49ers -- NFCCG (who'da thunk these 2 teams in August)

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Packer fans!!

No smack fro me, just like talkin' football with knowledgeable fans.

So yeah, the last outing was pretty one-sided, but I have no expectation that it'll be the same this time around. I will say I'm pretty confident and I'll state why:

1) Health: I've seen some talk about the Packers getting some O-Linemen back, and of course that'll help since the front 4 of SF is a HUGE factor in their success. It should be noted though that its not like the Niners weren't under the gun last time around in terms of health. Despite the score, the Packers had success getting to the QB last time and alot of that was at the hands of Skule, the Niners backup LT. This time around, Joe Staley is back. Additionally, Kittle was in his first week back and had a bone chip in his ankle. He's far more healthy now.

On defense, its just a whole new world. In the first half of the season, the Niners were on a historic pace in terms of pass D. They were allowing something like 130 pass yards per game. Starting in the first Cards game, that began to turn. A few things happened. First, Kwon Alexander got hurt and Dre Greenlaw took his place. Dre was...well...green. Vs the Ravens, they lost Jaquiski Tartt, they SS who is very good. His replacement Marcel Harris is...not. They also lost Dee Ford, and his loss could not be overstated. It wasn't just his 6.5 sacks they lost. It was his presence that prevented teams from double and triple teaming Nick Bosa.

Add on to that the team ran a gauntlet of Sea, GB, Balt, NO, ATL (worst team in that stretch, and a game they lost down half their defensive starters), LA, and then Sea again all with a bye week in week FOUR. It was nuts.

Well, the bye was a miracle. They FINALLY got a bye after 13 straight games AND they got Kwon Alexander, Jaquiski Tartt, and most importantly, Dee Ford back. Dee is the big one because where they really struggled in his absence was on third down. Last week was the first time since the beginning of the year that they resembled that team on D that started 8-0.

2) Offense: When the D started to struggle, the O had to step up, and they did. Jimmy still will make mistakes as you would expect from a guy who has started 24 NFL games, but he also came through BIG in a few big moments. That gauntlet at the end of the year really tested them and they came out a better team.

Lest you think I'm just here to tell you how you have no chance, never fear, there are concerns.

1) Screens and Roll-outs: One thing that teams started doing (especially Atlanta and the Rams) is they started calling a HUGE number of screens and rollouts to escape the rush. With Dee out, the Niners had no outside defender with the speed to get out to cover the rollout and with Kwon ALexander and Jaquski Tartt out they didn't have guys who could rally up to shut down the screens. Well there is good news and bad news there. It has been and likely will remain a weakness, but the Niners have seen ALOT of those plays now and have improved in the way they cover them. Greenlaw has improved dramatically AND they get Kwon back.

Bottom line though, the Niner achilles heel is something unfortunately the Packers don't have...mobile QBs. Now when I say that I'm sure someone will rush in here to tell me how mobile Aaron is, and you'd be right, but that isn't what I'm talking about. I mean Kyler Murray, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson mobile. Rodgers is better than all three of those guys (Wilson being the only one close), but styles make fights. Rodgers can't just drop back and stand in the pocket. He'll get killed.

I have no doubt that the Packers will know this and will move the pocket by design and throw a ton of screens.

2) Run D: I've seen on this thread that some have quoted the Niner run D as an achilles heal. Yes and no. They have given up chunk plays in the run game and they do rank in the middle to bottom of run D in the NFL, but to be clear, its more a function of design than ability. What do I mean by that? As other have noted, Niner run a wide 9. IE, they CHOOSE to make themselves a bit more vulnerable for the ability to apply more pressure. However, when they decide they need to stop the run and they focus on it? They destroy it. All I heard all week was that Dalvin Cook was going to be trouble for SF. 18 yards on 9 carries. 2 yards per.

Still, there WILL be lanes there if Jones can get to them. Niners LBs are very fast and athletic, but they are also light and can get pushed back. If the Packers devote time and effort to the run, there could be room to be had there.

3) Aaron freakin Rodgers: He's Aaron Rodgers. I put nothing past him. Niners can have him dead to rights and he can sidearm a rocket for a first down. I put nothing past that guy.

All in all, I don't buy the National Media account that the Packers can't win. Of course they can. No team is unbeatable and recency bias has this way of making a team look invincible. I mean if you watched KC this weekend you'd think we should all pack up out tents and go home.

I'd also expect the Pack to be PUMPED for this one. Everyone is telling them they can't win. That makes them dangerous. Looking forward to it Cheeseheads. :D

Marvin pleeeease come back to the "ZONE" your intelligent, insightful post are missed dearly.

Seattle49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more confused by his "worst team in the NFL" comment. I may have missed the context on that one.

It was a hypothetical comment. I said if the Hawks were the worst team and 49ers were the best I would still expect a tough game because division opponents always play us tough especially the Hawks.

I don't know where the rest came from. If I didn't know better I'd think he was just trying to stir the pot.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Just a tid bit

Packers got smacked in Seattle 1st game of year. 36 to 16..

Then went back for Nfccg and as we all know, should have won.

Seattle was a 7.5 favorite

While no one is giving us a legitimate chance..it has been proven 1st game isn't a true indicator.

Then you have the Jets with Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine was his DC.

They got smacked by pats in regular season by 30?

Then beat the pats in NE for playoffs. Pettine will be using that experience to help

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no doubts he 49ers are a really good team. I also know we're not as bad as we played the first time around. At that point in the season our center guard combos were having trouble with EVERYONE 10 plays a game they'd just let someone free. That has been cleaned up quite a bit. Alex Light will not be on the field. Just those 2 things alone will make this game different.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The defense has worked on communication since that game..and the explosive plays seem to be way down.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually didnt ask for your opinion,i quoted MARVIN49 not South Alaska49er....

Hey bro...appreciate support. I have no idea even who that guy is.

Lets just keep it off this board. Lets just stick to football. We're on a Packer forum and they couldn't care less. :D

EWright21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not going to be anything less than a great game coming up. Zero expectations of a repeat of the last game, as is usually the case when teams meet twice in a season. The last four teams are just way too good.

Braap49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marvin pleeeease come back to the "ZONE" your intelligent, insightful post are missed dearly.

Marvin isn’t allowed to post on the zone until the season is fully over. Last time he did that, we lost to the SeaTurds. But I did stalk him on .NuT to try and get him back. I’ll take partial blame. GO NINERS!

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marvin isn’t allowed to post on the zone until the season is fully over. Last time he did that, we lost to the SeaTurds. But I did stalk him on .NuT to try and get him back. I’ll take partial blame. GO NINERS!
That was around the time SkittleKittle was posting....

Seattle49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i actually didnt ask for your opinion,i quoted MARVIN49 not South Alaska49er....

You quoted my post. You asked "whats the problem?" If you don't want a response, don't ask a question.

In the future I will not reply to you, that way there's no confusion.

Moving on.

TylerD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks could be the worst team in the NFL and 9ers the best and the Hawks always play us tough.

Rams in their worst year curb stomped the Hawks at home. 49ers in 2-14 season got both wins against the Rams.

Division games are always tougher.
Patriots hate playing miami lol.

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You quoted my post. You asked "whats the problem?" If you don't want a response, don't ask a question.

In the future I will not reply to you, that way there's no confusion.

Moving on.
Go and have a look at post 179. It's all good, No worries! Go 9ers...

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching this past conversation among you Niner fans has been interesting to say the least.

Seattle49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching this past conversation among you Niner fans has been interesting to say the least.

A couple of post really isn't a conversation, but whatever.

Plus we see each other on different forums so its not really that uncommon.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of post really isn't a conversation, but whatever.

Plus we see each other on different forums so its not really that uncommon.
Considering it was more than just a "couple" posts and you guys are having a side conversation on another team's forum. But carry on.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Hey bro...appreciate support. I have no idea even who that guy is.

Lets just keep it off this board. Lets just stick to football. We're on a Packer forum and they couldn't care less. :D

That's a big affirmative bud. I've checked out the 9'er forums. I can see why you're here. Fun bunch of new fans you guys have.