2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

wallsthotshot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point you also have to take into consideration his shoulder. I don't expect it to be an ongoing issue, but I think many thought that about Kevin King and other players.

I think some people get the impression that I don't like certain players like Jaire or Bahk, when I brought up was giving him a huge contract smart. It isn't that I don't like them or that I don't recognize how good they are, I'm just saying its a lot of money and that makes it a huge decision that needs to be thought out clearly. In some cases you are talking about the salary of 4-10 players for one guy. As much as I want the Packers to continue being 13-4 every season, I know when Rodgers leaves, the likely hood of a big drop off is probably higher than some want to believe. Add to that the cap predicament, this rebuild isn't going to happen in 1 season.
Your comment is well taken. How bad is that shoulder? How broken is Bakh? My dream scenario and I’m dreaming big here is that Bakh and Jaire can recover. If Jaire needs surgery get it now. The wet dream scenario excuse me is to rebuild on the fly if we must, and with draft capital swing a trade for Huntley - no I don’t know why they’d trade him but I loved what I saw from him in one game than I did in two years from love. With our ol, running game and core d. Hitting on 1/3 of our draft picks and playing talent on st would make the difference? Don’t know. But if sf will be the toughest out with Brady gone… worth the shot.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all and it really depends on a lot of factors and would vary from team to team and situation to situation. As far as the Packers current situation, until Rodgers future is figured out, everything else is on hold. If Rodgers stays and reworks his contract for another 3-5 years, I would do all I can to go all in over that time and keep Jaire.

What I said previously, is if the Packers are going to trade Rodgers, I think you put a Non-exclusive franchise tag on Adams and see where that takes you. If you get 2 first round picks for Adams and some nice draft capital for Rodgers, you start taking your cap numbers down. At this point you are in full rebuild mode and if they got a great offer on Jaire, yes, I would consider trading him, depending on some of the other pieces and as long as we can sign Douglas to a reasonable deal.

If the Packers go into rebuild mode, I just don't see them being all that good for a few years. Jaire just sat out a good portion of the year with a shoulder injury, I would rather not make him one of the highest paid CB's and have his cap numbers hitting just when the team might be making progress and you need to find Free agents to fill holes.

I think if we lose Rodgers and Adams, this team is going to look very different in 2022.
The probability if Green Bay puts the non exclusive tag on Adams (in my opinion) is nobody offers him a contract for 2 #1’s When is the last time a team sent 2 #1’s ? For a wide reciever?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The probability if Green Bay puts the non exclusive tag on Adams (in my opinion) is nobody offers him a contract for 2 #1’s When is the last time a team sent 2 #1’s ? For a wide reciever?
When was the last time a player of Adams caliber was available?

Sending a 2022 and 2023 draft pick for a team that expects to finish at the top of the NFL, isn't as much as you think. I would actually be more concerned at his reported demand of being paid $30M/year.

This also would not be the first time that a team was willing to give up multiple first round picks for a non QB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one is giving two ones. None. Especially knowing the league can wait and GB gets just a third.

If I can nab two day twos I’m taking it for Adams IF I go the tag and trade risk route

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No one is giving two ones. None. Especially knowing the league can wait and GB gets just a third.

If I can nab two day twos I’m taking it for Adams IF I go the tag and trade risk route
I'm blaming @Pkrjones for messing with my head on the type of tag to use on Davante. :roflmao: While I don't think its completely out of the question that a team picking late in the first round might be willing to give up their 2022 and 2023 late first rounders, you are right. The Franchise tag, gives the Packers more ability to shop him (at the right price) and not let him shop himself. Also, I believe that if they get stuck keeping him on the tag, the price is based on current salaries and not adjust for what happens after free agency.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The tag is a way to retain Adams UNTIL a trade is done. If Philly or NYG or Cleveland want to give up (2) 1sts for he rights to Adams - great, done deal! If no team steps up at least there are conversations on what a team would be willing to part with. The tag is a 1 year deal at approximately $20Mil. Adams is saying he wants a long term deal averaging $30Mil/year. There's "pressure" on all sides to get a trade done with a suitable price OR he's "forced" to play '22 for "only" $20Mil.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The tag is a way to retain Adams UNTIL a trade is done. If Philly or NYG or Cleveland want to give up (2) 1sts for he rights to Adams - great, done deal! If no team steps up at least there are conversations on what a team would be willing to part with. The tag is a 1 year deal at approximately $20Mil. Adams is saying he wants a long term deal averaging $30Mil/year. There's "pressure" on all sides to get a trade done with a suitable price OR he's "forced" to play '22 for "only" $20Mil.
You know I have read through a few articles that try to explain all the tags, what I am still confused about is this. Do both tags allow the Packers to shop Davante for a trade? I was under the impression that only the Franchise Tag does.

Whatever tag they use, it better be one that allows them to negotiate with another team on a trade.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know I have read through a few articles that try to explain all the tags, what I am still confused about is this. Do both tags allow the Packers to shop Davante for a trade? I was under the impression that only the Franchise Tag does.

Whatever tag they use, it better be one that allows them to negotiate with another team on a trade.

@captainWIMM can you do what you do best and explain the tag concept and types

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@captainWIMM can you do what you do best and explain the tag concept and types
So this is one of the better articles I found on tags. First, what we are talking about fall under the general term "Franchise Tag". There are two types of franchise tags (that would apply here), exclusive and non-exclusive. Sounds like the main differences are price and the fact that non-exclusive gives the player the ability to shop himself to other teams and work out a deal that the Packers can match or get 2 first rounders.

The article doesn't directly say that the Packers can work out a trade deal under the non-exclusive, but it implies that they can with this: "For example, in 2019, five of the six players who received a franchise tag signed an extension. Four of those were with their original team. Another was traded prior to his extension." Problem is, they don't specify as to what tag that player had.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless GB intends to pay Adams $27+Mil/year they should non-exclusive franchise tag him. Let his agent do the leg-work & find a team willing to both pay him top$$ and pony-up (2) 1st rounders. If that doesn't happen then Adams loses some leverage and forces them to lower their demands in a long term GB deal. The $20mil needs to be accomodated in GB's cap by the start of the league year in March. There's still time to trade him prior to the draft. Any extension needs to happen by mid-July.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless GB intends to pay Adams $27+Mil/year they should non-exclusive franchise tag him. Let his agent do the leg-work & find a team willing to both pay him top$$ and pony-up (2) 1st rounders. If that doesn't happen then Adams loses some leverage and forces them to lower their demands in a long term GB deal. The $20mil needs to be accomodated in GB's cap by the start of the league year in March. There's still time to trade him prior to the draft. Any extension needs to happen by mid-July.

I believe I have more of a chance waking up with a six pack tomorrow than someone giving two first rounders for a WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe I have more of a chance waking up with a six pack tomorrow than someone giving two first rounders for a WR.
Look what the Seahawks gave up for Jamal Adams. They dealt away both their 2021 and 2022 first-round selections—along with a 2021 third-round pick and safety Bradley McDougald—to the Jets in exchange for Adams and a 2022 fourth-round.

The first draft pick ended up being a 10th rounder this year. The Jets have to be loving it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All it takes is one dumba$$ team to want Adams bad enough. Who would've ever thought $30mil/yr for a WR...but some team may very well do it (hoping Gute has the common sense not to do so)?

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently it’s been done before. Maybe there’s a chance but they have to clear up a TON of cap space in the next 40 days. Not sure what happens if they haven’t traded him by Mar 8 and we’re way over the cap but I’m sure it’s not good LOL I’m reading $80M for 3 years

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look what the Seahawks gave up for Jamal Adams. They dealt away both their 2021 and 2022 first-round selections—along with a 2021 third-round pick and safety Bradley McDougald—to the Jets in exchange for Adams and a 2022 fourth-round.

The first draft pick ended up being a 10th rounder this year. The Jets have to be loving it.

The QB of the defense. WRs are not that. I will never think it would happen, and if it does I’ll declare whomever it was ignorant to the highest degree ever.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All it takes is one dumba$$ team to want Adams bad enough. Who would've ever thought $30mil/yr for a WR...but some team may very well do it (hoping Gute has the common sense not to do so)?
I would be fine with a first round pick for Davante, from someone with a top 15 pick. I know that this is an obvious statement, but any picks in 2022 or 2023 that we get for Rodgers or Adams, will always vary in value. For instance, I would rather get the Jets first round pick this year (#4) VS The Bills first this year (#25) plus their first next year. Now if the Jags offered their first, even better. :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's 2 first rounders PLUS 30 million a year. I love Adams but he's 30. Before I'd give up 2 first rounders for a chance to pay him 30 million a year I'd keep the two first rounders and draft the best WR available to me each year or if I'm drafting late package them to move up and get the best one. I think the way some rookie WRs have been coming on the whole it takes 3 years thing is not so valid anymore.

The only way I'd wake up with a 6 pack is if I didn't finish the 12er the night before.

I'd rather have a shut down corner than Adams

Apparently it’s been done before. Maybe there’s a chance but they have to clear up a TON of cap space in the next 40 days. Not sure what happens if they haven’t traded him by Mar 8 and we’re way over the cap but I’m sure it’s not good LOL I’m reading $80M for 3 years
still too much. Might be just a ploy so the Packers don't come in at 20-22. If cap space wasn't a problem I'd say go to 25 but I wouldn't like it. the way the cap space is though even 25 is too much.

I'm not saying this because you are the one always advocating players grabbing what they can :D but at some point these guys have to realize how their demands effect the ability of the team to add complementary parts. Justin Jefferson had to be happier than a pig in **** when he heard this. He'll want 35 when his time comes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right but neither Adams are shutdown corners. One is a WR, the other is a safety.
I wasn't sure. Plus I was too lazy to look what position J Adams played. I think when I saw J Adams I was thinking J Ramsey . I'd still rather have a top DB than a top WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wasn't sure. Plus I was too lazy to look what position J Adams played. I think when I saw J Adams I was thinking J Ramsey . I'd still rather have a top DB than a top WR.
I still don't think it's out of the question that they get 2 1st round picks, especially if they are late round picks. Not much different than getting a mid first and 2nd.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Huber did an excellent job at fleshing out in writing an observation my buddy and I made about our future contracts we dealt out recently - the penny pinching has already started folks. Now this doesn't mean IMO we are doing any of these moves due to Rodgers coming back and/or Adams and massive fiscal decisions will be made - BUT it is a STRONG sign to everyone just how tight things are.

To summarize, when signing true street free agents at this time of year or your PS guys to future deals the pay scale goes something like this:

Zero accrued seasons $705,000 up to $825,000 for a first year player up to $895,000 for a second year up to $965,000 for year 3 and then $1.035 for year 4 - 6

It may not seem like much, but signing and fleshing out spots with the first two options as much as possible vs the last two - can save a team $1M-$2M depending on the number of players. Some of our most experienced PS players to end the season with have not to this point been re-signed to future deals...that includes 5th year David Moore who showed promise late as a returner, fourth year linbacker Kalambayi and DL McIntosh, nor third year guys Kaufusi (TE) and Malone (WR)....few two year guys not signed yet Abdullah Anderson, Ben Braden and Kerrith Whyte

Presently we have signed the following since season ended:

*Kurt Benkert - $825,000 x
*Danny Etling - $825,000 x
*Chris Blair - $705,000 x
*Michael Menet - $705,000 x
*Cole Van Lanen - $705,000 x
*Ladarius Hamilton - $705,000 x
*Ray Wilborn - $705,000 x
*Innis Gaines - $705,000 x
*Kabion Ento - $825,000 x
*Jack Heflin - $705,000 x
*Rico Gafford - $825,000 x
*Kiondre Thomas - $705,000 x
*JJ Molson - $705,000 x

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I shared this over on the semi-live roster update thread...but here is what happens when you push money into future years:
I updated OP for dead money and voided money hits....want to freak about voided money presently hitting future caps look at 2023:

Voided Hits: Total $41,081,200
Aaron Rodgers $33,173,568
Dean Lowry $1,866,000
Randall Cobb $1,391,666
Marcedes Lewis $1,050,000
Mason Crosby $1,005,000
Billy Turner $890,000
Kevin King $750,000
Robert Tonyan $469,800
Chandon Sullivan $242,600

De'Vondre Campbell $242,600

THIS IS THE **** PUSHING THE CAN DOES FOLKS.....AND SOME OF YOU ARE ADVOCATING FOR MORE OF THIS CRAP. HOW DO YOU LIKE PAYING FOR THE SERVICES OF KEVIN KING, TURNER, TONYAN, LEWIS, CAMPBELL, LOWRY, CROSBY STILL INTO 2023?

What if I told you those names don't stop in 2023, but are hitting our cap still in 2024 - for nearly $4M total....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
*Kurt Benkert - $825,000 x
*Danny Etling - $825,000 x
*Chris Blair - $705,000 x
*Michael Menet - $705,000 x
*Cole Van Lanen - $705,000 x
*Ladarius Hamilton - $705,000 x
*Ray Wilborn - $705,000 x
*Innis Gaines - $705,000 x
*Kabion Ento - $825,000 x
*Jack Heflin - $705,000 x
*Rico Gafford - $825,000 x
*Kiondre Thomas - $705,000 x
*JJ Molson - $705,000 x

Looks like a nice starting lineup for 2022 while we rebuild. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know how up to date this is, but it was put out 6 days ago, so it probably is close. For all those posters that want to see the cap situation for other teams, especially with our beloved Packers having the 2nd highest cap hit for 2022 at the moment.

This site is nice, if you don't want all the fluff.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like a nice starting lineup for 2022 while we rebuild. ;)
Honestly quite a few of these could be active game day guys....my most likely guys at this moment with so many unknowns:

Most likely: Jack Heflin - Lancaster leaving, Lowry's high salary and Keke cut - door flew open for a guy that saw some, but ultimately just threatened for a spot this year.
Likely: Michael Menet - Patrick contract up, Jenkins injured and the only other center Hanson never really showing promise and only active due to desperate need at center. I loved Menet out of college as a Day 3 prospect and could see him grab ahold of this role here.
Gotta Chance: Kabion Ento - He could end up being the Yosh of 2022...he has been a build in progress for years and with Sullivan/King/Douglas ALL without contracts in 2022 this could be the year Ento gets his chance and break.

Obviously guys like Ladarius Hamilton and cuts of Zadarius and what not make his door A LOT WIDER...OR Benkert with a Rodgers trade could see massive upgrades in chances. While we all realize Rico Gafford and Chris Blair have got to be salivating at the present rostered WRs in the building for their chance.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts