2018 Free Agents to Target

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think it's pretty clear, to most, Janis is not an NFL WR. Maybe in another system, another QB, he might see playing time. For as healthy as Janis has been in his 4 years at GB and as dinged up as the Packer WR group was during that time, he always seemed to be a last resort, that alone should tell you something. Janis had 50 snaps on offense in 2017, 42 of those after the Packers were knocked out of the playoffs. It also hasn't helped the Packers that TT seems to have whiffed on 5 of the last 6 WR's he has drafted.

As far as his special teams play, I think that he became less special last year with only 4 tackles and missing on 3 opportunities to recover mishandled fumbled punts. Kick returner? Think he is done doing that, 3 returns for a 14 yd average.

I would be shocked if he wasn't allowed to walk to test the market. He is only back in Green Bay at near vet minimum as nothing more than the last WR on the depth chart and a gunner and if another player steps up, he won't be on the final 53 in Sept.

D

Deleted member 6794

As far as his special teams play, I think that he became less special last year with only 4 tackles and missing on 3 opportunities to recover mishandled fumbled punts.

Janis didn't put up impressive numbers as a gunner last season but was consistently double teamed allowing others to make plays on punt coverage.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the offense created by McCarthy and Rodgers is difficult for any backup to run. This year showed me that all the rules must change in the offense when Rodgers is out for an extended period. That’s a huge disadvantage for us in that imo McCarthy isn’t very nimble in changing his thought processes.
That is one criticism of Mcarthy I can agree with. I think there are a lot of people in here trying to make the claim that he is a bad coach... I don't agree with that, but his unwillingness to change can sometimes be handicap. It can also be an advantage at times as well though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Janis didn't put up impressive numbers as a gunner last season but was consistently double teamed allowing others to make plays on punt coverage.

Not uncommon for the top gunner to be double teamed, also helped that we had a punter this year that had better hang time than Masthay did in previous years. That is a "visual guess", maybe you can confirm that with PFF stats Captain?

D

Deleted member 6794

Are you always serious or do you ever let loose a little and toss out a giggle? Maybe even a full out laugh?

Just curious.

I laugh a lot during the day about different stuff. It seems we have a different kind of humor as I believe you're not one bit funny though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not uncommon for the top gunner to be double teamed, also helped that we had a punter this year that had better hang time than Masthay did in previous years. That is a "visual guess", maybe you can confirm that with PFF stats Captain?

Sorry, Poker, I currently don't have a PFF subscription.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hang time is one stat that seems to not be reported in many spots. I read PFF does have it though, thus I thought that would confirm or rebutt my statement of Vogel having better hang time than Masthay.

I have read a few posters mention the need to find a "better" punter. I don't know, I was pretty happy with the rookie Vogel and hope he has nothing but an UDFA camp body to beat out.

BTW Captain, nice punt coverage by Janis on the punt shown here against the Cowboys.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/19/packers-rookie-review-p-justin-vogel/

D

Deleted member 6794

I have read a few posters mention the need to find a "better" punter. I don't know, I was pretty happy with the rookie Vogel and hope he has nothing but an UDFA camp body to beat out.

I agree that the Packers should enter next season with Vogel as their punter.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hang time is one stat that seems to not be reported in many spots. I read PFF does have it though, thus I thought that would confirm or rebutt my statement of Vogel having better hang time than Masthay.

BTW Captain, nice punt coverage by Janis on the punt shown here against the Cowboys.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/19/packers-rookie-review-p-justin-vogel/
I agree, I was happy with Vogel as well.
He passed the eye test for me.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it isn't going to matter much, though the Jags won a playoff game like that :) but I agree, exceptions don't prove rules i just felt like being a *******.

But Hundley didn't have only those types of performances in that game, it was horrendous and with even close to average QB play we win. he was kind of all over. I know QB play lost us some games, but everyone played their part. Where Thielen was going up and making crazy catches against the Saints for Keenum's jump balls, Jordy was dropping a pass right in his hands, perfectly thrown on a slant for a 1st down on a 3rd down play. Instead of 4 more plays, we punt. He should be better, but they all played their part.
I don't disagree with you often, but I have to take issue with one thing. You keep saying that the packers receivers didn't support Hundley and you keep referencing that second Vikings game. While you are correct about all the dropped passes in that game, I do not think it is a fair representation of how the season went. After Rodgers went down, the Packers were 4-1 and Hundley systematically lost enough games to put us effectively out of playoff contention. Yes we still had a small shot when Rodgers tried to come back, but after the Panthers game it was over. That second Vikings game was for nothing and all the players knew it. I'm not saying that I'm happy that the whole team quit, but I think they did. However, this is not in any way vindication for Hundley's attrocious play earlier in the season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that market value for Morgan Burnett is accurate, then he can walk. No thanks.
I agree... and I also expect to see big arguments next year when everybody comes out of the woodwork to say how stupid the Packers were to not pay him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree... and I also expect to see big arguments next year when everybody comes out of the woodwork to say how stupid the Packers were to not pay him.

The Packers should definitely try to re-sign Burnett to a reasonable deal. There's no way they should think about paying him $9+ million a season though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

or...if they do pay him....how stupid THAT was when he is underperforming that contract. :coffee:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree, but if the Packers don't resign him and he lands on one of those 24 teams you refer to, we will find out.

How many rookies and UDFA's have passed Janis on the depth chart since he has been here? Even with Hundley at QB, Clark passed him up. I still don't get this fan fascination with a guy that had 4 years to prove himself at WR and besides 101 yds via 2 hail marys, did very little else at WR.
I think he would have likely found his niche much earlier with a different QB. He’s very much like Bill Schroeder was in natural abilities except that Janis had even more football experience than Schroeder did coming in to the league. Many coaches would have ran him out there much earlier imo.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t see Burnett ever playing up to a $9 Million paycheck. Not ever. We need someone at safety that can cover outside of the numbers. Neither Burnett nor Dix can do that. That problem needs to get fixed before week 1.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
or...if they do pay him....how stupid THAT was when he is underperforming that contract. :coffee:

Hey, come on now, we are fans and we have the right to be wishy washy about things like this. We don't have to make sense or be rational. All we have to do is voice our opinions.