2023 Round 1 Pick #13:Lukas Van Ness Edge

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope we land either Mayer, Washington, Musgrave or Kraft and my concerns at TE will diminish greatly. All those players should have productive careers (barring injury)

I suspect Mayer and Washington go first. Musgrave is the perfect option for a team willing to wait 1-2 seasons to see him flourish. He has an impressive body type, thick and fast and while he had another low productivity college stat line, he has a very high ceiling. Both him and Kraft are proven in Cold weather, which is a +
Rumors around Washington is he is off some draft boards due to medical. Could be over stated to get him to drop. Otherwise he is my top choice. I think Meyer will be gone soon, so I'm thinking Musgrave. Probably Meyer could trigger a run on TEs and we are looking at the next tier.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LVN is going to be a solid player. Give him one year, and he's going to be out there making plays as good as anyone on the roster.

The difference between him and Gary is that he's extremely intelligent, and won't need over two years to learn the system. He'll have it figured out during the second half of this season, and put it all to work when they break camp next year, with the added strength he'll gain from the Packers off season program for him.

2023 is a lost season, no matter what anyone wants to say. If you expect we won't be drafting in the top 10 next year, you're probably expecting way too much. If we win 7, we should be ecstatic. I figure that's about our best, and it could be 5 or 6. Who knows? Maybe even less.

Reaction score
We’ve now got a very good tandem at Edge and a player in Lukas that can move inside on occasion, so he relieves some critical need there (although I think we still need a dedicated DT)
He’s such an interesting athlete because he’s relatively raw, but still productive without having an arsenal of moves. I think he’s going to flourish while learning behind Rashan and Preston. We’ve got a very good tandem at Edge and his low should be better side of Nick Perry ish. His ceiling high is dependent on how he he is coached and utilized. Hercules Sky limit

Last edited:
Reaction score
2023 is a lost season, no matter what anyone wants to say. If you expect we won't be drafting in the top 10 next year, you're probably expecting way too much. If we win 7, we should be ecstatic. I figure that's about our best, and it could be 5 or 6. Who knows? Maybe even less.
That perfectly explains this selection. I suspect a better case scenario is picking mid draft again (hopefully 2X in Round 1) ;)
Very possible we’re inside #10 overall. Go get us a WR next season that tears heads off on the Perimeter. We’ve got 2 drafts to get this done right. Next draft we break the WR mold and get a Route Man, Marvin Harrison type player. I’m about 60% sure they will be focusing on him next draft and they’ll have the firepower to get our guy too.

Is Ringo available? Get him now and Marvin later. Those guys are practically best buddies :whistling:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He's too pretty. No game face. He won't be able to intimidate anyone.
Few games with a single bar facemask will fix that.
I see him as more of a RB, a plodder, he carried that cross with determination! :coffee:
He dropped it though and had to be helped across the finish line.
There is good reason to not like picking Jesus Christ. He does not play on Sundays.
Wrong religion. JC's Sabbath was sundown Friday through sundown Saturday. Playing on Sundays would be ok with Him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope we land either Mayer, Washington, Musgrave or Kraft and my concerns at TE will diminish greatly. All those players should have productive careers (barring injury)

I suspect Mayer and Washington go first. Musgrave is the perfect option for a team willing to wait 1-2 seasons to see him flourish. He has an impressive body type, thick and fast and while he had another low productivity college stat line, he has a very high ceiling. Both him and Kraft are proven in Cold weather, which is a +
There still are a lot of guys on the board that were in the green room, as well as projected first round guys. I think if Gute wants one of the top 4 TE's, he's going to have a shot at one of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wrong religion. JC's Sabbath was sundown Friday through sundown Saturday. Playing on Sundays would be ok with Him.
Yup. I was raised as a catholic boy, with lots of Sunday school. Lots of people mistake the "....and he rested on the 7th day" as meaning Sunday. However, that 7th day was actually Saturday.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are aware of the unique structure Iowa follows in regards of underclassmen and upperclassmen correct? I'm going to assume not, also going to assume you did zero research into his snap counts and such or you'd understand the "starting statement" is just not worthy of mentioning.

As for the GM...lets look over Gutes' First Round Picks so far:

Jaire Alexander - Easily a Top 10 guy in his position league wide
Rashan Gary - Easily a Top 10 guy, some statistics he can claim as a Top 5 at his position in the league.
Darnell Savage - One season at starting level that was acceptable...down since, this year will make or break his future IMO: Gute's first "miss" in the first but could still a NFL caliber guy just not elite.
Jordan Love - This year and next will show whether hit or miss.
Eric Stokes - Was one of the best rookies in that class first year, last year slow start and injury...too soon to know.
Quay Walker - Starter caliber off ball, who may end up being very special if he can keep emotions controlled.
DeVonte Wyatt - Slow start, showed what he was late in the season...like walker too early to say.

So in 7 guys, he has taken two All Pro level types....you could stop there and deem him quite successful with the verdict still out on last four with two (Stokes/Walker) though appearing solid...you'd have to be purposefully hiding from the truth to blast Gute for his day 1 picks from a player perspective. I completely believe there is validity in being critical if it doesn't fit the direction or the offensive weapon only mindset some have (not saying you do specifically).
Yeah and other than trading the pick, there were no other players matching GB’s needs worthy of a #13 pick.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are aware of the unique structure Iowa follows in regards of underclassmen and upperclassmen correct? I'm going to assume not, also going to assume you did zero research into his snap counts and such or you'd understand the "starting statement" is just not worthy of mentioning.

As for the GM...lets look over Gutes' First Round Picks so far:

Jaire Alexander - Easily a Top 10 guy in his position league wide
Rashan Gary - Easily a Top 10 guy, some statistics he can claim as a Top 5 at his position in the league.
Darnell Savage - One season at starting level that was acceptable...down since, this year will make or break his future IMO: Gute's first "miss" in the first but could still a NFL caliber guy just not elite.
Jordan Love - This year and next will show whether hit or miss.
Eric Stokes - Was one of the best rookies in that class first year, last year slow start and injury...too soon to know.
Quay Walker - Starter caliber off ball, who may end up being very special if he can keep emotions controlled.
DeVonte Wyatt - Slow start, showed what he was late in the season...like walker too early to say.

So in 7 guys, he has taken two All Pro level types....you could stop there and deem him quite successful with the verdict still out on last four with two (Stokes/Walker) though appearing solid...you'd have to be purposefully hiding from the truth to blast Gute for his day 1 picks from a player perspective. I completely believe there is validity in being critical if it doesn't fit the direction or the offensive weapon only mindset some have (not saying you do specifically).
Good information here. There's not much to complain about as to Gute's early picks. Then, add in Watson in the second round last year, and the picks look pretty good. It paints a much different picture than what a lot of people have chosen to believe.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring a trade up, Mayer will be qgone. I don’t like Washington, good blocker not a receiver. So hoping for Musgrave. And ideally Mingo at WR. That’s a solid round 2.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. I was raised as a catholic boy, with lots of Sunday school. Lots of people mistake the "....and he rested on the 7th day" as meaning Sunday. However, that 7th day was actually Saturday.
The 7th day is still Saturday. In the Jewish faith, they observe Sabbath from Sunset on Friday, until after dark, on Saturday. Seventh-Day-Adventists observe the Sabbath on Saturdays, as the only Christian Church that I know of, that does so.

Being Catholic myself, I often prefer to attend Mass on Saturday evening instead of Sunday. I do it so I can actually plan an entire day on Sunday, to do things, like travel a fairly long distance to visit friends, and still return home that evening. Down here in Texas, going up to 200 miles each way to enjoy a BBQ with friends is fairly common. We often drive from the northern Burbs of Austin TX down to both New Braunfels, and San Antonio for a day visit. It's just under 100 each way, to where we go in San Antonio.

Cornelius Weems

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cool. You have to understand that Idc if you wanted another player that’s fine, so did I. Am I mad at myself? No

I have a right to contest your opinion and I apologized if you thought it was a personal attack. Not intended at all.

I fully appreciate you wanting a different player, but we did have like 30% of the posters in here that chose Lukas Van Ness. Why was that? Did they all think we didn’t need a TE? No
Stop fretting and relax. It’s not like we chose a 2nd Round RB at #9 overall. :coffee:

We’ve got 3 good players about to come aboard in the next 47 selections or so. You’ll likely see someone you admire just be patient. There’s 16 WR/TE rated inside #100 overall that are still available. If you recall the Watson pick was a better choice than several top flight WR in the top 18 and he was 16 selections behind Treylon Burks. Who won there?? The Packers that’s who
I did really like the Watson pick, and the lackluster run defense was probably more JB's fault. Either way, I definitely am looking forward to the rest of the draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true. So Amish who do you like in rounds 2and 3? I’m hoping for Musgrave and Mingo round 2.
There is a separate thread for this - but I am going with Musgrave and Hyatt. Mingo is morr likely the pick, but want the Packers to try something different.

Actually prefer Washington but scared of medical issue.

Reaction score
:whistling:Yup. I was raised as a catholic boy, with lots of Sunday school. Lots of people mistake the "....and he rested on the 7th day" as meaning Sunday. However, that 7th day was actually Saturday.
Today that 7th day is whatever regular day we give to the Lord
I’m very fortunate I live in the Bible Belt. Many businesses refuse to open on Sunday, some refuse Saturday. In the Auto industry here, the Dealer’s must close 1 Day per week (Sat/Sun) take your choice. That’s State Law
In 1 town nearby? If you open on Memorial Day? the town will boycott you and do business elsewhere. They apparently lost quite a few HS aged kids in Normandy and Vietnam and various Wars etc., They are still very Pro American around here which is a pleasant surprise nowadays. Hmmm. Lukas Van Ness.. I wonder what his Heritage is? :laugh:

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Barring a trade up, Mayer will be qgone. I don’t like Washington, good blocker not a receiver. So hoping for Musgrave. And ideally Mingo at WR. That’s a solid round 2.
I like Washington. He would be my preferred next pick in the draft. I also really like Mingo. I'm skeptical they will take a WR in the 2nd round.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today that 7th day is whatever regular day we give to the Lord
I’m very fortunate I live in the Bible Belt. Many businesses refuse to open on Sunday, some refuse Saturday. In the Auto industry here, the Dealer’s must close 1 Day per week (Sat/Sun) take your choice. That’s State Law
In 1 town nearby? If you open on Memorial Day? the town will boycott you and do business elsewhere. They apparently lost quite a few HS aged kids in Normandy and Vietnam and various Wars etc., They are still very Pro American around here which is a pleasant surprise nowadays. Hmmm. Lukas Van Ness.. I wonder what his Heritage is? :laugh:
Agnostic

Reaction score
What medical issues? I must have missed something.
I was going to ask the same thing.

Washington had a more minor injury (ankle sprain) 3+ months ago. But he killed it at the combine recently. I haven’t seen anyone talking about a recent injury.

Kincaid had some reoccurring back issues I remember that. That was a minor concern at one point. I think he’s good to go. I think both looked healthy just recently.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same thing.

Washington had a more minor injury (ankle sprain) 3+ months ago. But he killed it at the combine recently. I haven’t seen anyone talking about a recent injury.

Kincaid had some reoccurring back issues I remember that. That was a minor concern at one point. I think he’s good to go. I think both looked healthy just recently.
I thought they said last night that that was why Mayer dropped.

Members online

Latest posts