29th pick.. Eric stokes db

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would much rather prefer to have Alexander paired with Stokes on the outside and don't have King line up there as long as both of them are healthy.
Agree. There may be reluctance by MLF to put Stokes out there, but IMO it's well worth it. Play King inside where he's more likely to match up with a TE - and at least not lose foot races down the sidelines.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Gute had 2 direct hits on shut-down corners recently!! Great work, now need to solidify the DL & ILB positions long-term with a few more hits.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Gute had 2 direct hits on shut-down corners recently!! Great work, now need to solidify the DL & ILB positions long-term with a few more hits.

Barnes has got to be included in that ILB discussions however as well who has for sure been a hit.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barnes has got to be included in that ILB discussions however as well who has for sure been a hit.
Campbell has been THE stud in the middle in '21/'22... but I fear he'll get a much better offer than the Packers can give him to stay. I hope I'm wrong, but Barnes is an adequate #2 ILB, there needs to be a stud next to him moving forward.

Campbell received $6Mil in '20 from the Cards, then GB signed him for $2Mil for '21. Campbell will be 29 when TC opens in '22 and was ranked #1 ILB in late November per PFF. A top-5 contract is in the $15Mil/yr, a top-10 in the $13Mil/yr range.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Campbell getting in that 6-8 range in real money. 13? if he gets it great, i just hope it's not from us.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Campbell has been THE stud in the middle in '21/'22... but I fear he'll get a much better offer than the Packers can give him to stay. I hope I'm wrong, but Barnes is an adequate #2 ILB, there needs to be a stud next to him moving forward.

Campbell received $6Mil in '20 from the Cards, then GB signed him for $2Mil for '21. Campbell will be 29 when TC opens in '22 and was ranked #1 ILB in late November per PFF. A top-5 contract is in the $15Mil/yr, a top-10 in the $13Mil/yr range.

I don't think his age will allow he be signed to a top 5 contract. He will however garner vastly more than GB will be able to do most likely and deservedly so - dude has played lights out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Campbell getting in that 6-8 range in real money. 13? if he gets it great, i just hope it's not from us.

Agree, I wouldn't hesitate to offer him 7 to 8 a year on a three or four year deal with about half that guaranteed.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$8Mil/yr would place him #20 highest paid ILB, behind older, less productive/available guys: Hightower, D. Davis, E. Kendricks, Schobert, Littleton, David, Mosely, & Wagner. I'm guessing Rosenhaus will get him $12+ after his stellar year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
$8Mil/yr would place him #20 highest paid ILB, behind older, less productive/available guys: Hightower, D. Davis, E. Kendricks, Schobert, Littleton, David, Mosely, & Wagner. I'm guessing Rosenhaus will get him $12+ after his stellar year.
Assuming the Packers keep Rodgers and Adams next year, they're gonna be cutting players like the Smiths, Turner, maybe Tonyan. Adams is gonna get $25 mil/year, somewhere, with a ton guaranteed. I hope it's in GB.

I agree that finding a way to keep Campbell is critical. They have not had a LB like him for, well it seems like forever. If they can get him for $6-8 mil/year it would be worth it. Russ Ball has to work his magic again, and Gluten needs a repeat performance pulling productive guys out of a hat with no or minimal cap hit.

It just shows how difficult it is to keep fielding top 5 teams. That GB has now been 13-3 three years in a row is amazing, even with Rodgers. MLF deserves coach of the year honors. Next year will be hard given our expectations. So let's get this SB, very doable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming the Packers keep Rodgers and Adams next year, they're gonna be cutting players like the Smiths, Turner, maybe Tonyan. Adams is gonna get $25 mil/year, somewhere, with a ton guaranteed. I hope it's in GB.

I agree that finding a way to keep Campbell is critical. They have not had a LB like him for, well it seems like forever. If they can get him for $6-8 mil/year it would be worth it. Russ Ball has to work his magic again, and Gluten needs a repeat performance pulling productive guys out of a hat with no or minimal cap hit.

It just shows how difficult it is to keep fielding top 5 teams. That GB has now been 13-3 three years in a row is amazing, even with Rodgers. MLF deserves coach of the year honors. Next year will be hard given our expectations. So let's get this SB, very doable.

I've already said there is no way to keep Adams and Rodgers - throw Campbell in there and I'll raise up my confidence level to 99.99% that not all of them will be back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've already said there is no way to keep Adams and Rodgers - throw Campbell in there and I'll raise up my confidence level to 99.99% that not all of them will be back.
I think they can get Rodgers and Adams. Don't ask me how, probably the rose-colored glassed. My understanding is that right now they're between $30-40 mil over the cap, so you could very well be right. Keeping then both means a lot of cuts. I agree that it may not be possible to keep Campbell. Tonyan is in a contract year as well, right?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they can get Rodgers and Adams. Don't ask me how, probably the rose-colored glassed. My understanding is that right now they're between $30-40 mil over the cap, so you could very well be right. Keeping then both means a lot of cuts. I agree that it may not be possible to keep Campbell. Tonyan is in a contract year as well, right?

Don't forget the crucial aspect of that "currently over the cap" figure....involves less than 40 players (38 if memory serves right). We really have about $63M to save somewhere....

The beginning of this article does a decent job explaining that 60+ figure. https://wisportsheroics.com/packers-2022-salary-cap-projections/

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the crucial aspect of that "currently over the cap" figure....involves less than 40 players (38 if memory serves right). We really have about $63M to save somewhere....

The beginning of this article does a decent job explaining that 60+ figure. https://wisportsheroics.com/packers-2022-salary-cap-projections/
Thanks Ty. Well this situation GB is in is a good example that eventually, the piper must be paid. Contracts and void years can only be used to a point, and then like a wave it all comes rolling in. I do hope GB can get Rodgers and Adams because I think they will end up in the same place. Rodgers is playing too well to say goodbye.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Ty. Well this situation GB is in is a good example that eventually, the piper must be paid. Contracts and void years can only be used to a point, and then like a wave it all comes rolling in. I do hope GB can get Rodgers and Adams because I think they will end up in the same place. Rodgers is playing too well to say goodbye.

Honestly, I disagree. I think there is actually a higher probability if one asked me to place it that Cobb and Rodgers are together in 2022 than Adams and Rodgers. Minimum together Rodgers and Adams are going to cost a team in excess of $50M or so a year. That is an incredible amount of cap swallowed up by two roster spots, and the teams which have cap position to do it are limited and let's not remember the Rodgers part of this is a trade and I don't think we will ship him just anywhere. Needless to say as fans we should dread the offseason decisions coming BUT that can be saved for when this season is over, for now let's smile, eat, drink and be merry for we are the #1 seed!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey Ty, I just read that excellent article you provided. The article is well written and everyone here should read it. The Packers are a victim of drafting great players, and paying them. Eventually, they can't all be paid and eventually, tricks to extend contracts and add voided years all run out. I'm gonna put this on hold until this season is over. This season is just too much fun and the Packers have the best shot at a Lombardi since 2010. When the season is over, for better or worse, I'll start to follow the difficult job the Packers FO will have next year.

Unsolicited advice to all Packer fans - enjoy this year! Ignore the future. We can't predict t it anyway.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Instead of rehash the same talking points of AR12, DA17, and the rest of the expected offseason moves that are dominating every thread we get back to the subject of this thread. Mainly how Stokes has held his own this year and is expected to have a bright future.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of rehash the same talking points of AR12, DA17, and the rest of the expected offseason moves that are dominating every thread we get back to the subject of this thread. Mainly how Stokes has held his own this year and is expected to have a bright future.

Stokes was as many know from my onslaught of draft mocks and threads a special athlete in my opinion. We saw early this year especially what I figured would be dominate his entire rookie season till the last couple games maybe - an oober athletic and speedy CB relying more on his ability to close the gap on mistakes than actually be in position from the point of go. My my my how fast he has progressed. His hips were always loose and are, but man his anticipation and response time is something to behold and IMO is hitting a stride I didn't expect to see till his second year. Early couple games we saw a few deep balls where he honestly didn't play them well but could close with his exceptional speed to make up for it....there are times now where the dude is in position from the snap and throughout the play. Does he still get toasted by some of the veteran route runners he's been up against this year? Sure, but heaven to betsy folks Stokes is the real deal it seems. If we can work out an extension with Jaire, I honest to God believe we have the future of the BEST DB duo in the league together at some point in Stokes rookie contract.

This involves Stokes and here is as good a spot as any, but heard a CRAZY thought from a buddy while chatting Packers. With the way Stokes is playing, Rasul's emergence and our INTENSE CAP issues. Has Stokes and Rasul showed enough to make the team think NOT to extend Jaire and roll the future into Rasul and Stokes mainly? I'm not there yet personally, as that means letting Jaire's 2022 cost explode without an extension unless you trade him....but dangit if that isn't an option out there that isn't asinine.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes was as many know from my onslaught of draft mocks and threads a special athlete in my opinion. We saw early this year especially what I figured would be dominate his entire rookie season till the last couple games maybe - an oober athletic and speedy CB relying more on his ability to close the gap on mistakes than actually be in position from the point of go. My my my how fast he has progressed. His hips were always loose and are, but man his anticipation and response time is something to behold and IMO is hitting a stride I didn't expect to see till his second year. Early couple games we saw a few deep balls where he honestly didn't play them well but could close with his exceptional speed to make up for it....there are times now where the dude is in position from the snap and throughout the play. Does he still get toasted by some of the veteran route runners he's been up against this year? Sure, but heaven to betsy folks Stokes is the real deal it seems. If we can work out an extension with Jaire, I honest to God believe we have the future of the BEST DB duo in the league together at some point in Stokes rookie contract.

This involves Stokes and here is as good a spot as any, but heard a CRAZY thought from a buddy while chatting Packers. With the way Stokes is playing, Rasul's emergence and our INTENSE CAP issues. Has Stokes and Rasul showed enough to make the team think NOT to extend Jaire and roll the future into Rasul and Stokes mainly? I'm not there yet personally, as that means letting Jaire's 2022 cost explode without an extension unless you trade him....but dangit if that isn't an option out there that isn't asinine.
Agree with everything you said about Stokes. He's playing like it's his second year in his first year. His hips are on a swivel and that allows him to get his head around and track the ball. Very rare for a first year guy picked 29th overall.

And I've heard it mentioned that with the play of Douglas (and Stokes), do we really need to pay Alexander (and that will be a hefty payday)? That's a nice problem to have. (Given the Packers' cap situation they may have to let him walk.) I'd like to see how Douglas performs next year. But watching his play, there's no reason to believe he's a fluke. He's a smart, smart DB and he finally landed in the right place with the right coaches.

I don't remember the last time I felt this good about the Packers secondary and the LB group. Now, gotta get some help for the DL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I've heard it mentioned that with the play of Douglas (and Stokes), do we really need to pay Alexander (and that will be a hefty payday)? That's a nice problem to have. (Given the Packers' cap situation they may have to let him walk.) I'd like to see how Douglas performs next year. But watching his play, there's no reason to believe he's a fluke. He's a smart, smart DB and he finally landed in the right place with the right coaches.

I don't remember the last time I felt this good about the Packers secondary and the LB group. Now, gotta get some help for the DL.

Here's the bad thing though, we don't have the luxury of signing Rasul after this year to "test him" in 2022 AND do nothing on Jaire. Jaire's cost explodes from 3.8M to 13.29M in 2022. The Jaire decision, whatever it is, must be done this off season.

One would think that if losing Jaire means you can afford to keep more of the gang together, it is a cost Gute and Co. may be willing to gamble with and trade a PREMEIRE top 3 CB in a passing league in his PRIME. Any trade partner would then be able to work out a contract with him of their own and honest to God I would for sure assume we'd get a 1st rounder and probably a Day 3 tossed in as well.

No joke it is an option which has enough merit fiscally that I am betting it is written down somewhere in all the options and workings and decisions Gute and Co. have before them once the season ends. Like all the rest though, no decisions or plans need made now - there is still a ton of work to do even now for Gute and Co. Shoot just picking up the new returner this late is a sign they never stop.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the bad thing though, we don't have the luxury of signing Rasul after this year to "test him" in 2022 AND do nothing on Jaire. Jaire's cost explodes from 3.8M to 13.29M in 2022. The Jaire decision, whatever it is, must be done this off season.

One would think that if losing Jaire means you can afford to keep more of the gang together, it is a cost Gute and Co. may be willing to gamble with and trade a PREMEIRE top 3 CB in a passing league in his PRIME. Any trade partner would then be able to work out a contract with him of their own and honest to God I would for sure assume we'd get a 1st rounder and probably a Day 3 tossed in as well.

No joke it is an option which has enough merit fiscally that I am betting it is written down somewhere in all the options and workings and decisions Gute and Co. have before them once the season ends. Like all the rest though, no decisions or plans need made now - there is still a ton of work to do even now for Gute and Co. Shoot just picking up the new returner this late is a sign they never stop.
I forgot Jaire is due $13 mil next year. And we've talked about their cap problems. So yeah, they may have to trade him. They might get a first rounder for him if a team wants him badly enough. Could they trade him before the 2022 draft?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot Jaire is due $13 mil next year. And we've talked about their cap problems. So yeah, they may have to trade him. They might get a first rounder for him if a team wants him badly enough. Could they trade him before the 2022 draft?
Extending Jaire will lower his cap hit. As it stands the 13 million is all salary from the 5th year option. They will convert most if not all of that to a signing bonus and lower the hit. It will probably still be in the neighborhood of 5 or 6 million but we will save some on the cap.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...Stokes good.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stokes is better, sooner, than most of us could've dreamed.

A good team needs at least 3 great/good CB's to survive injuries and a serviceable backup or 2. I certainly hope Alexander is in the plans for the future, otherwise Gute will be re-signing King for $5Mil/yr. and we are all hoping & praying he isn't needed.

Douglas is a top 60 CB and possibly much higher on some team's list. Top 50 CB contract puts him in the $3.75-$5Mil/yr range, top 40 gets him $6Mil/yr., and top 30 in the $7-$8Mil/yr range. I would hope Gute offers up a 5yr/$25Mil deal to keep him with backloaded years 4 & 5 salary in case he regresses.

Alexander will get approx. 5yr/$100Mil for being a top 3 shut-down CB in his mid-20's and deserves it. Really, really hoping he's around through 2026.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as the trade Alexander option my only fear is that teams are afraid you are trading him because of his injured shoulder and do not offer what one might expect.
Stokes looks great.
If you can't get Douglass for 4-5 million I resign Jaire for sure. Hopefully they can keep all 3. Of course that makes the almost impossible task of keeping Adams even harder.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Poppa San. I agree that Stokes has had close to a perfect year for a rookie. He's made mistakes in coverage, but King made more coverage mistakes last year in the NFCCG than Stokes has in 16 games. (OK, I'm overstating that a little. I just don't think highly of King.) But Stokes quick learning curve and the pleasant surprise of Douglas make me wonder what they'll do with Alexander in the off season. I has assumed they'd keep him, now I'm not so sure. The topics are a bit intertwined, but yeah, this thread is about Stokes. Great pick by Gluten, great find at #29. I'd take Stokes over the Browns' Denzel Ward who went at #4 I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts