5 Moves for Every NFC North Team over the Offseason

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
if people are going to tout his 5.1 YPC, it should also be noted that not a single one of those 5.1 yards resulted in even a single TD. There are reasons he got his 5.1, and reasons he didn't have a TD. 5.1 is nothing to sneeze at, and if it was because he's such a punishing runner, I wouldn't think that 1 TD be too much to ask. I believe the reasons for the nice average and the lack of touchdowns had a lot to do with what I mentioned before.

How many TD's or FG's did Lacy help set up with his "punishing" running style?

I find it a bit hard to say "not a single one of those 5.1 yards resulted in even a single TD". While Lacy may not have been the one scoring the actual TD, he did play a part in the drives that set up a TD.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as Lacy not scoring a rushing TD in his 5 games, considering it took 11 games and not until Nov. 29th for someone other than Aaron Rodgers to get a rushing TD, I would say that is more of a reflection of the Packers run game than it is on Lacy. He had 23 rushing and 6 receiving TD's in his previous 3 seasons.

Interestingly Lacy had 20 rushing touchdowns during his first two seasons with the Packers while only having three since being overweight.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sure he did, but to me, a RB that is a 5+ YPC back because he's that strong of a runner is going to be a threat all over the field and not just between the 20's with a QB with the reputation that Rodgers has. If you're not a threat to stay on the field and actually finish a drive and punch it in, what threat is someone really?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Interestingly Lacy had 20 rushing touchdowns during his first two seasons with the Packers while only having three since being overweight.

LOL, keep working that angle. But I will agree with you, Lacy is much more effective in general when he is not overweight, which is why the contract numbers being thrown around are where they are at.

Interesting that the Packer offense in general ran for a lot more TD's in Lacy's first 2 years than his last 1 1/3

regular season Rushing TD's by RB's:

2013: 15
2014: 12
2015: 7
2016: 7

Even in their Super Bowl year (2010) they only ran for 7.

D

Deleted member 6794

LOL, keep working that angle. But I will agree with you, Lacy is much more effective in general when he is in not overweight, which is why the contract numbers being thrown around are where they are at.

Interesting that the Packer offense in general ran for a lot more TD's in Lacy's first 2 years than his last 1 1/3

It's not surprising though as Lacy being in shape presents a huge asset to the Packers offense. Unfortunately that's not true with him weighing 260+ pounds.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if my angle is wrong, tell me Lacy was in shape, tell me Lacy finished drives. Tell me in running situations Lacy punished would be tacklers to get 4 yards and a 1st down. If a guy is that good of a runner, he's averaging 5.1 yards, why not a single TD? ****, if I had a 5 yard per run back, He'd have 25 carries a game, he'd get spelled in the easy middle part of the field and we'd be play actioning the crap out things at both ends of the field to get big plays, and pound it down in the redzone. They won't know run or pass, and it won't matter because in 2-3 plays of just running, i'm going to have another set of downs anyway.

But Lacy couldn't be used that way last year, why not? I wonder what Lacy's stats were in the redzone last year. I wonder what the reasons were for those numbers? maybe it's just my angle.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder what Lacy's stats were in the redzone last year. I wonder what the reasons were for those numbers? maybe it's just my angle.

Lacy had 11 rushes for 27 yards for only a single first down in the red zone last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's not surprising though as Lacy being in shape presents a huge asset to the Packers offense. Unfortunately that's not true with him weighing 260+ pounds.

If the Packers resign Lacy and he comes into camp at 260+ and out of shape, I have no issues seeing him cut. But we aren't talking about signing the guy to a big guaranteed, multi-year contract and that is what it feels like some of you are thinking/implying here. There is no doubt in my mind that Lacy is more effective at a weight around 235-245 and if he does manage to get there, stay there and play a full season, than signing him to a low end no guaranteed contract is worth the "risk" of signing him now and all around just good business sense to me.

I also foresee the response to my post. "What do you do when Lacy gets fat and ineffective during the regular season?" That is a risk the Packers will have to decide if they are willing to take. But if you start the season with Monty, Lacy and a rookie, I see a better chance of good production out of the position than starting the season with Monty, a rookie and whoever.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But Lacy couldn't be used that way last year, why not? I wonder what Lacy's stats were in the redzone last year. I wonder what the reasons were for those numbers? maybe it's just my angle.

Lacy had 11 rushes for 27 yards for only a single first down in the red zone last season.

I was wondering the same thing and Captain sort of answered it. But how many of those 11 rushes were being handed the ball from a legit scoring spot (5 yards and in) on the field? Also, how do those numbers compare to comparable backs?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many TD's did he have? a guy that unstoppable should be unstoppable, but a few things went into his 5.1 yards per carry. Yes he was running hard. I loved the way he runs, but defenses also learned that giving Eddie some yards between the 20's was easy. He was never going to finish a drive. he'd get his 3 maybe 4 carries in in a drive and take himself out for a breather until the next drive. He couldn't be relied upon and he's being singled out because he's one of the only ones i've seen on this team not committed to himself and keeping his body in the condition it needs to be in to play football. He needs to be 240, not 260+. Period.

he has all the talent in the world to be great, I'm wondering if he'll ever realize it. I know he won't at 260+
Im going to say it again. He will go somewhere else and be great. Watch. This bs $2mil offer better be exactly that. Bs. Because it is insulting imo. Pushing him out the door...

Heres an idea. Dont over play your guys... Get another rb that justifies splitting carries...then you have a fresh lacy, no matter what.

You guys are playing a hard line with this tallented young dude

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all Lacy averaged only 5.1 yards per carry last season. As Mondio correctly pointed out he didn't have a single touchdown in 2016 though, something that has to be considered when talking about his performance as well.
The rb typically doesnt get many tds when the passing game steams in the snow and smells like fart. The numbers rodgers finished the season with are a great show of how great he was in that last 10 games...

Id like to point out for agruments sake. That lacy had a top 5 play that cowboys game, when he hurdled a would be tackler.... Doesnt sound out of shape to me :)

Also. I tried to find the play he got hurt. I fell asleep. But i did see him go down on a rodgers int play. He was blocking. Turned to chase the guy who picked it, but never got off the block/hold. Turned and ankle gave out. That may not have been the original injury, but it was the first time i seen it show. He played through it though.... I also remember him taking a bad ankle hit near the sideline. I remember cringing because he was already hurt. But he played on. By the time he was benched he went on ir and surgery soon after... Point is he got hurt doing something he doesnt normally do.... Maybe.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many TD's or FG's did Lacy help set up with his "punishing" running style?

I find it a bit hard to say "not a single one of those 5.1 yards resulted in even a single TD". While Lacy may not have been the one scoring the actual TD, he did play a part in the drives that set up a TD.
Again i will mention that the passing game was struggling. Rodgers numbers were not great. Nelson was rusty. And the offense was still misfiring. Lacy was the shining star early on.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers resign Lacy and he comes into camp at 260+ and out of shape, I have no issues seeing him cut. But we aren't talking about signing the guy to a big guaranteed, multi-year contract and that is what it feels like some of you are thinking/implying here.

As I've mentioned before I would be fine with the Packers signing him to a moderate contract without any guarantees and let him conpete for a roster spot in training camp. In that case the team needs a backup plan as well.

I was wondering the same thing and Captain sort of answered it. But how many of those 11 rushes were being handed the ball from a legit scoring spot (5 yards and in) on the field? Also, how do those numbers compare to comparable backs?

Lacy received only three carries inside the five yard line this season. He (2.45) was slightly below the league average (2.55) in yards gained per attempt in the red zone but far off the mark in first down (28.8%) and touchdown (18.7%) percentage.

Heres an idea. Dont over play your guys... Get another rb that justifies splitting carries...then you have a fresh lacy, no matter what.

The Packers haven't overworked Lacy at all with him having averaged only 14 carries per game over the last three seasons.

The rb typically doesnt get many tds when the passing game steams in the snow and smells like fart. The numbers rodgers finished the season with are a great show of how great he was in that last 10 games...

David Johnson (16), LeSean McCoy (13), Jonathan Stewart (nine), Jeremy Hill (nine) and DeMarco Murray (nine) all had a decent amount of rushing touchdowns while playing on below average passing offenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The "Lacy was overworked" trope is my favorite excuse of the offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The "Lacy was overworked" trope is my favorite excuse of the offseason.

Speaking for myself, the only time Lacy was "overworked", was in the Dallas game, he had injured his ankle the game before against the Giants, but because the Packers had no other options at RB, he was forced into playing, had 17 carries until he left with his foot injury that sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

So yes, IMO, that was one game where the Packers lack of RB depth put Lacy in a position where he was "overworked".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Speaking for myself, the only time Lacy was "overworked", was in the Dallas game, he had injured his ankle the game before against the Giants, but because the Packers had no other options at RB, he was forced into playing, had 17 carries until he left with his foot injury that sidelined him for the remainder of the season.

So yes, IMO, that was one game where the Packers lack of RB depth put Lacy in a position where he was "overworked".

Hence entering the Cowboys game with Lacy being the only active running back was a terrible decision by Thompson and McCarthy.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather pick fournette at 29 if he somehow fell than pay Peterson. better to spend money on defense say resign perry and Hyde. maybe peppers for one final sb run if it's reasonable say 5 million. resign lacy for 1 year if ankle ok and tretter maybe lang if his health ok and money team friendly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't even believe Peterson is even being considered as a legitimate option. By talking heads, fans and i'd be floored if he was thought of more than a passing fart by the coaches and staff.

and lacy had to be "overworked" They couldn't let him sit in a training room and gain more weight.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather pick fournette at 29 if he somehow fell than pay Peterson. better to spend money on defense say resign perry and Hyde. maybe peppers for one final sb run if it's reasonable say 5 million. resign lacy for 1 year if ankle ok and tretter maybe lang if his health ok and money team friendly.

If the Packers re-sign all of the players you mentioned they won't have enough cap space to upgrade cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers re-sign all of the players you mentioned they won't have enough cap space to upgrade cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency.

All the more reason to step out of the box and get creative with the cap.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hence entering the Cowboys game with Lacy being the only active running back was a terrible decision by Thompson and McCarthy.

Agreed. While we will never know if Lacy being "forced" into action that day contributed to his season ending injury or as some want to think, him being overweight caused the injury, it may have been prevented had TT been more proactive with addressing the RB situation quicker.

Than again, had Lacy not suffered his season ending injury that day, we may not be sitting here talking about signing him for $2M either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No doubt TT needs to open things up in FA, but Rodgers isn't so near the end that you start mortgaging the 2018-2020 cap to make a huge push this season. Sustainability still matters.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. While we will never know if Lacy being "forced" into action that day contributed to his season ending injury or as some want to think, him being overweight caused the injury, it may have been prevented had TT been more proactive with addressing the RB situation quicker.

Lacy rushing the ball 17 times vs. the Cowboys on an already banged up ankle for sure contributed to him suffering a season ending injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt TT needs to open things up in FA, but Rodgers isn't so near the end that you start mortgaging the 2018-2020 cap to make a huge push this season. Sustainability still matters.

The Packers shouldn't go all in this year but take more risks than in previous seasons.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't go all in this year but take more risks than in previous seasons.

Yep. That's where I'm at too. Go from signing no one or one guy very late to sprinkling in a few solid additions, but not via crazy bonus structures that pushes all the cap hits into the future.

Members online

Latest posts