33 points of emphasis

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Maybe a little nitpicking but it good to see that this team isn't satisfied with just he win. However IMO the run defense is more of a concern than the lack of offense last week... should be a good game with the Bears to focus on Run defense.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/262676

Packers notes: 33 points of emphasis
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY — Things are going so well for the Green Bay Packers that they left St. Louis on Sunday afternoon unhappy with an offensive performance that "only" produced 33 points.

With exceptional field position — the Packers' average starting spot was their own 48-yard line while the Rams' was the St. Louis 17, a 363-yard differential — coach Mike McCarthy and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin each said Monday that they left too many points on the field.

"Absolutely. I tell you, it was the most dominant game that I've been a part of on either side of the ball from special teams. I thought our special teams (were) tremendous," said McCarthy, who gave a game ball to the entire special-teams group.

"To have 363 yards of field position, I think that in itself tells you what kind of day you potentially could have had on offense. When you win by 19 points and you're frustrated, I think you need to look in the mirror."

What the Packers saw in that mirror were three turnovers (two Brett Favre interceptions and a Ryan Grant fumble) and four Mason Crosby field goals, despite having half of their 12 possessions begin in St. Louis territory and their worst starting spot as their own 31.

"You can't say you're going to score a touchdown on every one of those, but you have three giveaways and four field goals, that's a lot of (missed) opportunities for points," Philbin said. "So we certainly weren't as productive as we should've been.

"I guess it's a good problem to have, but we might never see field position like that again. We've got to do a better job of finishing drives off and taking advantage of opportunities. It's remarkable where we got the ball. That's why it's a little disappointing we didn't do more with it."

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good that the coaches and the team are not satisfied with their performance on Sunday.

It's been said a thousand times, this is a very young team, they cannot become complacent, and I don't think they are listening to all the talking heads out there saying how they a very quickly becoming the team to beat in the play-offs.

Good job by the coaches, we scored 33 but should have probably went over the 50 mark, don't be satisfied until you win the very last game of the season!!!

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The run blocking wasn't very good, and Favre made a couple of godawful throws. And I give the Rams credit for defending the run well. Still, I was happy to see the great performance by the special teams. They needed that to get their confidence up heading into the postseason. But we already know the offense is good, and they will get back to top form.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
The run blocking wasn't very good, and Favre made a couple of godawful throws. And I give the Rams credit for defending the run well. Still, I was happy to see the great performance by the special teams. They needed that to get their confidence up heading into the postseason. But we already know the offense is good, and they will get back to top form.

That's one thing I noticed. The run blocking against the Raiders was significantly better than what we had last Sunday. And Brett's throws weren't bad, he had bad reads of where the Safety was going to be. Or giving credit to the Safety, he read Favre like a book. Favre did fool him once in that TD to Jennings, but other than that, it looks like their Safety won the battle against Favre.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that we sucked, and still won. It was special teams earning us field position and Bigby's picks that made the difference.

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that we sucked, and still won. It was special teams earning us field position and Bigby's picks that made the difference.

I love it, we play like **** and can still win by 19.

slowsinistermo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah thats satisfying to hear coaches frustrated by a 19 pt win...We were pretty bad on both sides of the ball

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts