49ers -- NFCCG (who'da thunk these 2 teams in August)

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With a win on Sunday, Rodgers would move to 11-7 in the playoffs for his career. The only quarterbacks that have more than 11 on their resume are Favre (13), Roethlisberger (13), Manning (14), Elway (14), Bradshaw (14), Montana (16), and Brady (30...that's just stupid good).
The evil Skip Bayless is always ridiculing Rodgers playoff record, aside from his one Super Bowl run. But that's really not a bad record, especially when you consider this will be his fourth NFCCG. Sure, if you hold him to Tom Brady standards, he's going to fall short, but who isn't?

May be wishful thinking, but I have a feeling that we have a bunch of positive momentum right now. I think Garoppolo gives us the ball once or twice. I think Rodgers gets locked in..
I've always believed that football games are decided in the trenches. Not that we can't win, but that's why the odds are stacked against us. There is a path to victory for us, but the chips are going to have to fall the right way.

Seems like every time we have a good team, there's always been a better one in the NFC that stands in our way. At least since 2010. Hopefully that's not the way the story will be written this year.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching clip after clip today detailing how the Packers shouldn't even get on the plane I'm flipping my stance from "Might not be the better team. Just gotta be better one day" to "With the amount of disrespect getting tossed our way we're winning by double digits"

When I get to listen to Shannon Sharpe and others talk about how SF has a better Oline, our Guards arent good pass protectors, how SF has better RBs then Aaron Jones and how SF is litteraly better at every position not named QB you know that's making it's way into the Packers locker room and this team digs in when the doubters come out.

PACKAR2020

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching clip after clip today detailing how the Packers shouldn't even get on the plane I'm flipping my stance from "Might not be the better team. Just gotta be better one day" to "With the amount of disrespect getting tossed our way we're winning by double digits"

When I get to listen to Shannon Sharpe and others talk about how SF has a better Oline, our Guards arent good pass protectors, how SF has better RBs then Aaron Jones and how SF is litteraly better at every position not named QB you know that's making it's way into the Packers locker room and this team digs in when the doubters come out.
There is no secret that the 49ers D struggles with mobile QB’s that can move the pocket and buy time and run or pass. The Seahawks(twice), Cardinals(twice), Rams(second game), Ravens have had success vs that 49ers D doing those things. With the exception of Sherman who is great the 49ers CB’s are average at best. They depend on their pass rush to get to the QB in 1-2 seconds. Now, whether the Packers can do that is unknown. The Packers O tried playing the 49ers straight up in their 1st meeting this year and you know how that turned out. I hate the 49ers and am rooting for the Packers, but Shanahan is so brilliant in his play calling that I’m not sure the Packers can beat them. We’ll see.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you are saying is the worst team in the NFL nearly beat you twice this season? That statement doesn’t give me a very big vote of confidence coming from a 49er fan. I’m not sure if you meant it that way, but you just insulted your own team.
My read was that it was a hypothetical statement regarding the difficulties of winning division games regardless of each team’s general abilities or record.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm watching a few of these highlights, particularly San Fran's loss against Atlanta, and throughout the game The Falcons would keep moving Julio in different areas to exploit favorable matchups. I can see us doing something similar in regards to Davante. Granted I'm sure San Fran will likely anticipate this, but I'm confident that Adams route running and play making ability will shine through. We have to get him started early. Also looking at some other highlights, and I've noticed they are not necessarily the best at defending slants, almost every video I saw the opposing team always scores on them that way in some form or fashion.

Another thing I think that would benefit is utilizing Jones the same way we did in the game against KC and the way we got into position to beat Detroit. Have him in the back along with Rodgers to assist with blocking, however if things start crumbling, Jones immediately bails and Rodgers dumps the ball off to him. It won't necessarily work all the time, but I think more times than not it will result in positive yardage. Rodgers can't afford to take unnecessary sacks. He'll have to know that the clock is ticking with this pass rush, especially if we're 3rd and long. If that happens I expect them to blitz.

This goes without saying, but we have to be disciplined on ST as San Fran's ST is pretty good. We can't afford to give them short yardage otherwise it's going to be a long day for us.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm watching a few of these highlights, particularly San Fran's loss against Atlanta, and throughout the game The Falcons would keep moving Julio in different areas to exploit favorable matchups. I can see us doing something similar in regards to Davante. Granted I'm sure San Fran will likely anticipate this, but I'm confident that Adams route running and play making ability will shine through. We have to get him started early. Also looking at some other highlights, and I've noticed they are not necessarily the best at defending slants, almost every video I saw the opposing team always scores on them that way in some form or fashion.

Another thing I think that would benefit is utilizing Jones the same way we did in the game against KC and the way we got into position to beat Detroit. Have him in the back along with Rodgers to assist with blocking, however if things start crumbling, Jones immediately bails and Rodgers dumps the ball off to him. It won't necessarily work all the time, but I think more times than not it will result in positive yardage. Rodgers can't afford to take unnecessary sacks. He'll have to know that the clock is ticking with this pass rush, especially if we're 3rd and long. If that happens I expect them to blitz.

This goes without saying, but we have to be disciplined on ST as San Fran's ST is pretty good. We can't afford to give them short yardage otherwise it's going to be a long day for us.
Good points.

I think Jones is going to be utilized much more in the passing game as well. Motioning him out of the backfield to get favorable matchups.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think that's exactly what the Packers will do. I'd also watch the second Rams game. I think that's what the Packers will do to attack. Lots of roll outs and screens.

As for the Atlanta game, yes, they had a good gameplan, but also remember the 49ers were missing Sherman, Tartt, Ford, Alexander, and Witherspoon was starting (likely replaced now with Moseley).

You are going to see a different D in terms of personnel.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think GB will try and find ways to make what they do well work, they aren't going to try and run a new offense in this game. I'm pretty confident our offensive line is going to perform much differently than everyone saw earlier in the year.

Seattle49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's exactly what the Packers will do. I'd also watch the second Rams game. I think that's what the Packers will do to attack. Lots of roll outs and screens.

As for the Atlanta game, yes, they had a good gameplan, but also remember the 49ers were missing Sherman, Tartt, Ford, Alexander, and Witherspoon was starting (likely replaced now with Moseley).

You are going to see a different D in terms of personnel.

This^ And Minn tried that whole (roll out) thing. How'd that work out?

I think KC is more mobile than AR and has more receiver options. I just don't see it working with the guys that are back.

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think KC is more mobile than AR and has more receiver options. I just don't see it working with the guys that are back.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Yup shut Minny bootleg down early which was essentially checkmate.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You may be right.

I also saw a lot more of Dee Ford exploding directly upfield to cutoff those rollouts away from Bosa.

Niners have clearly coached against those screens and roll outs, but just sitting 6 yards deep in the pocket will get Aaron killed.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny I was looking at that game and that's where I drew the conclusion regarding defending the slants and whatnot. XD

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess we'll find out if GB is just MN and Kirk Cousins in a different uniform.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can tell you right now, they are most certainly not.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that. I think we are strictly talking about the strategy of attack that worked for Atlanta and LA that did not for Minn.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s gotten a bit out of control with 9ers fans here. Perfectly fine having a few fans of the opposing team here, but if the majority of posts are coming from them, it’s getting a bit ridiculous. Especially with side discussions about who is on what 9ers forum. When you want to talk to each other, this is not really the place to do so.

I’d appreciate a 2 weeks no-posting rule for new members. This way we’d still have fans of other teams such as Raptorman, but not half of the 9ers forum coming here and spam the forum.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s gotten a bit out of control with 9ers fans here. Perfectly fine having a few fans of the opposing team here, but if the majority of posts are coming from them, it’s getting a bit ridiculous. Especially with side discussions about who is on what 9ers forum. When you want to talk to each other, this is not really the place to do so.

I’d appreciate a 2 weeks no-posting rule for new members. This way we’d still have fans of other teams such as Raptorman, but not half of the 9ers forum coming here and spam the forum.

I respect that...tho I signed up for this site in 2012.

Seattle49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sorry but this just sounds a bit petty. The 49er fans I see here including myself have been nothing but respectful. Have we done something to offend you?

The side discussion about other forums was very brief. We have 0 control over how many Packer fans participate on their own forums.

We have much larger influx of opposition fans on our site each week prior to the playing than I see here. Many of them just trolling, yet as long as they don't get out of hand they're still there.

Maybe we just gave thicker skin.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you probably do, far superior just like the team. We honored to have you and your gifts of tweets and analysis done elsewhere.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you probably do, far superior just like the team. We honored to have you and your gifts of tweets and analysis done elsewhere.

Wow.

So, I came here only to talk football with knowledgeable Packer fans before an NFC Championship matchup. I am not talking smack. I'm here for a real discussion.

Is that asking too much? If you don't want to take part in the discussion, don't. Simple.

If that's too much to ask, its all good. I'm a guest on this forum and I'll bounce. Peace.