2018 draft pick.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What blind love?

I call out bad decisions, I call out good decisions. Fackrell is awful. Our TE situation sucks. Our secondary needs help. We need a nickel or three down LB. We need another good WR. Jordy is overrated. Cobb is a slot WR that's losing his quickness. Our defensive coaching is awful, and our offensive coaching is antiquated. We desperately need another good pass rusher.

With that said, we have a lot of good pieces too. Our OL is very good and we developed a lot of good backups this year. Rodgers is elite. Clark and Daniels provide an excellent interior rush. Perry and CM3 are good when healthy. We have good RB's. Adams is a top tier WR. We do have some good secondary pieces. Martinez is a very good ILB, and Jake Ryan isn't bad either. We actually have good DL depth.

If that statement makes me full of "blind love" then I'm a free loving hippy baby.

There are some pieces but we need a Sean Mcvay Rams type transformation to have the total package and be serious contenders. We need a younger mind open to doing things differently then "same old same old". Thompson is standing in the way and is literally holding us all hostage with his old stale approach. This is 2018! Let's be "Trendsetters" with our generational QB instead of "old hat" and simply hanging on for life. This team could be so good with the right people in place and things would be fun again.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha was considered borderline allpro last year. He had an off year, and I have to believe there was a reason. Like scheme change, or a hidden injury. He will come back strong next year I bet...

Randall had a bad year last year, and followed it up with an above average 3rd year. If he plays as well in a different scheme as Hayward and Hyde did. He should be in the problem next year...

The king pick was Basicly a first rounder. And he looked great as a rookie. He was put up against top tier wrs and held his own.... as a lanky rookie in a complicated scheme... with a year of NFL regiment, and a new, assumed easier scheme. He should be even better.

Perry is our $12 mil a year olb... surely he is considered good.

Sherrod s injury ended a promising rookies career. Same could be said about Justin Harrell's back injury/s too. Can't call them busts in my opinion. Because they never got a chance.

Anyways. This pick, #12 or #13 or whatever, will be much different than #29.

I want a top tier wr. If one is available. A wr whose rookie contract will be up the same year as davante Adams new deal is up... which means we have 4 years to make the decision of who is better. But right away we have a blue chip wr prospect to help #12 open up the field. Open up Adams, Jordy, and Montgomery, if a deep threat wr enters the equation. If #13 turns out to be a stud, then Greenbay is back to the greatest show on tundra.

But I suspect the new defensive coordinator will get the first couple picks. On that plan I'm going for a dominant dlineman to add to Daniels/Clark.
Another good large cb would be second on my list.

Man we need to put some talent into the offense, our receiving corps is not exactly user friendly for quarterbacks not named Aaron Rodgers. We need a playmaker who can separate and you know occasionally make things happen after the catch.

'

Year 4 is going to say a lot about Randall. I hope the guy puts it all together. I'm interested to see how a new coach/scheme will affect him. I'm curious if the Packers will even pick up his 5th year option.

If he plays like he did from game 5 and on he'll get an extension, if he's still somewhat inconsistent but plays like he did at his best enough he'll get a prove it deal. If he reverts back to year 2 form he'll be let go. Thing is that we have enough areas of weakness that we really can't afford to put a high pick into the secondary if we dont need to. We could really use a 3 down ILB who can spy mobile quarterbacks and actually take away those shallow routes in the middle of the field, get one of those and we'll be able to play more man and we'll be able to apply a more aggressive pass rush.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he plays like he did from game 5 and on he'll get an extension, if he's still somewhat inconsistent but plays like he did at his best enough he'll get a prove it deal. If he reverts back to year 2 form he'll be let go. Thing is that we have enough areas of weakness that we really can't afford to put a high pick into the secondary if we dont need to. We could really use a 3 down ILB who can spy mobile quarterbacks and actually take away those shallow routes in the middle of the field, get one of those and we'll be able to play more man and we'll be able to apply a more aggressive pass rush.

I agree 100%. The Packers need linebackers who could pass rush and linebackers who could play sideline-to-sideline. Last thing I want to see is another corner drafted in the first two rounds.

I watched the Eagles recently and noticed that they have multiple pass rushers who are well above average. Packers need to restock the pass rush depth chart.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we probably have a difference of opinion on a franchise cornerstone.

Ingram? He ain't it. Neither is Martin. They've had good years, had bad years. Might as well put Bulaga up then.

If Ogletree is a cornerstone, then Nick Perry is as well. Sharif Floyd is probably done, and people rip on TT for the Raji pick for that reason (which I think is dumb) but if you want to consistently apply your logic, then we should. If Hightower is a cornerstone, then Perry certainly is as well.

Again, my arguement is that it was stated that "TT could not do worse". I am not arguing that he did the very best he possibly could have. I am arguing that overall, he did above average in those years in the first round. Not excellent, not bad. Shockingly, there is a middle ground that so conveniently gets left out of these Internet arguments.

I agree, we have a difference of opinion on a the term franchise cornerstone/game changer.

I also think we have a difference of opinion on TT performing above average in recent drafts.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Packers.com, we are officially picking at #14, and the tie-breaker with Washington was common opponents, not a coin flip.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, we have a difference of opinion on a the term franchise cornerstone/game changer.

I also think we have a difference of opinion on TT performing above average in recent drafts.

Let's look at recent drafts. I picked 2014 at random, it was 4 years ago, pretty recent.

2014:
Dix: Good
Adams: Excellent
Thornton: Bad
Rodgers: Ok
Bradford: Bad
Linsley: Excellent
Abbrederis: Injury prone, never worked out.
Goodson: never worked out
Janis: Good

2015:
Randall: I think he's good, at worst, average.
Goodson: bad
Monty: Good
Jake Ryan: Good
Hundley: Obviously not a good player, but it was a 5th round pick. Not too concerned.
Ripkowski: good pick
Ringo: never did anything
Backman: never did anything

2016:

Kenny Clark: Excellent
Spriggs: Ok pick
Fackrell: Awful
Martinez: Very good
Dean Lowry: Good
Trevor Davis: not great
Kyle Murphy: good pick

2017:

Too early to tell.

Later round picks have some not good players. That's normal. If we miss on a 5-7 round guy, I'm not concerned. Rarely get hits there. Picks like Thornton, Goodson, Bradford, Fackrell...those hurt. Overall, still got good value throughout the draft, imo. I certainly wouldn't call it bad.

Hbg Packers fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can talk in circles forever. The bottom line is TT hasn't adequately stacked the roster and this season's performance is proof of that. People are gonna put the whole thing on Capers and he will fall on the sword but Thompson is just as much to blame. The talent level isn't where it needs to be overall.

We are a one man show and we all know who that is. Pure and simple.

Way before the season I warned everyone of this outcome and the direction we were headed and I was laughed at. Now it is in full fruition. This is something I hate being right about as I want the Packers to be successful as much as anyone but the whole thing is a fraud. Without Rodgers were embarassing. Those are the facts.
I don't think things are as bleak as you make them. Granted losing AR for that length of time was a killer. But you have to take into consideration the number of injuries that team had to deal with this season on both sides of the ball. If we would have had a decent backup QB I think things would have gone a lot differently this season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 100%. The Packers need linebackers who could pass rush and linebackers who could play sideline-to-sideline. Last thing I want to see is another corner drafted in the first two rounds.

I watched the Eagles recently and noticed that they have multiple pass rushers who are well above average. Packers need to restock the pass rush depth chart.

Well you get a true mack backer running sideline to sideline taking away TEs and chasing down mobile quarterbacks our safeties corners and pass rushers are all going to look better. The corners will be able to play more man cover because that Mack will be able to spy and take care of mobile quarterbacks, our safeties will have fewer responsibilities and our end rushers will be able to tee off more frequently. Instead of having to play Matthews in a contain role against mobile quarterbacks we'll be able to keep him out wide and set him loose. The alternative, and we might have him on the roster, is move to a single high safety defense with yeah Damarious Randall playing centerfielder. As good as he looked on the outside in the last few games he might have a bright future at FS, he's long enough, has elite athleticism for the position, he's physical enough to play deep safety and in that role it'd put less stress on his quads ankles and groin muscles that have been bothering him for the last two seasons. If he can play that role well enough then you can play a safety up in the box which opens up more blitz packages and makes our lack of a true cover linebacker less of an issue, this is the defining characteristic of the 2010 defense-Nick Collins playing the Ed Reed role.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's look at recent drafts. I picked 2014 at random, it was 4 years ago, pretty recent.

2014:
Goodson: never worked out
Janis: Good

2015:
Randall: I think he's good, at worst, average.
Goodson: bad
Monty: Good
Hundley: Obviously not a good player, but it was a 5th round pick. Not too concerned.

2016:

Fackrell: Awful
Trevor Davis: not great
Kyle Murphy: good pick

2017:

Too early to tell.

Later round picks have some not good players. That's normal. If we miss on a 5-7 round guy, I'm not concerned. Rarely get hits there. Picks like Thornton, Goodson, Bradford, Fackrell...those hurt. Overall, still got good value throughout the draft, imo. I certainly wouldn't call it bad.

Lol I think you mean Rollins for 15 in round two. He's been up and down for us, kind of reminds me of Hayward but less durable. I wouldnt be surprised if he catches on somewhere else.

17:

King: The early returns are positive, hope he turns out to be durable enough.

Jones: Is a developmental player who has flashed some real playmaking ability, let's see if he can build on it his second year. He could turn into a star for us.

Adams: Injured and buried, could turn into a player yet for us but too early to tell one way or the other. Obviously he hasnt done anything to justify the selection.

Biegel: Flashed some playmaking ability but looks like he needs to add muscle to his frame, he might wind up inside.

Williams: Looks like a good sturdy workhorse type back, would like to see him in a Rodgers directed offense.

Yancey: Too early, practice squad. But he's a big guy with decent lower body explosion and decent speed, curious to see what he does with a full offseason.

Jones: Could become a steal if he can just stay healthy, really showed great burst instinct and a natural feel for running with the ball.

Amichia: Practice squad, too early.

Mays: Again too early

Dupree: Miss

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think things are as bleak as you make them. Granted losing AR for that length of time was a killer. But you have to take into consideration the number of injuries that team had to deal with this season on both sides of the ball. If we would have had a decent backup QB I think things would have gone a lot differently this season.

Maybe so but Thompson is ultimately responsible for Hundley being on the roster. If people remember he got cute with Taysom Hill(who outplayed Hundley in preseason) and lost him ultimately to Saints.

I don't think things are bleak in the sense there are some pieces in place and there is cap space(a lot if certain moves are made) and high draft picks to reload and fix roster. My issue is I no longer trust Thompson to be the one to make it all work with available resources. I would much rather see a younger Elliot Wolf at this point and give someone else a shot to be more creative on "talent acquisition".

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I will move the rest outside the box so I can comment when needed

2014:
Goodson: never worked out Injury prone, never worked out.
Janis: Good Ok on ST, not a WR yet

2015:
Randall: I think he's good, at worst, average. and showed improvement as this season progressed.
Goodson: bad I am sure you meant Rollins. Injury prone,hasn't worked out since after first season.
Monty: Good but injury prone

2016:

Fackrell: Awful like Adams, Dix, and Randall were their 2nd season. Otherwise too early to tell.
Trevor Davis: not great Obviously not a good player, but it was a 5th round pick.
Kyle Murphy: good pick based on what? One game? Otherwise too early to tell.

2017:

Too early to tell.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I will move the rest outside the box so I can comment when needed

2014:
Goodson: never worked out Injury prone, never worked out.
Janis: Good Ok on ST, not a WR yet

2015:
Randall: I think he's good, at worst, average. and showed improvement as this season progressed.
Goodson: bad I am sure you meant Rollins. Injury prone,hasn't worked out since after first season.
Monty: Good but injury prone

2016:

Fackrell: Awful like Adams, Dix, and Randall were their 2nd season. Otherwise too early to tell.
Trevor Davis: not great Obviously not a good player, but it was a 5th round pick.
Kyle Murphy: good pick based on what? One game? Otherwise too early to tell.

2017:

Too early to tell.

Once again you can't draft "just average" or "not bad" and use that and UDFA's as 95 percent of your talent acquisition and be a top team in the NFL without legendary and elite play from Aaron Rodgers.

Thompson is missing the mark overall and it showed when Rodgers went down.

shockerx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we take a guard in the first round? Quiten Nelson is a sure pick pro bowler. One of the best olinemen to come out in years. do we pull trigger on a guard thats a stud of studs...could be there at 14...cause he is a guard. man wish we had like 5 first round picks.

Reaction score
Once again you can't draft "just average" or "not bad" and use that and UDFA's as 95 percent of your talent acquisition and be a top team in the NFL without legendary and elite play from Aaron Rodgers.

Thompson is missing the mark overall and it showed when Rodgers went down.
Ted actually had the right idea, he just missed. There is an age old philosophy from some of the past greats of drafting a QB somewhere in the rounds in most years in the draft because the position is so dynamic
You may only hit on 1 of 5 of those picks but it’s kinda like playing the lottery, if that QB hits and you spent a late round pick the payoff can be substantial (just look at what teams will pay to move up moderately within the 1st round, they practically Mortgsge their family e.g, Chicago Bears trades recently)

Ted had 2 of the 3 winning numbers, but he kept scratching and scratching hoping to get a better result when the lotto card was already getting a hole in it and this couldn’t be cashed due to distorting it. (Paints a funny picture don’t it? :tdown:)
He could’ve just bought 2 lotto cards.

That philosophy would’ve been fine had he learned his lesson a few years ago and not kept just 2 QBs to rely on (Thank you Seneca Wallace for that valuable lesson we missed)

Last edited:
Reaction score
We’re on the move!
TT has work to do this year. This year is interesting because we possess 2 things not seen in quite sometime. We have both a top 14 pick AND a double digit # of draft picks. Including what I’m only guessing should conceivably be an extra 3rd rounder and 3 extra picks between the 5th-7th rounds.
Normally it’s just the reverse and our hand is forced. This time we need to be aggressive. Trading up in the first is normally too costly but trading up in the second when we’re already top 15? This might make sense.
1.We’ve got to sign a Veteran CB to polish out these young rooks. We owe that to the new DC to give him some ammo.
2. With some good fortune we should have our choice of one of these... the top 2 WRs, top 2 DEs, top 2 LBs etc..
3. There is almost always a 1st round prospect who slides rounds and there’s a 50/50 chance there is one of the above who is still available early second round. We need to be aggressive and move up into the top 33-40 or so if our guy is still there by trading a compensatory pick to a team willing to negotiate.
4. Be on the lookout for a starting caliber TE.

5. Strongly Consider a new Punter. There’s some good college talent that could be taken with a late round comp pick that can win the job. Field position is a priority.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I found it.
Lang for 3rd rounder.
Tretter a 5th.
Lacy and cook for two 6ths.

And a conditional pick for trading McCray to the bills. He played in 13 games for them....

That's 12 picks. Right? Wow.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We’re on the move!
TT has work to do this year. This year is interesting because we possess 2 things not seen in quite sometime. We have both a top 14 pick AND a double digit # of draft picks. Including what I’m only guessing should conceivably be an extra 3rd rounder and 3 extra picks between the 5th-7th rounds.
Normally it’s just the reverse and our hand is forced. This time we need to be aggressive. Trading up in the first is normally too costly but trading up in the second when we’re already top 15? This might make sense.
1.We’ve got to sign a Veteran CB to polish out these young rooks. We owe that to the new DC to give him some ammo.
2. With some good fortune we should have our choice of one of these... the top 2 WRs, top 2 DEs, top 2 LBs etc..
3. There is almost always a 1st round prospect who slides rounds and there’s a 50/50 chance there is one of the above who is still available early second round. We need to be aggressive and move up into the top 33-40 or so if our guy is still there by trading a compensatory pick to a team willing to negotiate.
4. Be on the lookout for a starting caliber TE.

5. Strongly Consider a new Punter. There’s some good college talent that could be taken with a late round comp pick that can win the job. Field position is a priority.

change it to NEW GM

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know guys, I think he's due for a good pick! Nobody can be this bad on purpose:

Id say 4 of those 6 are pretty good. With Kenny Clark being really good and Nick Perry as well. Sherrod was a bust because of injury and Jones because of position. He should of been a 3 technique in a 4-3

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This I could agree with as evidenced by Micah Hyde and Heyward. It might be Capers' scheme that's holding back players from being good/great.

Wasn't the scheme. I'd argue that hyde was just as good for Green Bay as he was in Buffalo this season. Yeah he got 2 more picks than last season but he played more too. As for Hayward he was miscast as a slot only corner when apparently he's best on the outside

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, now we need to see who the new GM is before thinking how he's going to draft this pick.

Speculation on names? Wolfe? Ball? Think Schneider gets a release?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, now we need to see who the new GM is before thinking how he's going to draft this pick.

Speculation on names? Wolfe? Ball? Think Schneider gets a release?
How about you ask those questions in an existing thread devoted to the GM situation instead of randomly dropping it in whatever thread thus hijacking it.

OP
OP
sjb12681

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, how exactly do I hijack my OWN thread mod? I asked about the draft to open the thread and now ask who we think will actually be making it.

Easy on the trigger there Rambo.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would LOVE if Calvin Ridley fell to #14, but I think it's unlikely. Of the realistic possibilities, I also like Harold Landry.

Members online

Latest posts