2011 Draft: What Position in First Round?

What position should we go in first round?

• OL

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • RB

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OLB

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • CB

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • DL

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riley82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think harrell will be gone soon and have heard donald lee also is going and maybe flynn?
I think we will draft a lt to replace cliffy in a few seasons.
dline if jenkins is not resigned,olb as people will double clay.
maybe a wr/cb for once donald/woodson retires.
1.ot
2.dline
3.olb
4.cb.
5.wr.
6.qb.
7.te

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is shields still a possibility for returns, at least kick-offs? This summer that's all people could talk about shields speed and potential kick return ability. Did I miss something I know he probably can't return punts but another year of practicing kick returns should really help him.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields, like the rest of our returners either 1.) couldnt catch or 2.) fumble. Those are two bad things for a returner. When Aaron Rodgers says publicly that he cringed when special teams were on the field, that is a problem.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where was the option for best player available?

This is the beauty of winning the Super Bowl and having a deep. TT always picks the best player available (please see Aaron Rodgers).

I'm comfortable with whomever TT picks. I'm good with an OT, OG, WR, DE, OLB or CB.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree we have the luxury of taking any position and being content. I like this situation, but we have to keep getting better and staying young, healthy, and having good depth.

Nick 52

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know it sounds like I'm sitting on the fence but I think we have to take the best player available.

Depending on when and if the CBA is agreed; and any losses due to free agency; it's hard to say what our needs may be, by the time we next get to play.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT always picks the best player available (please see Aaron Rodgers).

We needed a QB to develop behind Favre, there's not a player TT's drafted that hasn't been a need...The whole notion of a GM/coach drafting for 'BPA' is nonsense, teams have tons of needs and pretty much every pick in the draft fills a team need.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a QB would make no sense to me and I will be mad if we do it. What happens if the guy is garbage and is a bust (which happens with QB's)? We lose a first round pick and the possibility of getting nothing in return. But if we draft a player where there is a possibility of playing/starting (not QB) then we at least get something out of them even if he is a bust (unless your name is Justin Harrell.)

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great point, Jess. If we add another good OLB and pass rush threat that either frees Clay (which won't happen for a while) or gives the other guy a better opportunity seeing Clay gets the attention of everyone. "The NFL is all about matchups." Whoever is our OLB opposite Clay pretty much always loses any matchup which in essence creates a weakness.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not many people are talking much about a reciever or RB. Grant is going to have to prove he can still do it and Driver isn't getting any younger. I personally would like to get a OT in the first and a OG in the second. I think replacing a certain OG with the initials of D.C. would be great.......lol. Walter football had us picking Jonathan Baldwin in the first round a week ago and and changed it to another WR Torrey Smith yesterday. That would not **** me off if we got either one of those guys!

Some people think the Packers don't have alot of holes but I see them all over the place. If TT picks the best available player with the exception of Saftey........I would be happy though.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy I really, really want to see as a Packer is Mike Pouncey.

Ding Ding Ding, You are the winner.

Although, the more time that passes, the more it seems like the draft will play out without the ability for teams to trade players or next years picks to move up or down on the draft board.

If this happens or not I think that we should not be concentrating so much on what our biggest needs are as much as who do we think might slip down to us at 32.

This draft is loaded with talent, some deeper at specific positions than others. It is impossible to predict TT moving up to grab a player but by looking at the other teams needs and how their GMs pick, we should be able to narrow down the options we should be looking at when it is our turn to pick.

By doing this, I think that we actually have a good chance to pick up an OL like I hope for. It seems that the position is deep and other teams have been valuing the Defensive end/line players much higher these days.

I believe any pass rush first round talent worth taking will be gone by the time we pick. That also goes for the WR, RB and CB which are not all that deep this year. Sure there will be some good talent available at these positions but they will not be the BPA at 32.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Options:

RB - biggest luxury pick, someone who could do returns while learning the system and also being used if injuries happen

Luxury Pick? Let's see. Ryan Grant has not played since the start of last season. He is older and coming back from a major injury. Starks looked good when he was on the field but couldn't stay there. Jackson is not the answer and we all witnessed that last year. I wouldn't mind getting a RB in maybe the 3rd or 4th round.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most analist are saying Brooks Reed but not sold on that that if Leshoure or Pouncey are still around. Plus didn't Reed play DE and not OLB?
Yes, he did, but so did Suggs and Ware in college.

I don't like him at #32, but having played DE in college is not the reason why. It's because I don't think he's strong enough in his lower body nor do I think he's agile enough to be an elite pass rusher.

Members online

Latest posts