2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

"Among teams doing varying levels of homework on Love, according to sources: Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, New England Patriots, Los Angeles Chargers, Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins, among several others,"
Interesting, thanks for finding that. So let's see who each of those teams did select or not select, instead of selecting Love.

Dolphins: They got Tua with the #5 pick, seems to be working well. However, they also had the #18 pick, which they used on LT Austin Jackson. Hard to say what they have in Jackson, he's been mostly inactive due to injuries. 2023 he started and evidently play pretty well.

Saints: Given Bree's age at the time, kind of a surprise the Saints didn't nab Love. Instead, they draft C Cesar Ruiz. Much like Jackson, he's been hampered with a lot of injuries, but plays well when healthy. Brees ended up retiring in 2021, they have to be wondering "what if?"

Patriots: Belichick traded out of round one, they had the 23rd pick. This might be the team that REALLY screwed themselves. Brady had just walked away from the team and signed as a FA with the Bucs. The Pats finished the 2020 season 7-9, with Cam Newton at QB. Belichick would target Mac Jones at #15 in the 2021 draft and that hasn't worked out.

Chargers: They were smart, got Herbert with the #6 pick and all is good.

WTF: Is it just me or is this team ALWAYS trying to find a QB. They selected Chase Young with the #2 pick. Short run, worked pretty well for them, but Young is now with the 9'ers.

I walk away from this little exercise wondering if Saints and Patriots fans have all suddenly realized "What if we had chosen Love?"

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for finding that. So let's see who each of those teams did select or not select, instead of selecting Love.

Dolphins: They got Tua with the #5 pick, seems to be working well. However, they also had the #18 pick, which they used on LT Austin Jackson. Hard to say what they have in Jackson, he's been mostly inactive due to injuries. 2023 he started and evidently play pretty well.

Saints: Given Bree's age at the time, kind of a surprise the Saints didn't nab Love. Instead, they draft C Cesar Ruiz. Much like Jackson, he's been hampered with a lot of injuries, but plays well when healthy. Brees ended up retiring in 2021, they have to be wondering "what if?"

Patriots: Belichick traded out of round one, they had the 23rd pick. This might be the team that REALLY screwed themselves. Brady had just walked away from the team and signed as a FA with the Bucs. The Pats finished the 2020 season 7-9, with Cam Newton at QB. Belichick would target Mac Jones at #15 in the 2021 draft and that hasn't worked out.

Chargers: They were smart, got Herbert with the #6 pick and all is good.

WTF: Is it just me or is this team ALWAYS trying to find a QB. They selected Chase Young with the #2 pick. Short run, worked pretty well for them, but Young is now with the 9'ers.

I walk away from this little exercise wondering if Saints and Patriots fans have all suddenly realized "What if we had chosen Love?"
Not to mention Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not to mention Minnesota, Chicago and Detroit.
Right. I was just going off the list of teams that @pacmaniac posted as teams that showed interest in Love before the draft. If Love turns out to be as good as A-Rod, there will be a lot more teams that hindsight and history will say "should have" selected him.

Reaction score
I’ve always thought the GB video crews should put something together on Love and Reed. Both have dads that sadly are gone and both were set to quit…
Amen.
You know, come to think of it, watching these guys are like a feature film @tynimiller. We are Witness Greatness in the making and it’s not only based on a true story.. it is the true story.
God willing we give SF trouble
GPG!

Inactives: Include AJ Dillon, Brenton Cox Jr, JJ Enagbare, Malik Heath, Caleb Jones, Benny Sapp III

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Gute had traded up into the 1st round or early second round, I have very little doubt that Love would have been selected by another team before the Packers 2nd round pick (#62). I know one team was mentioned as being ready to select him, but can't rememer who that was.

In looking for which team was ready to take him, I found this article. Figured it was from 2020, it was from Oct. 2023! Some people just double down on stupidity!

Not true Poker. They could have gotten him on day three. I'm sure I read that somewhere in one of these threads.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not true Poker. They could have gotten him on day three. I'm sure I read that somewhere in one of these threads.
Day 3? Nahhhhhh.....he would have been an UDFA had the Packers not selected him in the first round. Heck, he might be selling used cars right not if it wasn't for Gute's stupidity! :roflmao:

Funny thing is, perhaps if another team had selected Love, he gets thrown into the fire too quickly and fizzles out. I said it in 2020 and I will say it again, with even more confidence, it isn't a bad thing to have your potential future starting QB, sitting on the bench for a few years, learning from one of the best to play the game.

Of course some just want INSTANT impact and think that happens with every player selected in the first 2 rounds.