2022 Free Agents/Cuts/Players of Interest to Talk About

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, definitely gives the Packers some flexibility as the roster pans out. They may find themselves in a similar situation at OL. That of being very deep with some quality players. The big difference though, there isn't really any cap savings to be found there. It is incredible how cap top heavy with Bahk that group is. I think all but Bahk are on rookie deals. While you never want to trade away talent, if some of these young guys look really good on the OL, the Packers might find themselves with trade bait.

I don't foresee that ever happening this year, last year taught us how deep a well there is needed on OL and even then we tested that razor's edge far too much, only having a HOF QB I think did that OL suffice at times.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thought my buddy had was...at what point do you grab Kevin King back onto this roster as your #4 CB for this SB run?

He is still out there...and rumors have been kinda quiet with him. Last year you nabbed him for $5M....when I thought about it, I said about $3.5M on a one year I am smiling all the way to the bank with that....and personally would feel I might very well have the BEST cornberack room in the league overall and deepest with him as my #4.

Would I choose signing him at that over maybe a Kyle Rudolph or Jared Cook...probably not...but this "cheap" move would be another one that would yet again make this defense potentially one of the best in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't foresee that ever happening this year, last year taught us how deep a well there is needed on OL and even then we tested that razor's edge far too much, only having a HOF QB I think did that OL suffice at times.
You are probably right, it won't happen. However, what I would LOVE to see happen is that the young guys really give Gute and Co. something to think long and hard about when it comes to Jenkins future in GB. Not saying that they should trade him, but nice to have options. I am also hoping that Bahk is back to his old self, but you never know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another thought my buddy had was...at what point do you grab Kevin King back onto this roster as your #4 CB for this SB run?

He is still out there...and rumors have been kinda quiet with him. Last year you nabbed him for $5M....when I thought about it, I said about $3.5M on a one year I am smiling all the way to the bank with that....and personally would feel I might very well have the BEST cornberack room in the league overall and deepest with him as my #4.

Would I choose signing him at that over maybe a Kyle Rudolph or Jared Cook...probably not...but this "cheap" move would be another one that would yet again make this defense potentially one of the best in the league.
I just heard screams from all the anti-Kingers. Gute should do anything that improves this team, within budget constraints of course. The 3 starters at CB are collectively way above average, but when was the last time the Packers had zero injuries at CB during a season? Just doesn't seem to happen, so yes, King and probably a handful of other FA CB's could make sense.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard screams from all the anti-Kingers. Gute should do anything that improves this team, within budget constraints of course. The 3 starters at CB are collectively way above average, but when was the last time the Packers had zero injuries at CB during a season? Just doesn't seem to happen, so yes, King and probably a handful of other FA CB's could make sense.

CB and TE I think are the two positions we still see signings in as most likely. Also OLB veteran possibly...all would be "one year cheap" deals for sure. Each of those positions boosted just slightly are excellent ways of upgrading an already well constructed roster with only one position which is betting on ceilings more than floors (WR).

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also this I know goes against some of what I’ve said but honestly if you push Julio say into that room, you gotta cut someone and Cobb may just be that person given the known ceiling has been hit already and between Doubs/a Rodgers/Toure our middle slot role will be found.

I think we are done in WR room for Gute barring injury honestly. He isn’t one to want to cut a very recently drafted WR, Toure can be PS saved but these others cannot

I don't post here often, but does everyone else agree that signing Cobb was dumb and his roster spot is owed entirely to Aaron?

During his last four years in Green Bay, he was one of the least effective receivers in the league, averaging like 7 yards a target. And he hasn't gotten better since 2018. His number just improved from him being a WR3/WR4.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't post here often, but does everyone else agree that signing Cobb was dumb and his roster spot is owed entirely to Aaron?

During his last four years in Green Bay, he was one of the least effective receivers in the league, averaging like 7 yards a target. And he hasn't gotten better since 2018. His number just improved from him being a WR3/WR4.

Yeah, Aaron probably is the primary reason why we have Cobb, but if we're carrying 6 receivers, I don't mind one of them being Cobb. I'm all for developing guys, but there's something to be said for keeping a mentor-type player when your WR corps is flush with guys that are developing. We're probably going to be carrying 3 WR this year with 0-1 years of experience, and I'd rather have Cobb than a 4th newbie.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, Aaron probably is the primary reason why we have Cobb, but if we're carrying 6 receivers, I don't mind one of them being Cobb. I'm all for developing guys, but there's something to be said for keeping a mentor-type player when your WR corps is flush with guys that are developing. We're probably going to be carrying 3 WR this year with 0-1 years of experience, and I'd rather have Cobb than a 4th newbie.
Agree. It wasn't like Cobb was pushing anyone off the roster last season and he did make some important first down catches along the way. I actually think his role is more important this season, than it was last. With Adams and MVS gone, if Rodgers is under duress, he needs to be on the same page as 1 WR and that guy might be Cobb this season.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And...his last three years across three teams he has had 10.0/9.2/9.6 Y/Tgt

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A buddy of mine said he's interested to see if Wyatt comes in and absolutely appears to ball out to the level many assume he will be capable of....and Gute and Co. feel an upgrade at the TE room or another veteran WR would benefit us - could Lowry be a cap casualty cut in order to bring in and pay someone?

I didn't flesh this out at all...but honestly Lowry did come to my mind on draft night as a guy that is probably motivated a ton to prove worth because his team went out and got Reed, now draft arguably the second best DL in the class....personally I'm not moving any of my DL because that group of 4 + Slaton I think have a chance to be special, BUT that is the one group that perhaps has "meat" to cut or change...
Does a Jaire extension free up some money for this year if needed.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wait. I didn't know we were buddies!

D

Deleted member 6794

Wasn't aware of the Jarwin injury lingering. Ebron has been productive everywhere he's gone. He got supplanted by Friermuth in Pittsburgh due to the rookie contract.

Ebron only had 12 receptions for 84 yards in eight games last season. I don't consider that as being productive.

You're not getting LOCKS for production at TE at this point in FA Capt...

I understand that but would prefer someone else over Ebron if the Packers decide to sign a veteran tight end.

No.

Does a Jaire extension free up some money for this year if needed.

Yes, the Packers could create up to $10 million of cap space for the 2022 season by extending Alexander.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. It was to appease Rogers. That was the endgame with his acquisition.

He offers great veteran presence and leadership in the locker room.

He just restructured his deal so he's not going anywhere.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook just turned 35, but if you look at his yearly stats, he hasn't slowed down much.
It would've been nice to get Jared Cook back to GB a couple years ago, but I think he's washed.

He had a talented Herbert, studs WRs in Williams and Allen. Within a strong pass happy offense, he did nothing as the #1 TE.

There are younger TEs in the market.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would've been nice to get Jared Cook back to GB a couple years ago, but I think he's washed.

He had a talented Herbert, studs WRs in Williams and Allen. Within a strong pass happy offense, he did nothing as the #1 TE.

There are younger TEs in the market.

Cook had 48 receptions for 564 yards last season despite the Chargers featuring Allen, Williams and Ekeler. That's significantly better than Ebron did in 2021.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cook had 48 receptions for 564 yards last season despite the Chargers featuring Allen, Williams and Ekeler. That's significantly better than Ebron did in 2021.

Can't argue with stats as facts.

I think Ebron is younger and more athletic and given the situation in Pittsburgh, I don't think Ebron shouldn't be ruled out as a possibility.

However, a free agent TE addition is only necessary in the event the TE group proves underwhelming.

There is an entire summer between now and kickoff.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Former Bears RB Tarik Cohen just can't catch a break. Now that he isn't a Bear, I can feel sorry for him. :coffee:

Reaction score
A buddy of mine said he's interested to see if Wyatt comes in and absolutely appears to ball out to the level many assume he will be capable of....and Gute and Co. feel an upgrade at the TE room or another veteran WR would benefit us - could Lowry be a cap casualty cut in order to bring in and pay someone?

I didn't flesh this out at all...but honestly Lowry did come to my mind on draft night as a guy that is probably motivated a ton to prove worth because his team went out and got Reed, now draft arguably the second best DL in the class....personally I'm not moving any of my DL because that group of 4 + Slaton I think have a chance to be special, BUT that is the one group that perhaps has "meat" to cut or change...
What about getting a player back in trade for Lowry? He just had one of his best seasons in 2021.

Such as a #4 CB, #3 Safety, #2TE etc..

Maybe that’s not realistic. I kinda like the old boy.

D

Deleted member 6794

What about getting a player back in trade for Lowry? He just had one of his best seasons in 2021.

Such as a #4 CB, #3 Safety, #2TE etc..

Maybe that’s not realistic. I kinda like the old boy.

The Packers might be able to trade Lowry for a backup at another position they would have to compete with other teams if released by his current one.

It would be unrealistic to expect anything else though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got asked my short list of FAs at CB we might want to look at...figured I'd share.

CORNERBACKS - Everyone knows I love a circle back to Kevin King again, as your CB1 or CB2 he is not what you want...as your CB4 or potentially CB3 in an injury he is GOLD. However, I'll mention a few others here.
Janoris Jenkins - Starter basically his whole career and even played still 78.6% of Titans' snaps last year. He produced over 50 tackles, a FF and 1 INT. Titans signed him to a two year deal for $15M but cut ties after one. He is the most expensive option most likely on my list and is why I'd personally probably shy away from it.
AJ Bouye - A guy I kinda wanted us to look at back in 17' when he eventually signed with the Jags. He's only played 37% of his teams' snaps the last two year and last year he battled through a foot injury before it landed him on IR. Despite his limited play he graded out decent according to PFF at 66.8 - producing 28 tackles and on FF. No longer most likely a CB1 or CB2 guy - he is similar to King in that you get those games and snaps from him however throughout his seasons. Coming off a release after year one of a two year $7M deal, he is not going to cost much but could be excellent insurance and depth.
Trill Williams - This is a YOUNG guy a few of us liked in his draft class that just simply didn't make it. His RAS out of college was 7.71 and many felt he could be that Day 3 steal with his athletic tendencies and abilities. However, a failed physical in New Orleans eventually found him in Miami for 2021 and now nowhere. He is a VERY low risk potentially high payoff prospect still at this point that could with a change of scenario be more what he was for Syracuse and some saw. Is he anymore than Ento, Texada or SJC at this point - arguably not, but at his cost if our scout team liked him I'd be behind a signing of him.
*Xavier Rhodes gets a mention but I don't feel this happens.

Staff online

Latest posts