2018 Free Agents to Target

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he would have likely found his niche much earlier with a different QB. He’s very much like Bill Schroeder was in natural abilities except that Janis had even more football experience than Schroeder did coming in to the league. Many coaches would have ran him out there much earlier imo.

Janis might have played earlier with a different team but I highly doubt he would have been successful.

We need someone at safety that can cover outside of the numbers. Neither Burnett nor Dix can do that. That problem needs to get fixed before week 1.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of safeties available capable of performing at that level.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hey, come on now, we are fans and we have the right to be wishy washy about things like this. We don't have to make sense or be rational. All we have to do is voice our opinions.

I know that was tongue in cheek ;)

I love to chat about the good, the bad and the ugly, however people should be aware that this is part of the NFL and life in general and not look at it like they knew better each and every time a bad decision seems to have occured. Coaches, GM's and players are going to make mistakes and be wrong on hunches or best guesses based on information at the time. I have some football smarts, but I also acknowledge that I don't know squat when compared to the guys who do it everyday for a living.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Josh Sitton's option being declined. Now a FA. At 31, he's still really good. Bring him back?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Josh Sitton's option being declined. Now a FA. At 31, he's still really good. Bring him back?

As much as it makes sense, I doubt Sitton would want to come back to Green Bay. He wasn't very happy with the way things ended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wonder if Brian Cushing will be any good after serving his 2nd PED suspension. He was released by the Texans today.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That seems to make sense. Maybe TT no longer being in charge could help?

I think the bigger beef was with McCarthy. I recall Sitton making a comment about the play calling and McCarthy barked back something about "Josh needs to concentrate on playing guard and leaving the coaching to us".

There was also all the undertones of him being locker room cancer. But who knows how much was true. Packers found a good and cheaper replacement and let Sitton go.

From a pure football standpoint, Sitton would be awesome to have back.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that was tongue in cheek ;)

I love to chat about the good, the bad and the ugly, however people should be aware that this is part of the NFL and life in general and not look at it like they knew better each and every time a bad decision seems to have occured. Coaches, GM's and players are going to make mistakes and be wrong on hunches or best guesses based on information at the time. I have some football smarts, but I also acknowledge that I don't know squat when compared to the guys who do it everyday for a living.

I know, we are usually pretty much on the same page with maybe some minor disagreements.

Its like a guy predicting a certain player will be a bust just because he beat his team soundly for the past three seasons in college. He has no idea but he is just hoping. If he is right he will be back to crow about it but if he is wrong he usually just forgets he said anything. He may have guessed right but most of the time that is all it was was a guess.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wonder if Brian Cushing will be any good after serving his 2nd PED suspension. He was released by the Texans today.
I'd only take him cheap and even at that. He's only good on the juice and after this many years he'll either be very average if he's not. Maybe. and if he is the odds are he gets caught or gets injured, so I'd rather not have much invested in a guy like that. I know a lot of guys get away with it to a degree, but he's always seemed like a guy that has needed to be on it a lot to be effective. it takes its toll

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always did like Sitton, especially because I had to take such care when calling him by first and last name after a few beers. he did need to just shut his mouth and play football. He's a man, he knows if he's going to say stuff, i'm sure he can understand when a coach tells him to worry about his own job he's man enough to understand. I certainly wouldn't be investing much in him, i don't think many will, so i think there is a better than decent chance he could find himself back in GB.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers shouldn't be interested in signing Cushing. Martinez and Jones could turn into a decent rotation playing the position.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always did like Sitton, especially because I had to take such care when calling him by first and last name after a few beers. he did need to just shut his mouth and play football. He's a man, he knows if he's going to say stuff, i'm sure he can understand when a coach tells him to worry about his own job he's man enough to understand. I certainly wouldn't be investing much in him, i don't think many will, so i think there is a better than decent chance he could find himself back in GB.

I'm not so sure Sitton will be cheap.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't be 700K dollars cheap, but I could see 2-3 million decent deal. I don't think he'll get 6-7 or more from anyone. Not in real paid out money anyway.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't be 700K dollars cheap, but I could see 2-3 million decent deal. I don't think he'll get 6-7 or more from anyone. Not in real paid out money anyway.

He's gonna get a lot more then a couple million.

4-5 at least I bet.

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s my wish list in no specific order

G: Justin Pugh,
CB: Kyle Fuller, Mo Claiborne, Sam Shields for cheap?
TE: Graham, Burton, Eifert for cheap?
DL: Ngata for some veteran depth behind Clark

Reaction score
at CB I like Patrick Robinson because he’s another value pick that shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. I think we can steal him from the Eagles on a short multi year deal (2Yrs)
He made 1M last year but his value went up considerably because he hit his stride last season.

at OLB I like Trent Murphy, while he was out with an injury last year, I feel like he was just coming into his own. Again, there is some injury risk but that goes with much of the league. I think he's another player that fits into the "value" category. Moderate to low risk injury and salary but moderate to high upside production

at QB I like Josh McCown. While he is up there in age, he has shown adaptability to work with multiple offenses with moderate to good production in the later seasons. He wears well.
I don't think he would break the bank on a short term deal. I believe he's entirely capable of coming in on short notice to win .500 or better of our games for us in a contingency situation. This also gives us a chance to grab a project QB later in the draft without expecting immediate results

I feel like all of these guys fit well within our salary cap but offer upgrades in areas we need, pass rush, a contingency plan and competition at QB and pass coverage. While TE is well within the top 4 most pressing needs, I'm not entirely comfortable with most prospects that are available in FA this year value wise (I'm probably a little gun-shy too) Unless we are able to just plain steal someone I feel like we should hit TE hard in the draft. I'd like to go after one of the top 5 TE prospects second day draft, even if we need to trade up several spots with a compensatory pick in round 2 or 3 to box someone out. Then I'd like to see us hit TE again before round 6 to give us some competition in that arena. I'm also signing RR to another short term deal, he's a reliable backup that's a move the chains and RZ threat with good size and reliable hands.

I'm not interested in doing a rebuild and letting all our current players walk. I wouldn't allow more than 1 current high end Veteran (Cobb, Jordy, Bulaga, Clay etc..) to walk and that would only be after offering a fair restructure

Last edited:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers should definitely take a hard look at Aaron Colvin.

Jags are expected to let him go, he's a good CB.

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also hope we give Connor Barwin another look this year. Really wanted him last year when he went to LA. Would be a nice solid third option behind Perry and Matthews. With Beigel, Fackrell, Odom, and Gilbert I don’t think we would HAVE to draft an edge rusher even though I would still hope we would.

Reaction score
Could also be good to go OLB because it would allow us to hit ILB or CB/ S early Draft depending on what happens with Morgan

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pass rush situation has to be addressed one way or another, and that's a fact.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here’s my wish list in no specific order

G: Justin Pugh,
CB: Kyle Fuller, Mo Claiborne, Sam Shields for cheap?
TE: Graham, Burton, Eifert for cheap?
DL: Ngata for some veteran depth behind Clark

I don't even want Shields to be playing in local flag football games let alone in the NFL. Pugh and Ngata are creative thoughts.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The guy is a hot head. I don't think he'd be excited to come to Green Bay, Wisconsin. Also he's old and has missed a lot of time in 2012, 2013, and 2017.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts