2020 Packers 5th round pick: Kamal Martin, LB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Donald Driver took 4 years, but he seemed to do pretty well.

When you have to go back to 1999 to try and prove me incorrect and you aren't using a DeLorean to get back there, I would contend that your argument is weak at best.

I also said in the last 20 years, knowing someone might go back and dig Driver up out of the history books. Driver has been the exception, not the rule.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martin struggled with injuries throughout his career, missed 5 games as a senior due to injuries, skipped out on the Outback Bowl, couldnt participate in the Senior Bowl due to injuries and was a limited combine participant again due to injuries. We would have gotten a better selection there with the old big board blindfold and darts method. I'll take Martin as the first of this draft class to be cut.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ex quarterback who that assists his instincts and diagnosing making up for a non-electric first step but is above average all around. Much more attack oriented than Blake was, and slightly more fluid. I liked Mykal Walker and Strnad more and hadn't researched him much but appreciate and like his tape.

He has really good hands for an ILB.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martin struggled with injuries throughout his career, missed 5 games as a senior due to injuries, skipped out on the Outback Bowl, couldnt participate in the Senior Bowl due to injuries and was a limited combine participant again due to injuries. We would have gotten a better selection there with the old big board blindfold and darts method. I'll take Martin as the first of this draft class to be cut.

Hang on....injuries throughout his career??? I didn't see this. I know this last year the knee but where these others?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add for those who don't know him, he has very long arms and his hand strength is arguably his best attribute of any.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

It's all one injury, easyk. He got hurt 8 games into his senior season, and subsequently missed 5 games, a bowl game, and the combine. I don't believe he missed a game prior to his injury in 2019, so he didn't struggle with them throughout his career.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add for those who don't know him, he has very long arms and his hand strength is arguably his best attribute of any.

He played SAM and Mike backer, probably figure to use him to clean out blocks for Kirksey and our safeties to make plays.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all one injury, easyk. He got hurt 8 games into his senior season, and subsequently missed 5 games, a bowl game, and the combine. I don't believe he missed a game prior to his injury in 2019, so he didn't struggle with them throughout his career.

Yeah my mistake, I thought I read that he only played in 9 games during his second and third year.

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"develop" for a wr is typically three years. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a prospect here to add to the mix, but I won't be too pissed off if we have who we have. Especially now that it seems clear that the focus is shifting to the run game.

I believe the tight end group will have plenty of catches.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have to go back to 1999 to try and prove me incorrect and you aren't using a DeLorean to get back there, I would contend that your argument is weak at best.

I also said in the last 20 years, knowing someone might go back and dig Driver up out of the history books. Driver has been the exception, not the rule.

You said 20 years "or so"....making Driver fair game. Argument therefore debunked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You said 20 years "or so"....making Driver fair game. Argument therefore debunked.

It wasn't an "argument" on my part, it was a question to you. You seem to think that having produced 1 guy in 21 years somehow changes my mind on this question/statement? You actually proved my point, because 1 out of a whole lot, is an exception, not a rule.

How has that worked with the guys that the Packers have drafted 4th round and later in the last 20 or so years?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't an "argument" on my part, it was a question to you. You seem to think that having produced 1 guy in 21 years somehow changes my mind on this question/statement? You actually proved my point, because 1 out of a whole lot, is an exception, not a rule.

Argument: a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

Goodnight! :)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jim Nagy, the director of the Sr. Bowl, had this to say about Kamal Martin:

#Packers: Minnesota LB Kamal Martin 5th Rd. Martin was top-3 rated LB for
@seniorbowl
based off junior tape last summer but a knee injury kept him out of pre-draft process and caused him to slide. Fits NFL prototype long and athletic space linebacker. Could be a steal for Pack.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

You trying to tell us that we potentially got a starter out of the draft?

Stop the cart!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was disappointed based on his 2019 tape. He was slow to diagnosis, sloppily tackling and played slow.

However, his 2018 tape paints a different story. Martin looked 20lbs lighter. Covered a bunch of slot receivers, TEs, RBs, and did it well. He played fast and played physical.

2019 looks like he bullked up and had a lot more play responsibility. + Injuries.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just watched some tape. He looked like a very good blitzer.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure was a headscratcher of a pick at the time. I could find very little about him. But having read some more about him, he could be a very nice pick. These are the kind of guys I would draft in 5th round or later. Showed some promise and then for a potentially excusable reason (injury) he slid till late. Its a great gamble that he will pick up from his 2018 campaign. In which case we get a 3rd round level talent in the 5th. If it doeant work out, not that much invested.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for argument sake. If he was a 3rd rounder from a 2018 grade; his maturity (just in the body) should make him better than a 3rd. Assuming he regains form.

Members online

Latest posts