The 2019 Dantés Draft Thread

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The game was just fine before replay, it would be again. Replay has not even come close to reducing controversy, if anything it has increased it.

It will never be a perfect game, and they aren’t getting it closer now either. There could have been 100 more flags yesterday if they wanted to. It will never end.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What and quadruple the pissing and moaning after games? Television and modern technology has almost forced this situation and the internet brings it front and center. When the casual viewer can see just how bad a call is missed, from many angles, frame by frame and zoomed in, " Just play the game, the bad calls all balance out just doesn't cut it". The Networks are finally settling in with the situation and using the stoppage to run commercials. I get peoples frustration having to wait a few minutes for the process, but personally I would rather "waste" those 2 minutes of my life, than hours discussing all the bad/missed calls that could have been corrected.

Ever since they switched to the Art McNally GameDay Central in New York to make the calls, I think they have done a good job at speeding things up AND being more accurate.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/inside-nfl-gameday-central/

I would be fine with keeping the same system in place, but allow a coach to use one of his challenges on other controversial calls (pass interference, roughing the passer, etc.) and by all means do away with the rule that if your challenge is a correct one, you are still penalized with a reduced # of challenges available.

They make new rules and review policies every year and nothing changes. This season was the worst I've ever seen in terms of refs destroying the integrity of the game and review did Jack **** to stop it. If they're going to blow it regardless why not just let the game move along?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They make new rules and review policies every year and nothing changes. This season was the worst I've ever seen in terms of refs destroying the integrity of the game and review did Jack **** to stop it. If they're going to blow it regardless why not just let the game move along?

I would disagree on "nothing changes" or the notion that a bunch of bad calls makes one ok and justifiable. While I don't watch a ton of games, I saw less controversy this year over "the catch rule" than in the past. So instead of ignoring it and saying "can't change it", they have finally at least made strides on getting it right with redefining the rules and using instant replay to get something right that often is difficult to do in a split second by a referee that may not have seen all the aspects clearly.

The biggest blown call yesterday was the "No PI" in the Saints game. A play that currently isn't reviewable, so doing away with instant replay wouldn't change that nor the opinions of millions of fans, players and officials who know it was a blown call. Now had it been reviewable and rightfully corrected, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion today. ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Any real fan of this league wants them to get it right. I was telling a friend yesterday I would rather lose a game and them get it right then win a game and them get it wrong. The current way of practice is destroying fan bases and the league.

There is absolutely zero excuse for a mulit-billion dollar business to have this crap show level of officiating. The NFL like it or not is becoming a bad product.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Although Football isn't a beauty contest or a figure skating event where "judging is more subjective", it does have aspects where human judgement is going to be involved and those calls are often harder to justify a correction. However, even figure skating has embraced looking at the film to make sure they got it right. I don't see anything wrong with a coach using a challenge on a play he feels is critical enough to get correct and to be able to challenge a single referees subjective or objective opinion on it.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would disagree on "nothing changes" or the notion that a bunch of bad calls makes one ok and justifiable. While I don't watch a ton of games, I saw less controversy this year over "the catch rule" than in the past. So instead of ignoring it and saying "can't change it", they have finally at least made strides on getting it right with redefining the rules and using instant replay to get something right that often is difficult to do in a split second by a referee that may not have seen all the aspects clearly.

The biggest blown call yesterday was the "No PI" in the Saints game. A play that currently isn't reviewable, so doing away with instant replay wouldn't change that nor the opinions of millions of fans, players and officials who know it was a blown call. Now had it been reviewable and rightfully corrected, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion today. ;)

I didn't mean that rules don't improve. I mean that for all the changes, the league still blows calls even with the benefit of replay.

But I realize it's an extreme position.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree on the pass completion definition causing less controversy. I thought 2 of the calls in the AFCCG were incorrect, even after the challenge.

There was a blown call when Michael Thomas ripped the helmet off the Ram DB. Ref was right there and saw it, but didn't call it. The guys on the radio were talking about the missed call on the Rams at the end of the game. It was obvious and I'm not sure how they missed it. They stated that it was a 2 second difference when the hit happened and when the ball got there. They said if it was bang bang, then they could understand missing it. But it was. Watching it in slow motion 20x distorted the timinig in their minds. I think the non call looks much worse in slo mo.

If we allow review of plays for PI and why not holding as long as we are at it, then every play can be overturned and fouls called. Every play there is contact between WR and CB and things look worse in slo mo. The game will suck.

Officiating isn't any worse than it ever was, its just that we have 4x as many cameras, they are much higher definition, and the slow motion effects just allows a greater degree of second guessing the refs.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I disagree on the pass completion definition causing less controversy. I thought 2 of the calls in the AFCCG were incorrect, even after the challenge.

There was a blown call when Michael Thomas ripped the helmet off the Ram DB. Ref was right there and saw it, but didn't call it. The guys on the radio were talking about the missed call on the Rams at the end of the game. It was obvious and I'm not sure how they missed it. They stated that it was a 2 second difference when the hit happened and when the ball got there. They said if it was bang bang, then they could understand missing it. But it was. Watching it in slow motion 20x distorted the timinig in their minds. I think the non call looks much worse in slo mo.

If we allow review of plays for PI and why not holding as long as we are at it, then every play can be overturned and fouls called. Every play there is contact between WR and CB and things look worse in slo mo. The game will suck.

Officiating isn't any worse than it ever was, its just that we have 4x as many cameras, they are much higher definition, and the slow motion effects just allows a greater degree of second guessing the refs.

Not sure about the 2 reviewed catches you are referring to, I remember one, that I thought could go either way.

As far as other penalties or calls that can't be reviewed, you may not have read or understood what I wrote. I am not if favor of reviewing every single play, every single player, but I would be in favor of continuing to allow coaches a limited number of challenges and if they want to use one on a subjective call like Pass Interference or roughing the passer, because they deem it critical, then so be it. Setting the parameters to "only these types of things are reviewable" is a mistake to me.

Of course they blew the no PI call yesterday against Nickell Robey-Coleman, but had Payton had the ability to challenge it, no doubt he would have, but he couldn't.

At least you agree with me on the effect technology has on how us fans now watch the game. :)

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing we saw yesterday, you don't need flashy receivers. Good coaching, Oline, TE, slot receiver, and a FULLBACK. Expensive pass rushers didn't win. My God, hire the NE Oline coach. I'm not a Pats fan but I admire what they do. We are watching greatness. They play a full 60 minute game, don't get rattled, and adjust to who they are playing better than anyone ever has. Those that didn't want McD, he's headed to another SB, ANOTHER.
ML, better produce.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
One thing we saw yesterday, you don't need flashy receivers. Good coaching, Oline, TE, slot receiver, and a FULLBACK. Expensive pass rushers didn't win. .

Your right. Having reffs that control the game in your favor trumps all of that. ;)

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jeremiah had some eyebrow raising picks in his first mock draft.

Josh Jacobs at #5
T.J. Hockenson at #8
Andre Dillard at #17

Those picks stood out to me. He always says his mocks are more about what he's hearing than how he actually ranks prospects.

Reaction score
So basically what we are saying is... this is an imperfect game ran by an imperfect league played by imperfect people officiated by imperfect referees who make imperfect calls commented on by imperfect fans like us? There ain’t enough cameras in the world!

Sorry I got a wee bit of smart aleck in me :x3:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So basically what we are saying is... this is an imperfect game ran by an imperfect league played by imperfect people officiated by imperfect referees who make imperfect calls commented on by imperfect fans like us? There ain’t enough cameras in the world!

Sorry I got a wee bit of smart aleck in me :x3:
I would edit the end to say: imperfect fans who demand perfectly refereed games.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jeremiah released his first top 50.

Whereas he bases his mocks on what he's hearing, his top 50 reflects his own assessments of prospects.

Notable:
  • Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama at #6
  • Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma at #9
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi at #11
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washingston State at #12
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida at #13
  • T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa, at #14
  • Jonah Williams, listed at OG, Alabama at #16
  • Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama, at #19
  • Clelin Ferrell, ED, Clemson at #22
  • Jachai Polite, ED, Florida at #26
  • Greedy Williams, CB, LSU at #34
  • Greg Little, OT, Mississippi State at #39
  • Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama, #42

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Jeremiah released his first top 50.

Whereas he bases his mocks on what he's hearing, his top 50 reflects his own assessments of prospects.

Notable:
  • Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama at #6
  • Marquise Brown, WR, Oklahoma at #9
  • D.K. Metcalf, WR, Mississippi at #11
  • Andre Dillard, OT, Washingston State at #12
  • Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida at #13
  • T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa, at #14
  • Jonah Williams, listed at OG, Alabama at #16
  • Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama, at #19
  • Clelin Ferrell, ED, Clemson at #22
  • Jachai Polite, ED, Florida at #26
  • Greedy Williams, CB, LSU at #34
  • Greg Little, OT, Mississippi State at #39
  • Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama, #42

Can you please stop with this Daniel Jeremiah crap like he some genius and draft god. The guy is a freakin idiot.

Marquise Brown as the 9th best player in the draft? Really?

Yeah, I am sure teams are gonna be running up to the podium to draft a 5"10 165 pound receiver with a top ten pick. What a tool this Jeremiah is.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, throw in 2-3 QBs early, Our 12 30 44 picks really loom large. We just have to hit these. 12 ferrell, white, or best OT.
At 30 Best OL if edge at 12...maybe Hockenson or Polite. 44 Hockenson for sure here, M. Brown or total stud Guard. How ever it goes, these picks need to be hit on and should be 2019 starters.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wow, throw in 2-3 QBs early, Our 12 30 44 picks really loom large. We just have to hit these. 12 ferrell, white, or best OT.
At 30 Best OL if edge at 12...maybe Hockenson or Polite. 44 Hockenson for sure here, M. Brown or total stud Guard. How ever it goes, these picks need to be hit on and should be 2019 starters.

Yeah, because Daniel Jeremiah said so. I expect things to shift a little but what he has is just ridiculous. This is the same idiot that had John Ross as a top 25 player and Sidney Jones as top 12.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can you please stop with this Daniel Jeremiah crap like he some genius and draft god. The guy is a freakin idiot.

Marquise Brown as the 9th best player in the draft? Really?

Yeah, I am sure teams are gonna be running up to the podium to draft a 5"10 165 pound receiver with a top ten pick. What a tool this Jeremiah is.

1) yesterday was the first time I posted anything of his this season.

2) he's a former NFL scout who has fielded real personnel jobs during his time in the media.

3) he is FAR preferable to reading your opinions.

4) you don't have to read it or anything in this thread for that matter (speaking of tools...)

5) this is what I mean when I talk about you throwing hissies over takes you don't like.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
1) yesterday was the first time I posted anything of his this season.

2) he's a former NFL scout who has fielded real personnel jobs during his time in the media.

3) he is FAR preferable to reading your opinions.

4) you don't have to read it or anything in this thread for that matter (speaking of tools...)

5) this is what I mean when I talk about you throwing hissies over takes you don't like.

Whatever, you post his "click bait garbage" every year and act like what he says is "gold". I've been attacked for liking Charlie Campbell so touche.

Putting Marquise Brown as the no.9 player overall should have that whole list burned.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Whatever, you post his "click bait garbage" every year and act like what he says is "gold". I've been attacked for liking Charlie Campbell so touche.

Putting Marquise Brown as the no.9 player overall should have that whole list burned.

Lol... I don't like Charlie Campbell but you don't see my coming unhinged if you mention him. Bring up whoever you want.

Yes, I really like Jeremiah. I also really like Brugler and Zierlein. As I can't get to the majority of prospects, I value the opinions of qualified people who watch them and post their assessments. And I disagree with all of them at times too.

I'm sorry that what I like to read is so hard for you. Here's hoping you can get over it.

Members online

Latest posts