2023 Round 1 Pick #13:Lukas Van Ness Edge

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Actually prefer Washington but scared of medical issue.

What medical issues? I must have missed something.

I was going to ask the same thing.

I thought i saw a talking head tweet that he was off some teams draft board because he failed the medical.

I thought they said last night that that was why Mayer dropped.

I think if we all get busy, get on all the Social Media platforms and start talking about "Mayer and Washington both having undisclosed injuries, that might push them to the 6th round", the Packers could get them both with a 2nd and a 3rd. :coffee:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought i saw a talking head tweet that he was off some teams draft board because he failed the medical. I just googled and didn't find anything. Anyone else see that?
Crap. I googled up a storm and couldnt find it. I thought I saw that and removed him from the draft contest. One of my favorites in the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was expecting offense, but the board falling the way that it did suggests to me that they didn't see the value.

Johnson and Wright at OT were gone. Jones was there, but Jones has some serious critics in the league. I am not capable of judging the finer points of OL play, but Cosell didn't like him at all, Thorn pointed out a lot of flaws, and I heard that one OL coach said he has bad feet in pass pro. I do know that Isaiah McGuire lit him up like a Christmas tree.

Most of us loved JSN, including myself, but the league simply didn't feel the same way that the media did. The WR's didn't start going until pick #20.

A TE at #12 is really early. They better be amazing. And clearly the league didn't see that, because only one TE went and he lasted to #26.

So at that point what do you do? Take offense just for the sake of saying you took offense? Or take the much more highly rated pass rusher?
Yeah Gluten made the right call with Van Ness. As you point out, first WR is off at #20, and the only TE goes at #26. There will be time Friday to add a TE and WR at much better value.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm just happy that the Packers got Love in 2020 and weren't looking to replace Rodgers in this draft. Sure, they could have taken Levis, but seeing that he is still on the board, quite a reach. Move up to get one of the other 3, two of which I think have lots of questions about being NFL ready? Sure, but that would have been pretty pricey to do so.

Reaction score
I think if we all get busy, get on all the Social Media platforms and start talking about "Mayer and Washington both having undisclosed injuries, that might push them to the 6th round", the Packers could get them both with a 2nd and a 3rd. :coffee:
Funny. I was going to a say similar response. I’m in it I’ve already started false instagram posts.
Yeah Gluten made the right call with Van Ness. As you point out, first WR is off at #20, and the only TE goes at #26. There will be time Friday to add a TE and WR at much better value.
If we draw a little luck, we might steal a later Day1 (consensus) TE at #42/45. It’s an area that’s not painful at all if we miss.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
LVN is going to be a solid player. Give him one year, and he's going to be out there making plays as good as anyone on the roster.

The difference between him and Gary is that he's extremely intelligent, and won't need over two years to learn the system. He'll have it figured out during the second half of this season, and put it all to work when they break camp next year, with the added strength he'll gain from the Packers off season program for him.

2023 is a lost season, no matter what anyone wants to say. If you expect we won't be drafting in the top 10 next year, you're probably expecting way too much. If we win 7, we should be ecstatic. I figure that's about our best, and it could be 5 or 6. Who knows? Maybe even less.
You like Jordan Love that much, do ya?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LVN is going to be a solid player. Give him one year, and he's going to be out there making plays as good as anyone on the roster.

The difference between him and Gary is that he's extremely intelligent, and won't need over two years to learn the system. He'll have it figured out during the second half of this season, and put it all to work when they break camp next year, with the added strength he'll gain from the Packers off season program for him.

2023 is a lost season, no matter what anyone wants to say. If you expect we won't be drafting in the top 10 next year, you're probably expecting way too much. If we win 7, we should be ecstatic. I figure that's about our best, and it could be 5 or 6. Who knows? Maybe even less.
Voyageur, how do you know Van Ness is more intelligent than Gary? What's that based on? Just curious.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few games with a single bar facemask will fix that.

He dropped it though and had to be helped across the finish line.

Wrong religion. JC's Sabbath was sundown Friday through sundown Saturday. Playing on Sundays would be ok with Him.
He would listen to his father and Sunday would be a day of rest.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would listen to his father and Sunday would be a day of rest.
Time to practice some freedom of religion, including none.

Good day two for Gluten. Did what he had to do for a undermanned O. I know passing on Branch has some knickers in a bunch, but trust Gluten to make that call. I reserve the right to change my mind on this too.....

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to practice some freedom of religion, including none.

Good day two for Gluten. Did what he had to do for a undermanned O. I know passing on Branch has some knickers in a bunch, but trust Gluten to make that call. I reserve the right to change my mind on this too.....
Like to see someone stick to their guns. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Branch wasn’t a guy I wanted before many other safeties. I’d take Joseph from ND before him honestly
Agree 100%. I think Branch is over-rated because of where he played and more importantly, the players around him, made him look better. Smallish guy, that doesn't have the greatest coverage skills. Not saying he won't make it in the NFL, but he might end up being a Ha Ha Clinton-Dix like guy.

Reaction score
Count me in the group that wanted JSN or a stud OT, but I am happy with the pick, and in hindsight, I think it was the right pick because there was a run-on edge rushers, and this is a great edge-rusher class. I think we have found our receiving later in the draft like usual and we can get Bak's replacement next year.

LVN was my favorite edge rusher that we could realistically get (no way we were getting Will Anderson and Tyree Wilson). I like him because he is very similar to Rashan Gary, his versatility (he can also help us on the defensive line) and he can provide depth while being a rotational piece, then take over for Preston Smith when he leaves.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Count me in the group that wanted JSN or a stud OT, but I am happy with the pick, and in hindsight, I think it was the right pick because there was a run-on edge rushers, and this is a great edge-rusher class. I think we have found our receiving later in the draft like usual and we can get Bak's replacement next year.

LVN was my favorite edge rusher that we could realistically get (no way we were getting Will Anderson and Tyree Wilson). I like him because he is very similar to Rashan Gary, his versatility (he can also help us on the defensive line) and he can provide depth while being a rotational piece, then take over for Preston Smith when he leaves.

Time will tell I didn’t like board at 13 but LVN traits are undeniable and worst case we have a guy that will eat snaps for years but I suspect lot more by year two or three

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time will tell I didn’t like board at 13 but LVN traits are undeniable and worst case we have a guy that will eat snaps for years but I suspect lot more by year two or three
I think Gluten took the BPA at #13. There weren't any TEs or WRs worthy of the pick, so he showed some restraint. First impression here is that it was one of his better drafts. We'll know in 3 years, maybe sooner for some guys.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gluten took the BPA at #13. There weren't any TEs or WRs worthy of the pick, so he showed some restraint. First impression here is that it was one of his better drafts. We'll know in 3 years, maybe sooner for some guys.

I’ve seen time and time again folks grading us as one of the best.

Profootballnetwork had us first

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's interesting, thanks. Hey, it's better than the days when it seemed like every year they took bad CBs in the first two rounds. The CB group has gotten a lot better since, but damn there were some lost opportunities. This year it seemed like Gluten made all the right moves in the draft. And even the 11 UDFAs looks promising.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Right now "Draft Grades" are about as meaningful as "Strength of schedules". Neither really mean much and predicated on using old data, that may or may not translate into meaningful data.

The Packers ended up with 13 new players from this draft. That is a lot of darts thrown and we can only hope quite a few were bullseyes or near to, time will tell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now "Draft Grades" are about as meaningful as "Strength of schedules". Neither really mean much and predicated on using old data, that may or may not translate into meaningful data.

The Packers ended up with 13 new players from this draft. That is a lot of darts thrown and we can only hope quite a few were bullseyes or near to, time will tell.

Yes and no, all depends how the grades were handed out. Was it merely ranking based on a teams picks according to pre draft rankings of that entity? Less worthy…

Was it someone analyzing needs, BPA and or how improved their depth of roster became…those are worth touch more.

Grading draft from a prospect perspective is different than grading drafts IMO…that cannot be done fully till four years removed…three minimum.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Grading draft from a prospect perspective is different than grading drafts IMO…that cannot be done fully till four years removed…three minimum.
Agree. You understand that, but many don't.

The "average" fan sees that someone from "JGSdraftguru.com" gave the Packers a "D grade", 2 hrs. after the draft was over and they sulk. Meanwhile those "draft gurus" at JGS probably based the grade mostly on their pre-draft projection of each player chosen, no matter the team or situation.

As you said, I don't put much stock in grading drafts, until that 3-4 year window. Even then, things can change.

What I enjoy know, is reverse engineering each Packer pick and seeing how he was seen as a fit on to this team and the potential he has, as a Green Bay Packer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There was a good draft promo piece by Aaron Jones, I should have bookmarked it. But it was him reading a scouts negative draft review of himself. Can't remember what AJ said after, but it was basically "prove them wrong and go for it."

All the guys that were drafted or got signed as UDFA's are now going to be doing what they have been dreaming about doing for a long time. I hope they all can have the Aaron Jones like careers, rather than a Henry Ruggs ending.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a surprise.

If the rumors be true, this is a guy the Patriots coveted. It would explain why the Packers wanted to exchange first round picks with the Jets as part of the Rodgers deal, and why New England immediately traded out of the #14 spot after Van Ness was off the board.

Ironically, that allowed the Steelers to nab Broderick Jones, the last premium LT on the board, right in front of the Jets. Gotta love draft drama.

Members online

Latest posts