using a second rounder on his replacement in Dillon. Don't get me wrong, the team most likely has the best running back tandem in the league but they could have used that cap space on a position more difficult to add talent via the draft.
Can't agree with this. Letting Jones go? If he had pushed for $15 mil plus/year then yeah, let him walk. But he agreed to what I thought was a reasonable contract given his production. It's hard to quantify, but I'm guessing having Jones AND Dillon was responsible for at least several wins.

Now when it comes time to pay Dillon, they will have to let one of them walk. Hopefully Goodson or another back ascends to the #2 position. Even so, the run game will take a hard hit when both of them aren't on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't agree with this. Letting Jones go? If he had pushed for $15 mil plus/year then yeah, let him walk. But he agreed to what I thought was a reasonable contract given his production. It's hard to quantify, but I'm guessing having Jones AND Dillon was responsible for at least several wins.

Now when it comes time to pay Dillon, they will have to let one of them walk. Hopefully Goodson or another back ascends to the #2 position. Even so, the run game will take a hard hit when both of them aren't on the roster.

Jones deal is done after this year structurally it cannot see a year beyond 2022 unless restructured. They'll choose Dillon over Jones every day of the week at the figure Jones jumps to...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Don't get too married to that logic ;)

Aaron Jones cap hit next year is over $20M....something is going to have to give. Either a new deal, trade or cut.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon Joe, really? Rounds 1-3...
'18: Alexander (missed on Jackson & Burks)
'19 draft: Gary, Savage, Jenkins (missed on Sternberger in 3rd)
'20: Love, Dillon, Deguara
'21: Stokes, Myers, A. Rodgers
'22: unknown, but should be good/great if anywhere close to potential.
That's at least 7 starters, at least 3 are All-pro caliber (Gary, Jenkins, Alexander), and quite possibly 10 core players for next 3-5 years. Gute has done great in rounds 1-3 restocking young high-end talent, IMHO.
I stand corrected Pk. Nice summary of Gluten's accomplishments in the early rounds. Two-thirds of the CB group came from the draft, and the other from a PS. Gluten has made mistakes, but very few all in all.

And this proves that he thinks beyond the current season. Look at Gary and Dillon. A lot of fans were questioning the Gary pick right after the FA acquisition of the Smith Bros. And why a 2nd rounder on Dillon when Jones was the alpha back? Now it looks brilliant, from both production and financial standpoints.

Reaction score
Yeah. If that grouping, I see the OLB as the most critical. They like to rotate out 4 guys and we’re really speculative past Enagbare, maybe speculative with him :laugh:
I think Enagbare can spell Preston a bit, but I’d like to turn over some rocks like we did last season with Mercilus to backup Gary

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones deal is done after this year structurally it cannot see a year beyond 2022 unless restructured. They'll choose Dillon over Jones every day of the week at the figure Jones jumps to...
I agree that Dillon is a better back than Jones. There's certainly nothing wrong with Jones, but IMO Dillon can do anything that Jones can, with a lower risk of injury. What he might lack in speed and cutting ability, he makes up for with sheer force.

Members online

Latest posts