2015 - Best offense in franchise history?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While elite offenses have been mostly the norm in the last 20+ years of the franchise, this one feels like it has the potential to stand out. Not just because of the talent, but also because of the continuity . As of right now, it appears that this offense will be the first since the 1960's to return all of its starters.

The final piece seemed to come together last year with the development of one of the elite O-line's in the league, and the re-signing of Bulaga keeps that together. If there is one weakness, it might be the lack of an elite TE. The offenses of the late 90's had Jackson and Chmura as redzone options, and we haven't had those kind of options since Finley went down. Still, there's some potential upside and we'll see what we have in the second year of Richard Rodgers.

That said, the running game is as good as there, and we're loaded with even more weapons at WR than the late 90's teams, and with a 2 time MVP throwing to them and a fully returning offense from 2014, I think it's reasonable to expect to see one of, if not the best offense that we've seen.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the best offense in team history ranks as the 3rd greatest offense in nfl history, so if it's better than that it's going to be pretty epic.

Historically teams who are historically great on offense faulter in the post season

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i feel it too. rodgers is da man! lacy is da man! our o line is the best we had since frank winters was the center. unlike most those historically great offenses, we also have a great defense this year. d line is respectable and hungry. lbs are led by 2 hall of famers. and the secondary is deep young and tallented! practice is like an allstar game... almost. :)

mccarthy is so dang frugal though. he will blow the record to teach a lesson... he keeps a great ballance. if up to me, id go deep 10 times a game to open up lacy. or some other mind f#%@ strategy to keep them guessing.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree 2011 will be tough to top.

It's pretty remarkable that we were closing in on an undefeated season in a year that we had the 32nd ranked defense.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still pretty remarkable.

Splitting hairs as we know I'm talking about yardage (32nd) and you're talking about points (19th). Guess my point is just that our offense was very remarkable to be able to overcome a poor D in 2011 to the tune of a 15-1 record.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Splitting hairs as we know I'm talking about yardage (32nd) and you're talking about points (19th). Guess my point is just that our offense was very remarkable to be able to overcome a poor D in 2011 to the tune of a 15-1 record.

yeah it was so tough on the offense when the defense led the league in INTs by a WIDE margin. The offense actually owes the defense alot of credit that year for so many more possessions.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all I´m convinced the Packers will once again have one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL. It will be tough to exceed the production of the 2011 season though.

It's pretty remarkable that we were closing in on an undefeated season in a year that we had the 32nd ranked defense.

I think points allowed is a way better way to measure a defense´s performance than total yards allowed.

yeah it was so tough on the offense when the defense led the league in INTs by a WIDE margin. The offense actually owes the defense alot of credit that year for so many more possessions.

You´re taking it way too far with that assessment. While being tied for the league lead in turnovers (recovered fumbles are as important as interceptions) the defense was mostly terrible in 2011 and the offense had to score a ton of points several times to win a game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all I´m convinced the Packers will once again have one of the highest scoring offenses in the NFL. It will be tough to exceed the production of the 2011 season though.

I think points allowed is a way better way to measure a defense´s performance than total yards allowed.

You´re taking it way too far with that assessment. While being tied for the league lead in turnovers (recovered fumbles are as important as interceptions) the defense was mostly terrible in 2011 and the offense had to score a ton of points several times to win a game.
So you don't consider all those extra possessions crucial in the amount of scoring the team did?

Since we rank the offense in terms of points scored the defense should be ranked in the same way. 19th in the league off the top of my head I think. That's not terrible.

The only regular season loss was squarely on the offense and the post season loss was as much on the offense as the defense, if not more.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it absolutely has the potential to be sure. Jordy, Cobb and Lacy are alot to handle for any team and I think it all depends on Davante and how he progresses. QB1 is giving him a ton of praise so we'll see what happens. I personally think he's going to shine this year but it remains to be seen. There's no reason to think that if the health is there all year that this offense couldn't rival the best ever. If RR or Quarless can emerge as that field stretching TE we need, then it makes it all the more easier.

There are some if's surrounding this offense but all in all it should be the best in the league again, at least for 2015.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the best offense in team history ranks as the 3rd greatest offense in nfl history, so if it's better than that it's going to be pretty epic.

Historically teams who are historically great on offense faulter in the post season

Not sure what the above really means. The post-season really comes down to matchup and getting "hot" at the right time. The small sample of a one game series means that there's a ton of variability in the results. The 2011 NY Giants were 25th on defense and 9th on offense but they got luck/hot at the right time. 2009 Saints were top scoring offense in the NFL and they won the Super Bowl. Does anyone REALLY think the 2007 Giants were a better team than the 2007 Patriots? That if those two teams played ten times you wouldn't expect the Patriots to win the next nine?

Fact is that there's not really a "profile" for winning the Super Bowl.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only team I could really see pushing the Packers for top offense in the NFL this year would be the Colts. I mean, they have a pretty good offense and have you looked at their schedule?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what the above really means. The post-season really comes down to matchup and getting "hot" at the right time. The small sample of a one game series means that there's a ton of variability in the results. The 2011 NY Giants were 25th on defense and 9th on offense but they got luck/hot at the right time. 2009 Saints were top scoring offense in the NFL and they won the Super Bowl. Does anyone REALLY think the 2007 Giants were a better team than the 2007 Patriots? That if those two teams played ten times you wouldn't expect the Patriots to win the next nine?

Fact is that there's not really a "profile" for winning the Super Bowl.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...not-so-good-and-some-super-bowl-48-prop-bets/

As far as a profile, efficient offense and good pass defense seems to be the best profile to win

H

HardRightEdge

I dunno, that 2011 5-wide offense was fun to watch as well as ****ey to Lofton and Jefferson.
Don't forget Coffman. All 3 receivers made the Pro Bowl in 1982. Lofton and Coffman both made the Pro Bowl for three years running in 1982 - 1984. There wasn't a lot of winning going on but those guys were fun to watch.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno, that 2011 5-wide offense was fun to watch as well as ****ey to Lofton and Jefferson.

****ey also had Paul Coffman at TE and Phillip Epps was a pretty good 3rd receiver. If memory serves, Gary Ellis and Eddie Lee Ivery were in the backfield.

Too bad the defense wasn't very good.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why not. Compared to 2011 or oline is better, our RBs are better, and I think our wrs may not be as deep but cobb and nelson in their prime with Adams who is going to be a stud are about as good of a 3 as you will find.

Reaction score
I agree 2011 will be tough to top.

And it's remarkable that the 1 game we lost, it wasn't because of our defense!

Anyways, our offense should and will be amazing (as I think every year :D).... Just imagine if Abby or Janis exceed our expectations!

D

Deleted member 6794

So you don't consider all those extra possessions crucial in the amount of scoring the team did?

Since we rank the offense in terms of points scored the defense should be ranked in the same way. 19th in the league off the top of my head I think. That's not terrible.

The only regular season loss was squarely on the offense and the post season loss was as much on the offense as the defense, if not more.

I consider the extra possessions the turnovers the defense created as crucial to the offense´s success in 2011. But the Packers didn´t lead the league in turnovers by a wide margin during that season (actually they were tied with the Niners) and IMO you´re putting too much stock into it.

Absolutely agree that points allowed is the best way to measure a defense´s performance. While the offense had a terrible performance vs. the Giants in the playoffs giving up the hail mary TD at the end of the first half was a huge factor in that loss.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably not likely, but possible. The 2011 team had a lot of extra possessions because of the turnovers created by the defense that year. If we can defensively get much more three and outs than we've had in recent years, this team could break the franchise scoring record.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I consider the extra possessions the turnovers the defense created as crucial to the offense´s success in 2011. But the Packers didn´t lead the league in turnovers by a wide margin during that season (actually they were tied with the Niners) and IMO you´re putting too much stock into it.

Absolutely agree that points allowed is the best way to measure a defense´s performance. While the offense had a terrible performance vs. the Giants in the playoffs giving up the hail mary TD at the end of the first half was a huge factor in that loss.
It was INTs they led by a wide margin 31 INTs, with the next closest team 23. But yes, the 9ers had an impressive year with fumbles.

well have to agree to disagree on the importance of extra possessions for an offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was INTs they led by a wide margin 31 INTs, with the next closest team 23. But yes, the 9ers had an impressive year with fumbles.

well have to agree to disagree on the importance of extra possessions for an offense.

I'm aware of the fact the Packers defense led the league in interceptions by a wide margin in 2011 but fumble recoveries are equally important.

All these turnovers didn't result in the offense having a ton of possessions that year though as they only had a total of 168 drives which ranked 30th in the league.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm aware of the fact the Packers defense led the league in interceptions by a wide margin in 2011 but fumble recoveries are equally important.

All these turnovers didn't result in the offense having a ton of possessions that year though as they only had a total of 168 drives which ranked 30th in the league.
Do you view fumbles as a credit to the defenses talent or do you consider them fluky... As in varied year to year with no consistent relations to the talent level? What about ints?

Regardless of where they ended the year in drives, they STILL had led the league in "extra" possessions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Do you view fumbles as a credit to the defenses talent or do you consider them fluky... As in varied year to year with no consistent relations to the talent level? What about ints?

Regardless of where they ended the year in drives, they STILL had led the league in "extra" possessions.

I consider fumbles mostly fluky but a recovered one is still equally important as an interception. Actually a defensive turnover doesn't result in additional positions for the offense but in better field position.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO some fumbles and some INTs are flukes. Some are unforced errors and some are the result of plain old luck. But when a team leads the league in INTs like the Packers did in 2011, it’s more by design than luck. Just like Peanut Tillman forcing fumbles – all you had to do was watch him and you could see most were by design, not luck. It's my sense that recovering fumbles involves a little more luck than INTs.

I was surprised at the stats I found for 2011. I don’t know how Football Outsiders defines “drives” but I assume it’s the same as offensive possessions. They list the Packers with 168 drives and the 9ers at the average of 184 for that season. Denver led with 199 drives. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2011

Of course the Packers led the league in the 2011 regular season in scoring. They finished third in yards per game – that’s no surprise. But they finished 28th in plays from scrimmage, with 129 fewer offensive plays than the Saints who led in that category. The 9ers had 5 more plays on O than the Packers. (These stats from the nfl website.) I get the fewer plays - they were a quick-strike O that season. And of course FO has them leading the league in points per drive, but where did all those extra possessions go?

Members online

Latest posts