53 man roster for 2022

Reaction score
If we can get some health on OL we’ll be able to really ramp up our Running game early in.

I think I’d be fine with Jones Dillon Goodson for 3. Goodson really shined and earned that spot imo. He can catch and run and Goodson reminds me of Hill quality when he’s healthy.
Taylor if we kept 4 or until we figure out what’s up with Khylin

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodson is the longer term replacement for AJ when is contract balloon hits and compliments Dillon far better than Taylor. If we can somehow retain two of the three (Hill, Goodson, Taylor) via active and PS heading into next year I’ll be a lot less nervous about life post Jones (unless we restructure his massive hit to stay.)

Reaction score
Goodson is the longer term replacement for AJ when is contract balloon hits and compliments Dillon far better than Taylor. If we can somehow retain two of the three (Hill, Goodson, Taylor) via active and PS heading into next year I’ll be a lot less nervous about life post Jones (unless we restructure his massive hit to stay.)
Especially less concern after possibly another years experience (Hill?) for the group

@tynimiller
So it’s 53 Roster +16 PS by Aug 30 business Day close.

How many can they use injury designations ? They don’t count towards either # correct ?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think people are overlooking the tandem of RBs the Packers have. Dillion is one more year experienced and is going to be a beast. WRs may be lacking, but this team is now almost fully built in the MLF mode. Run heavy and a great defense. Add to that the MVP of the league at QB and I think it will work out. I'm excited to see the RBs go to work.

I fully expect both Dillon and Jones to be much more involved as targets in the passing game. That has actually already happened in the games Adams missed in the past.

2.) I'm not sure about Amari Rodgers. Yes he has improved. Enough to keep Winfree off the team?

It's entirely possible both Rodgers and Winfree end up making the roster.

3.) I'm having a TOUGH time keep Rhyan on this team over Rasheed Walker. Who ever doesn't make it I expect to be on PS though.

I highly doubt the Packers are ready to move from Rhyan after they spent a third rounder on him in April.
Rodgers is a no brainer. They will give him another season. It's between Winfree and Toure for the final spot.

It's possible none of them make the roster if the Packers decide to keep only six wide receivers as well.

My thoughts were to re-sign Jamaal Williams and use the Jones money to try and keep Linsley. Not sure if it could have been done financially but that was my 1st choice. I also love A. Jones and have no problem how it worked out.

Actually Linsley signed for a slightly larger average salary per year than Jones did.
I think I’d be fine with Jones Dillon Goodson for 3. Goodson really shined and earned that spot imo. He can catch and run and Goodson reminds me of Hill quality when he’s healthy.
Taylor if we kept 4 or until we figure out what’s up with Khylin

The Packers probably will sign at least one running back to the practice squad but I highly doubt they will keep four on the 53.

@tynimiller
So it’s 53 Roster +16 PS by Aug 30 business Day close.

How many can they use injury designations ? They don’t count towards either # correct ?

The Packers need to reduce their roster to 53 by August 30, 4pm New York time. Players being released at that point must clear waivers before it's possible to sign them to the practice squad, which can be done starting on August 31 at noon NY time.

The Packers can use injury designations on as many players as they want to. With that being said only Crosby and Hill, who are currently still on the PUP list, can be put on that one for the regular season.

There are some caveats that come with the injured reserve list though. First of all, a player needs to make the initial roster for him to be allowed to be designated to return later in the season. In addition teams will only be allowed to have eight players return from IR at any point this season.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ty Summers gone..finally!! Hated seeing him on the field!! Glad we finally have some competent ilbs!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers doing the honorable thing cutting Summers early, giving him a chance to latch on elsewhere before final cuts. Another team may find him to be a better option than their current #5 ILB.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Summers finally gone. This year it was inevitable. Always got frustrated trying to see him dance around blockers and widening his gap by a mile. Wish him the best down the road.

Reaction score
This was an obvious one after seeing McDuffie improve drastically, plus the drafting #22 Overall.
I was really surprised he lasted this long as his only true value was on an abysmal ST unit. I really thought we would’ve cleaned house there.

Good Luck Ty!

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I say everything else I want it understood full transparency I have Summers' jersey and had it since he was a rookie.

I believed in this kid since he put in that first 2 weeks as a rookie. First on Family Night, then the 1st pre-season game when we had a starting spot open and he looked like the dude to take it.

I believe that he still does something for a football team that may help wherever he lands win a championship.

Last year's ST unit I can honestly tell you I saw Oren Burks miss tackles and blow assignments on at least 2 long run backs, both of which I believe led to TDs. On the first one Summers was right there to tackle the guy and missed.

I knew when McDuffie was being pushed by broadcasters this pre-season that if he didn't ball out and show he'd picked up his game that he was cooked. Ty himself barely moved the needle in his favor from the needle being totally pinned against him.

Would've loved to see him here this year to see if it was Burks, Summers or a combo of both that caused last year's issues. Now we'll never know.

If him being gone is the missing piece to fixing the ST and winning another ring then I'm all for it.

Either way I wish he and his family well going forward.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
It's possible none of them make the roster if the Packers decide to keep only six wide receivers as well.
I'd be shocked if they cut A. Rodgers. They'll give him another year.
The Packers need to reduce their roster to 53 by August 30, 4pm New York time. Players being released at that point must clear waivers before it's possible to sign them to the practice squad, which can be done starting on August 31 at noon NY time.
If a team signs a player that was cut off the waiver wire do they need to sign them to their 53? I read a few things, but can't seem to find this and most sports sites are blocked at work.

Krabs

Reaction score
The Taylor/Goodson debate on who to keep is maybe both. Each is a good back up - Jones/Goodson and Dillon/Taylor.
I don't think there is enough space on the roster to justify keeping four RBs. One will be put on the practice squad. I thought that Goodson looked better than Taylor, but Taylor has he experience and is a better pass blocker. We will find out by the end of the day tomorrow.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My final projections of 53:

QB - Rodgers/Love (2)
RB - Jones/Dillon/Goodson (3) *PUP Hill
WR - Lazard/Cobb/Watkins/Rodgers/Doubs/Watson/Winfree (7)
TE - Lewis/Tonyan/Deguara/Davis (4)
OL - Bakh/Jenkins/Yosh/Myers/Runyan/Tom/Newman/Hanson/Rhyan (9)

DL - Clark/Reed/Lowry/Wyatt/Slaton/Heflin (6)
OLB - Smith/Gary/Garvin/Tipa/Enagbare (5)
ILB - Campbell/Walker/Barnes/McDuffie (4)
CB - Jaire/Stokes/Douglas/SJC/Nixon (5)
S - Amos/Savage/Davis/Carpenter/Leavitt (5) *Leavitt will be a initial 53 to protect and then placed on IR...

ST (3)
K - Crosby
P - O'Donnell
LS - Coco

To me a few of the toughest things to guess are:

Do we keep 4 RBs or 4 TEs...I see one being 4 and the other being 3...I don't see a world where we do 3 and 3 or 4 and 4 how the roster shakes out.
Of course the question many are asking seven WR? I say yes initially at least.
OL is a massive position...to keep 10 is almost crazy to think about BUT given Bakh and Jenkins health....and Caleb Jones and Rasheed Walker showing a lot this preseason is that an option?

Who beyond OLB3 (Enagbare) actually showed they belong and should stay? OLB screams a veteran type signing as Garvin doesn't seem to have progressed after surviving and thriving at times before he should have been needed...Tipa is deadly when allowed to just rush but useless against the rush...Ladarius to me is the darkhorse with a shot at contributing but none move the needle of trust at all.

To go off of the OLB discussions....I think we keep 11 guys between OLB and DL room...the question is what is that break down? Heflin is clearly a better player overall than any of the four guys behind Enagbare....but we already have 5 clearly better options in front of him?

Is Crosby healthy enough to not be on PUP...is that how we protect ourselves here...he stays on PUP and Ahmed is our opening 53 Kicker?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a team signs a player that was cut off the waiver wire do they need to sign them to their 53? I read a few things, but can't seem to find this and most sports sites are blocked at work.
Wouldn't make any sense to waiver-claim a cut-from-another-team player and NOT put him on the 53. Tomorrow (Tuesday 8/30) all teams need to cut rosters to 53 players, so anyone claimed would count towards that final 53.

Tyni ~ completely agree with this comment "Heflin is clearly a better player overall than any of the four guys behind Enagbare....but we already have 5 clearly better options in front of him?".

ST needs OLB/TE types who are big & fast for coverage moreso than a Heflin-type guy. The last 5 cuts are REALLY difficult, between RB or WR, DL or OLB, OLB or S/CB. We'll see how much pull Bisaccia has on the roster-formation.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Players claimed off of waivers are put on the 53 man roster. Vested veterans such as Mercedes or Mason would become free agents and not susceptible to the waiver wire. They could sign with anyone.

Krabs

Reaction score
RB - Jones/Dillon/Goodson (3) *PUP Hill
I think Taylor beats out Goodson and Goodson heads to the PS.
WR - Lazard/Cobb/Watkins/Rodgers/Doubs/Watson/Winfree (7)
They've kept 7 WRs in the past. This wouldn't surprise me. I like Toure better, but Rodgers like Winfree. I'm guessing Toure to the PS.
OL - Bakh/Jenkins/Yosh/Myers/Runyan/Tom/Newman/Hanson/Rhyan (9)
I think they keep 10 and add Walker due to injuries and Jones heads to the PS.
DL - Clark/Reed/Lowry/Wyatt/Slaton/Heflin (6)
I agree and think they keep 6.
CB - Jaire/Stokes/Douglas/SJC/Nixon (5)
I think Thomas is in the mix, but this is a deep position.
S - Amos/Savage/Davis/Carpenter/Leavitt (5) *Leavitt will be a initial 53 to protect and then placed on IR...
I just read that Savage and Leavitt both returned to practice on Sunday. I think Leavitt makes the 53.
ST (3)
K - Crosby
Crosby is still on the PUP. I had read he said he will be ready by week one last week. I have to question that now.
To me a few of the toughest things to guess are:

Do we keep 4 RBs or 4 TEs...I see one being 4 and the other being 3...I don't see a world where we do 3 and 3 or 4 and 4 how the roster shakes out.
Of course the question many are asking seven WR? I say yes initially at least.
OL is a massive position...to keep 10 is almost crazy to think about BUT given Bakh and Jenkins health....and Caleb Jones and Rasheed Walker showing a lot this preseason is that an option?

Who beyond OLB3 (Enagbare) actually showed they belong and should stay? OLB screams a veteran type signing as Garvin doesn't seem to have progressed after surviving and thriving at times before he should have been needed...Tipa is deadly when allowed to just rush but useless against the rush...Ladarius to me is the darkhorse with a shot at contributing but none move the needle of trust at all.

To go off of the OLB discussions....I think we keep 11 guys between OLB and DL room...the question is what is that break down? Heflin is clearly a better player overall than any of the four guys behind Enagbare....but we already have 5 clearly better options in front of him?

Is Crosby healthy enough to not be on PUP...is that how we protect ourselves here...he stays on PUP and Ahmed is our opening 53 Kicker?
Good stuff as usual @tynimiller

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would not be floored if Mercedes doesn't make the 53. They can use his spot as a placeholder to get someone to IR, like Jenkins if he isn't ready. Then they resign Lewis on Wednesday. As a vested vet, Lewis is not going to be picked up by anyone else.

Reaction score
Thankfully the league expanded protocols for retaining players. That practice squad isn’t too bad a gig for someone who might otherwise be bagging groceries in a month or two.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd be shocked if they cut A. Rodgers. They'll give him another year.

I was talking about Toure and Winfree in my post above.

I don't see any scenario in which it makes sense for the Packers to keep four running backs.

I fully expect the Packers to keep six defensive linemen.

I would not be floored if Mercedes doesn't make the 53. They can use his spot as a placeholder to get someone to IR, like Jenkins if he isn't ready. Then they resign Lewis on Wednesday. As a vested vet, Lewis is not going to be picked up by anyone else.

I don't see that happening as the Packers releasing Lewis would result in an additional cap hit of $1.05 million.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OJ Howard released this morning by Buffalo. Any chance we make a run at trying to sign him?

I'd not be opposed to calling him. Underachieving over his career but mainly due to health reasons. If he sees a dozen games he easily can produce 500 yards for a team though. He is still just 27 years old too.

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd not be opposed to calling him. Underachieving over his career but mainly due to health reasons. If he sees a dozen games he easily can produce 500 yards for a team though. He is still just 27 years old too.
I could see it. I think he’d be worth a shot, though I don’t see it happening, given our track record for hardly signing any of these guys during this time of year.

Members online

Latest posts