2023 Tyni's Prospect Thread

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we ask ourselves. He’s 6’6” 5/8 so can he catch? Hmmm

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Darnell has always been a guy with hands, he merely took the dirty block role in light of Bowers being there, if Bowers hadn’t been there Washington I would bet serious money would have had double if not triple the production.

Reaction score
Darnell has always been a guy with hands, he merely took the dirty block role in light of Bowers being there, if Bowers hadn’t been there Washington I would bet serious money would have had double if not triple the production.
Amazing Combine. He stole the Show at TE. Washington is still not a bonafide Day 1 draft prospect, but he sure made a good case for early Round 2 imo. He reminds me of the TE version of Metcalf. Everybody was timid about him also. His ceiling is around top 30 area; his floor around top ~70.

Reaction score
This shows he’s got great power at TE. Reminds me of a young Marcedes Lewis as a blocker. You’re definitely not running around him untouched. He’s got 1/4” shy of 84” Wingspan. That unbelievable. I think I read that’s a Combine record length. Huge hands also.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But we ask ourselves. He’s 6’6” 5/8 so can he catch? Hmmm

"after further review, no catch, the receiver only had 1 foot in bounds" ;)

I remember the first time I saw Darnell on TV, I was like "WTF...he's a TE?" The guy is massive. I have also been noticing him moving up in some scouting reports, to the point where he could go 1st round, that catch alone, will move him up some spots.

If Love is our QB, Gute really needs to invest in a quality TE and with how loaded this draft is with TE's, this is the draft to do it. I don't think our 15th pick or the 13th pick we get from the Jets would be the one to invest in him, but if they trade back into the later part of the 1st round, he might still be there. Mayer and Kincaid are still my #1 and #2 preferences, but I wouldn't be sad about Washington being a Packer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like Laporta and Kuntz. I would be weary going TE before round 3.
Given how deep the TE class is, they still might get a decent TE in the 3rd or even 4th round. Kuntz is an interesting prospect, that might have a big untapped upside.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As much as I love five of them early, to me I think I’d hold off using a first as I suspect one of my five will be there at 45.

If we trade Rodgers and we somehow have two firsts, the luxury of it would make it more palatable for sure and don’t get me wrong I’ll get the pick if we go TE first round but I just don’t know how I feel about doing so unless trade back to late first.

I still think the top shelf strength at edge, CB or one of the top iDL are just flat nasty hard to not pick if we sit there with no trade partners at 15. With the four QBs pushing themselves into top ten picks there will be one or two top ten guys on Gutes board still there at 15 and possibly top 5 even.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR I see six TEs that I have zero doubt could start year one for a team - Musgrave, Mayer, Washington, Kincaid, Kraft and LaPorta

There are a ton of other guys I think can be lot of snap year one TE2 types like Davis Allen, Payne Durham, Josh Whyle, Willis,Schoonmaker…

Few others further yet with promise Kuntz, Latu, Mallory, Strange

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the four QBs pushing themselves into top ten picks there will be one or two top ten guys on Gutes board still there at 15 and possibly top 5 even.
Bryce Young measuring in at Kyler Murray tiny (5-10, 204lbs) will some team really make him a top-10 pick?? Young may end up better than Murray if he does any weekly film prep...but that is really small for an NFL QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bryce Young measuring in at Kyler Murray tiny (5-10, 204lbs) will some team really make him a top-10 pick?? Young may end up better than Murray if he does any weekly film prep...but that is really small for an NFL QB.
I always thought he looked shorter than the 6' that Alabama listed him at. Amazing how some of these athletes shrink between their last college snap and the combine. Must be something in the air causing it in Indy? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His height shocked no one trust me. I honestly would have bet he came in under 5’10’ . His stock wasn’t hit

Reaction score
I wouldn’t. Which draft in the last 10 years had a better total TE crop before Round 3? I don’t see any, but I do see 5-6 TE’s gone in the top 64 and that in itself speaks to this TE class. Additionally it crosses with arguably our #1 need. That’s a gift on a silver platter and it fits. Now concerning what Brian will do? I do not know, but I do believe it’s 1 of the top 3 areas we’ve failed at since our last SB.

I know a WR would be nice. However someone like Mayer. Kincaid or Washington would look pretty good in Green n Gold.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kuntz put on a show also. Several guys really impressed. It’s been a few years since we’ve had a nice TE grouping in Day1-Day2.
Agree. One report I listened to said that Mayer didn't do anything that scouts didn't expect, but because some of the other TE's did, Mayer's stock might have fallen a bit. I am even seeing some sites putting Kincaid ahead of Mayer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn’t. Which draft in the last 10 years had a better total TE crop before Round 3? I don’t see any
I do see quite possibly5-6 TE’s gone in the top 64 and that in itself speaks to this TE class. Additionally it crosses with arguably our #1 need. That’s a gift on a silver platter and it fits exactly with our need.

I know a WR would be nice. However someone like Mayer. Kincaid or Washington would look pretty good in Green n Gold.
The TE position is starting to remind me of TT and the CB position. How many large darts had to be thrown before a decent CB was found? Gute has already thrown 2 medium sized darts (3rd round picks) at TE and hasn't hit (IMO). Yeah, its a deep draft class, but if you have a shot at one of the top 4 with a late first rounder or a second rounder, you fire it. Wait around too long and we are back to developmental TE's, that either are ok at receiving but need work at blocking or vice versa.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. One report I listened to said that Mayer didn't do anything that scouts didn't expect, but because some of the other TE's did, Mayer's stock might have fallen a bit. I am even seeing some sites putting Kincaid ahead of Mayer.

I don’t see any of the big 5 or 6 ones changing their stock much unless it was for scouts that weren’t paying attention or doing their diligence.

Now guys like Davis Allen, Willis and a few others I think may have moved needle more than anyone.

I’ve always heard the combine exercises for most add the punctuation on a guy…

Period - he is what I thought he was.

Exclamation - whoa, there is more here than I saw and I want to see more tape again.

Question Mark - Was he ever what I thought I saw?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I hope they don't take a TE or WR until 3rd round at the earliest. I am predicating this on my belief AR is not traded so there will not be xtra picks. I am also in the camp that believes AR does not throw to the TE as much as other QBs. I am waiting to list my needs list order until after FAs are signed or released.

Reaction score
The TE position is starting to remind me of TT and the CB position. How many large darts had to be thrown before a decent CB was found? Gute has already thrown 2 medium sized darts (3rd round picks) at TE and hasn't hit (IMO). Yeah, its a deep draft class, but if you have a shot at one of the top 4 with a late first rounder or a second rounder, you fire it. Wait around too long and we are back to developmental TE's, that either are ok at receiving but need work at blocking or vice versa.
Yep. I certainly don’t want to reach either. If they genuinely think Mayer or Kincaid are 25-35 overall guys? And They know far better than I do. Don’t draft one with #15 etc.. go ahead and grab the best DL/Edge/WR/CB. I say CB because Gute eluded to possibilities of Rasul playing Safety and there’s a shortage at Safety this draft.

However if they see a TE with a late 1st round grade approaching 35-40 overall?
Or a 2nd Round grade etc.. slipping to that 70+ overall area?
Those are situations it may not be too costly to move up 5+ spots and grab one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned in another thread, I don't put any stock into Rodgers not throwing to tight ends. Unfortunately the Packers didn't surround him with good enough weapons at the position for him to target them more often for most of his career though. Especially considering the team had a ton of talent at receiver for long stretches.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t believe he was as fast as the tape showed….then he literally ran the 16th fastest time clocked at the senior bowl out of everyone…..now I have a friend that has confirmed he is in workouts hitting the sub 4.5 range.

Tape didn’t lie but i didn’t believe it. His juice is a whole nother level…and from a school that asked him to block far more than use his juice just screams to me
I think your friend was wrong.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your friend was wrong.

Right, I actually shot him a text as he isn't the type to make claims unless he has seen or only very trusted sources. Sounds like Musgrave's camp is not happy with it and hope to get him closer if not beneath that 4.55 range. Some guys are just fast on grass and games but not in shorts...his game film is fast - he's still my TE1 but I'll admit the top 5 arguably 6 TEs are very strong IMO and there are some VERY solid type guys in that TE6-TE12 range that I like at appropriate spots.

I keep coming back to the concept of don't push TE, let one come to you at 45 out of the top 5/6...then double dip mid rounds on a guy like Davis Allen, Zach Kuntz, Payne Durham or such.

As I watched film, now combine and keep thinking on things I am more and more confident our first pick if we stay at #15 and no trade of Rodgers happens will be an EDGE/CB or OT prospect with an incredibly high ceiling. There is a legit chance if a run on QBs happen like I suspect that by the time our pick happens Gute could have his CB1 still left, his OT1 left and a top 3 or 4 Edge. Worst case I envision he will have a top 3 CB and OT there and Top 5 Edge. The top shelves of each of those positions are VERY STRONG. I still don't think this WR class is the incredible top shelf wise, but that second shelf right below top shelf is loaded with guys.

Speaking of WRs....I already loved them but Cedric Tillman and Jonathan Mingo went out and showcased why they are very special bigger wideouts that I think are instantly a teams' WR3 out the gate worst case.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the Combine #'s I really like the size, speed & athleticism (Vert. & 3-cone) of Zach Kuntz. 6'-07", 255 lbs, 4.55 forty, 6.87 3-cone, 40" vertical, and 10.25" hands (along with 23 reps on bench). Will definitely dive deeper into his tape, but excited for that type of athlete on the edge. Musgrave, LaPorta, Schoonmaker & Washington didn't hurt themselves but a little disappointed LaPorta is "only" 6'-3" tall & Schoonmaker has smaller hands (9").

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Looking at the Combine #'s I really like the size, speed & athleticism (Vert. & 3-cone) of Zach Kuntz. 6'-07", 255 lbs, 4.55 forty, 6.87 3-cone, 40" vertical, and 10.25" hands (along with 23 reps on bench). Will definitely dive deeper into his tape, but excited for that type of athlete on the edge. Musgrave, LaPorta, Schoonmaker & Washington didn't hurt themselves but a little disappointed LaPorta is "only" 6'-3" tall & Schoonmaker has smaller hands (9").
I just like the fact that there are a LOT of TE's to consider. Does anyone have a breakdown of what teams have TE as a high need? I assume the Packers keep an eye on things like that, to determine when a resource might get tapped out. Given that the Packers TE cupboard is almost bare, I wouldn't be surprised to see them double dip at the position, especially if they can accumulate a few extra picks in a Rodgers trade and/or trading back in the first round.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone have a breakdown of what teams have TE as a high need? I assume the Packers keep an eye on things like that, to determine when a resource might get tapped out.
Using Drafttek.com's team needs page the Packers need a TE as 4th highest priority, behind S, WR, OT.
Other teams needing a TE similarly high-priority are: Cincy, Houston, Indy, Tenn, & Tampa.
Slightly less of priority but still need a TE are: Miami, Jax, KC, LAC, NYG and Detroit.

Going thru their team-need listing is frightening as many other teams have a high priority on S & Edge. I'm guessing Gute needs to jump on a Safety at #15 (or trade back into later round 1) if he wants a top-3 Safety in this draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LaPorta everyone knew was under 6'4' that watched tape and saw that Iowa listed him just at it...I've yet to see any school put the actual measurement and I swear many seem to just ask the player lol

I had George Kittle circled as the best player comp I could think of for LaPorta - and they are VERY similar prospects. I'd honestly argue LaPorta has a slightly better body movement about his patterns coming out of college vs Kittle, but Kittle had a touch more physical strength.

Members online

Latest posts