2019 NFL head coaching changes

Number of teams with new head coaches before next league year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just like last season, how many teams have a different head coach when the 2019 season begins. Let's keep it to teams that have openings before the start of the next league year.

Cleveland and Green Bay are given. Monday next should add quite a few more. Who would that be.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001004066/article/jets-ceo-states-todd-bowles-is-our-head-coach
"The New York Jets could be in the market to replace Todd Bowles, and a Sunday report from ProFootballTalk.com indicated the Jets would make a run at University of Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh."
Following names and quotes from: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/24/nfl-coaching-hot-seat-adam-gase-steve-wilks-dirk-koetter
potentially: Adam Gase, Ron Rivera, Jay Gruden, Doug Marrone
Most likely: "Dirk Koetter is a game away from finishing his third season with a 19–28 record." in Tampa
"Wilks’s firing is a foregone conclusion, Keim [Arizona GM PS]should equally be on the hot seat."
Marvin Lewis has been a lame duck for two seasons now.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'll believe Marvin Lewis when I see it. Baffling how that dude has managed to keep his job.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin might be on the hot seat. I don't know his full story, but have always liked the guy. If he is fired, I would at least consider him for the Packers job.

Tomlin seems to be standing in the same shoes that McCarthy was. Very successful coach, but being criticized for not doing more with the players he has. Maybe he has hit the "10 year with one team wall" and a place like Green Bay gives him a fresh start?

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin might be on the hot seat. I don't know his full story, but have always liked the guy. If he is fired, I would at least consider him for the Packers job.

Tomlin seems to be standing in the same shoes that McCarthy was. Very successful coach, but being criticized for not doing more with the players he has. Maybe he has hit the "10 year with one team wall" and a place like Green Bay gives him a fresh start?
Pittsburgh has recently allowed coaches to leave on their own. The ownership has allowed much more rope to the staff than almost any other management would have. They let them go through two up/down cycles it seems.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The more I read about Tomlin the more it seems like he has run into a lot of the "McCarthy Trials". Criticized when too conservative and blasted when being aggressive and it fails. I was watching the game yesterday when the Steeler's fake punt backfired. I give Tomlin kudos for being aggressive there and then taking full responsibility after. He felt his best chance to win was keeping the ball away from Brees and had the fake worked, they may have run the clock out. Even after the failed attempt and a Saints TD, the Steelers had enough time to try and tie or win the game.

I will say possibly one of the "funniest 2018 moments" came after the fake and the Steeler ball carrier Roosevelt Nix didn't realize that he had been stopped short of the first down.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1076996769379241984

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Heard Koetter's name and the rest of the Tampa FO brought up on the radio this morning. They also mentioned Dan Quinn in Atlanta but I don't think so yet.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jay Gruden has gotta be a dead man by now. I don't know how he's lasted as long as he has in Snyder's house.

Adam Gase definitely has to be out, he is utterly stupid coaching out there.

Really don't get how Marvin Lewis stays around or why he would now. I get he made the playoffs 5 years in a row, but his overall record has proven mediocrity and this Bungles team is not going to improve with him sticking around anymore.

Koetter definitely should be gone

I'd probably fire Sean McDermott, Todd Bowles, Vance Joseph and Kyle Shanahan too.

Now Dan Quinn has a little bit of a mess to clean up on his defense, and he should probably fire Steve Sarkisian, but I think he gets just a little more rope to do it.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1079755566334033920[/TWEET]
Also didn't realize he was on the hot seat:
Despite finishing with an 8-7-1 record, the Vikings don't plan to wipe out the coaching staff, and Mike Zimmer isn't walking away.

"I'm not retiring or resigning. Period." Zimmer texted NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Multiple team sources told Pelissero they'd be shocked if Zimmer is out.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ke-zimmer-im-not-retiring-or-resigning-period

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jay Gruden has gotta be a dead man by now. I don't know how he's lasted as long as he has in Snyder's house.

Adam Gase definitely has to be out, he is utterly stupid coaching out there.

Really don't get how Marvin Lewis stays around or why he would now. I get he made the playoffs 5 years in a row, but his overall record has proven mediocrity and this Bungles team is not going to improve with him sticking around anymore.

Koetter definitely should be gone

I'd probably fire Sean McDermott, Todd Bowles, Vance Joseph and Kyle Shanahan too.

Now Dan Quinn has a little bit of a mess to clean up on his defense, and he should probably fire Steve Sarkisian, but I think he gets just a little more rope to do it.
Dan Snyder and the front office in Washington is the problem there, not Gruden. Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL. Hell, we got a mid round draft pick out of them for HHCD. And I don't know how you fire Shanahan after one year without Jimmy G for most of the year.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Snyder and the front office in Washington is the problem there, not Gruden. Snyder is the worst owner in the NFL. Hell, we got a mid round draft pick out of them for HHCD. And I don't know how you fire Shanahan after one year without Jimmy G for most of the year.

Oh make no mistake, the Redskins are a poorly run organization who need a new GM and scouting teams. But Jay Gruden has done absolutely nothing to show he's a good head coach and his mediocre record proves it. Perhaps maybe the one reason his bacon is saved is because his team was 6-2 with Alex Smith so perhaps maybe they think if he can stay healthy all next year they'll get it right finally. But I still woulda kicked Gruden's butt out.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh make no mistake, the Redskins are a poorly run organization who need a new GM and scouting teams. But Jay Gruden has done absolutely nothing to show he's a good head coach and his mediocre record proves it. Perhaps maybe the one reason his bacon is saved is because his team was 6-2 with Alex Smith so perhaps maybe they think if he can stay healthy all next year they'll get it right finally. But I still woulda kicked Gruden's butt out.
I don't think Alex Smith is going to play ever again. Basically the same age as Rodgers and a horrific injury is too much to overcome.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have to laugh to laugh a little bit because the average lifespan of HCs in Cleveland is what? 2 years? Unless Dorsey or whoever decides to turn into Ted Thompson II, I kinda don't think MM will have a chance to ruin Mayfield's prime.

Crazy enough though, I kinda hope MM does succeed over there if he is indeed hired, but if I were him I probably would have declined and taken a lesser job perhaps as an OC somewhere like Atlanta and looked to reinvent myself.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I have to laugh to laugh a little bit because the average lifespan of HCs in Cleveland is what? 2 years? Unless Dorsey or whoever decides to turn into Ted Thompson II, I kinda don't think MM will have a chance to ruin Mayfield's prime.

Crazy enough though, I kinda hope MM does succeed over there if he is indeed hired, but if I were him I probably would have declined and taken a lesser job perhaps as an OC somewhere like Atlanta and looked to reinvent myself.

I don't think everyone in Cleveland wants him. Lol

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

LOL....haven't seen this guy since he tore Cleveland a new one over them trading away "Future Hall of Famer DeShone Kizer". Ever since I saw this guy, I know picture every rant on our sight as coming from him. :D

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think this guy has any room to be fat shaming anyone. You can tell right away this nitwit knows very little about football, much like most people that post Youtube videos about their favorite team. He doesn't know how good he's got it having Dorsey in Cleveland. One year there and he's already got five times the talent we have now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think this guy has any room to be fat shaming anyone. You can tell right away this nitwit knows very little about football, much like most people that post Youtube videos about their favorite team. He doesn't know how good he's got it having Dorsey in Cleveland. One year there and he's already got five times the talent we have now.

I really wanted Dorsey.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think everyone in Cleveland wants him. LolWh

When I see a guy running a youtube channel from behind the wheel of his car I really sit up and take notice. :tup:

Jeez, the guy is slamming Dorsey? After winning 4 games in the previous 3 years? Cleveland fans should be kissing his ring.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
When I see a guy running a youtube channel from behind the wheel of his car I really sit up and take notice. :tup:

Jeez, the guy is slamming Dorsey? After winning 4 games in the previous 3 years? Cleveland fans should be kissing his ring.

He is not limited to "behind the wheel of a car". He shoots from everywhere. Lol.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He is not limited to "behind the wheel of a car". He shoots from everywhere. Lol.

Yup, same guy who posted a video after the DeShone Kizer trade, which I think he has since taken down, blasting Cleveland for giving away a future Hall of Famer. He also went on a rant about Dorsey after Cleveland traded Gordon away.

He obviously likes to drive and rant, but I think he needs to check his rear view mirror more often, because the sh*t trail he spews behind him is epic.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts