5 Moves for Every NFC North Team over the Offseason

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ESPN just posted an article on the moves for each team in the NFC North.

What was alarming (maybe not) is the consideration of Adrian Peterson for running back. If Lacy is not brought back and TY being the only real threat. Would TT actually, really consider this option. It would be very cool and we could probably get him on a 2 year deal for 16-17 million. Would GB consider.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I might be in a small minority here, but I wouldn't really be interested. If we were going to invest in a high risk RB (and at 32, I would consider AP high risk), I would just keep Lacy on a prove it deal. At his age, Lacy has the better chance of putting up a great season.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article states that Peterson *might* be offered a reduced salary of $7-8 million by the Vikes. There is no reason for us to compete with that. I agree with Dantes, in that they are different but similarly risky players. I would rather pay $2M to Lacy than $7-8M to Peterson. I don't believe that AP is looking to stick it to the Vikings, so he wouldn't play here for a revenge discount. If salaries were the same, I would be fine with either player as long as we still drafted a RB in the first couple rounds.

D

Deleted member 6794

What was alarming (maybe not) is the consideration of Adrian Peterson for running back. If Lacy is not brought back and TY being the only real threat. Would TT actually, really consider this option. It would be very cool and we could probably get him on a 2 year deal for 16-17 million. Would GB consider.

Absolutely not interested in the Packers signing Peterson, especially not for $8 million a season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no way i'm paying that guy 7-8 million year. They can keep him

OP
OP
Reggie White Cheese

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article states that Peterson *might* be offered a reduced salary of $7-8 million by the Vikes. There is no reason for us to compete with that. I agree with Dantes, in that they are different but similarly risky players. I would rather pay $2M to Lacy than $7-8M to Peterson. I don't believe that AP is looking to stick it to the Vikings, so he wouldn't play here for a revenge discount. If salaries were the same, I would be fine with either player as long as we still drafted a RB in the first couple rounds.

I am simply stating this article, and to be honest, I threw those numbers out of my keester.. Nevertheless, for a reduced salary on a 1 year with a year option I would take a shot.. But I like TY and whatever we could muster in the draft.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
TT signed Starks (2yrs - $6m) last season with Matt Forte sitting there. Forte signed 3 years $12m with $9m guaranteed. No effing way he blows big $$$$$ on Petersen when other cheaper comparable options exist. Jacquizz Rodgers? Eddie Lacy? LeVeon Bell? OK Bell will not be cheaper but he won't be much more than the AD numbers your tossing about and much younger.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still would touch AP with a cattle prod (maybe I would just cause he deserves it) for $16-17M over two years, whether the second year is optional or not. It's too much for a potentially washed up back. He couldn't run when healthy in the beginning of the year, couldn't run when he came back against the Colts, and may be done. Lacy can still run even when fat. He just needs oxygen and an Oreo reward for anything over 20 yards.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the ESPN author did nail it that there are a lot of factors that will make AP's value shrink in the market. The availability of players like Bell, his age and durability, and the deep RB draft. Then factor the NFL trend away from straight-ahead RBs in favor of James White type of backs that compliment a QB.

AP may look less out of place in the La Brea Tar Pits.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No to AP signing...Hell no!!! Pack doesn't need a RB free agent. Draft one in the later rounds. Preferably, a bruiser, North to South style runner. For the most part, defense should be the top priority. However, the Packers should consider adding a WR. A free agent, that can separate, and is youthful with experience would help. Maybe the Packers should look at Terrelle Pryor. I think Pryor along with Nelson, Adams, Cook and Cobb would be lethal. One year deal with maybe a team option, 5-6 million would suffice.

D

Deleted member 6794

No to AP signing...Hell no!!! Pack doesn't need a RB free agent. Draft one in the later rounds. Preferably, a bruiser, North to South style runner. For the most part, defense should be the top priority. However, the Packers should consider adding a WR. A free agent, that can separate, and is youthful with experience would help. Maybe the Packers should look at Terrelle Pryor. I think Pryor along with Nelson, Adams, Cook and Cobb would be lethal. One year deal with maybe a team option, 5-6 million would suffice.

The Packers don't need to add another high priced wide receiver to the roster as they already have allocated more cap space than any other team in the league to the position for next season. I would be fine with drafting another once cornerback and outside linebacker has been addressed.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing..... The greatest of the greats usually finish strong.
I could see ap making it 2 more years. He is super human...
I want lacy though. He is our guy. And he is ready to peak... Id give him 5 a year for 4 years. Anything under that is just a little extra cheese for the cheese drawer. Imo.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't sign AP for more then the veteran minimum. Dude is borderline washed. Not taking away from how good he used to be.

I have no interest in making a move for AP, but I think he would still be very good on a team with a good line and a strong passing game.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the ESPN writers are just writing to stir up the pot honestly...

Really??? Adrian Peterson??? ... he's done.

I loved him going back to his days at OU.. .and he's a Texas boy like myself so there's no love lost... but he's DONE lol.

He's basically the same boat that Ladanian Tomlinson was in when he joined the Jets, teams will still "respect" him but he won't be gashing anyone for 295/6 yards in a game anytime soon. Lacy is worth more and would be more value at a lower cost. Neither are threats out of the backfield like Montgomery is either so i'd rather have Montgomery.

The thing is... the Packers need a "number one" cornerback which is OBVIOUS. This is especially true after cutting Shields, but who would actually be worth it or has "proved" it for "long enough" that is available right now???

I watch Texans games on occasion and AJ Bouye is good but he will get MASSIVELY overpaid because of his age and recent success... I'm not entirely sure he's a legit "number one" cornernback but he will get paid like one. And good for him too!

Trumaine Johnson isn't either, I would rather have Logan Ryan or Malcolm Butler but you have to wonder for those two if they benefit from scheme some(i'm sure they do some)

I would rather have Amukamara honestly.. but he hasn't shown to be too effective as of late.. just a little better body of work IMO and he can definitely play man. He has the size you want too to match up with guys like Julio Jones and Dez Bryant and Alshon Jeffrey etc... but I don't think his ball skills are good enough to really rely on him being a "number one" either.

So bottomline is: The Packers OBVIOUSLY need a "number one" cornerback but there isn't a true number one available in FA. There are chances but you will more than likely overpay for someone. I think ESPN is just trying to stir the pot with AD

D

Deleted member 6794

I want lacy though. He is our guy. And he is ready to peak... Id give him 5 a year for 4 years. Anything under that is just a little extra cheese for the cheese drawer. Imo.

It is a absolutely beyond my understanding why any Packers fan would suggest to offer Lacy a deal like that after he wasn't able to stay in shape in a contract year.

The thing is... the Packers need a "number one" cornerback which is OBVIOUS. This is especially true after cutting Shields, but who would actually be worth it or has "proved" it for "long enough" that is available right now???

I watch Texans games on occasion and AJ Bouye is good but he will get MASSIVELY overpaid because of his age and recent success... I'm not entirely sure he's a legit "number one" cornernback but he will get paid like one. And good for him too!

Trumaine Johnson isn't either, I would rather have Logan Ryan or Malcolm Butler but you have to wonder for those two if they benefit from scheme some(i'm sure they do some)

I would rather have Amukamara honestly.. but he hasn't shown to be too effective as of late.. just a little better body of work IMO and he can definitely play man. He has the size you want too to match up with guys like Julio Jones and Dez Bryant and Alshon Jeffrey etc... but I don't think his ball skills are good enough to really rely on him being a "number one" either.

So bottomline is: The Packers OBVIOUSLY need a "number one" cornerback but there isn't a true number one available in FA. There are chances but you will more than likely overpay for someone. I think ESPN is just trying to stir the pot with AD

It would be an extremely risky move to sign Bouye to a lucrative contract but could end up bringing a huge reward. I prefer Gilmore over the rest of the free agents possibly available at cornerback.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know most of us think getting a new CB is a major priority (which it is), but getting a pass rush is equally important. It really doesn't matter how good our CB's are if they have to cover for over 5 seconds. We've seen how AR decimates defenses when he has 5+ seconds... why are we expecting our CB's to do any better when covering for that long. We need to improve our DL so our CB's are covering for a max of 3 seconds. They will be so much better with pressure on the QB. I'd love to see us switch our scheme over to a 4-3 (since our ILB's are another weak spot... why have 2 of them?) and get a couple good rush DE's.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know most of us think getting a new CB is a major priority (which it is), but getting a pass rush is equally important. It really doesn't matter how good our CB's are if they have to cover for over 5 seconds. We've seen how AR decimates defenses when he has 5+ seconds... why are we expecting our CB's to do any better when covering for that long. We need to improve our DL so our CB's are covering for a max of 3 seconds. They will be so much better with pressure on the QB. I'd love to see us switch our scheme over to a 4-3 (since our ILB's are another weak spot... why have 2 of them?) and get a couple good rush DE's.

While it's true that an effective pass rush improves the chances of a cornerback performing at a decent level that works the other way around as well. Unfortunately the Packers' CBs weren't able to cover opposing receivers for at least two seconds for the majority of last season making it close to impossible for the pass rushers to put pressure on the quarterback.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a 3-4 DL who can rush is generally more difficult to find than a 3-4 OLB/edge rusher

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Ap doesn't have GB on his list

Think Dallas, Houston, Giants and Tampa

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is far more likely that Lacy ends up in purple than AP ends up in Green & Gold and I'm not thrilled at the prospect of either.

I completely understand your reservations WIMM and I do not disagree but IMO if Lacy can be had on a 1 year deal for 2 million with minimal guarantees it would be stupid for ANY team not to consider him unless they are completely cash strapped. I bet if he would come out and say he would sign for that he'd have his choice of at least 20 teams to choose from. In fact, if I were Lacy and a better deal than that doesn't come along within the first few days, maybe a week of FA that's what I'd do. If that's the best deal you can get you might as well offer it to everyone and take your pick of teams who may be interested.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely understand your reservations WIMM and I do not disagree but IMO if Lacy can be had on a 1 year deal for 2 million with minimal guarantees it would be stupid for ANY team not to consider him unless they are completely cash strapped. I bet if he would come out and say he would sign for that he'd have his choice of at least 20 teams to choose from. In fact, if I were Lacy and a better deal than that doesn't come along within the first few days, maybe a week of FA that's what I'd do. If that's the best deal you can get you might as well offer it to everyone and take your pick of teams who may be interested.

In my opinion money isn't an issue when thinking about re-signing Lacy. The problem being that once he is on the roster the team is relying on him staying in shape but unfortunately he hasn't shown the commitment necessary to keep his weight in check. Therefore I would prefer the roster spot being handed to another running back.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted will do something this yr nothing much but something I think cook is gonna stay I'm not sure on perry one good season is tough call to make when he is gonna cost money. But losing peppers they have no rush clay Matthews sucks and Cobb needs to take a pay cut too. I'd say they maybe in the market but they shouldn't overpay for a corner Gilmore is the only one I really wouldn't mind. One guy I think we should pay attention to is Connor Barwin I think if he gets released we will be in the mix. That would be a player I wouldn't mind. Or just other potential players to be cut getting close to free agency. Maybe Demarcus ware I would like to see TJ watt come to us in the draft or adoree Jackson from USC as a corner. It will be interesting cuz a lot is gonna depend on what they do with cook who I think will be resigned. But then u got perry Hyde Lang and lacy

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

North of thirty, declining productivity, adds nothing to special teams, fumbles too much, etc. I pass.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts