2021 Season - 1st Quarter Assessment

Reaction score
Agreed overall. This team has the tools to go to the Super Bowl. I really believe in the notion that Green Bay should continue to run the ball more and more. We have two incredible horses, an O-line that is good at pass protection but even better at run blocking, a great blocking TE in Lewis, and a really good blocking WR in Lazard. Utilize all of those tools more and more this season, and AR12 will be able to shred defenses when he does throw the ball.
Sure. Especially against the opponents who are in the bottom half of the league in run D.
In fact we saw MLF implement that towards the end of last season. It works especially well in cold weather games.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I just realized that the combined records of the teams that the Packers have played is 5-11. Of course, 3 of those 11 losses are thanks to the Packers. I know its early and maybe the Steelers, 49'er and Saints are better than their records indicate, but beating some top teams like LA, AZ, KC and dare I say, Cleveland, will make me think this team is a Super Bowl contender.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Offense: The Packers are in position is be just as potent as they were a year ago. Some of that potency will come with time as the offensive line gets healthy and the young players get up to speed. By mid-season, I expect that a healthy OL with some more experience under its belt will be creating a lot of opportunities in the running game and giving Rodgers plenty of room/time to operate. If everyone's healthy, it will be hard to know who to bench between Turner, Runyan, and Newman. There aren't many teams in position like that.

Defense: It's hard to get a read on this defense. I think you have to throw out week one across the board. But even at that, the Lions largely stopped themselves in week 2. They played pretty well against SF and PIT, but those are two offenses that don't test you downfield hardly at all. Today's game will be a little bit more informative-- the Bengals also like to throw short, but they do have a more effective passing game down the field. One thing I will say for them is that they tackle way better than Pettine's defenses. Whether they make it in the long term or not will come down in large part to whether they learn to communicate and pass off/pick up assignments effectively.

Players Exceeding Expectations:

-Billy Turner
-Yosh Nijman
-Jon Runyan Jr.
-Royce Newman
-Josh Meyers
-Davante Adams
-De'Vondre Campbell
-Eric Stokes

Players Falling Below Expectations:

-Josiah Deguara
-Kingsley Keke
-Preston Smith
-Chandon Sullivan

Most Notable So Far: I think this has to be the offensive line. This about what's happened:

-All Pro LT out for 6 weeks.
-LG replaces him at LT.
-LG goes down, replaced by a UDFA.
-Sophomore 5th rounder starting at LG.
-Rookie 2nd rounder starting at OC.
-Rookie 4th round starting at RG.

If all of that happened on virtually any other team, it would be an abject disaster. But in Green Bay, it's just meant that the line is solid, as opposed to outstanding. That is an amazing testament to the ability of this organization to draft and develop offensive linemen. Outside of Aaron Rodgers, the ability of Green Bay to find great OL play so consistently, and often in the middle rounds, is the single biggest competitive advantage they hold over the rest of the league.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Offense: The Packers are in position is be just as potent as they were a year ago. Some of that potency will come with time as the offensive line gets healthy and the young players get up to speed. By mid-season, I expect that a healthy OL with some more experience under its belt will be creating a lot of opportunities in the running game and giving Rodgers plenty of room/time to operate. If everyone's healthy, it will be hard to know who to bench between Turner, Runyan, and Newman. There aren't many teams in position like that.

Defense: It's hard to get a read on this defense. I think you have to throw out week one across the board. But even at that, the Lions largely stopped themselves in week 2. They played pretty well against SF and PIT, but those are two offenses that don't test you downfield hardly at all. Today's game will be a little bit more informative-- the Bengals also like to throw short, but they do have a more effective passing game down the field. One thing I will say for them is that they tackle way better than Pettine's defenses. Whether they make it in the long term or not will come down in large part to whether they learn to communicate and pass off/pick up assignments effectively.

Players Exceeding Expectations:

-Billy Turner
-Yosh Nijman
-Jon Runyan Jr.
-Royce Newman
-Josh Meyers
-Davante Adams
-De'Vondre Campbell
-Eric Stokes

Players Falling Below Expectations:

-Josiah Deguara
-Kingsley Keke
-Preston Smith
-Chandon Sullivan

Most Notable So Far: I think this has to be the offensive line. This about what's happened:

-All Pro LT out for 6 weeks.
-LG replaces him at LT.
-LG goes down, replaced by a UDFA.
-Sophomore 5th rounder starting at LG.
-Rookie 2nd rounder starting at OC.
-Rookie 4th round starting at RG.

If all of that happened on virtually any other team, it would be an abject disaster. But in Green Bay, it's just meant that the line is solid, as opposed to outstanding. That is an amazing testament to the ability of this organization to draft and develop offensive linemen. Outside of Aaron Rodgers, the ability of Green Bay to find great OL play so consistently, and often in the middle rounds, is the single biggest competitive advantage they hold over the rest of the league.
Stenavich for President!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Dantés i was with you the whole way but I believe not thinking Preston is meeting or exceeding expectations is lunacy in my opinion.

Dude has been awesome for us - your falling for the only looking at sacks stat line.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
@Dantés i was with you the whole way but I believe not thinking Preston is meeting or exceeding expectations is lunacy in my opinion.

Dude has been awesome for us - your falling for the only looking at sacks stat line.

Thank you for telling me what I am falling for. It’s so helpful to have people tell me what I think.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As per usual, the team is positioned well with a 1 game lead over the 2nd place Bears. This organization seems to use September as an extension of the pre-season on an annual basis. Good reasons for optimism include seeing plenty of 1st and 2nd year players getting a good amount of game experience, our new punter has been a very noticeable upgrade over our experience with Scott, and our young and inexperienced offensive linemen have been far better as a unit than I could have reasonably hoped for. Newcomers like Campbell, Bojo, Newman, Myers and Stokes have all contributed to giving this team a better overall look.

Negatives- blocking on special teams is still weak and we still appear to not have a legitimate punt returner on this roster imo.
Both offense and defense has had early season inconsistencies in execution. Injuries piling up to key players are going to further challenge this team during the 2nd quarter of the season.
Overall, I'd grade this team's performance as a solid B+ so far.
I would go B. 2 of our wins were against not so good teams and we should have at least been competitive in New Orleans.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
LoL it was the only reason I feel someone could say Preston is failing

With Z down, he’s the veteran leader of an underperforming pass rush. I haven’t been particularly impressed with the level of pressure he’s been providing.

D

Deleted member 6794

I just realized that the combined records of the teams that the Packers have played is 5-11. Of course, 3 of those 11 losses are thanks to the Packers. I know its early and maybe the Steelers, 49'er and Saints are better than their records indicate, but beating some top teams like LA, AZ, KC and dare I say, Cleveland, will make me think this team is a Super Bowl contender.

With the Chiefs' defense struggling mightily (they ran dead last in points allowed) they might not be a top team this season.

If everyone's healthy, it will be hard to know who to bench between Turner, Runyan, and Newman. There aren't many teams in position like that.

I'm convinced Turner will continue to start at right tackle once the offensive line is back to full strength. Newman will most likely continue to line up next to him at guard.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced Turner will continue to start at right tackle once the offensive line is back to full strength. Newman will most likely continue to line up next to him at guard.

I concur with your thoughts as well. Runyon has done well, but I feel will be the odd man out once Bahk and Jenkins return to full health.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can extrapolate first season performance a bit...

Cardinals, Chiefs, Rams
Washington, Seahawks, Ravens, Browns
Bears x 2, Vikings x 2, Lions x 1

I still believe we have a good team to win them all. Cardinals and the Rams will be the toughest with Chiefs blowing hot and cold.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With the Chiefs' defense struggling mightily (they ran dead last in points allowed) they might not be a top team this season.

That may very well be the case, but the point is that it’s unusual that a team would be in a position to bench a guy playing that well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may very well be the case, but the point is that it’s unusual that a team would be in a position to bench a guy playing that well.

For sure but this year is anything but typical along our OL front. It honestly has pushed us to figure out what we had in Newman, Runyon and Nijman well before what otherwise we might have. I suspect Newman won his job regardless.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are statistical projections based on the first five. Obviously we have guys like MVS that projects for far less than probably scenario given missed games....but here is how things shake if the averages trend same:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously ignore the Aaron Rodgers reception line. Not sure why the site I extracted stats even bothered with it. (pro football reference)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this also at this point in reflection; Tonyan stats down, MVS injury and Lazard not getting targets...IF this truly is the last year we have Adams and Rodgers in uniform and the restart if you will hits next year. Those three weapons should be quite affordable to keep around for Love.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Those three weapons should be quite affordable to keep around for Love.
I agree that they will be affordable, but can you imagine a team that has #1 and #2 WR's of MVS and Lazard, with Love throwing to them? I think the rest of the NFL will breath a collective sigh of relief.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that they will be affordable, but can you imagine a team that has #1 and #2 WR's of MVS and Lazard, with Love throwing to them? I think the rest of the NFL will breath a collective sigh of relief.

Nah I don't think it would play out like that. We would bring in a WR or draft a high Day 1 or Day 2 WR pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nah I don't think it would play out like that. We would bring in a WR or draft a high Day 1 or Day 2 WR pick.
Let's put it this way, without #12 and #17, this offense will struggle for a few years. I expect Amari Rodgers to be in the mix by year #3, but wouldn't expect a late 1st or 2nd round WR to contribute a whole lot for a few years either. IF #12 and #17 aren't in Green and Gold next year, we are in official rebuild mode.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this also at this point in reflection; Tonyan stats down, MVS injury and Lazard not getting targets...IF this truly is the last year we have Adams and Rodgers in uniform and the restart if you will hits next year. Those three weapons should be quite affordable to keep around for Love.
Rodgers has convinced me and a lot of people that he still has it. I still like the Love pick as Rodgers looked like he was sliding. I saw his presser two days ago and it is so obvious that he is and always has been a Green Bay Packer. The presser where he said that there was no way he would ever be a chicago bear. A good interview and I only saw an elite football player talking football. Well, and a Packer. Hope he is back next year and grievances with upper echelons will work out for the better of the team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's put it this way, without #12 and #17, this offense will struggle for a few years. I expect Amari Rodgers to be in the mix by year #3, but wouldn't expect a late 1st or 2nd round WR to contribute a whole lot for a few years either. IF #12 and #17 aren't in Green and Gold next year, we are in official rebuild mode.

2022 will not be about winning, it will be about growing pains and planning for 2023 push.

Members online

Latest posts