2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get a new st coach who can count to 11.
Trade Bak if you can do so and still keep Aaron. Cap room is the key.
Resign/ extend Aaron Davante Rashan Jaire
Smiths you cut or on a one year prove it deal.
Let knuckleheads like King go.
Rest is window dressing but those are the primary moves.

Apologies but you gotta know contracts before discussing trades. I was wrong and was discussed earlier in thread Bakh is not moveable till after 2022, same as Jones.

Extending Rashan now would not make sense as he is still VERY cheap on rookie deal.

King was about as solid of a #3 as anyone could hope this year. He isn’t worth paying like an outside starter and will most likely be gone, but he was no knucklehead this year

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apologies but you gotta know contracts before discussing trades. I was wrong and was discussed earlier in thread Bakh is not moveable till after 2022, same as Jones.

Extending Rashan now would not make sense as he is still VERY cheap on rookie deal.

King was about as solid of a #3 as anyone could hope this year. He isn’t worth paying like an outside starter and will most likely be gone, but he was no knucklehead this year
Bak cannot be *cut* with savings for '22, but he *can* be traded and in doing so provide cap relief. If you want to reduce Rahan's 5.3MM cap hit, an extension makes sense. In the grand scheme of things, King or Watt? Nuff said.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bak cannot be *cut* with savings for '22, but he *can* be traded and in doing so provide cap relief. If you want to reduce Rahan's 5.3MM cap hit, an extension makes sense. In the grand scheme of things, King or Watt? Nuff said.

Nope given contract he isn’t moveable it @captainWIMM explained right - which he knows more about cap and contracts than most of the board. Hopefully he will chime in

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if I am wrong about the *can be traded,* it would be diff from what I have read from otc, etc, etc,... so, welcome clarity with specificity, Thanks!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trade Bak if you can do so and still keep Aaron. Cap room is the key.
Resign/ extend Aaron Davante Rashan Jaire
Smiths you cut or on a one year prove it deal.
Let knuckleheads like King go.
Rest is window dressing but those are the primary moves.
Explain how you trade Bak, when doing so creates an instant $39,304,000 cap hit.

Gary is under contract through next season and I believe they have or will take his 5th year option for 2023 if need be.

King is a Free agent.

Cutting both Smiths comes at a price too and doing so and then signing them both to a 1 year "prove it deal", won't prove to do much.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, King or Watt? Nuff said.

Stop with the judgement of King based on a draft decision years ago - all it does is ignore what actually has transpired and creates an illogical bias towards discussions.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if I am wrong about the *can be traded,* it would be diff from what I have read from otc, etc, etc,... so, welcome clarity with specificity, Thanks!

Yeah @captainWIMM will be able to explain or touch on for certain. He checks in once or twice a day. I don’t always get along best with him but wealth of knowledge is an understatement when it comes to rules, cap and such

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope given contract he isn’t moveable it @captainWIMM explained right - which he knows more about cap and contracts than most of the board. Hopefully he will chime in
Thanks for sharing the reference - is that/does the person have a Twitter handle? I have followed @KenIngalls mostly... pretty good at this, as well.

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop with the judgement of King based on a draft decision years ago - all it does is ignore what actually has transpired and creates an illogical bias towards discussions.
I can also review last year's NFC title game, and his injury-to-games played, and, well...

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next time - be careful about the 'ignorant' pejorative. We're all Packer fans, and this was based on other research, so..

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously I specifically spoke to this year alone, you know the one year contract deal he signed and played under
I am aware of the 1 year deal - and believe that the monies would have been better spent on other options in-season. Or ST (counting classes). Since you're not gonna be a GM, relax.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am aware of the 1 year deal - and believe that the monies would have been better spent on other options in-season. Or ST (counting classes). Since you're not gonna be a GM, relax.

I wasn’t a fan of the deal either, especially given voided money included in it. However, he was our second best graded CB this year behind Rasul that saw enough time to be eligible for grade ranking through PFF.

It will be interesting to see where he lands as I don’t think we will want to pay him more than a few M a year and I sense he may pull in about 4 or 5 a year with a team swinging for the good King and not the bad (he is a roller coaster each year except this one he was fairly solid).

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I would want to get rid of Jaire, but if you can trade him and get great value in the deal, it sure is better than not being able to resign him after next season.

I don't think it would sit well with Rodgers, but if the Packers find themselves not being able to resign Davante, a similar principle might apply. Tag him and trade him. Problem is, if you tag him, I think you have to clear the cap space first?
Trade Jaire? Pls...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This isn't Fantasy or Madden Football. You are pretending that all these things can be done and then throw in "King or Watt"? Come on man, is that the answer for anything wrong with the Packers? If we had Watt right now, how do you pay him, magic beans?

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn’t a fan of the deal either, especially given voided money included in it. However, he was our second best graded CB this year behind Rasul that saw enough time to be eligible for grade ranking through PFF.

It will be interesting to see where he lands as I don’t think we will want to pay him more than a few M a year and I sense he may pull in about 4 or 5 a year with a team swinging for the good King and not the bad (he is a roller coaster each year except this one he was fairly solid).
What would you do that allows us to keep #12 and #17? If you've posted already, welcome your pointing to it. Thanks

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't Fantasy or Madden Football. You are pretending that all these things can be done and then throw in "King or Watt"? Come on man, is that the answer for anything wrong with the Packers? If we had Watt right now, how do you pay him, magic beans?
If we had Watt we wouldn't have one or both of the Smiths... And many other decisions would be different. That said, if you are as smart as you imply, what are the moves you would do that allow us to keep 12 and 17? Thanks

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Jaire? Pls...

You’re ignoring the context of where you make this trade. If he doesn’t desire to be in GB in a possible year or two rebuild than you agree to part ways now allow a new team to extend him long term and easily get solid equity back in picks or players.

Jaire is a top 3 arguably CB, if you don’t think you can extend him than you absolutely want to get back more than a third compensatory pick (the most we could if he walks). Similar to what is most likely going to occur with Davante - kept him for a one year swing at the SB and now we will lose him for a 3rd in 2023.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What would you do that allows us to keep #12 and #17? If you've posted already, welcome your pointing to it. Thanks

So the only way that’s happening is some creative management of money and willingness to make a ton of cuts. Cuts most likely include Cobb, Turner, Lowry, Preston and Zadarius. Big dog as well possibly.

Also means you have to get Jaire off the books as current whether extension pushing cap hits later or trading him.

It also means being unable to resign MVS, Campbell, Rasul, Sully and King. Most likely have to also restructure Amos possibly.

The amount of roster stripping to make sure both Rodgers and Adams are here are immense because of cap restraints. Possible yes, but our defense will be stripped the most and we would need MASSIVE levels up in play from Slaton, Heflin, Rivers, Garvin, Tipae, SJC and even Ento.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
if you are as smart as you imply, what are the moves you would do that allow us to keep 12 and 17? Thanks
Show me where I said we SHOULD keep them both. Not to mention that Davante is no longer under contract.

As far as how to do it, quite easily actually, but again you are mortgaging the Packers future for the next 4-5 years. Davante gets his big deal and most of the money is shoved out into the future and his cap hit is very minimal in 2022.

Rodgers takes a restructure that adds both years and money to it and pushes it out into the future.

You can only do this so many times and with so many players. If you don't plan on keeping said player more than a year or 2, it is going to sting bad. Much like you are proposing to "trade a LT" that would strap the Packers with an immediate $40M dead cap hit. BTW.....what are you getting for a LT with that contract, hasn't played for over a year and just was scratched because his knee failed to hold up.?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Show me where I said we SHOULD keep them both. Not to mention that Davante is no longer under contract.

As far as how to do it, quite easily actually, but again you are mortgaging the Packers future for the next 4-5 years. Davante gets his big deal and most of the money is shoved out into the future and his cap hit is very minimal in 2022.

Rodgers takes a restructure that adds both years and money to it and pushes it out into the future.

You can only do this so many times and with so many players. If you don't plan on keeping said player more than a year or 2, it is going to sting bad. Much like you are proposing to "trade a LT" that would strap the Packers with an immediate $40M dead cap hit. BTW.....what are you getting for a LT with that contract, hasn't played for over a year and just was scratched because his knee failed to hold up.?

My scenario I posted is without absolutely mortgaging the 2023 and 2024 year to nearly destroy the team the likes we’ve never seen in the NFL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reaction score
Where are all these posters when the Packers are winning?
Well, in my defense, I had a death in my family (my grandfather), I lost my job (although I did get a new and better one), my dad fell and broke his hip, and I had to move back home to take care of him, and my brother spent 2 months in the hospital(the last two things as well as starting the new job happening during the course of the regular season), so it has been quite a year for me personally.

This is why I haven't posted much this year except when Aaron was disgruntled during the offseason (and there also wasn't much going on with me during that particular time).