2018 Draft Redo

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking to me like we should have sat tight at 14 and took Derwin James. The man looks like an uber stud even as a rookie.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How can we begin to assess the move without knowing who we get with New Orleans' pick?

Jaire Alexander looks like a stud in his own right, plus we will have an extra pick somewhere from 25-32. Derwin is awesome, but I still take our end of it.

Reaction score
Derwin James looks like he’s been in the NFL for 5 years and competing for a Probowl spot. He’s completely in control of his position and he’s a natural leader.
I guess we did pretty good with Alexander and it was pretty smart getting another 5th year player option in 2019. We’re going to this extra desperately even if it’s 32nd. I predict the Saints get knocked out of the Champuonship game and we pick #29th. I don’t think there’s a player alive that could’ve turned this season around though.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can we begin to assess the move without knowing who we get with New Orleans' pick?

Jaire Alexander looks like a stud in his own right, plus we will have an extra pick somewhere from 25-32. Derwin is awesome, but I still take our end of it.
You are right. We need to wait on the extra first rounder. Alexander does look special, just hope he can stay on the field.

The pressure is on from hindsight critical armchair GMs. The 3 players we passed on, Edmunds, James, and Davenport, all look to be very good.

But as for right now, with benefit of hindsight, I'm taking James. Part of that is the loss of Haha. At the time I wanted to sit tight and take Edmunds.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You are right. We need to wait on the extra first rounder. Alexander does look special, just hope he can stay on the field.

The pressure is on from hindsight critical armchair GMs. The 3 players we passed on, Edmunds, James, and Davenport, all look to be very good.

But as for right now, with benefit of hindsight, I'm taking James. Part of that is the loss of Haha. At the time I wanted to sit tight and take Edmunds.

Just conjecture, but if Alexander is a Pro Bowl cornerback and they find, say, a good starting right tackle for the next decade with the Saints' pick, then I think I have to take that even over an All-Pro safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just conjecture, but if Alexander is a Pro Bowl cornerback and they find, say, a good starting right tackle for the next decade with the Saints' pick, then I think I have to take that even over an All-Pro safety.

It's possible Alexander develops into an All-Pro player as well. If he doesn't I would have preferred James over him and another decent player though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hind site and in a bubble debates are always a bit odd to me, fun fodder, but always just conjecture. Would the Packers have even selected James had they not traded back? If they did, would James be the same player in the Packer system as he is with the Chargers, anyone remember Casey Hayward? We could be sitting here today questioning why James was selected by the Packers, had he not had much of a rookie year with the Packers.

I don't think Safety was high on Gute's needs list at the time, heck he didn't even take one in the draft, unless you consider Jackson that pick? If I am doing it over today, I still make the move Gute made and take my chances with JA and the Saints first round pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hind site and in a bubble debates are always a bit odd to me, fun fodder, but always just conjecture. Would the Packers have even selected James had they not traded back? If they did, would James be the same player in the Packer system as he is with the Chargers, anyone remember Casey Hayward?

I don't think Safety was high on Gute's needs list at the time, heck he didn't even take one in the draft, unless you consider Jackson that pick? If I am doing it over today, I still make the move Gute made and take my chances with JA and the Saints first round pick.

There were some posters including myself complaining about the Packers passing on James immediately after the draft. Therefore it's not using hindsight to question the move.

I agree there's no guarantee he would have performed at the same level in Green Bay though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There were some posters including myself complaining about the Packers passing on James immediately after the draft. Therefore it's not using hindsight to question the move.

I agree there's no guarantee he would have performed at the same level in Green Bay though.

No doubt and guessing there would have been some questioning the move to draft James at the time, had they known what we could have got (JA + 1st rd) and also given the need at CB. Just imagine the Packer secondary this season without JA, hind site I know :) I think you and several others have said this many times and I agree with it, the value of a solid CB is greater than the value of a solid S and I think in the long run, I still like JA and that 1st round all Pro Stud we will draft in 2019. Hey I can use conjecture too right? :D

I also think the time frame is too short and as some pointed out, incomplete until you know what that 2019 pick brings. I can think of many other players and whole drafts I would like a "redo" on and this pick is pretty low on that list.

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt and guessing there would have been some questioning the move to draft James at the time, had they known what we could have got (JA + 1st rd) and also given the need at CB. Just imagine the Packer secondary this season without JA, hind site I know :) I think you and several others have said this many times and I agree with it, the value of a solid CB is greater than the value of a solid S and I think in the long run, I still like JA and that 1st round all Pro Stud we will draft in 2019. Hey I can use conjecture too right? :D

I also think the time frame is too short and as some pointed out, incomplete until you know what that 2019 pick brings. I can think of many other players and whole drafts I would like a "redo" on and this pick is pretty low on that list.

I'm definitely not mad about the Packers having ended up drafting Alexander, especially considering they received an extra first round pick in return. I was convinced James being a prospect capable of developing into an elite player though and was therefore disappointed the team passed on him.

While cornerback is without a doubt a more important position than safety having a guy like Collins back there would be a huge improvement for the secondary.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point if we had James and he was playing for us like he is the Chargers I’d be pretty pleased. Same as I'd be happy with just Alexander. He’s going to be a special player at a premium position. Regardless of what happens with the extra pick I’m happy with Alexadender.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is only a bad thing if used to criticize. I'm not criticizing, I think Gute made some great moves and Alexander is a bona fide great pick. I fully expected NO to not be as good this season and that pick to be in early 20s.

If I was in charge I would have stayed and taken Edmunds.

If I was in charge and had the benefit of hindsight, I would have taken James. He isbetter, IMHO, than just an Allpro. He is a tone setter/playmaker who can be one of a few true defensive superstars in this league.

to be fair, I was a strong advocate of 5T Raheem Green in the 3rd. He went to Seattle with our pick. So, we have to judge, James and Green vrs Alexander and whoever with NOs pick.

Green, BTW, looked great early, but hasn't done much since. He was a healthy inactive last week. But DL usually take longer to make an impact.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
My FAR TO EARLY 2018 NFL Draft looks like this:

Keep that trade the way it is. I LOVE Alexander. A corner with shut down potential is more valuable than a safety.
1-18: Jaire Alexander
2-13: Donte Jackson
3-24: Keke Coutee
4-33: Maurice Hurst
5-1: Tre Flowers
5-35: JK Scott- Showed glimpses of stud
5-37: MVS- Great guy to pick up in the end of the 5th
6-33: EQ- Same as above
7-14, 7-21, 7-30: Can’t really make a judgement here, besides I would certainly take Hunter Bradley. Would like to have seen Phillip Lindsay here, but who would have known how bad Ty Montgomery would pan out?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hind site and in a bubble debates are always a bit odd to me, fun fodder, but always just conjecture. Would the Packers have even selected James had they not traded back? If they did, would James be the same player in the Packer system as he is with the Chargers, anyone remember Casey Hayward? We could be sitting here today questioning why James was selected by the Packers, had he not had much of a rookie year with the Packers.

Yeah hindsight is 20/20. But even IF James was available at #18, I’m guessing Gluten still takes Alexander. The Safety Group wasn’t a concern going into the draft. Alexander certainly has played well and has repeat All-Pro written all over him. And with that second pick in 2019 (or the first), we can hopefully get a starting RG or RT, something desperately needed. I’m ok with the draft and not as concerned about who we didn’t take as opposed to who we did take. I thought Burks would play much better, and maybe he will. Couldn’t have known that Cole Madison wasn’t going to show up, and we got at least two very good rookie WRs. Not bad at all really.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point if we had James and he was playing for us like he is the Chargers I’d be pretty pleased. Same as I'd be happy with just Alexander. He’s going to be a special player at a premium position. Regardless of what happens with the extra pick I’m happy with Alexadender.
The selection of Alexander looks much better when you consider previous drafts for CB - Randall, Rollins, maybe King. Alexander is the real thing, and other than Ward, the best CB in the draft. But I admit, he wasn’t on my radar. I was looking for Davenport and thought he’d be there at 18. And then the Saints called......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

CB was the right call with the first pick. I didn’t even have Alexander on my radar and thought we would take Davenport. It ended just fine, but the story has yet to be told. I expect Alexander to be a perennial All-Pro.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My FAR TO EARLY 2018 NFL Draft looks like this:

Keep that trade the way it is. I LOVE Alexander. A corner with shut down potential is more valuable than a safety.
1-18: Jaire Alexander
2-13: Donte Jackson
3-24: Keke Coutee
4-33: Maurice Hurst
5-1: Tre Flowers
5-35: JK Scott- Showed glimpses of stud
5-37: MVS- Great guy to pick up in the end of the 5th
6-33: EQ- Same as above
7-14, 7-21, 7-30: Can’t really make a judgement here, besides I would certainly take Hunter Bradley. Would like to have seen Phillip Lindsay here, but who would have known how bad Ty Montgomery would pan out?

If you get Jackson and Flowers later then the pick to have been made is Darius Leonard in 1st.

Reaction score
The Other thing we progably didn’t count on was having the Saints steamrolling this year. I’m thinking we expected a mid 20’s pick maybe lower with some luck. Now we’re praying we’re not picking last! Dang

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The Other thing we progably didn’t count on was having the Saints steamrolling this year. I’m thinking we expected a mid 20’s pick maybe lower with some luck. Now we’re praying we’re not picking last! Dang

It's still a top 32 pick. Throw that on top of our own 10-14 1st and were looking good with an extra 4th from skins too. There is no excuse for Gute not to make it work.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was an Alexander fan and thought he would be the pick at 14. I just didnt think James and Edmunds would be there as well. Knowing I could trade back, still get Jaire, and trade a 3rd for a future pick - would have not thought it possible.

Reaction score
I was also surprised we traded back. But looking back now there wasn’t a player in this draft who could’ve replaced J’aire and turned this flailing team around. I knew the minute Aaron got hurt in the 1sf half of the very first game? this year would be a disappointment. We were fighting an uphill battle day 1 and kinda got robbed of a complete season with that injury.
Sometimes adversity is God’s way of pushing us into another direction. The sooner we accept the change and roll with it, the sooner we are open to making changes that better our situation. The short term is important but balancing that with a mid-long term strategy is every bit as important too.
I still believe we are one of several teams that are several playmakers from being right back in the thick of the playoffs.

As bad as GB looked I believe 33% of our issue in 2018 was poor discipline. I saw a largely sloppy undisciplined team that needs better position coaching. That’s very fixable and we must improve. Add to that 2 more solid playmakers on each side of the ball and maybe a rookie or 2 that shows up to play (think J’aire his rookie season). I love his fire! Even when he should’ve been burned by his opponent, he acts like he’s in control. He believes in himself. We need more of that.
We have more draft capital this year than we’ve had in over a decade. 10 picks with 6 inside the 4th round? With some good fortune and some better prospecting, this draft has the potential to produce those 3-4 players that rise to the occasion.
Plus a few restructured contracts and letting a few underwhelming vets go and we suddenly have 50M+ to work with. That’s enough to go get 3-4 dynamic veteran playmakers and come into 2019 with a bang.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I was also surprised we traded back. But looking back now there wasn’t a player in this draft who could’ve replaced J’aire and turned this flailing team around. I knew the minute Aaron got hurt in the 1sf half of the very first game? this year would be a disappointment. We were fighting an uphill battle day 1 and kinda got robbed of a complete season with that injury.
Sometimes adversity is God’s way of pushing us into another direction. The sooner we accept the change and roll with it, the sooner we are open to making changes that better our situation. The short term is important but balancing that with a mid-long term strategy is every bit as important too.
I still believe we are one of several teams that are several playmakers from being right back in the thick of the playoffs.

As bad as GB looked I believe 33% of our issue in 2018 was poor discipline. I saw a largely sloppy undisciplined team that needs better position coaching. That’s very fixable and we must improve. Add to that 2 more solid playmakers on each side of the ball and maybe a rookie or 2 that shows up to play (think J’aire his rookie season). I love his fire! Even when he should’ve been burned by his opponent, he acts like he’s in control. He believes in himself. We need more of that.
We have more draft capital this year than we’ve had in over a decade. 10 picks with 6 inside the 4th round? With some good fortune and some better prospecting, this draft has the potential to produce those 3-4 players that rise to the occasion.
Plus a few restructured contracts and letting a few underwhelming vets go and we suddenly have 50M+ to work with. That’s enough to go get 3-4 dynamic veteran playmakers and come into 2019 with a bang.

He has the picks and about 50 mill to spend if the right cuts are made. It's a dream situation.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team currently sitting at 5-8-1 beause of a lack of talent isn't a dream scenario though.

If the new front office can draft well that lack of talent will be fixed relatively quickly. At least enough so to make the team a perennial playoff team and thus contender for the rest of Rodgers contract. I think they have enough capitol to get it done this off season if they make just a couple key free agent moves. If you can get 2 above average starters out of free agency I like the 2019 teams chances. Add another 2 day one starters in the draft and they're well on the way to the playoffs.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the new front office can draft well that lack of talent will be fixed relatively quickly. At least enough so to make the team a perennial playoff team and thus contender for the rest of Rodgers contract. I think they have enough capitol to get it done this off season if they make just a couple key free agent moves. If you can get 2 above average starters out of free agency I like the 2019 teams chances. Add another 2 day one starters in the draft and they're well on the way to the playoffs.

I agree the Packers can turn it around this offseason but while they have a ton of draft picks and a decent amount of cap space it's far from a dream situation to be in.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts