2020 Packers 2nd round pick: AJ Dillon, RB

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s kind of funny.

People said similar things last year about the draft too.

Our first round pick isn’t doing anything! What a waste!

Now, luckily Savage and Jenkins played well last year to stave off the people, but otherwise, pretty much nothing.

Now? Gary is showing up every week. He’s getting pressure, he’s holding the edge, he’s playing well. People have differing opinions on Savage. Jenkins is playing well, per usual. Sternberger has, imo, been a disappointment, but he is contributing. KeKe has come on strong lately, he’s our best interior pass rusher sans Clark. The rest are your typical late round fillers.

But! Rounds 1-5, every draft pick is contributing. All of them are improving! It takes some time for these guys to play well. Judging after one season is a foolish endeavor. Judging after 5 or 6 games is even worse. I know everybody wants to be the first to have the “right” take, but it takes some time! Everybody develops differently, and this year in particular is very, very, odd in terms of what the rookies had to adjust to. You absolutely cannot discount that.

So is this a good draft? A bad draft? I have no idea! There are some players I like in it. There are some players that I personally would not have chosen. They can still obviously be good players. It’s going to take some time, and we’ll have to be just a little bit patient.

no. Last year we actually had savage and Jenkins who contributed greatly during their rookie campaigns. This year we have exactly zero tangible contributions. It’s pretty different. Traded 4th rounder to move up. So picks 1-4 Have literally given the packers nothing this year.

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no. Last year we actually had savage and Jenkins who contributed greatly during their rookie campaigns. This year we have exactly zero tangible contributions. It’s pretty different. Traded 4th rounder to move up. So picks 1-4 Have literally given the packers nothing this year.

Deguara was contributing before he got injured.

Kamal Martin was slated to be an opening day starter before he got injured.

Pick one has literally given the Packers nothing on the field this year. Pick two has literally given the Packers very little on the field this year. Pick 3 was playing a decent amount before he got hurt. Pick 4 was going to be an opening day starter before he got hurt.

Post draft, we knew Love and Dillon weren’t going to be on the field much this first year. That’s not what they were drafted for.

Again, all I’m saying is that the impact seen from this class (good or bad) won’t be seen the first year or two. It takes time for these guys to develop, and anybody who has followed the draft knows that.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara was contributing before he got injured.

Kamal Martin was slated to be an opening day starter before he got injured.

Pick one has literally given the Packers nothing on the field this year. Pick two has literally given the Packers very little on the field this year. Pick 3 was playing a decent amount before he got hurt. Pick 4 was going to be an opening day starter before he got hurt.

Post draft, we knew Love and Dillon weren’t going to be on the field much this first year. That’s not what they were drafted for.

Again, all I’m saying is that the impact seen from this class (good or bad) won’t be seen the first year or two. It takes time for these guys to develop, and anybody who has followed the draft knows that.

that’s exactly my point, at the very best we spent our most valuable picks on guys who we’re hoping can contribute next year or the year after at earliest. A backup’s backup at QB, a backups backup at RB a backup at tight end and a traded 4th round pick. With Rodgers age, I was kinda hoping we coulda at least drafted one single player with one of our top picks that would help out a little this season. I know draft picks take time, everyone knows that...but we literally drafted players that we knew from the gate wouldn’t even contribute at all this season. I’m not upset at the players drafted, I’m upset at the philosophy of this class in particular. Dillion being the one I’m most upset about. RBs can come in rookie year and contribute immediately, a second pick on a rb should be a starter in his rookie year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Jerellh528 I'll just quote what has already been stated. You simply are not correct in your definitive claims about this draft class. .....although now it appears you deleted your comment about not grasping what I'm referring to.

You have to look at the entirety of the draft. While the top pick isn't and we shouldn't want him to, provide anything for a few years...let's delve into pick by pick:

-Dillon, this was a pick more about 2021 than 2020 for sure. Clearly gifted and talented back but behind two NFL starting caliber backs this season. The Houston game was a little surprising, but no logically driven person will evaluate him based on that game alone.

-Deguara, it was VERY apparent he was going to be a cog used in the MLF system - and was uniquely gifted to do a role none of our other TEs are. Had he not seen injury, he 100% would have been a contributor...somedays it might have been like Ervin - pivotal role but not on statlines.

-Martin, injury curbed his production (but made possible another guy to blossom...more on that down farther). Kamal before the injury was getting the praise of coaches, teammates and limited spectator reports from practices. The Houston game illustrated that praise had substance to it. If he continues to see the field for 25% or more of the defensive snaps, it is clear he exceeded his 5th round spot picked and the expectations which go with that.

-Runyon, while he hasn't had to see the field much - which is a good thing, the lack of hesitancy by the staff when he has to be plugged in is VERY promising. By all accounts Runyon is expected during his rookie contract to probably become a starter...6th round...you CANNOT logically expect more.

-Jake Hanson, much like some other picks Hanson is a pick for the future not the present. He projects to be a VERY capable backup C - maybe guard...but he was selected leave no doubt to battle for Center with Patrick and maybe someone not on the roster when Linsley leaves in 2021.

-Stepaniak, honestly this is the only guy drafted I wasn't familiar with in all of my pre-draft research and mocks. He is INSANELY strong, but we won't know till full health occurs and 2021 is here...flyer of a late rounder on a guy they project as a possible steal.

-Vernon Scott, ball hawk and athletic Safety out of TCU. If you watched an TCU games you are quite familiar with his name and playmaking abilities. Has some body growth to do, but he is already seeing snaps both on defense and in STs...for a 7th rounder at a position we have surefire guys ahead of hiim...what more do you want?

-Garvin, the instant 2019 Gary replacement, who replaced 2019 Fackrell on the charts. Garvin is illustrating daily why many of us were screaming his name entering the last round. In 3 of the last 4 games for the Packers, Garvin has been in there 25% or more of the snaps on the defensive side of the ball. Expectations met and exceeded.

UDFAs - Many forget these dudes are 100% part of the draft class...just because they weren't drafted in the official rounds...our scouts and staff have to pounce and go off of their knowledge to find folks.

-Krys Barnes - DUDE is arguably outside of Jaire just exploding off the stat sheets. He's getting a tackle every 4 plays he is out there and has led the team nearly every game he plays in tackles. He has been incredible and is the UDFA gem of the team and could be argued the NFL this year.

-Black, safety not many pay attention to but he is stealing some time and snaps albeit on a small scale. Expectations were passed a long time ago on him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that’s exactly my point, at the very best we spent our most valuable picks on guys who we’re hoping can contribute next year or the year after at earliest. A backup’s backup at QB, a backups backup at RB a backup at tight end and a traded 4th round pick. With Rodgers age, I was kinda hoping we coulda at least drafted one single player with one of our top picks that would help out a little this season. I know draft picks take time, everyone knows that...but we literally drafted players that we knew from the gate wouldn’t even contribute at all this season. I’m not upset at the players drafted, I’m upset at the philosophy of this class in particular. Dillion being the one I’m most upset about. RBs can come in rookie year and contribute immediately, a second pick on a rb should be a starter in his rookie year.

Calling Deguara a backup TE is such a fundamental misunderstanding of what he was doing in this offense, that it makes it hard for me to take anything else you say seriously.

I can understand not liking the philosophy of the draft, but that doesn’t make the draft a failure either. It just means they didn’t do what you or I would’ve done, and to be frank, what we would’ve done doesn’t matter. We know jackshit.

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Calling Deguara a backup TE is such a fundamental misunderstanding of what he was doing in this offense, that it makes it hard for me to take anything else you say seriously.

I can understand not liking the philosophy of the draft, but that doesn’t make the draft a failure either. It just means they didn’t do what you or I would’ve done, and to be frank, what we would’ve done doesn’t matter. We know jackshit.
Fr Fr bro we drafter backups backups in the first two rounds with guys like Chase Claypool and Patrick Queen on the board I think its Lefleur trying to get rid of Rodgers http://chng.it/LyBfGk6R sign this petition to get him fired

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Fr Fr bro we drafter backups backups in the first two rounds with guys like Chase Claypool and Patrick Queen on the board I think its Lefleur trying to get rid of Rodgers http://chng.it/LyBfGk6R sign this petition to get him fired

You do realize that it is Brian Gutekunst the Packer GM that made the draft selections?

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THIS BLOWS DI** , LOOKS LIKE THE PACK IS JUST FOLLOWING THE **** SHOW 2020 HAS LAID OUT FOR THE COUNTRY ALREADY.
Facts bro smh
You do realize that it is Brian Gutekunst the Packer GM that made the draft selections?
My thoughts too but think about how MLF has run this team... so relaxed so slow paced and not really in the mood to win it seems like and thats not even mentioning MLF's just sad in game adjustments. MLF has no intention of wining a SB with Rodgers and I know he made the call on love because of the big *** fat *** RB we drafted right after and we all know how much he loves them. Look we don't owe this guy **** but we owe Aaron another ring fs so why keep the guy who wants him in another jersey?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, Can’t think of anything worthwhile to say so I’ll just go with........ wow.

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, Can’t think of anything worthwhile to say so I’ll just go with........ wow.
Because I think its true man! Idk I just don't trust MLF with Rodgers and all I want to see is him with that trophy one last time lol

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
picks 1-5 have given us nothing! and with guys like Chase Claypool and Patrick Queen BALLING out the drafting of a QB is unforgivable help me and sign this petition to fire Matt Lefleur before he can get away with benching Rodgers and ruining this franchise. Link below

http://chng.it/LyBfGk6R

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
picks 1-5 have given us nothing!

This claim is not true and cannot be stated definitively as you stated.

Our first five picks may not have contributed to the degree you desire of feel they should have, but to say they've contributed nothing is purely false and easily checked on any stat tracking website.

Have a good one.

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This claim is not true and cannot be stated definitively as you stated.

Our first five picks may not have contributed to the degree you desire of feel they should have, but to say they've contributed nothing is purely false and easily checked on any stat tracking website.

Have a good one.
I can agree with that I have really enjoyed seeing Kamaal Martin but at the very least the first 2 picks were wastes and proof Rodgers is nowhere on MLF's plans moving forward with this team. I think is unacceptable to see guys like Queen & Claypool looking like future pro bowlers and our coach is more interested in drafting Rodgers replacement.... teams don't spend first round picks on players they don't want in the game open your eyes MLF is trying to give Rodgers the boot.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Jace You need to learn whom to direct frustration to appropriately. Pick selection Gute would be where the buck stops, play calling would be MLF. Staff hirings/firings could be either.

Jace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Jace You need to learn whom to direct frustration to appropriately. Pick selection Gute would be where the buck stops, play calling would be MLF. Staff hirings/firings could be either.
If Im being perfectly honest my frustration is with all of them haha! But I can't be convinced that MLF didn't pull the trigger or have a heavy sway on the Love pick because of the AJ Dillon pick following, and we all know how much Lefleur loves his big RB's

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Im being perfectly honest my frustration is with all of them haha! But I can't be convinced that MLF didn't pull the trigger or have a heavy sway on the Love pick because of the AJ Dillon pick following, and we all know how much Lefleur loves his big RB's

I've not heard this infatuation with big backs...he seems to love Jones and Williams - wouldn't categorize them as big. Is this based on his limited time in college or short time in Tennessee? Genuinely speaking I haven't heard this narrative - fully admit ignorance if true.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I do agree with you that Gute probably consults with MLF on potential picks, as well as Gute knows what type of player MLF wants and needs on offense. However, I believe that the final decision rests with Gute. So in the case of Love and Dillon, I can see Gute saying "our scouts love these guys and eventually they will be perfect for the system MLF is running." Did he ask MLF if it was ok to select them? I doubt it, did MLF say "I hate the picks"? Doubt it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
picks 1-5 have given us nothing! and with guys like Chase Claypool and Patrick Queen BALLING out the drafting of a QB is unforgivable help me and sign this petition to fire Matt Lefleur before he can get away with benching Rodgers and ruining this franchise. Link below

http://chng.it/LyBfGk6R

Patrick Queen has been bad so far.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We all know how much MLF loves his big *** huge *** RB's even if they can't find a whole to save their life.
Who needs to find a hole when they can create their own?

A lot of posters in this thread need to reread what they wrote and see if they still feel the same way.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Who needs to find a hole when they can create their own?

A lot of posters in this thread need to reread what they wrote and see if they still feel the same way.
I liked my first post on him. If I was in the draft room he was a slam the fists on the table kind of player for me. I am bias as BC is the best college football I have around me and know Dillion well. I think he was a week 1 RB1 on some teams and RB2 on every other team, besides GB. They drafted him knowing Jones and/or Williams would not be on the roster in 2021, and wanted to rest him as much as possible in 2020 as he came off of a career in BC where (with no stats to back it up) he was featured on 65% of the offense for 3 years straight. He will make a career out of making people miss, I believe he was responsible for 9 missed tackles by the Titans defense yesterday. A player to be excited about, especially if we are sad to see Jones get paid a 70mil contract to play for the jets next year.

Members online

Latest posts