2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay someone much better at Cap discussions correct or help here....I'm still struggling to see how we're going to get under the cap and retain what all we want to + afford the draft (trading back to shave some cap LOL?)

Presently, prior to Rodgers deal structure known...it looks like the Packers are approximately $45M over the cap...

Zadarius getting cut is the only surefire NO BRAINER - saves us $15,281,250

$45M - Z cut = $29.7M

Rodgers from what many of you are telling us, cannot save us more than around $20M due to prorated bonus from previous deal hitting or something like that correct?

Let's assume yes, $29.7M - $19M (conservative savings for Rodgers) = $10.7M

Before we can even get under the cap we need to save $10.7M

Extending Jaire is estimated to lower the cap hit around an addition $5-$8M depending on bonus and proration (void years could lower)

Let's use the lowest conservative figure shaving his hit around $5M...$10.7M - $5M = $5.7M

At this point some extensions, restructures, cuts on some guys have to be done:

Preston Smith is one with a hit of $19.72M that could free up the most. Some argue cut, I say extend personally, could lower his hit and save as much as $7M I've seen reports say...

Let's say extend and save $7M... $5.7M - 7M =$1.3M

We are finally good to cap...but that isn't even enough to resign Lazard if we place the lowest RFA tender...or sign the draft class.

Amos restructure would save around $4.7M
Crosby cut would save around $2.395M
Cutting Cobb saves around $6.8M
Restructuring Lowry could save around $3M

Those four moves net us about $16.895M and would put us capable of bringing back our ERFA in Henry Black, Yosh, Krys Barnes all cheap + Lazard tender + draft class.

What it doesn't do is allow much activity in FA or attempting to bring back any of our UFAs

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay someone much better at Cap discussions correct or help here....I'm still struggling to see how we're going to get under the cap and retain what all we want to + afford the draft (trading back to shave some cap LOL?)

Presently, prior to Rodgers deal structure known...it looks like the Packers are approximately $45M over the cap...

$45M - Z cut = $29.7M

Rodgers from what many of you are telling us, cannot save us more than around $20M due to prorated bonus from previous deal hitting or something like that correct?

Extending Jaire is estimated to lower the cap hit around an addition $5-$8M depending on bonus and proration (void years could lower)

Let's use the lowest conservative figure shaving his hit around $5M...$10.7M - $5M = $5.7M

Preston Smith is one with a hit of $19.72M that could free up the most. Some argue cut, I say extend personally, could lower his hit and save as much as $7M I've seen reports say...

We are finally good to cap...but that isn't even enough to resign Lazard if we place the lowest RFA tender...or sign the draft class.

Those four moves net us about $16.895M and would put us capable of bringing back our ERFA in Henry Black, Yosh, Krys Barnes all cheap + Lazard tender + draft class.

What it doesn't do is allow much activity in FA or attempting to bring back any of our UFAs
Lots of good work there my friend. Thanks for putting it together. It's interesting how the blue print of extensions and cuts can work to reduce the cap.

It's going to take a lot of work in the Packers front office to get them under, and competitive, with enough room to get free agents to fill needs when injuries occur, and rest assured, they will. It's all part of Murphy's Law.

Reaction score
I’m no expert but the Rodgers contract is obviously the one that gives us the most flexibility.
Concerning Rodgers they will likely amortize his signing bonus over 4 years one would think that would allow us more than $20mil reduction in him alone. But they may need a restructure Vs. extension to play the shell game

I’m not sure about previous prorations but one would think they can get $30+ from Rodgers current cap (presumed) by loading him up with cash upfront and bonus amortizing. That’s probably why he wants such a high guarantee he doesn’t want to get an extreme version of ZaDarius Smith treatment in a year or 2. That guaranteed keeps him intact 3 seasons from what I can tell due to it overlapping his massive guaranteed. I see a paying him for 4 and playing him for 3. Although some don’t think he wants to play that long, which I find hard to believe. His boys Brady and Favre just set the career length standards and he’s obviously got plenty of juice left. Maybe him n Shailene would rather trade Super Bowls for Super Baby’s idk

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams on tag = $20.1mil. Long term extension should drop that number by $8-$10mil depending on amount & structure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m no expert but the Rodgers contract is obviously the one that gives us the most flexibility.
Concerning Rodgers they will likely amortize his signing bonus over 4 years one would think that would allow us more than $20mil reduction in him alone. But they may need a restructure Vs. extension to play the shell game

I’m not sure about previous prorations but one would think they can get $30+ from Rodgers current cap by loading him up with cash upfront and amortizing. That’s probably why he wants such a high guarantee he doesn’t want to get an extreme version of ZaDarius Smith treatment in a year or 2. That guaranteed keeps him intact 3 seasons

IF previous prorations can be zeroed or changed than that opens up a LOT more possibly on Rodgers extension and if you did one with Prestong too

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IF previous prorations can be zeroed or changed than that opens up a LOT more possibly on Rodgers extension and if you did one with Prestong too
I could be wrong, but if Preston agrees to a "tear up the old and start over", the Packers would still have $7.25 M of dead cap from his signing bonus. He is due a roster bonus of $3M on 3/18.

An outright cut of Preston (before the 18th) will save the team $12.47M

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but if Preston agrees to a "tear up the old and start over", the Packers would still have $7.25 M of dead cap from his signing bonus. He is due a roster bonus of $3M on 3/18.

An outright cut of Preston (before the 18th) will save the team $12.47M
didn't they do something similar with AJ Hawk. cut and then re-signed? I guess they could do something like that but the player really has to want to stay here. Preston would get paid again.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
didn't they do something similar with AJ Hawk. cut and then re-signed? I guess they could do something like that but the player really has to want to stay here. Preston would get paid again.

Yup.

On March 2, 2011, the Packers released Hawk as he was due $10 million for the 2011 season. The next day they signed him to a new five-year, $33.75 million contract that included $9.50 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $8 million.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup.

On March 2, 2011, the Packers released Hawk as he was due $10 million for the 2011 season. The next day they signed him to a new five-year, $33.75 million contract that included $9.50 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $8 million.

Honestly that is a hoop they could jump through on Amos and Preston as a cap aerobics

D

Deleted member 6794

$45M - Z cut = $29.7M

According to Over The Cap the Packers are currently $45.844 million over the cap.

I'm convinced the Packers will convert Rodgers' base salary in 2022 in a signing bonus with the cap hit spread out over five seasons, resulting in cap savings of $20.280 million for next season. In addition it seems like a done deal they will release Z, saving $15.281 million. The next no-brainer is to extend Alexander's contract by converting his fifth-year option salary into a signing bonus and spread it out over the next five seasons as well, saving another $9.8 million of cap space.

Those moves result in the team being $475K over the cap. They will need to make some additional moves to create more cap space to re-sign players, add the draft class and so on but it's possible to hold on to most players if they want to.

I’m not sure about previous prorations but one would think they can get $30+ from Rodgers current cap (presumed) by loading him up with cash upfront and bonus amortizing.

There's nothing the Packers can do about the prorated portion of Rodgers' contracts currently counting against their cap. That hit of $19.173 million will remain no matter what they agree on moving forward.

I don't see any reason to release Preston to re-sign him afterwards. They could approach him about taking a pay cut in that case as well.

Honestly that is a hoop they could jump through on Amos and Preston as a cap aerobics

It doesn't make sense to release Amos to bring him back afterwards as the move would result in an additional $3.246 million of dead money counting against their cap.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting they cut any of them and re-sign them, just remembered they had done something like that with AJ Hawk.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn't suggesting they cut any of them and re-sign them, just remembered they had done something like that with AJ Hawk.

That was before the new CBA was signed though. At this point I don't think a move like that makes any sense.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers must be under the cap by 4 p.m. ET Wednesday, when the 2022 league year begins. This is post extension of P. Smith and release of Z. Smith.

1) Release Mason Crosby

2) Release Randall Cobb

3) Release Dean Lowery

4) Release Adrian Amos

5) Trade Jordan Love (Gather assets)

6) Restructure Aaron Rodgers for a significant lower cap figure (i.e. 25-27M/yr)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

7) Re-sign Davante Adams (ex. 4/year $100M, 75M guaranteed)

8) Allocate draft assets for WR, LT, OLB, ILB, CB, K

*WR-Jameson Williams (Alabama)
*LT- Trevor Penning (Northern Iowa)
*OLB-Boye Mafe (Minnesota)
*ILB-Amare Barno (Virginia Tech)
*CB-Josh Jobe (Alabama)
*K- Chandler Staton (Appalachian State)

9) Sign a cheap steady veteran QB (i.e. AJ McCarron, Trevor Semien, Geno Smith, Joshua Dobbs)

10) Secondary free agent market for veterans (i.e. Box Safety like Keanu Neal)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers must be under the cap by 4 p.m. ET Wednesday, when the 2022 league year begins. This is post extension of P. Smith and release of Z. Smith.

1) Release Mason Crosby

2) Release Randall Cobb

3) Release Dean Lowery

4) Release Adrian Amos

6) Restructure Aaron Rodgers for a significant lower cap figure (i.e. 25-27M/yr)

*CB-Josh Jobe (Alabama)

9) Sign a cheap steady veteran QB (i.e. AJ McCarron, Trevor Semien, Geno Smith, Joshua Dobbs)

Problem is, #6 and #7 are somewhat out of their hands, as well as being the 2 largest variables in the Cap equation.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers must be under the cap by 4 p.m. ET Wednesday, when the 2022 league year begins.

1) Release Mason Crosby

2) Release Randall Cobb

3) Release Dean Lowery

4) Release Adrian Amos

*CB-Josh Jobe (Alabama)

Here you had done so well....and then post this, struggling with few parts of this outlined below:

Okay, first you are releasing Amos - one of our only two starting caliber Safeties with the other one coming off a down year for him and you don't believe safety is a need in the draft? I'd see it as a first or second pick type need logically.

Barno is not an ILB and hasn't been for two years. I do like him as a prospect but he is not going to be ILB at the next level - it isn't where he excels playing from and is why they moved him.

We brought in last year touted kicker Eberle, have Molson on roster - I don't think it would be wise at this point to waste a pick on a kicker...I'd be more apt to do so with a punter as Bojo isn't signed and until he is that is a need as well.

I would be blown away if somehow someway one could walk away from a draft this year with a top 3 WR (Wiliams) a top 5 OT (Penning) and a top 10 EDGE guy....three predicted first rounders by many (Boye is the one 1st/2nd guy) in one draft would be incredible - even if Williams cannot play for a long time due to his injury.

Our DL gets incredibly weaker here too...we lost Keke, Lancaster is most likely not coming back...now lose Lowry who did very well last year. That'd be tough to overcome.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here you had done so well....and then post this, struggling with few parts of this outlined below:

Okay, first you are releasing Amos - one of our only two starting caliber Safeties with the other one coming off a down year for him and you don't believe safety is a need in the draft? I'd see it as a first or second pick type need logically.

Barno is not an ILB and hasn't been for two years. I do like him as a prospect but he is not going to be ILB at the next level - it isn't where he excels playing from and is why they moved him.

We brought in last year touted kicker Eberle, have Molson on roster - I don't think it would be wise at this point to waste a pick on a kicker...I'd be more apt to do so with a punter as Bojo isn't signed and until he is that is a need as well.

I would be blown away if somehow someway one could walk away from a draft this year with a top 3 WR (Wiliams) a top 5 OT (Penning) and a top 10 EDGE guy....three predicted first rounders by many (Boye is the one 1st/2nd guy) in one draft would be incredible - even if Williams cannot play for a long time due to his injury.

Our DL gets incredibly weaker here too...we lost Keke, Lancaster is most likely not coming back...now lose Lowry who did very well last year. That'd be tough to overcome.

I'm sorry. I never cared for anyone's approval. Why not? I mostly do things for fits and giggles. Why so serious?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Amazing how the legal tampering period just started and within hours, there are reports of Free Agents wrapped up. Nahhhh...no tampering has been done, prior to today! :rolleyes:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is, #6 and #7 are somewhat out of their hands, as well as being the 2 largest variables in the Cap equation.

I agree, concur, and admit you are right. Huge variables.

However, if it did happen, wouldn't that be great?

Wouldn't that be a great synergy between Rodgers and Green Bay?

Hasn't it worked out for Tom Brady?

Tom Brady just returned. Another obstacle both on and off the field.

Brady will start recruiting.

He offers championship pedigree, nice weather, and a weak division.

He also sacrifices money to help construct a better roster.

Its a method that has won Super Bowls.

It may be prudent for Rodgers to consider that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry. I never cared for anyone's approval. Why not? I mostly do things for fits and giggles. Why so serious?

Why present items to a discussion forum if you don't desire discussion?

Instead of dismissing let's discuss responses to the posed concerns....valid, invalid...counter thoughts which explain or even could defend any of the actions and result in my acknowledging or even changing thought on things. It's literally the reason forums exist: discussion.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I'm curious of is if anyone can explain why wouldn't Green Bay have designated Z as a Post-June 1st cut? Is that something which timing wise isn't right to do this early? Does the person have to hit the league year on the roster and then have that done? @captainWIMM you were first one to come to mind for explanation?

My simple way of understanding is a team is allowed two "post June 1" designations a year...is there a reason a team wouldn't want to use it?

Or like this in an article makes me wonder:

"Releasing Smith clears $15 million in cap space for the Packers. Turner’s departure clears over $3.3 million if it’s processed now or more than $6 million if he’s a post-June 1 cut."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I'm curious of is if anyone can explain why wouldn't Green Bay have designated Z as a Post-June 1st cut? Is that something which timing wise isn't right to do this early? Does the person have to hit the league year on the roster and then have that done? @captainWIMM you were first one to come to mind for explanation?

My simple way of understanding is a team is allowed two "post June 1" designations a year...is there a reason a team wouldn't want to use it?
Maybe they are waiting to use one on Rodgers. ;)

This article explains it pretty well.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why present items to a discussion forum if you don't desire discussion?

Instead of dismissing let's discuss responses to the posed concerns....valid, invalid...counter thoughts which explain or even could defend any of the actions and result in my acknowledging or even changing thought on things. It's literally the reason forums exist: discussion.
I love this forum. I don't shy away from any discussion. Never said/wrote that. I just don't share my thoughts actively looking for likes or approval. I'm am a Green Bay Packers fan.
But I'm also reasonably objective as well. I have opinions on their moves as a organization and I like to share them.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this forum. I don't shy away from any discussion. Never said/wrote that. I just don't share my thoughts actively looking for likes or approval. I'm am a Green Bay Packers fan.
But I'm also reasonably objective as well. I have opinions on their moves as a organization and I like to share them.

Which I respect...so let's discuss thought process behind what you presented is all.

D

Deleted member 6794

1) Release Mason Crosby

2) Release Randall Cobb

3) Release Dean Lowery

4) Release Adrian Amos

*CB-Josh Jobe (Alabama)

The Packers are currently $21.872 million over the cap. They will save most of that by extending Rodgers' contract before Wednesday's deadline.

He also sacrifices money to help construct a better roster.

I wonder if fans will ever stop believing that myth.

The Packers wouldn't have saved any cap space until June by designating Za'Darius as post-June 1st cut.

Members online

Latest posts