2022 Free Agents/Cuts/Players of Interest to Talk About

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to go on record here saying I think MVS will end up being fiscally the largest FA contract signed by another team resulting in the highest compensatory pick back to us in 2023.

I think he gets bigger than Rasul and Campbell (which I feel at most only one is back with us). No one else in my mind will compete out of:

Lucas Patrick (he is going to be next highest IMO)
Robert Tonyan
Dennis Kelly
Bojo
Kevin King
Chandon Sullivan
Tyler Lancaster
Henry Black
EQSB

Reaction score
I'd rather keep Big Dog than bring in Rudolph. Lewis will play 50% of the snaps, be a great blocker and also leak out for routes enough to catch offenses sleeping. May need to get by with Lewis, Deguara, Davis & draft pick/udfa.
I agree. He’s defied the aging process. Ok ok he fumbled the ball in 10 degrees that’s not shocking for anyone.
Keep in mind we’ve seen recent snippets of him being adequate in the short passing game and he’s even made some surprisingly athletic plays. He’s not done yet imo.
We know Marcades usage was heavily scaled to blocking only because of a decimated OL. Yet Big Dog left untethered has shown capable much like an Old, sure handed Jason Whitten or even Richard Rodgers (for lack of a better immediate example) If we get some semblance of OL continuity I believe he’s every bit of capable as Rudolph as a receiver if we chose to use him as such. I think the solution is you look to the draft by Round 4, Pass catching option at TE with the mental acuity to take on the Pro- level quickly (in the mold of a DulCich or Calcaterra)

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if the right thread - I guess I would call it a "player of interest to talk about" - but the Bears are reportedly trading Khalil Mack to the Chargers for a 2022 2nd and 2023 3rd.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Raiders are cutting Cory Littleton.

He was really good in LA under Barry.

I think he’d be a much more cost effective solution at linebacker than Campbell.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure if the right thread - I guess I would call it a "player of interest to talk about" - but the Bears are reportedly trading Khalil Mack to the Chargers for a 2022 2nd and 2023 3rd.
Sounds like it's a done deal, but only for a 2nd round this draft and a 6th round in 2023.

Bears lose a really good player, but dump a lot of cap this year ($6M) and next year ($28M).

Glad to see him traded out of the North, but all in all, he wasn't a very good investment for the Bears.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. He’s defied the aging process. Ok ok he fumbled the ball in 10 degrees that’s not shocking for anyone.
Keep in mind we’ve seen recent snippets of him being adequate in the short passing game and he’s even made some surprisingly athletic plays. He’s not done yet imo.
We know Marcades usage was heavily scaled to blocking only because of a decimated OL. Yet Big Dog left untethered has shown capable much like an Old, sure handed Jason Whitten or even Richard Rodgers (for lack of a better immediate example) If we get some semblance of OL continuity I believe he’s every bit of capable as Rudolph as a receiver if we chose to use him as such. I think the solution is you look to the draft by Round 4, Pass catching option at TE with the mental acuity to take on the Pro- level quickly (in the mold of a DulCich or Calcaterra)

Lewis still excels as a blocker but I don't expect him to have a significant impact as a receiver at this point in his career anymore.

Glad to see him traded out of the North, but all in all, he wasn't a very good investment for the Bears.

I agree, but why do you make it sound like that's something negative??? ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lewis is a hedge against our Oline. It paid off last year. He's not much of a receiver and yeah he fumbled when it was 10 degrees, but EVERY time he carries that ball it's flailing around out away from his body. and it came back to bite us at the worst time. I'd prefer they just get the Oline in order and get some TE's on this roster we can use as more than just an extra Olineman.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, but why do you make it sound like that's something negative??? ;)
Most definitely a positive when the Bears screw up big. I remember talk here about the Packers being the ones that screwed up because they didn't offer the Raiders enough for Mack! Maybe he would have helped the Defense, but he would have cost a lot of money AND we probably wouldn't have Rashan Gary or Jordan Love and I know not having Love would upset you. ;)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOLY ****....Christian Kirk is reportedly getting a four year $84M deal with the Jaguars....I'm sorry but he is NOT a $20M a year type guy. Now granted that figure is no doubt probably inflated by a 4th year that will NEVER happen, but still if he averages over $12M a year the first 3 that is nuts.

I mean folks he and MVS compared...He has been in the league four years while MVS three...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

If you're Allen Robinson or Will Fuller or MVS....you and your agent are smiling incredibly big hearing this news...

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also....that inflated contract of Kirks per year is higher than Adams' franchise tag LOL....

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I initially read that as Christian *Kirksey* and about spit out my drink :laugh:

Is it bad I'd be more inclined to do that for him almost than Kirk? LOL

Speaking of Kirksey, he's done well since leaving, earned an extension himself with the Texans after a solid year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
HOLY ****....Christian Kirk is reportedly getting a four year $84M deal with the Jaguars....I'm sorry but he is NOT a $20M a year type guy. Now granted that figure is no doubt probably inflated by a 4th year that will NEVER happen, but still if he averages over $12M a year the first 3 that is nuts.

I mean folks he and MVS compared...He has been in the league four years while MVS three...

If you're Allen Robinson or Will Fuller or MVS....you and your agent are smiling incredibly big hearing this news...
Saw that and thought the same things. Of course, what sucks, it is more fuel for Davante wanting and thinking he deserves more than $25M per.

Also, I hope the Bears feel like they need to try and stick it to the Packers and sign MVS for a similar deal as Kirks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how missed this but OJ Howard is a free agent i absolutely think the packers should pursue. The exact profile of a break out TE and he won’t cost that much (i would think).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not sure how missed this but OJ Howard is a free agent i absolutely think the packers should pursue. The exact profile of a break out TE and he won’t cost that much (i would think).
Have to wonder if the Packers are even approaching free agents given their situation of having to tie up a lot of loose ends before the Wed. Deadline, just to get under the cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Jaguars signing Kirk to that deal is absolutely crazy. Even if they release him after two seasons to save some cap space in 2024 they would have paid him at least $37 million :eek:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jaguars signing Kirk to that deal is absolutely crazy. Even if they release him after two seasons to save some cap space in 2024 they would have paid him at least $37 million :eek:

MVS, Allen Robinson and Fuller's agents were dancing yesterday...shoot any WR free agent did. CRAZY

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Davante was probably dancing as well, if not, he was at least saying "told ya so!"

I was only listing free agents but for sure.

Now Kirk's details of the contract is out and it is not $84M

That is still a DUMB contract and is no doubt truly a two year deal I suspect unless Kirk explodes into a Top 20 WR in the league.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm guessing that the Packers are still working with Cobb on a restructure or they will cut ties with him in the next 30 hrs. Will be interesting to see what they do with Crosby between now and then. They are running out of ways to create more cap space.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing that the Packers are still working with Cobb on a restructure or they will cut ties with him in the next 30 hrs. Will be interesting to see what they do with Crosby between now and then. They are running out of ways to create more cap space.

The main three to me are Jaire extension, Cobb restructure, Crosby cutting.

A creative way which @captainWIMM and I teased some in a discussion with is instead of just tendering Lazard RFA...offer him a reasonable prove it deal of 2 to 3 years, with a lower 2022 hit, escalated second year and "very big" potential 3rd year.

Something like:
$1.5M 2022 hit
$4.5M 2023 hit
$10M 2024 hit *seems crazy but IF something clicks Lazard becomes a true bonafide #2 many have hoped for this $10M in 2024 could be a bargain...or it means it is a two year deal essentially at $3M a year, which depending on the Tender is about or actually less than his cost of tendering.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main three to me are Jaire extension, Cobb restructure, Crosby cutting.

A creative way which @captainWIMM and I teased some in a discussion with is instead of just tendering Lazard RFA...offer him a reasonable prove it deal of 2 to 3 years, with a lower 2022 hit, escalated second year and "very big" potential 3rd year.

Something like:
$1.5M 2022 hit
$4.5M 2023 hit
$10M 2024 hit *seems crazy but IF something clicks Lazard becomes a true bonafide #2 many have hoped for this $10M in 2024 could be a bargain...or it means it is a two year deal essentially at $3M a year, which depending on the Tender is about or actually less than his cost of tendering.
Highly doubt Lazard's agent would be that stoopid to accept essentially a 2 yr/$3Mil deal when he's scheduled to be an unrestricted FA next year. GB is going to need to tender him at $2.43Mil for right to match any offer or let him walk for Zero compensation; 2nd round tender of $3.99Mil; or 1st round tender of $5.56Mil. As he's a solid #3 WR, excellent blocker, and AR trusts him it'll more than likely be the 2nd round tender to keep him for '22. He's only 26 yrs old, so even a 3 yr. deal lets him get another payday while under 30, but would (I'm guessing) need to be 3yr/$18-$20Mil to keep him longer-term, but that wouldn't save anything on cap in '22 assuming SB around $9Mil.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highly doubt Lazard's agent would be that stoopid to accept essentially a 2 yr/$3Mil deal when he's scheduled to be an unrestricted FA next year. GB is going to need to tender him at $2.43Mil for right to match any offer or let him walk for Zero compensation; 2nd round tender of $3.99Mil; or 1st round tender of $5.56Mil. As he's a solid #3 WR, excellent blocker, and AR trusts him it'll more than likely be the 2nd round tender to keep him for '22. He's only 26 yrs old, so even a 3 yr. deal lets him get another payday while under 30, but would (I'm guessing) need to be 3yr/$18-$20Mil to keep him longer-term, but that wouldn't save anything on cap in '22 assuming SB around $9Mil.

I deflated the second year on purpose as this type of structure would be my direction to his team. You could easily do a faster acceleration as well and he have a "bet on himself type 3rd year" still like I said. No doubt it would have to be structured in a way the team for sure isn't walking from him till after two years are done, guaranteed percentage would have to be decently high and Lazard would have to prefer spending time with Rodgers to elevate his figures and still have a chance like you said of that pre-30 year old contract.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One FA WR I'm "intrigued" by is John Ross III. Never stayed healthy enough or rose to WR1 with Cincy, played on a $2.25Mil deal w/ NYG last year but their offense was horrible so not necessarily a true reflection on Ross' contributions. Could he be a cheap MVS-replacement? Fast, sudden WR who's only knocks are staying healthy and 20% drop-rate. With AR lasering balls to him could he be a good 2nd/3rd option in this offense?

Members online

No members online now.