2018 Season = Philosophy Change

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

First you're going to have to define "balanced roster." What constitutes that for you? Because the Patriots are completely one-sided. They are terrible on defense. I doubt they win a playoff game this year.

yea that Pats D is just terrible isn't it.... 24-0 today, qtr and 7 min. left in the third

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure about any of these RB's, with the exception of Montgomery. He's still converting from WR to RB, which is a huge challenge. I respect the hell out of him, he could be an elite change of pace guy. However, I really want a guy like Derrick Henry. He's a bully brawler, with deceptive speed. Any RB in that mold that can catch consistency out the backfield would be a nightmare along with AR12. I'm not sure about a QB for the future. I think having a veteran backup for at least the next three seasons would be great insurance. I'd rather have a replacement level backup than a kid just learning the system without any gametime experience. I like Hundley, I'm rooting for him. Watching him play, I would lock him up as a long term backup. HE IS NOT A STARTER!!! Clay Matthews isn't necessarily done, he is overvalued. I think if he bulked up and most importantly took a pay cut, he could be a situational DE/LB like James Harrison. I like Martinez at ILB, didn't like him last year, but he has grown considerably. Perry is solid, but only one man. Ted should go. Hold onto Capers and McCarthy, but the next GM should also have input on assistants and strength/conditioning coaches. I think McCarthy is loyal to his guys, to a fault.

Backups are never a problem, its when they become starters that the problems arise. You are fine with a guy like Hundley as a backup but you don't think he is a starter. Well in case you haven't noticed backups sometimes need to start. If you don't want a guy for your starter why in the world would you want him as your backup. I realize you wrote that prior to the Raven game so I am willing to let you change your mind.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since that SEC draft pick doesn't count, how about more recently, Ha Ha? Does he count as a draft pick from the SEC?

I don't know...Is he any good? If he is then no, he doesn't count. Only players that support the point count. You have been around here long enough Mondio. You should know that by now.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't quite cut through the sarcasm to know why the question was even posed. HaHa, much like Lacy, was really good for a couple of years, and now sucks. Whose viewpoint does that support?

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since that SEC draft pick doesn't count, how about more recently, Ha Ha? Does he count as a draft pick from the SEC?

Ha Ha was a "no brainer". He fulfilled a need. He checked all the boxes. H was a huge contributor to arguably the best defense ever in college football. Alabama could be in the MAC or any other conference. Everyone wants the best. At the time of the draft Ha Ha was one of the best in the nation, on the best defense, for the best team in football.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Sitton situation has been discussed to death around here and no definitive conclusion can be drawn as to all the reasons involved in his dimissal, however your characterization is speculation not fact. We do know that he was under contract for the year in which he was cut, therefore ... he did not choose to leave for more money... he was not given the choice.

If a player is in the last year of his NFL contract, he is essentially a restricted free agent. The team has all the power, all the leverage, the player has none. There was money that could've went to Sitton and/or Lang, the Packers rolled the dice, and looking at the current state of the O-Line, they lost. With a franchise QB, if you can, do not mess with the O-Line!!!

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL

First you're going to have to define "balanced roster." What constitutes that for you? Because the Patriots are completely one-sided. They are terrible on defense. I doubt they win a playoff game this year.

Have you looked at their defense lately? Belichick is a "svengali", a calculating coach, that is the best ever at refining the flaws of his team. The Pats defense is shaping into a playoff caliber squad, ready for the postseason.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a player is in the last year of his NFL contract, he is essentially a restricted free agent. The team has all the power, all the leverage, the player has none. There was money that could've went to Sitton and/or Lang, the Packers rolled the dice, and looking at the current state of the O-Line, they lost. With a franchise QB, if you can, do not mess with the O-Line!!!
You are out of touch and arguing yesterday's news.... I'm done following this conversation and your responses.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you looked at their defense lately? Belichick is a "svengali", a calculating coach, that is the best ever at refining the flaws of his team. The Pats defense is shaping into a playoff caliber squad, ready for the postseason.

They have a cupcake schedule for the most part. The best AFC team is Pittsburgh, hands down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are out of touch and arguing yesterday's news.... I'm done following this conversation and your responses.
it's worse than yesterday's news. Even yesterday most people can see that Sitton and Lang were more than adequately replaced. The play of our guards has not been an issue at all. Hasn't been since they were replaced, i'm not sure what news he's arguing at this point. It's one of the things that actually went right for us LOL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha Ha was a "no brainer". He fulfilled a need. He checked all the boxes. H was a huge contributor to arguably the best defense ever in college football. Alabama could be in the MAC or any other conference. Everyone wants the best. At the time of the draft Ha Ha was one of the best in the nation, on the best defense, for the best team in football.
so he does or doesn't pick players from the SEC?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
so he does or doesn't pick players from the SEC?
He doesn't except for the sure brainers which don't count.
When the Packers chose Auburn’s Montravius Adams and LSU’s Malachi Dupre in April’s draft, it marked the first time Thompson had picked any players from the SEC since Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in 2014. Thompson didn’t stop there, making safety Josh Jones of North Carolina State his first ACC selection since 2013 (Kevin Dorsey).
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...rn-flair-roster-2017-nfl-draft-sec-acc-pac-12

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
LOL

You have not been paying attention. Pats defense gave up 32 points per game for their first 4 games. The last 6 games the Pats defense have given up 13.2 points per game. Apparently Belicheat put his foot down after that 4th game. But, if you think that's a terrible defense, just what are the Packer putting on the field for defense?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's worse than yesterday's news. Even yesterday most people can see that Sitton and Lang were more than adequately replaced. The play of our guards has not been an issue at all. Hasn't been since they were replaced, i'm not suer what news he's arguing at this point. It's one of the things that actually went right for us LOL
Agreed .... and frankly the argument got turned on its head anyway. Originally he claimed that Sitton left voluntarily to "chase" the money.. and now he is lecturing me saying that "the team has all the power and the player has none". Obviously he just wants to preach... It's like a precocious child lecturing to a bunch of adults about some new truth that he believes is profound while the adults are just sitting there hoping that he grows up soon. ... In any case... I've put him on ignore so that I'm not tempted to keep it going lol.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I have no idea how I implied other teams would have paid him 15 million...

The point is deals are a two way street and the Packers can't just restructure deal without the player consenting. And as I said earlier, although Clay isn't elite anymore, he is a valuable part of the defense still.

TT keeps taking heat for Clay's deal, but his contract was a no-brainer at the time. The forum would have exploded if TT didn't resign him at the time.
You tell Clay either restructure or we're cutting you. He would restructure.

But it's all moot anyway. That's Rodgers' commercial buddy. It's a shame because that's money that could be better utilized. Spend a draft resource on someone to replace some of what Clay does, and then you have a ton of additional cap flexibility.

LOL

Like Raptorman alluded to, I'm not sure what Patriots defense you've been watching lately, but in their last 6 or 7 games they have been the best defense in football in terms of points allowed per game.

Hardly terrible. And considering that they will be hosting a playoff game, likely coming off of a bye week with Belichick having two weeks to prepare, yes. They are going to win a playoff game. Unless Brady completely loses it between now and then which is certainly possible.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he wouldn't take a paycut. Do you really think players are just cut outright? Especially those that have performed at a high level? There's always politics involved.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
i don't remember hearing anything about a pay cut. i did hear something about his attitude...but even if it was money, why ask him to take a pay cut? it's not like they needed the cap space. ted's thinking is very odd.

Members online

Latest posts