2018 Free Agents to Target

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Broncos have Trevor Siemian on the block. I might think about offering a conditional 7th or so to lock down the QB2 spot on the cheap. You could then draft someone in the middle rounds to develop into a cheap longer term backup.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here’s my wish list in no specific order

G: Justin Pugh,
CB: Kyle Fuller, Mo Claiborne, Sam Shields for cheap?
TE: Graham, Burton, Eifert for cheap?
DL: Ngata for some veteran depth behind Clark

Shields should definitely not play anymore. The Packers don't need to address guard and defensive line in free agency.

I feel like all of these guys fit well within our salary cap but offer upgrades in areas we need, pass rush, a contingency plan and competition at QB and pass coverage. While TE is well within the top 4 most pressing needs, I'm not entirely comfortable with most prospects that are available in FA this year value wise (I'm probably a little gun-shy too) Unless we are able to just plain steal someone I feel like we should hit TE hard in the draft. I'd like to go after one of the top 5 TE prospects second day draft, even if we need to trade up several spots with a compensatory pick in round 2 or 3 to box someone out. Then I'd like to see us hit TE again before round 6 to give us some competition in that arena. I'm also signing RR to another short term deal, he's a reliable backup that's a move the chains and RZ threat with good size and reliable hands.

While I like your suggestions for free agency the Packers should try to upgrade tight end with a veteran as well. It normally takes rookies several seasons to have an impact at the position in the NFL.

I also hope we give Connor Barwin another look this year. Really wanted him last year when he went to LA. Would be a nice solid third option behind Perry and Matthews. With Beigel, Fackrell, Odom, and Gilbert I don’t think we would HAVE to draft an edge rusher even though I would still hope we would.

PFF ranked Barwin as one of the worst edge defenders in the league last season. The Packers were smart on passing on him in 2017 and shouldn't think about signing him this time around.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Broncos have Trevor Siemian on the block. I might think about offering a conditional 7th or so to lock down the QB2 spot on the cheap. You could then draft someone in the middle rounds to develop into a cheap longer term backup.

The Broncos are a team not short on talent, except at the QB position. If Siemian was not good enough in Denver, there's no reason to think he'd be good enough in Green Bay.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Broncos are a team not short on talent, except at the QB position. If Siemian was not good enough in Denver, there's no reason to think he'd be good enough in Green Bay.

Disagree. One could debate the skill positions, but DEN has had a trash OL, and GB generally has one in the top 5 conversation.

Reaction score
While I like your suggestions for free agency the Packers should try to upgrade tight end with a veteran as well.
You’re exactly right. I think I’m suffering from separation anxiety as TE has been a revolving door. Some of our best TE prospects have not made it to mid season without bailing out or a career ending injury.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donte Moncrief would make a great free agent pickup.

I like Moncrief, but WR is a position GB could address in the draft and get an immediate yield. I'd prefer the Pack to address defensive deficiencies in free agency, particularly at corner, as that generally has a steeper learning curve.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Moncrief, but WR is a position GB could address in the draft and get an immediate yield. I'd prefer the Pack to address defensive deficiencies in free agency, particularly at corner, as that generally has a steeper learning curve.

Depends on where they address it. They haven't been getting much immediate yield with the WRs they have chosen lately. Moncrief could come in and be your #2 WR immediately (depending on who else is on your roster) and while they could probably make that happen with a rookie they would have to address it pretty high in the draft. None of this 5th, 6th, 7th round potential and hope stuff. Not that I would be opposed to going WR with a day 1 or 2 pick.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

When looking at Moncrief's time as a Colt and the state of their QB position during that time, I have to think the upside on him could be big. This is the kind of guy who could flourish with #12.

If Cobb won't renegotiate, cut him, move Jordy to the slot and sign Moncrief. Then use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a WR and the Packer receiving corp could be solid for a number of years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Disagree. One could debate the skill positions, but DEN has had a trash OL, and GB generally has one in the top 5 conversation.

Siemian might present a decent option for the Packers. While he has definitely struggled at times his record as a starter is over .500 (13-11). That's all the Packers need out of their backup.

Moncrief hasn't put up decent numbers with Luck throwing him the ball either though. I would prefer the Packers to pass on him.

I'd prefer the Pack to address defensive deficiencies in free agency, particularly at corner, as that generally has a steeper learning curve.

There's a steep learning curve playing wide receiver in Green Bay as well.

Julius Thomas is going to be cut, what's the latest on him?

Thomas has significantly regressed over the past few years. There's no reason for the Packers to sign him.

scrummymustard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Julius Thomas is NOT someone to get excited about. He has put up over 500 yards in his career only 1 time, and that was 2013. He's never played 16 games in his career either.

He has two 12 TD seasons but the last one was 4 years ago.

He's done next to nothing the last 3 years, he'd be a worse signing than MartyB.

I want Graham at TE, he's still put up stats in a dismal offense, would be awesome with Arod, and has only missed 7 games in his entire career. The patellar injury he suffered in 2015 ended nearly everyone's career before him, but he came back in 10 months and made back to back pro bowls. He would finally solidify the position that hasn't been able to work out since Finley retired.

He's so good in the red zone.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There really isn’t to many eye popping names out there for free agents I’m more curious to see who is gonna come from cap casualties.. I like fuller he makes a lot of sense for us vs us overpaying for Trumaine Johnson... still wished it was us that got peters.. probly next to nothing too.... Eric Reid could be a fit. I’m gonna be ok with Green Bay letting Burnett go cuz I don’t wanna overpay for him it’s time for new faces yeah he has been reliable etc but our defense has sucked for to long something’s gotta give.. I just don’t expect our defense to be this powerhouse d just cuz we got a new DC.. we are in no position to sign a bunch of people unless Gutey starts pulling trades off or something I really have no idea how things are gonna shake out

D

Deleted member 6794

I want Graham at TE, he's still put up stats in a dismal offense, would be awesome with Arod, and has only missed 7 games in his entire career. The patellar injury he suffered in 2015 ended nearly everyone's career before him, but he came back in 10 months and made back to back pro bowls. He would finally solidify the position that hasn't been able to work out since Finley retired.

Graham has regressed over the past few seasons as well but will most likely ask for significant money in free agency. The Packers most likely won't have enough cap space to sign him.

Without significant restructuring and or cuts, we can’t do much. Don’t forget at some point 10 + mil is going to #12. Maybe not this year but at least next.

It's possible to structure Rodgers' contract in a way that his cap hit won't increase significantly over the next two years.

Geronimo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all agree on a few things, and disagree on many things.

We agree on: We need to get better, and fast. Not in 3 years of developing new rookies hoping they pan out into Davante and Jordy and Collins and Sitton and Bakhtiari types, and not like Datone, Hundley, Brohm, Pat Lee, Justin Harrell, Khyrie Thornton, Terrell Manning, Jaron McMillian, etc.

We signed 4 veteran UFA's last year.

I say we up it by 1 this year with the new more aggressive GM.
What positions take a rookie awhile to blossom into being good? Definitely tight end. And for us, definitely CB.

Add 2 TEs and 2 CBs in free agency.
And there are MANY who are available and won't break the bank. Forget Jimmy Graham. He's old. He will cost too much.

Options:

TE
-Gary Barnidge -had a great year a few years ago even on Cleveland, and his TE coach that year is now with the Packers. Makes sense.
-Tyler Eifert -obviously ultra-talented, also often injured. But so was Charles Woodson before the Pack got him. Eifert won't command a big long term deal, but a 1 or 2-year prove-it type of deal could pay huge dividends.
-Troy Niklas -4 years ago, he was a popular mock guy to the Packers late rd 1. Arizona took him early Rd 2, and he's also had a handful of injuries that cost him a lot of time. None are knee injuries. He's had a hernia, and hand surgery. I think his upside is so much this could be a quiet bargain.
-Maxx Williams -Same thing, a few years ago many had him as a Packer 1st rd pick in their mocks. He's languished in Baltimore with not-elite Flacco. He could be had cheap... I don't know if his contract is up, but it wouldn't take one of our higher picks to pluck him away from Baltimore IMO. We have 12 to use. Better to use a 6th, or 5th, even a 4th IMO on him then a rookie TE project with lesser talent than big Maxx.
-Luke Wilsson, Seattle -He's hurt us before. He's got more speed than any of our TEs in a long time. And he will be pretty cheap.

All these guys are much much better options than any TE we would draft. Perhaps a rookie will become good, an asset, by the 2020 season. These guys can help now. We need instant help now.

CB
Many, and doesn't have to be the big name Trumaine Johnson or the overhyped Malcolm Butler.
The Rams and Bills each have some good CBs who would immediately be our 2nd or 1st best CB IMO.

Brett Favre. Reggie White. Charles Woodson. 3 of the best 4 Packers of the last 3 decades. None drafted by the Packers.
Also could, should have added Randy Moss in 2007, and Marshawn Lynch in 2010. Thompson blew those 2 on silver platters, and NE and Seattle took advantage.

But don't forget guys like Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Don Beebe, Andre Rison, Keith Jackson, etc. Veterans who wanted a ring.
These are the types of veteran additions we need to add now.
Fill holes with veterans who are playing for a ring.

Then use the draft to try and find true best talents available.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they sign 2 FA TE's. Still have Kendricks, and as disappointed as I was in his season, he has the same potential as the guys on the list now. SLightly different skill sets across the players, but on a general production level, they're all pretty similar other than Eifert, but I bet he gets more and has injury concerns. Maybe 1 FA TE and draft. I think Kendricks is capable of more, we do need another TE and some guys to develop, but i do not think they are going to sign 2 FA TE's, unless you're counting a re-sign of R. Rodgers which would give you dependable and cheap option. We do need TE's, but I'm not seeing any great answers out there in FA.

I would love a FA DB, maybe 2 and draft another. I'd be fine with a guy like house on a rotational level, but one that stays healthy. He never has for us, not in his first stint, or his second.

If you're including Jones, Dotson, Beebe, Rison, Jackson, White, etc, you have to realize that those times ended across the league a long time ago. FA is an entirely different animal now than then. it's not coming back unless the cap goes away. Which it is not.

Geronimo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think they sign 2 FA TE's. Still have Kendricks, and as disappointed as I was in his season, he has the same potential as the guys on the list now. SLightly different skill sets across the players, but on a general production level, they're all pretty similar other than Eifert, but I bet he gets more and has injury concerns. Maybe 1 FA TE and draft. I think Kendricks is capable of more, we do need another TE and some guys to develop, but i do not think they are going to sign 2 FA TE's, unless you're counting a re-sign of R. Rodgers which would give you dependable and cheap option. We do need TE's, but I'm not seeing any great answers out there in FA.

I would love a FA DB, maybe 2 and draft another. I'd be fine with a guy like house on a rotational level, but one that stays healthy. He never has for us, not in his first stint, or his second.

If you're including Jones, Dotson, Beebe, Rison, Jackson, White, etc, you have to realize that those times ended across the league a long time ago. FA is an entirely different animal now than then. it's not coming back unless the cap goes away. Which it is not.
Beebe, Santana, old Sean Jones, Rison didn't break banks. Just Reggie did (4 yr, 17m)... pieces not franchise anchors.

Richard Rodgers stays.
Kendricks was horrible and I was excited to get him. I was not excited to get Martellus as I knew he was an A******.
Sign one FA then and use a decent pick on a TE that they really believe can blossom into a starter in 2, 3 years.

CBs, we need to give Pettine some veterans who have at least 3, 4, 5 years under their belt. Don't need to give him All-Pros, just competent guys who've seen the league for awhile.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As much as I want to see a Pro Bowl TE in GB in 2018, I think the FA pickings are rather slim and hope the Packers don't "panic" and try to overpay a guy like Graham. This might be the year to use a relatively high pick on a TE, move forward with Kendricks, Rodgers or a mid priced free agent and a rookie and hope for the best.

D

Deleted member 6794

Add 2 TEs and 2 CBs in free agency.
And there are MANY who are available and won't break the bank. Forget Jimmy Graham. He's old. He will cost too much.

Options:

TE
-Gary Barnidge -had a great year a few years ago even on Cleveland, and his TE coach that year is now with the Packers. Makes sense.
-Tyler Eifert -obviously ultra-talented, also often injured. But so was Charles Woodson before the Pack got him. Eifert won't command a big long term deal, but a 1 or 2-year prove-it type of deal could pay huge dividends.
-Troy Niklas -4 years ago, he was a popular mock guy to the Packers late rd 1. Arizona took him early Rd 2, and he's also had a handful of injuries that cost him a lot of time. None are knee injuries. He's had a hernia, and hand surgery. I think his upside is so much this could be a quiet bargain.
-Maxx Williams -Same thing, a few years ago many had him as a Packer 1st rd pick in their mocks. He's languished in Baltimore with not-elite Flacco. He could be had cheap... I don't know if his contract is up, but it wouldn't take one of our higher picks to pluck him away from Baltimore IMO. We have 12 to use. Better to use a 6th, or 5th, even a 4th IMO on him then a rookie TE project with lesser talent than big Maxx.
-Luke Wilsson, Seattle -He's hurt us before. He's got more speed than any of our TEs in a long time. And he will be pretty cheap.

All these guys are much much better options than any TE we would draft. Perhaps a rookie will become good, an asset, by the 2020 season. These guys can help now. We need instant help now.

I agree the Packers should address tight end with a free agent but don't believe any of the players you mentioned would present an upgrade over Kendricks or Rodgers.

In my opinion Gutekunst should try to sign Trey Burton to a reasonable deal to upgrade the position.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion Gutekunst should try to sign Trey Burton to a reasonable deal to upgrade the position.
If the Packers are going to try to improve the TE position via free agency, Burton would be my choice as well. Unfortunately, the TE FA market is pretty slim pickings of top players this year and he as well as Graham will probably be overpaid as a result. This might be the year the Packers should spend a 2nd or 3rd rounder on what appears to be a pretty solid group to choose from.