2020 Packers 5th round pick: Kamal Martin, LB

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
At this point, I am here for the Packers drafting players that are going to stoke the flames.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Emmm, nothing to add really since I've never heard of this guy. Good luck to Mr. Martin.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Thanks Dantés. Didn’t have the stomach to start this one.

Nothing to add. Honestly never heard of this guy. It’s refreshing that we seemingly decided to draft a position of need though. It’s a shame it took until pick #175.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Amazed to see the Packers navigate a draft that was "Deep in WR's and Deep in OT's". Both positions of need for the Packers and through 5 rounds, not one chosen.

I genuinely hope that I look back at this draft in 3 years and blame COVID19 for not seeing just how unbelievably spectacular it was and how Gute and MLF outsmarted us all.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazed to see the Packers navigate a draft that was "Deep in WR's and Deep in OT's". Both positions of need for the Packers and through 5 rounds, not one chosen.

But if it's as deep as you say, wouldn't the best value be at the end of the draft?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But if it's as deep as you say, wouldn't the best value be at the end of the draft?

Sure if you are looking for backups at those positions. I guess the theme of this draft?

Not to mention if you find a WR in the 7th round that may have been 5th round quality in the past, how does that help the Packers?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

I genuinely hope that I look back at this draft in 3 years and blame COVID19 for not seeing just how unbelievably spectacular it was and how Gute and MLF outsmarted us all.
Dolphins just took the damn long snapper Gute was waiting on. :mad:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
175 to take a position of need....yea, I don't like it.

I would have preferred his teammate Carter Coughlin, who is a better athlete for an off ball projection, but I guess they went with the power that Martin has. It's just a meh pick. Best of luck to him.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far in this thread, no mention of what position this guy plays. I had to go elsewhere to find out. :mad:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure if you are looking for backups at those positions. I guess the theme of this draft?

Not to mention if you find a WR in the 7th round that may have been 5th round quality in the past, how does that help the Packers?

Well if we're transitioning to a run first and run often team, drafting a wr with any of these remaining picks is pretty futile. I'd rather our own guys develop, especially ESB. I'd rather we go heavy with big bodies to support oline and dline.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only thing that makes sense is they don't see WR as as big a need and we do. They must be happy with Adams, Fuchness and Lazard. And maybe they think they can get by with Rick Wagner for a couple of years with at RT? :unsure:

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

when they are zigging we are zagging. Justyn Ross, JaMarr chase, Jaylen Waddle, and DeVonta Smith are all top 10 talents next year that we can snag at the end of round one. I think next years crop isn’t as deep but definitely has more talent at the top of the draft.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's what I've got on this guy.

First Name: Kamal

Last Name: Martin

College: University of Minnesota

Position: Linebacker

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
martin does nice job in zone coverage reafs the Qb and reacts does not over run things seems to have high football Iq. Has knack for coming in and scooping up the loose ball and slapping ball out on tackles. Great value hear best pick for them so far.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd rather our own guys develop, especially ESB.

Right, the same approach they used last season, just substitute MVS in your sentence.

Sorry, I thought that the Packers were thin going into 2019, I think I was right. Now most are saying it and stating that it will get fixed in the deepest WR talent draft ever. Now if people start saying they don't need to fix it, really? Meh!

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, the same approach they used last season, just substitute MVS in your sentence.

Sorry, I thought that the Packers were thin going into 2019, I think I was right. Now most are saying it and stating that it will get fixed in the deepest WR talent draft ever. Now if people start saying they don't need to fix it, really? Meh!

"develop" for a wr is typically three years. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a prospect here to add to the mix, but I won't be too pissed off if we have who we have. Especially now that it seems clear that the focus is shifting to the run game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"develop" for a wr is typically three years.

How has that worked with the guys that the Packers have drafted 4th round and later in the last 20 or so years?

This whole hope of mid to late round picks or UDFA's developing for the Packers at WR seems to be a prayer and a myth that has been holding TT and now Gute back from really addressing the position often enough, with a higher round pick. Probably the pitfalls of having back to back HOF QB's that can make below average look average.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"develop" for a wr is typically three years. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a prospect here to add to the mix, but I won't be too pissed off if we have who we have. Especially now that it seems clear that the focus is shifting to the run game.
There are plenty of rookie WR's who contribute each year, and this year's rookie WR production will probably be higher than in other years.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How has that worked with the guys that the Packers have drafted 4th round and later in the last 20 or so years?

This whole hope of mid to late round picks or UDFA's developing for the Packers at WR seems to be a prayer and a myth that has been holding TT and now Gute back from really addressing the position often enough, with a higher round pick. Probably the pitfalls of having back to back HOF QB's that can make below average look average.

Donald Driver took 4 years, but he seemed to do pretty well.

Members online

Latest posts