bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two weeks in here is my list
1. Dan Quinn - how does he still have a job
2. Matt Patricia - see above
3. Adam Gase - should have never received a second head coaching job
4. Bill O'Brien - yeah he wont last the year
5. Vic Fangio - maybe he gets a break due to injury but feels like a change is needed there

Guys who the shine has worn off and could find themselves in some trouble - Mike Zimmer, Doug Pederson
Guys who have cooled their seat - Matt Nagy, Doug Marrone

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely a dead heat right now between Patricia and Quinn. Bad news for Lions and Falcons fans is if they get fired now .... I'm guessing Darell Bevell would take over in Detroit, and either Raheem Morris or Dirk Koetter would in Atlanta. All of those guys are awful and are only going to make things worse. Should be quite the toilet bowl game when both these teams play each other.

For O'Brien.... Just hard to say... He's not looking good so far, but just seems like the Texans owner likes him too much.

I have thought about Zimmer, but the Vikes would probably only fire him if they thought someone like Robert Saleh or Eric Bienemy was a clear upgrade over him. Zimmer would probably get snatched up as a HC somewhere else real quick too.

Pederson... Things don't look good there either, but it's only been 3 years since Philly won that Superbowl, so I'm thinking he'll get a couple more years to get right.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow!!! Bill O'Brien first head coach to be fired, along with GM Rick Smith.

I mean given the start I figured he'd probably be in trouble, but I didn't think he'd beat Matt Patricia and Dan Quinn out the door.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Bill O'Brien looks like the Secretary of Education in Idiocracy

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is zimmerman on hot seat?

Zimmer has a pretty long leash this year with he and the gm just getting extensions. They won a playoff game last year too. I wouldnt be surprised to see him on the hot seat next year though. That team is going to have to make some serious cuts and 2022 could be worse since Cousin's cap is 45 million that year if they keep him. And if they dont keep him who knows where they are going to find a qb

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That team is going to have to make some serious cuts and 2022 could be worse since Cousin's cap is 45 million that year if they keep him. And if they dont keep him who knows where they are going to find a qb

I think Cousins is done for the Vikings after next season. They probably won't cut him after this season, since that would be a $41 M dead cap hit, unless they somehow want to spread that over 2 seasons and cut him after 6/1/21. But yeah, if he hasn't gotten any better, I highly doubt the Queens are going to take a $45M hit for him in 2022. At that point, they will gladly take the $10M dead cap and save the $35M he would be owed in salary. I look at that contract and it sure looks like one written by the Vikings knowing full well that they wanted a clear way out in 2022.

Maybe they will trade the Jets a couple of first rounders for Sam Darnold to replace Cousins? :coffee:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cousins is done for the Vikings after next season. They probably won't cut him after this season, since that would be a $41 M dead cap hit, unless they somehow want to spread that over 2 seasons and cut him after 6/1/21. But yeah, if he hasn't gotten any better, I highly doubt the Queens are going to take a $45M hit for him in 2022. At that point, they will gladly take the $10M dead cap and save the $35M he would be owed in salary. I look at that contract and it sure looks like one written by the Vikings knowing full well that they wanted a clear way out in 2022.

Maybe they will trade the Jets a couple of first rounders for Sam Darnold to replace Cousins? :coffee:

It does not sound like it is that simple to cut Cousins.

Overthecap says this about Cousins contract -
  • 2022 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2021 (injury guaranteed now)
This article also expands on it.

"The problem with the contract is in the details. As it stands, the third year of Cousins’ deal is not guaranteed, which would mean the Vikings could get out of the deal with only the $10 million prorated signing bonus counting against the cap. However, it is not that simple because Cousins’ $35 million salary in 2022 becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2021 league year.

Therefore, the Vikings have close to an impossible decision in March 2021. They could cut Cousins and prevent the 2022 salary from becoming guaranteed, meaning Cousins would count a whopping $45 million against the cap in 2022 if they did not further restructure his deal. However, cutting Cousins in 2021 to prevent that money in 2022 from becoming guaranteed would mean the Vikings would have to eat the prorated $10 million signing bonuses for both 2021 and 2022 as well as the $21 million in guaranteed salary Cousins is due in 2022."

So essentially the Vikings are tied to Cousins for two more years or will take huge cap hits.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It does not sound like it is that simple to cut Cousins.

Overthecap says this about Cousins contract -
  • 2022 salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2021 (injury guaranteed now)
This article also expands on it.

"The problem with the contract is in the details. As it stands, the third year of Cousins’ deal is not guaranteed, which would mean the Vikings could get out of the deal with only the $10 million prorated signing bonus counting against the cap. However, it is not that simple because Cousins’ $35 million salary in 2022 becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2021 league year.

Therefore, the Vikings have close to an impossible decision in March 2021. They could cut Cousins and prevent the 2022 salary from becoming guaranteed, meaning Cousins would count a whopping $45 million against the cap in 2022 if they did not further restructure his deal. However, cutting Cousins in 2021 to prevent that money in 2022 from becoming guaranteed would mean the Vikings would have to eat the prorated $10 million signing bonuses for both 2021 and 2022 as well as the $21 million in guaranteed salary Cousins is due in 2022."

So essentially the Vikings are tied to Cousins for two more years or will take huge cap hits.

Good catch! I saw the guaranteed money on the 3rd day after I posted, but didn't notice the year! That is a really odd clause, he is guaranteed his 2022 salary, if he is still on the roster after the 3rd day of the 2021 season! Just odd. I think you are right, the Vikings are stuck with him until after the 2022 season, WOO-HOO!

Anyone familiar with NFL contracts ever remember seeing that type of clause in a contract?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good catch! I saw the guaranteed money on the 3rd day after I posted, but didn't notice the year! That is a really odd clause, he is guaranteed his 2022 salary, if he is still on the roster after the 3rd day of the 2021 season! Just odd. I think you are right, the Vikings are stuck with him until after the 2022 season, WOO-HOO!

Anyone familiar with NFL contracts ever remember seeing that type of clause in a contract?

I have never seen it. It feels liked they have three bad options
1. Keep Cousins as your qb at an insanely overpaid rate
2. Cut him this offseason and have substantial dead cap and no qb to replace him
3. Restructure his deal likely meaning you have to extend him because there really isn't another way to spread out the money on a 2 year deal.

I guess you could try to trade him but I am not sure how that would effect their cap, who would want him, and where you find a qb

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have never seen it. It feels liked they have three bad options
1. Keep Cousins as your qb at an insanely overpaid rate
2. Cut him this offseason and have substantial dead cap and no qb to replace him
3. Restructure his deal likely meaning you have to extend him because there really isn't another way to spread out the money on a 2 year deal.

I guess you could try to trade him but I am not sure how that would effect their cap, who would want him, and where you find a qb

Yeah, the more I read, after reading your post the less I like this deal, if I was a Viking fan. Seems like the Vikings insisted to remove the no trade clause that Cousins wanted in his first deal. So the 2 parties agreed to this 2 year extension of that deal, which reduced the cap hit for this year, but basically guaranteed this contract, unless the Vikings are willing to take a huge cap hit. Trading him while allowed, might sound like an out for the Vikings after next season, the would "only" take a $10M cap hit, but the team trading for Cousins would be on the hook for $35M and only have a 1 year deal.

My conclusion, as a Packer fan, I absolutely LOVE this deal. Obviously, if Cousins starts playing a lot better, I like it less. But when was the last time Cousins actually consistently played like a QB that anyone would pay Aaron Rodgers type money to?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zimmer has a pretty long leash this year with he and the gm just getting extensions. They won a playoff game last year too. I wouldnt be surprised to see him on the hot seat next year though. That team is going to have to make some serious cuts and 2022 could be worse since Cousin's cap is 45 million that year if they keep him. And if they dont keep him who knows where they are going to find a qb

Yeah, I mean obviously his Mike McCarthy like decision to pass up the FG last Sunday looked bad, but if you're a Viking fan calling for him to be fired, I'd say be careful what you wish for. People always get the idea that the next guy will be an amazing genius, yet how many of these next guys end up being Jason Garrett type clown coaches?

As one poster mentioned in another thread, I think he just needs to get some semblance of a decent - - not great but decent - - defense playing by season's end.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I read, after reading your post the less I like this deal, if I was a Viking fan. Seems like the Vikings insisted to remove the no trade clause that Cousins wanted in his first deal. So the 2 parties agreed to this 2 year extension of that deal, which reduced the cap hit for this year, but basically guaranteed this contract, unless the Vikings are willing to take a huge cap hit. Trading him while allowed, might sound like an out for the Vikings after next season, the would "only" take a $10M cap hit, but the team trading for Cousins would be on the hook for $35M and only have a 1 year deal.

My conclusion, as a Packer fan, I absolutely LOVE this deal. Obviously, if Cousins starts playing a lot better, I like it less. But when was the last time Cousins actually consistently played like a QB that anyone would pay Aaron Rodgers type money to?

It's just crazy too that they gave up on Teddy Bridgewater as soon as they did. I get that he had that bad knee injury, but he was still young enough that you'd figure they'd at least have had enough faith that he'd recover from that. I got a feeling when they play Carolina this year that he's going to dice em up big time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't follow the Vikings close enough to really know this answer, but sometimes it seems like the GM is more to blame than the coach, yet the coach becomes the fall guy. While I am glad that the Packers made a coaching change, I think McCarthy's problems started multiplying when TT's decision making seemed to get worse. So up in Minnesota, Zygi Wilf is going to have to decide if his GM Rick Spielman is the root of the problem or it is all on Zimmer.

Then you have places like Detroit and Cleveland, where it seems like just bad decisions top to bottom.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is Mike Pettine on the list of "NFL Coordinators on the Hot Seat" this year? I could see a case for letting him go if the defense stays relatively healthy for the remainder of the season and the defense finishes outside of the top 15. Dan Quinn might still be looking for a job come February/March.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sometimes it seems like the GM is more to blame than the coach, yet the coach becomes the fall guy. While I am glad that the Packers made a coaching change, I think McCarthy's problems started multiplying when TT's decision making seemed to get worse. So up in Minnesota, Zygi Wilf is going to have to decide if his GM Rick Spielman is the root of the problem or it is all on Zimmer.

Well, it's likely because in most cases the HC and GM usually get tied at the hip. I mean, in some cases yes the HC and GM are at odds, but most times they do consult with each other over personnel decisions. Plus it's on the HC to develop players and tailor the schemes to their strengths.

Yes, I do think you can put Ted Thompson's bad drafts and free agent reluctance as part of MM's problems, but MM was still responsible for hitching his wagon to Dom Capers and bringing in that clown Ron Zook. Plus, while we may have been depleted of offensive talent his last year here, he doesn't have that excuse now in Dallas. He was supposed to get a fresh start there, but so far he's done bad in spite of having a talented roster and an awful division he should be rolling through. I think he's really lost his magic as a HC.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Plus, while we may have been depleted of offensive talent his last year here, he doesn't have that excuse now in Dallas. He was supposed to get a fresh start there, but so far he's done bad in spite of having a talented roster and an awful division he should be rolling through. I think he's really lost his magic as a HC.

I haven't really followed the Cowboys this year, but I think one of their biggest problems over the years under Jerry Jones stemmed around character issues more than talent. Seemed like they were only worried about the potential talent on the field and never really took into consideration how those players would blend as teammates or behave off the field. We hear a lot about this in Green Bay, the "high character" and "team chemistry" aspect. Now maybe some of that is just good public relations by Gute and MLF, but I think you are probably going to have more long term success when you build your team around it and make sure you are drafting and signing guys that fit the concept. McCarthy may have been brought into a toxic situation and to expect him to magically fix that in less than a season, especially with no preseason, would be asking too much.

Members online

Latest posts