2022 NFL Draft Players I Like For The Packers

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assume more cuts as well, presently I’ll just concur overall but go slightly deeper that “starters we need to find” below. Now this is not just through draft just before next year.

RT - with Turner gone it is safe to assume that Yosh is going to be tendered and he could be the answer, could be a cheap Dennis Kelly type or a rookie.

Outside WR#2 - MVS is gone, Lazard could be the guy or could be a high draft pick or outside shot could be a FA acquisition. Adams is tagged so assuming WR1 is taken.

ILB #2 - assume this is Barnes but again needs tendered so not assuming. Campbell will be here so we need his base pairing.

Punter - Bojo isn’t signed. Not an advocate of drafting.

CB3 - could be SJC or Ento amazes us all with growth to do this but doubtful.
Agree with all Ty but I think the top priority is getting someone to play iDL with Clark.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more for now: Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan

Physical Profile:
Moore is not a "Packers type" in this regard. He's a hair under 5'10" (though a pretty thick 195#) and his RAS is a 6.86 (due mostly to poor agilities-- more on that in a second). But he does have some legit juice that shows up in testing. His 4.41 forty is obviously plenty fast enough, but his burst is elite. His official 10 yard split is 1.46, but a scout told Dane Brugler that he hand-timed it at 1.38. As far as the agilities go, there has been a weird trend in recent years, with fewer and fewer receivers doing those drills or performing poorly in them year over year. For instance, Jerry Jeudy, who is extremely agile and an excellent route runner, was in the 3rd % among receivers in the short shuttle. So something fishy is going on there and I'm not putting much weight in those outcomes. One other note here-- despite being a smaller guy, Moore's hands are huge (10.25").

Production: As you'd want to see in a player from the MAC, Moore was dominant. 96/1293/10 in 12 games in 2021, 25/388/3 in 5 games in 2020, 51/802/3 in 13 games in 2019. This last season, his share of the production was crazy: 41% of the completions, 40% of the yardage, 43% of the touchdowns. The next highest numbers on the team after him were 46, 768, and 6 respectively. He is currently only 21 and broke out at age 18. Zierlein has noted that he has really good ball size (remember the hand size), and PFF credited him with an FBS leading 26 broken tackles last year (remember the size relative to height).

Media Opinion: The PFF crowd is certainly highest on him, ranking him 33rd overall and 6th among wide receivers. He is outside of Jeremiah's top 50. He's Zierlein's 10th WR.

Packer Projection: If they keep Cobb, already having Amari Rodgers, I doubt they would see Moore as a great fit. But I believe Moore could play inside and outside, as the slot, Z, or X. He's undersized to play on the LOS, but he's so explosive that I don't see press coverage being a big problem for him. In the offense, I would see him growing into a role as a chain mover and YAC weapon.
I think I'd draft him just because of his name. He sounds like a WR! On the serious side, he's too small for what GB likes in a WR. I hope they let Cobb go, Amari Rodgers as well, and then there would be room for him as a slot receiver and kick returner. Cobb might be let go. I imagine they'll give Rodgers one more year, but I don't expect anything more than what we saw last year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State

Physical Profile:
Watson is a physical stud. He's just a shade over 6'4", came in at 208# at the combine, he's got fairly long arms, big hands, and he's super fast. Officially, his ran a 4.36 forty with a 1.46 10 yard. His jumps were also superb (38.5" vertical; 136" board). He did not do the agility drills.

Production: In 2021, Watson had 43/801/7 in 12 games; in 2020 (spring season) he had 19/442/1 in 10 games; in 2019 he had 34/732/6. It's important to realize that NDSU is a low volume passing attack by definition. His YPR in those three seasons was over 20 and he was the team's leading receiver in all three seasons. Drops have been an issue for him at times.

Media Opinion: He's #74 on PFF's big board and the 11th WR overall. He's unrated by Jeremiah. He's #9 among receivers for Zierlein.

Packer Projection: Watson is an ideal fit in a couple of different ways. With MVS expected to move on, Watson could immediately replace that role in the offense as a field stretching deep threat. He's got excellent long speed, and doesn't need a lot of strides to build up. But additionally, Watson is a nasty blocker who has had to play in the mess with a lot of condensed formations for NDSU. Not very many people are familiar with the Bison, but let me tell you-- if you're not physical, you don't play for them. I would consider Watson to be the perfect MVS replacement and a guy who fits hand in glove with LaFleur's offensive philosophy.

Christian and Jalen Tolbert both are small school guys that flat out produced and then when given chance at senior bowl against stiffer comp produced…went to the combine and produced.

First round is too early arguably for Christian, BUT he will not last till our second round pick. So it’s pick him first round or it is a trade back and pounce back up or a trade up move in early second - he is good! Tolbert should be there in second, IMO shouldn’t see Day 3 but May.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know me and the thread I specifically rank my greatest needs DL help is 1
Yeah it would be nice to have two studs on the DL. Put pressure up the middle and from the LBs. Nice that Campbell will be back. Secondary is sound, maybe some room for improvement in the S group. All in all, it's a good D with a few key needs. Depth would be nice too to insure against injury. Those can be later draft picks.

I don't know about you, but I was surprised by the Turner cut. He wasn't a huge cap hit and played well. Very strange.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it would be nice to have two studs on the DL. Put pressure up the middle and from the LBs. Nice that Campbell will be back. Secondary is sound, maybe some room for improvement in the S group. All in all, it's a good D with a few key needs. Depth would be nice too to insure against injury. Those can be later draft picks.

I don't know about you, but I was surprised by the Turner cut. He wasn't a huge cap hit and played well. Very strange.

I partially think it might have come down either Turner or Lowry for savings needing cut/released and DL is more depleted obviously with no clear heir apparent - where as with Turner at least we have Yosh there. GB has excelled for the most part finding a gem or two on Day 3 for OL help and I think regardless of how first days go, that third day is highly likely to include a OL guy as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I partially think it might have come down either Turner or Lowry for savings needing cut/released and DL is more depleted obviously with no clear heir apparent - where as with Turner at least we have Yosh there. GB has excelled for the most part finding a gem or two on Day 3 for OL help and I think regardless of how first days go, that third day is highly likely to include a OL guy as well.
Thanks Ty, that makes sense. And yeah, GB has always had a knack for finding and coaching up OL prospects. I think Bakh was a 4th round pick, Linsley a fifth round pick. Bot All Pros. So if I trust the FO to find good players, I don't worry about the OL. Funny because for soooo many years they were terrible at CB. Those were mostly TT years and has now been fixed. But I'll stand up GB's OL coaches with anyone in the NFL.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christian Watson is a guy I hope the Packers target in the 2nd round ran 1.46 10 yard split at 6-4...4.36 40 perfect replacement for MVS only this dudes got the tools to be way more than just a deep threat early

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christian Watson is a guy I hope the Packers target in the 2nd round ran 1.46 10 yard split at 6-4...4.36 40 perfect replacement for MVS only this dudes got the tools to be way more than just a deep threat early
A 1.46 10 yard split is close to impossible. I don't think Tyreek Hill ran that fast at the combine. If they can get him in the 2nd round, sounds like a great pick up.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 1.46 10 yard split is close to impossible. I don't think Tyreek Hill ran that fast at the combine. If they can get him in the 2nd round, sounds like a great pick up.

Just heard an interview with him...and look above at dantes comment about him, he heard the same number somewhere

Ok maybe we gotta take hi in 1st round

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard an interview with him...and look above at dantes comment about him, he heard the same number somewhere

Ok maybe we gotta take hi in 1st round
I don't know that they have to reach for a guy just on speed. I was hoping they'd get Olave or London or both in round 1.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that they have to reach for a guy just on speed. I was hoping they'd get Olave or London or both in round 1.

Id cool with olave although i kinda like jameson williams more at this point. I like the other alabama guy too john metchie II.

Im not sold on London especially for the Packers as it seems to me Lazard has a similar skill set

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id cool with olave although i kinda like jameson williams more at this point. I like the other alabama guy too john metchie II.

Im not sold on London especially for the Packers as it seems to me Lazard has a similar skill set

Neither of the Bama boys I suspect will be the first WR we draft no matter what due to their ACL issues out the gate and time is not our friend...I love picking up Metchie late second if we can though for a future (second half of season at best).

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither of the Bama boys I suspect will be the first WR we draft no matter what due to their ACL issues out the gate and time is not our friend...I love picking up Metchie late second if we can though for a future (second half of season at best).

Yeah metchie should be available at 59

Williams honestly could be gone before 22 or he could be there at 28 who knows but boy does he look good on tape

Olave seems to be the safe pick and im a bit concerned hes already hit his ceiling

Watson seems like he could be the best of the bunch in 3 years...and he could be right out the gate as well. He just seems the perfect fit for the MLF offense

But I think they gotta sign Julio, it just makes too much sense

With julio lazard and cobb i think they could win now if you hit on 1 or 2 of thoae guys in the draft watch out...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just some initial thoughts on WR's.

I would roughly rank the guys that I really like specifically for the Packers like this:

1. Garrett Wilson, OSU
2. George Pickens, UGA
3. Treylon Burks, ARK
4. Jahan Dotson, PSU
5. Christian Watson, NDSU

I think Wilson can be whoever you want him to be because his skill set is so diverse. Beyond him are guys who would fill particular roles, as least to start their careers.

Pickens would be a boundary X, Burks a gadget/YAC weapon, Dotson a slot/Z with juice, and Watson a vertical threat who needs to learn the position.

All of them could become much more than that, but that's what I think you'd get for the most part in year one.

For the Packers specifically, I don't like Chris Olave; he physically profiles like a guy the Packers would draft but he's too finesse and doesn't offer anything after the catch. Drake London is not my style of receiver. Finally, I don't think that the Packers are in a position to draft a guy who will have to redshirt like Jameson Williams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would roughly rank the guys that I really like specifically for the Packers like this:

1. Garrett Wilson, OSU
2. George Pickens, UGA
3. Treylon Burks, ARK
4. Jahan Dotson, PSU

I think Wilson can be whoever you want him to be because his skill set is so diverse. Beyond him are guys who would fill particular roles, as least to start their careers.

Pickens would be a boundary X, Burks a gadget/YAC weapon, Dotson a slot/Z with juice, and Watson a vertical threat who needs to learn the position.

All of them could become much more than that, but that's what I think you'd get for the most part in year one.

For the Packers specifically, I don't like Chris Olave; he physically profiles like a guy the Packers would draft but he's too finesse and doesn't offer anything after the catch. Drake London is not my style of receiver. Finally, I don't think that the Packers are in a position to draft a guy who will have to redshirt like Jameson Williams.
Thanks for the list and the observations on Olave and Drake. Why will Drake have to redshirt his first season? That means he can't play right? Need a little clarification.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thanks for the list and the observations on Olave and Drake. Why will Drake have to redshirt his first season? That means he can't play right? Need a little clarification.

Referring to Jameson Williams with that comment.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more for now: Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan

Physical Profile:
Moore is not a "Packers type" in this regard. He's a hair under 5'10" (though a pretty thick 195#) and his RAS is a 6.86 (due mostly to poor agilities-- more on that in a second). But he does have some legit juice that shows up in testing. His 4.41 forty is obviously plenty fast enough, but his burst is elite. His official 10 yard split is 1.46, but a scout told Dane Brugler that he hand-timed it at 1.38. As far as the agilities go, there has been a weird trend in recent years, with fewer and fewer receivers doing those drills or performing poorly in them year over year. For instance, Jerry Jeudy, who is extremely agile and an excellent route runner, was in the 3rd % among receivers in the short shuttle. So something fishy is going on there and I'm not putting much weight in those outcomes. One other note here-- despite being a smaller guy, Moore's hands are huge (10.25").

Production: As you'd want to see in a player from the MAC, Moore was dominant. 96/1293/10 in 12 games in 2021, 25/388/3 in 5 games in 2020, 51/802/3 in 13 games in 2019. This last season, his share of the production was crazy: 41% of the completions, 40% of the yardage, 43% of the touchdowns. The next highest numbers on the team after him were 46, 768, and 6 respectively. He is currently only 21 and broke out at age 18. Zierlein has noted that he has really good ball size (remember the hand size), and PFF credited him with an FBS leading 26 broken tackles last year (remember the size relative to height).

Media Opinion: The PFF crowd is certainly highest on him, ranking him 33rd overall and 6th among wide receivers. He is outside of Jeremiah's top 50. He's Zierlein's 10th WR.

Packer Projection: If they keep Cobb, already having Amari Rodgers, I doubt they would see Moore as a great fit. But I believe Moore could play inside and outside, as the slot, Z, or X. He's undersized to play on the LOS, but he's so explosive that I don't see press coverage being a big problem for him. In the offense, I would see him growing into a role as a chain mover and YAC weapon.

Skyy Moore is somewhat of a draft crush for me. I know we don't traditionally go for this type of receiver, but he is very comparable to an Antonio Brown/Emmanuel Sanders type receiver. I think that he can be very productive in the right offense and I wish we'd adjust what we're looking for in a receiver sometimes because I feel we're limiting ourselves.

My dream is to have an Edge fall to us with our first pick and then pair Skyy with a more of an X receiver. It's not likely, but a man can dream.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Garrett Wilson, OSU
2. George Pickens, UGA
3. Treylon Burks, ARK
4. Jahan Dotson, PSU

So, I'm not as low on Olave as you, but he's not a guy to break a tackle and isn't much of a YAC guy. So that moves him further down on my list than most. It seems like everyone and their mother wants him to be a Packer. I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't be floored.

As a Georgia die-hard, I think Pickens ceiling is high if he can stay healthy. He might have some diva attitude problems though and he doesn't have the biggest hands. Not that it mattered when he was on the field because he was able to make circus catches, but there's also limited tape.

Burks could bust, but I think he has the perfect skillset to fill the Deebo role in this offense. I worry about his ability to separate and lack of vertical, but it was pretty fun to watch him play this past season.

I'm warming up to Dotson because every time you watch film on him, he's just open. His quarterback sucked and I think that's keeping his stock down, but I love watching him play and I think he could be very good at the next level.

Watson is beyond skinny and plays like it, but holy hell I've never seen someone his size with hips that fluid. He has incredible wiggle for such a tall guy!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson is beyond skinny and plays like it, but holy hell I've never seen someone his size with hips that fluid. He has incredible wiggle for such a tall guy!

I'm warming up big time to nabbing Watson in the first which I wasn't earlier...but that is only if we get a smart sure handed veteran in the room like Julio, Green or a trade target. Watson could be argued to fit both things this draft - a WR to start asap, but also a draft and develop guy, given the growth he has left.

As for Olave LOL, YAC guy he isn't, he is a route technician with straight line speed for days - Adams wasn't a YAC guy either though, so I have no problem targeting Olave with a pick for sure...but I love route technicians so I've been on the Olave train for years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So, I'm not as low on Olave as you, but he's not a guy to break a tackle and isn't much of a YAC guy. So that moves him further down on my list than most. It seems like everyone and their mother wants him to be a Packer. I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't be floored.

As a Georgia die-hard, I think Pickens ceiling is high if he can stay healthy. He might have some diva attitude problems though and he doesn't have the biggest hands. Not that it mattered when he was on the field because he was able to make circus catches, but there's also limited tape.

Burks could bust, but I think he has the perfect skillset to fill the Deebo role in this offense. I worry about his ability to separate and lack of vertical, but it was pretty fun to watch him play this past season.

I'm warming up to Dotson because every time you watch film on him, he's just open. His quarterback sucked and I think that's keeping his stock down, but I love watching him play and I think he could be very good at the next level.

It's not that I'm low on Olave generally, but just that I don't like him for the Packers' style of offense. Green Bay wants to present offensive looks to defenses that are indistinguishable when it comes to run/pass. They want to execute a lot of play-action and run the ball effectively (with receivers that will block). They want to create YAC opportunities and let players gain yards with the ball in their hands. They love screens. They work a lot of RPO's over the middle of the field.

Olave is a rail thin finesse receiver. He is a good route runner and creates separation and can make plays in the intermediate and deep levels of the field. And that's great. But I can't picture him in the context of our offense. Maybe I'm seeing it all wrong-- that's always a distinct possibility. Basically, I think he could be Calvin Ridley, but I don't think a receiver like that would thrive in Green Bay. There's a place for him, but it's not LaFleur's offense. Now watch them draft him.

Burks has been tough for me. Is he Laviska Shenault, or a lot more than that? I think his testing it better than it appears. He had the 6th best speed score among receivers at the combine, but it's hard for us to mentally put 4.55 in the context of a 225 lb player. I do know that GPS data tracked him as high as like 23 MPH on the field during the season, which is absolutely blazing. One thing that helped me is to look at how much receivers with that height/weight/speed profile have thrived at the NFL level: Hopkins, Adams, Brown, Pittman. And the other thing is this-- Burks' agility times are wrecking his RAS score. But I don't know what those are worth. Since they moved the combine to prime time, those drills happen late, after long days of drills and interviews. Lots of players are skipping them and the ones who don't are generally underperforming. Hypothetically, if he had turned in a 4.15 SS and 7.10 3C (not great numbers by any means), his RAS would be like 7.5 and no one would blink about his athleticism.

If you want a slot/Z, Dotson is this class's second best option to me after Wilson. I think he's just a better player than Olave.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that I'm low on Olave generally, but just that I don't like him for the Packers' style of offense. Green Bay wants to present offensive looks to defenses that are indistinguishable when it comes to run/pass. They want to execute a lot of play-action and run the ball effectively (with receivers that will block). They want to create YAC opportunities and let players gain yards with the ball in their hands. They love screens. They work a lot of RPO's over the middle of the field.

Olave is a rail thin finesse receiver. He is a good route runner and creates separation and can make plays in the intermediate and deep levels of the field. And that's great. But I can't picture him in the context of our offense. Maybe I'm seeing it all wrong-- that's always a distinct possibility. Basically, I think he could be Calvin Ridley, but I don't think a receiver like that would thrive in Green Bay. There's a place for him, but it's not LaFleur's offense. Now watch them draft him.

Burks has been tough for me. Is he Laviska Shenault, or a lot more than that? I think his testing it better than it appears. He had the 6th best speed score among receivers at the combine, but it's hard for us to mentally put 4.55 in the context of a 225 lb player. I do know that GPS data tracked him as high as like 23 MPH on the field during the season, which is absolutely blazing. One thing that helped me is to look at how much receivers with that height/weight/speed profile have thrived at the NFL level: Hopkins, Adams, Brown, Pittman. And the other thing is this-- Burks' agility times are wrecking his RAS score. But I don't know what those are worth. Since they moved the combine to prime time, those drills happen late, after long days of drills and interviews. Lots of players are skipping them and the ones who don't are generally underperforming. Hypothetically, if he had turned in a 4.15 SS and 7.10 3C (not great numbers by any means), his RAS would be like 7.5 and no one would blink about his athleticism.

If you want a slot/Z, Dotson is this class's second best option to me after Wilson. I think he's just a better player than Olave.
Ya, I don't disagree with any of this and it's pretty spot on. I brought up YAC because I know that's important in this offense. I still actually believe in Shenault in the right offense too. I don't think Jax did a great job of putting him in a situation to succeed. I could break that down even further, but I'm going to take the lazy way out ;) And I absolutely think you're spot on again about Burks and his testing. His game tape is way better than what he put up at the combine. He has incredible tape and was blowing by Alabama's secondary even though they are not the traditionally great Alabama corners. He doesn't have hips like Watson, but he doesn't seem as tight as his three-cone would suggest. Like I said, he fits that Deebo role for us almost too well.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Christian and Jalen Tolbert both are small school guys that flat out produced and then when given chance at senior bowl against stiffer comp produced…went to the combine and produced.

First round is too early arguably for Christian, BUT he will not last till our second round pick. So it’s pick him first round or it is a trade back and pounce back up or a trade up move in early second - he is good! Tolbert should be there in second, IMO shouldn’t see Day 3 but May.
Just watched tape on Jalen Tolbert... loved the guy - he won't be there at our 3rd pick, so we'd have to move up.

In round 1, Williams and Wilson will be gone for sure - starting to think Pickens will be gone too.

Would trade up for either Williams or Pickens if that is what it takes to land either.

I like Pickens a bit more at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched tape on Jalen Tolbert... loved the guy - he won't be there at our 3rd pick, so we'd have to move up.

In round 1, Williams and Wilson will be gone for sure - starting to think Pickens will be gone too.

Would trade up for either Williams or Pickens if that is what it takes to land either.

I like Pickens a bit more at this point.
Sorry guys you know the WR draft candidates better than I do. Is Wilson the speed freak who had a 1.46 10 yard split in the 40? If not who was that guy? Speed alone doesn't justify a 1st round pick, but I'll look for some guidance from you guys.

I liked Olave until I heard his YAC numbers sucked. That won't work with MLF's game plan. Probably not with any game plan.....

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm warming up big time to nabbing Watson in the first which I wasn't earlier...but that is only if we get a smart sure handed veteran in the room like Julio, Green or a trade target. Watson could be argued to fit both things this draft - a WR to start asap, but also a draft and develop guy, given the growth he has left.

As for Olave LOL, YAC guy he isn't, he is a route technician with straight line speed for days - Adams wasn't a YAC guy either though, so I have no problem targeting Olave with a pick for sure...but I love route technicians so I've been on the Olave train for years.
I would think Rodgers would love a route technician as well. Actually, I think Adams had decent YAC numbers, not that it matters now.......

Members online

Latest posts