2020 Packers 2nd round pick: AJ Dillon, RB

Reaction score
I’m thoroughly amazed how good his hands are. He catches nearly everything thrown his way that’s within reach.
His real value comes when he gets hit near LOS with leaning momentum but fights through the traffic and gives us “2nd and 4”.

We’ve already seen where he’s a natural in cold weather and he’s not at all intimidated by tougher D fronts. He almost sees it as an opportunity to showcase. He’s got the burst of a HB and power of a FB. I’d like to see him involved in the short passing game a bit more. He’s very formidable catching it inside +5 yards and using his momentum to run a player over. He’s not a guy you can even think about hitting above the waist unless you’re 250lb+Or unless you can catch him behind the LOS before momentum starts. Once he’s past LOS he’s like a bull in a China shop.

On that TD pass he actually looked reminiscent of a bigger version of Aaron Jones.
I think it was his forward lean, low trajectory, mixed with good balance? It really popped out how he’s taking on some of Jones style. Take a look at that play If you get a chance. He’s developing into a formidable Receiver and taking on minute aspects of Jones’ style. Feet churning forward leaning
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
BC could’ve exploited teams had they developed his receiving game earlier in college.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
On that TD pass he actually looked reminiscent of a version of Aaron Jones.
I think it was his forward lean, low trajectory, mixed with good balance.
I do think he and Yosh need to work on that Robot celebration.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is so far my favorite Dillon highlight.

"A field flipping fifty yard play"

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple quick hitters,

1) He's outperformed Jones rushing the football in each of the last few games. Part of that probably has to do with the breakdown of our run blocking what with all of these injuries. Jones as a shifty cutter needs at least some space to work with while Dillon has the ability to create his own.

2) My favorite Dillon play is either one of two, that 30 yarder he put up against Tennessee last year. He left two defenders tackling dirt with his quick feet. Hes a powerful 250 pound man who can flat our truck people, but hes not limited to fullback style running. His cutting balance and footwork combined with good acceleration and speed for his size give the ability to run around defenders who given his size and strength have to practically launch themselves at him with the hopes of bringing him down. A quick step by Dillon and a would be defender is eating turf.

The other is him squatting and carrying a Tampa Bay defender for multiple yards after contact. Why we didnt feature him against Tampa Bay more at the start of that game I will never know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
1) He's outperformed Jones rushing the football in each of the last few games.
Keep in mind Jones got hurt in the Seattle game, didn't play against the Vikings and was used sparingly against the Rams. I will take a healthy Jones over Dillon, but if I had to include the salaries, Dillon is by far the better value back.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind Jones got hurt in the Seattle game, didn't play against the Vikings and was used sparingly against the Rams. I will take a healthy Jones over Dillon, but if I had to include the salaries, Dillon is by far the better value back.

I think that Jones requires atleast something to work with vis a vis run blocking like most backs. Whereas Dillon can give you 3 yards and a cloud of dust with nothing but slop in front of him. If you watch every carry of his in the Seattle and LA games he's getting contact at the LoS practically every play. Most backs arent going to be hit by DTs and DEs at the line of scrimmage an then have the lower body strength to drag a 300 pound DL plus other defenders 2-3 yards after that contact.

The question I would ask is who would you rather have with great run blocking? What about average or good run blocking? Now how about mediocre or worse?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The question I would ask is who would you rather have with great run blocking? What about average or good run blocking? Now how about mediocre or worse?
I think Jones and Dillon really compliment each other and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Jones seems to find holes, whereas Dillon seems to make them. Jones is quicker and has better hands, but Dillon is showing he can maintain a long run with contact and has proven he can catch the ball. Dillon is a much cheaper back.

Run blocking can fluctuate all over the place, depending on the defense and the health of the offense. We have seen games where Jones can't find or make a hole, but Dillon has more success. Games where Jones finds a nice hole and pops a long run.

Resigning Jones was a luxury for the Packers, but it came at a pretty high price. I think if Jones's contract was up at the end of this season, they don't offer him the same money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it odd folks want to versus or choose one or the other. Honestly, both do and offer things which the other just aren't as good at. Both are EXCELLENT backs, and EXTREMELY deadly and tough for defenses to plan for.....but part of their magic is the other's presence as well.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it odd folks want to versus or choose one or the other. Honestly, both do and offer things which the other just aren't as good at. Both are EXCELLENT backs, and EXTREMELY deadly and tough for defenses to plan for.....but part of their magic is the other's presence as well.

it's not a versus or an issue of choosing, to me its a reflection on what we have up front right now. Jones is superb if his run blocking is atleast functional. Right at this moment with our offensive line is flux Dillon is probably a better fit for what we have.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jones and Dillon really compliment each other and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. Jones seems to find holes, whereas Dillon seems to make them. Jones is quicker and has better hands, but Dillon is showing he can maintain a long run with contact and has proven he can catch the ball. Dillon is a much cheaper back.

Run blocking can fluctuate all over the place, depending on the defense and the health of the offense. We have seen games where Jones can't find or make a hole, but Dillon has more success. Games where Jones finds a nice hole and pops a long run.

Resigning Jones was a luxury for the Packers, but it came at a pretty high price. I think if Jones's contract was up at the end of this season, they don't offer him the same money.
I think Dillon spending so long on the covid list didn't give the Packers sufficient time to evaluate him in game situations. Had he been available and put together a few games even close to what he did against the Titans last season I'm not sure the Packers give Jones the contract they did.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that Jones requires atleast something to work with vis a vis run blocking like most backs. Whereas Dillon can give you 3 yards and a cloud of dust with nothing but slop in front of him. If you watch every carry of his in the Seattle and LA games he's getting contact at the LoS practically every play. Most backs arent going to be hit by DTs and DEs at the line of scrimmage an then have the lower body strength to drag a 300 pound DL plus other defenders 2-3 yards after that contact.

There's not a huge difference when comparing both running backs based on yards after contact (Dillon 2.28, Jones 2.09).

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I don't see a need to compare the two RBs at all. They are two extremely different, yet complimentary backs. I think the better comparison would be Jamaal Williams to AJ Dillon, and I do not think much more needs to be said there.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I love Green Bay. Green Bay knows that. I love the Packers. The Packers know that. I’d play here until I can’t run anymore. I’ll pick up long snapper or whatever it is when I start slowing down. But there’s only so much I can control

““I’m going to have fun and enjoy all the time I have here. And hopefully, we’re back here next year. Like I always say, Green Bay is home for us whether football is here or somewhere else. We’ll be back here eventually. (But) obviously, I want to be in the green and gold.”

I know this cannot be everyone's mentality, however no joke there is something special about it when guys don't just feel this way but project it this way. Many withhold such definitive emotions or thoughts most likely for reasons which likely are led either by their agent expressing don't show your cards (lessons contract offer possibly) or it is their own defensive mechanism against having to leave a place you love (Donald Driver had more in the tank but not for anyone else...).

I have no clue what the future holds for AJ Dillon and the Packers....whether he is here in 2024 or not, I'll forever be a Dillon fan (the person) regardless of the player he is in 2023, was in 2022 or excited me in 2021....

Go PACK Go!

Reaction score
I am firmly convinced that if the Packers had a similar level of gratitude and Loyalty from each player (I know it’s not wholly realistic) that the team as a whole would be slightly more productive. A dozen players playing Slightly more productive could be the difference we’ve been missing.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been reported that the Packers saved a million in cap space because Douglas and Alexander skipped OTA's. That no doubt is a big help to the team. Are Douglas and Alexander willing to take huge pay cuts for the team or is there another dynamic at work? Both Douglas and Alexander are the kind of no nonsense guys you want on your team but in today's NFL, what motivation is there for leaving such a large sum of money on the table?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everything is relative. One of the reasons I've cooled on pro sports over the years is that they used to make good money, but numbers that I could understand. Now, look at Alexander's contract, how much he's also banked, and ask youself how much impact a six-figure loss means to him. In other words, I would contend that he really didn't leave 'such a large sum of money on the table', it just seems that way to real people.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its been reported that the Packers saved a million in cap space because Douglas and Alexander skipped OTA's. That no doubt is a big help to the team. Are Douglas and Alexander willing to take huge pay cuts for the team or is there another dynamic at work? Both Douglas and Alexander are the kind of no nonsense guys you want on your team but in today's NFL, what motivation is there for leaving such a large sum of money on the table?

$700,000 of it was Jaire, he's been very open and honest about how and why he does what he does. He prefers a lot of his non-mandatory time spent at the facility when there isn't a ton of people. He's actually going to stay around after this week and such clear through July. Sounds like a lot of open communication lines are there and he even stated he's been watching the OTAs he wasn't at, because he went in on how Watson and Doubs have been showcasing serious improvement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Everything is relative. One of the reasons I've cooled on pro sports over the years is that they used to make good money, but numbers that I could understand. Now, look at Alexander's contract, how much he's also banked, and ask youself how much impact a six-figure loss means to him. In other words, I would contend that he really didn't leave 'such a large sum of money on the table', it just seems that way to real people.

I feel the exact same way. I mean I think about $700K and what it could do for me or anyone for that matter and I cringe that a guy doesn't show up for what amounts to improving at his job and improving the team. Now I am sure that there are those "Rodgers didn't need OTA's", that will go nuts with that statement.

Jaire did say he would have reported had it been something like $10M to do so. :rolleyes:

How much would it have taken to get Alexander to come?

“Man, to come to [the whole] offseason?” he said. “I'd probably say about, I would've definitely been here for 10.”

$10 million?

“Yeah,” he confirmed.

What I think is odd/sad/funny is that Jaire lived in Green Bay during the offseason, he left right before OTA's started. So it wasn't like he didn't want to extend a vacation away from Green Bay, he just didn't want to show up and it would have taken him $10M to do so. He could have skipped out on 5 days of OTA's and still gotten his $700K bonus.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, as he also outlined he isn't leaving now that mandatory time is coming to a close. He's figured out what works for him and he prefers that end of June, and July up to re-reporting time to be in GB and working out in the facility when it is "empty".

Not saying it is something I'd do, but from his full interview it is very clear he and the team are on the same page and all is well...it isn't even a surprise he wasn't there, it was more so a plan he wasn't there - despite being there up to and then after.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually Rodgers even said the OTAs this offseason were the most fun he's had in a while. Maybe it wouldn't have been so long if he had attended last year's OTAs!
Maybe he has finally decided that trying to buck the system, just to stand out, isn't the way he wants to be in New York.

Members online

Latest posts