2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My scenario I posted is without absolutely mortgaging the 2023 and 2024 year to nearly destroy the team the likes we’ve never seen in the NFL
There is no doubt in my mind that the Packers can creatively work out a deal for both Rodgers and Adams, but how does that set them up for the other players they will need to decide on?

I can't pretend to predict what Russ Ball and the Packers will do, but I would love a peak at all of his scenarios on spread sheets.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, in my defense, I had a death in my family (my grandfather), I lost my job (although I did get a new and better one), my dad fell and broke his hip, and I had to move back home to take care of him, and my brother spent 2 months in the hospital(the last two things as well as starting the new job happening during the course of the regular season), so it has been quite a year for me personally.

This is why I haven't posted much this year except when Aaron was disgruntled during the offseason (and there also wasn't much going on with me during that particular time).
Welcome back and sorry to hear about all of your family issues.

I wasn't trying to point out you or even a singular poster, but the regulars in this forum will tell you that a Packer win doesn't stir up the pot of fringe posters, nearly as much as a Packer loss.

Kind of a statement of things around the world today. Most are quiet, until they want to bitch about something.

Reaction score
Welcome back and sorry to hear about all of your family issues.

I wasn't trying to point out you or even a singular poster, but the regulars in this forum will tell you that a Packer win doesn't stir up the pot of fringe posters, nearly as much as a Packer loss.

Kind of a statement of things around the world today. Most are quiet, until they want to bitch about something.
Thanks. My family's situation is getting better. I didn't think you were singling me out. I do agree that losses stir up fringe posters on sports message boards, I have seen it on the fan site of my college team.

I will say that I actually sometimes do find the types of discussion in the offseason more interesting, such as player/coaching moves, and predicting the season, but some posters definitely like to show up after a loss.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I know these two sites at the bottom of this post have been listed numerous time but it is apparent some people missed the memo. Overthecap is IMO easier to use and you only need the final three columns to understand the basic impact of cutting/trading a player. This should keep someone from being immediately flamed.

If the Dead money (2nd column) is less than the cap number it is a cap savings (third column).
If the Dead money (2nd column) is more than the cap number it cap debit (cost more against the cap to trade than to keep).

This is for the three highest paid (cap number) on the Packers 2022 roster. Top to bottom -Aaron Rodgers, Za'darius Smith, David Bakhtiari. Rodgers and Smith can be cut or traded prior to June 1 with a cap saving and Bahktiari cannot. Bahktiari could be traded after June 1 with a savings but would likely be for draft 2023 picks and would do nothing to alleviate the cap problem before June 1. The Packers would also owe the remaining portion of guaranteed money in 2023.

(Pre-June 1):
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This covers it well, of course, and may have been referenced by others.

Near the end:

If they can get creative with Rodgers , cut Cobb, and do whatever they need to with the two pass rushers they would only be very close to being cap compliant if they extend Adams and need about $15 million more in space if they simply tag him. The team would then move into the territory of contract restructures. They could open up around $9 million in cap space with David Bakhtiari, $9.8 million with Jaire Alexander, and $10.9 million with Kenny Clark. That would give them the space needed to function in the offseason while sorting everything out. If they cant come up with a creative solution for Rodgers $46 million cap number then they would have no choice but to do all these things plus probably tinker with a few other smaller contracts until they sorted out a trade.

....If they are still very bullish on Love it is more about dealing with the short term cap impacts of Rodgers contract and then seeing if they can move further in the playoffs. If they are no longer bullish on Love it should be an offseason designed to find the draft capital needed to select a QB in the 2023 draft and making certain they do not do anything that sucks the life out of their salary cap in 2023 and especially 2024.

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know these two sites at the bottom of this post have been listed numerous time but it is apparent some people missed the memo. Overthecap is IMO easier to use and you only need the final three columns to understand the basic impact of cutting/trading a player. This should keep someone from being immediately flamed.

If the Dead money (2nd column) is less than the cap number it is a cap savings (third column).
If the Dead money (2nd column) is more than the cap number it cap debit (cost more against the cap to trade than to keep).

This is for the three highest paid (cap number) on the Packers 2022 roster. Top to bottom -Aaron Rodgers, Za'darius Smith, David Bakhtiari. Rodgers and Smith can be cut or traded prior to June 1 with a cap saving and Bahktiari cannot. Bahktiari could be traded after June 1 with a savings but would likely be for draft 2023 picks and would do nothing to alleviate the cap problem before June 1. The Packers would also owe the remaining portion of guaranteed money in 2023.

(Pre-June 1):

Thanks for the clarification re Bakh and how he indeed could be traded. Whether or not there is an accepting team, or if this would make sense/keep 12 happy - if we are trying to keep him - is a different set of important questions

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone yet notice that all the road team lower seeds are pulling off upsets?
I picked all road teams to win this weekend, except the Packers game. I think the Rams are the best team in the NFC and Bills and Bengals the best in the AFC. Much like the 49'ers, the Rams have been improving each game and with the additions of both Von Miller and OBJ, they are the #1 team in the NFL.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked all road teams to win this weekend, except the Packers game. I think the Rams are the best team in the NFC and Bills and Bengals the best in the AFC. Much like the 49'ers, the Rams have been improving each game and with the additions of both Von Miller and OBJ, they are the #1 team in the NFL.
and they signed that DB who has been retired Obama first took office. Added him to their collection they did.

D

Deleted member 6794

And if I am wrong about the *can be traded,* it would be diff from what I have read from otc, etc, etc,... so, welcome clarity with specificity, Thanks!

It doesn't make any sense for the Packers to trade Bakhtiari as it would either result in an additional cap hit for the 2022 season or they would have to pay him his roster bonus of $9.5 million which is due on March 20. Therefore it wouldn't make any sense to wait after June 1st to trade him either.

Thanks for sharing the reference - is that/does the person have a Twitter handle? I have followed @KenIngalls mostly... pretty good at this, as well.

No, I don't have a Twitter handle I use to post information like that. You need to come here to benefit from my wisdom :roflmao:

(Pre-June 1):

As soon as the Packers trade Bakhtiari they aren't on the hook for any guaranteed money which will be paid after that point. They would take a massive amount of dead money counting against their cap at some point though.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not likely another GM is going to trade much for Bahktiari. He's either damaged goods or somebody who signed a massive contract. got fat, out of shape, and is now injury prone. Best bet is to cut their loses with him even if that means dead money. He was already dead money all year in 2021.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Rodgers
Cut Turner, Cobb, Lowry, Crosby

Approximately $12M on the good side of the cap.

Work out extension with Jaire - Save say $8M or so

$20M on the good side of the cap.

*Extend Preston a year shave just a bit more say $1M-$2M

$22M + Draft Equity from Rodgers Trade

I truly think this is where we are heading.

*Amos could also be extended if we could work something out to lower his $11.9M hit a touch.

That defense could see Campbell or Douglas brought back...and maybe a mid-level WR or resigning of MVS with that.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
- The era is over and we push forward to find out in 2022 Love is the guy and stripping the team of most high cost veterans for a hopefully quick reset. Fear here is does this stall Jaire in being willing to extend? Does this make us have to truly clean the shelves if you will.
I think at this point in his career. Looking at his first huge contract, Alexander stays and takes advantage of probably being the highest paid CB in the league.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apologies but you gotta know contracts before discussing trades. I was wrong and was discussed earlier in thread Bakh is not moveable till after 2022, same as Jones.

Extending Rashan now would not make sense as he is still VERY cheap on rookie deal.

King was about as solid of a #3 as anyone could hope this year. He isn’t worth paying like an outside starter and will most likely be gone, but he was no knucklehead this year

You know I really forgot about King and his past blunders with the emergence of Rasul Douglas. This loss is absolutely soul crushing, because this team was loaded with great depth, and veterans that cared enough to return sooner than usual with their injuries. What a waste of a great defense and the complete collapse of an efficient offense. Notice I didn't mention the other phase of the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Trade Rodgers
Cut Turner, Cobb, Lowry, Crosby

Approximately $12M on the good side of the cap.

Work out extension with Jaire - Save say $8M or so

$20M on the good side of the cap.

*Extend Preston a year shave just a bit more say $1M-$2M

$22M + Draft Equity from Rodgers Trade

I truly think this is where we are heading.

*Amos could also be extended if we could work something out to lower his $11.9M hit a touch.

That defense could see Campbell or Douglas brought back...and maybe a mid-level WR or resigning of MVS with that.
While I like your ideas and appreciate your work, if I am Gute and Rodgers is traded, I'm pretty well cleaning house of high end vets that are only going to help in the next year or 2. I say that because the Packers won't be much of a team in 2022 with Love at QB. They might even decide to give up on Love and in 2023 use a high pick(s) on the next QB. Basically, there are going to be some lean years in Green Bay after Rodgers exits, might as well make moves with 2024 and beyond in mind.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I like your ideas and appreciate your work, if I am Gute and Rodgers is traded, I'm pretty well cleaning house of high end vets that are only going to help in the next year or 2. I say that because the Packers won't be much of a team in 2022 with Love at QB. They might even decide to give up on Love and in 2023 use a high pick(s) on the next QB. Basically, there are going to be some lean years in Green Bay after Rodgers exits, might as well make moves with 2024 and beyond in mind.

So who did I miss that you'd cut? I think the only person arguably that perhaps could garner a savings is Preston and Amos?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So who did I miss that you'd cut? I think the only person arguably that perhaps could garner a savings is Preston and Amos?
Amos and Preston would go for sure if its going to be a rebuild. Your 4 big contracts are still AJ and Bahk on offense. Alexander and Clark on D. You build around those. If I could get rid of Bahk and save money, I would, but that is a year or 2 out and right now, he probably is a big ? on his future anyway.

Gary is going to need to get paid in a few years. I think Gute is good at finding Free Agent help on the D side of the ball and he can work his magic there. Meanwhile, you build an offense around speed and draft picks that fit MLF's system.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amos and Preston would go for sure if its going to be a rebuild. Your 4 big contracts are still AJ and Bahk on offense. Alexander and Clark on D. You build around those. If I could get rid of Bahk and save money, I would, but that is a year or 2 out and right now, he probably is a big ? on his future anyway.

Gary is going to need to get paid in a few years. I think Gute is good at finding Free Agent help on the D side of the ball and he can work his magic there. Meanwhile, you build an offense around speed and draft picks that fit MLF's system.

An argument could be made that at the play level they've been playing at both would be tradeable possibly. If you trade Rodgers, draft equity will already be quite awesome...but that would be another way of handling those two as well rather than a clean cut. Most of the guys I mentioned as clean cuts I don't think are that tradeable...but it is possible.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts