2011 Draft: What Position in First Round?

What position should we go in first round?

• OL

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • RB

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • WR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OLB

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • CB

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • DL

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is never to early to mock the draft. In saying that, what position should we take in the first round, and if you have a player you like, throw it out there!

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it wouldn't hurt to keep building on our OL. But how about Casey Mathews in the later part of the draft.. that would be leggiit...

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Casey, but do you think it would work out playing on the same team as your brother? being his shadow?

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am really surprised to see this many people voting OL. Many fan bases hate teams drafting OL because it isn't the "****" pick, but I think solidifying the line would benefit us in years to come.

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there ya go, I went with the "****" pick at OLB. But honestly, either OLB or OL would be great!

Just no DL, please...I think we're pretty well set with Raji, Pickett, Neal, Jenkins (if he comes back), Jolly, Wilson, Wynn, and Harrell if he could ever stay healthy. A later round huge guy to come in during situational roles (like Green this year) would be nice, though.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
prince amukamara. 'nuff said!

Woodsons good but getting older, Sheilds looks promising, Williams is becoming a damn good starter...but after this year, what if Woodson retires? Takes the Elway approach?.. OLB would be my second choice

Chop0Suey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
prince amukamara. 'nuff said!

Woodsons good but getting older, Sheilds looks promising, Williams is becoming a damn good starter...but after this year, what if Woodson retires? Takes the Elway approach?.. OLB would be my second choice

I highly doubt Woodson retires this year. I believe he's signed through 2015, and there's no way he'd want to leave all that money sitting on the table.

Given that both T.Will and Sam Shields were UDFA, I don't see the need to draft a CB that high and pay him all that money when he probably won't be ready to start for another 2 or 3 years. And btw, there's no way Prince makes it out of the top 10.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Options:

OL - Offensive tackle or a stud to be a guard who can come in and start day one.
DL - Not really high on drafting anyone unless they are a run-stopper
OLB - Biggest area of 'need' if we had to name one. Would help with pressure when Matthews gets double teamed
CB - Luxury pick, but someone who could come in and do returns while playing behind shields on depth chart on defense
WR - Someone who could be a future 1 or 2 WR, but who would learn behind our guys but do returns in the mean time
RB - biggest luxury pick, someone who could do returns while learning the system and also being used if injuries happen

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offensive line, specifically tackle. This draft is pretty deep so the Packers should get a shot at a decent tackle.

Just don't take DeMarcus Love or Marcus Cannon. Neither are true first round picks. Love has problems with speed guys and Cannon is a RT at best.

L

Lunchboxer

I dont know. All I know TT will be right with the Pick as he always is.

I would say our Biggest Need would be OLB I know few of our Vets like Clifton are Aging.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I would really like to see some type of general offensive weapon like Reggie Bush, Josh Cribbs, Percy Harvin, or Devon Hester. Someone to return kicks and also get a few offensive snaps that the defense really has to account for.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really like to see some type of general offensive weapon like Reggie Bush, Josh Cribbs, Percy Harvin, or Devon Hester. Someone to return kicks and also get a few offensive snaps that the defense really has to account for.

In the first round?

Reaching for a home run threat with their first pick would be a mistake. They have bigger priorities to address.

Reaction score
We need to draft Oline in the first. But we also need Casey Matthews. I hope Clay is doing everything to get him here.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BPA, excluding FB, QB and TE.

The rest is fair game. We don't have many holes, the only positions where we have average players are LG, ROLB and SS. And I'm not counting on players upgrading, which will occur.

The most dire need I would say is a really dominant Olinemen to go with Sitton. And Bulaga might turn into that. We don't know the progression of Lang and Newhouse, and this was the first seson where Colledge played LG the whole time, and he improved a lot from last year, plus he's still young.

If we re-sign Cullen, him, Raji and Neal is the best 3-4 DL in football, and Wilson, Wynn, Pickett and Green are very good backups.

Zombo played well, Walden played well, and Brad Jones was playing well and he'll be back. If we can find a bonafide OLB in the draft, it would be great, but we got 3 potential, young guys in there. One is bound to pan out.

At SS, we got Burnett coming back. He needs to be more physical, but he looks like the future.

But, of course, it's not about the current holes. TT will look at future FAs and older players. I'd like for us to get another CB to groom for when Woodson retires. Maybe a big, dominant WR, but both Jordy and Jones might turn into that.

Thinking about it, TT has a really easy job in this draft. He doesn't need to think about holes to fill. He can just go out and pick the bargains that will be available, because a lot of teams pick based on need and reach for players.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Zombo played well, Walden played well, and Brad Jones was playing well and he'll be back. If we can find a bonafide OLB in the draft, it would be great, but we got 3 potential, young guys in there. One is bound to pan out."

I disagree. These guys should not be starting next year at OLB. These guys have one thing going for them - playing experience. But what we do not have is someone who can take advantage of Matthews on the other side. But these guys are not threats. Walden had one monster game, but these guys are back-ups needed for depth.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In the first round?

Reaching for a home run threat with their first pick would be a mistake. They have bigger priorities to address.

Why not? Any pick in the draft is a risk. Bush and Harvin were 1st rounders, Hester a 2nd. The Packers have tried getting a bona fide returner in later rounds / off the street and it hasn't panned out. As receivers, James Jones is an inconsistent free agent, Swain is unproven, and Driver is short term. Running backs are picked up based on their receiving and blocking ability not their KR potential. Every position can be sufficiently filled at any time in the draft. Difference makers usually come out of the first two rounds. The Packers do not have a glaring must fill position except for returner. Every other position is drafting for the future and depth. Return by committee kick returners and having your top CB on punts should not be a viable long term answer. Shields, Nelson, and Starks all were kick returners that should see more prominent, valuable roles next season.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree whole-heartedly with taking a WR in the first round IF it is not a reach on three conditions:

1. There is no OL that could be taken (like Bulaga falling to us last year). We must take care of needs first.
2. See # 1, but with OLB.
3. The WR must be able to return kicks. I am not a huge James Jones fan. Way to inconsistent. But if we can bring in a WR (or two) we can use them to do returns and be our 4 and 5 WRs. Imagine Jennings, Driver, Nelson, [first round WR], and [5th round WR].

Plus the biggest NEED we have is the fact that NOONE fears our Special Teams.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Thompson drafting a OT, OLB, or WR in the first round. As long as we get a guy that contributes that's all that matters. However, I believe ROLB is our biggest need, if a guy's there that can help that would be great.

PackersATW

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went with a CB, but OL is equally important. Packers are a below average running team and drafting a LG to push and maybe supplant Colledge would boost their yardage total hopefully. It'd be nice to draft a prototype style LT to backup Clifton (Bulaga has short arms), but picking 32nd I suppose the best LT's will be long gone.

CB depth is a concern. Lee or Underwood wasn't good enough for nickel back coming out of camp last year and they really haven't grown much since. Bush makes some crucial mistakes when asked to guard man coverage, really getting burned in the Super Bowl. Plus Underwood has some unresolved legal issues over his head right now.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I don't care if an OT is a "****" pick. I think the reason more people want to see a tackle is because we really, really need one.
Who was the SB MVP again? Oh yea, Rodgers, after two concussions. If the Packers want to have sustained success it's the first order of business to protect him. Clifton is great, but who among us expects him to be healthy the whole year next year?
Also, even though Bulaga did well in his rookie campaign, it's really, really a good idea to get a lineman a year of experience before you throw him to the lines of the Lions and Bears twice a year.
There are 5 standout OT this year, we won't get one in the second for certain, they'll be gone. Gotta grab one if one is available, otherwise I agree with the BPA approach. I think our answer at LG is already on the roster.
I'll tell you this, I was surprised at how last year's draft went and I was totally pleased. So what do I know?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BPA, whatever that may be. Even a QB (that would make way for a Flynn trade).

Luckily, our biggest need matches depth of draft. An OT or OG will help this team the most. But, a KR may also provide an excellent boost. Not entirely sure that the kick return game is limited by the returner as much as the coaching of the entire unit. The thing with the OL, is that it takes a few years for the player to actually get up to speed to be really effective.

TT has put us in such a great position to not need to reach for any players. He will take what the draft brings us and if I was a betting man, I bet we get a guy ranked in his top 20, maybe higher. The year we got Clay, he was would have likely been the pick at #9 if Raji wasn't available. Think about that, we get a guy in the top 10 of TTs list at number 26. Who's to say TT won't find another impact player at #32? And I don't care if its at QB, WR, OL, CB, LB, KR, etc. You need as many of those playmakers as you can get. GMs who draft for need do not last long in this league. You reach and draft inferior players, you end up with an inferior team, plain and simple.

Members online

Latest posts