2010 NFC North Quarterbacks

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here I will give my opinion on the 2010 season for each starting QB for the NFC North. I'll start with us:

Aaron Rodgers - Last season, Aaron Rodgers had a QB rating of 103.2, 30 Touchdowns, 7 Interceptions, threw for 4,434 yards, and made his first career Pro Bowl. That's pretty good considering he had a pretty poor offensive line to work with from weeks 1-8. In 2010, I expect Rodgers to do better than he did in 2009, as long as our offensive line stays healthy, and we don't have another injury plagued season up front like last year. When Rodgers gets time, it seems like he always finds an open target, and with all the weapons we have at Receiver and Tight End, finding a target shouldn't be too difficult for him. Rodgers also is good outside of the pocket, and when protection breaks down he can still make something happen on the run.

Brett Favre (Assuming he returns) - In 2009, Favre took over as the Viqueens starting QB, and completed the regular season with 33 touchdown throws, 7 interceptions, 4,202 passing yards, and had a QB rating of 107.2. The Vikings are still a very big threat to us this season, considering all the good receivers they have, plus Adrian Peterson in the backfield, but will Favre be that effective again in 2010? If you ask me, I'd say no. For two main reasons:
1 - He's coming off of ankle surgery.
and
2 - He's 40 years old, and going to be 41 come October.
He still may do as good, if not better in 2010, I just don't quite see it happening.

Jay Cutler - In his first season with the Bears, Cutler threw 27 Touchdowns, but also threw 26 interceptions. He threw for 3,666 yards, and finished the season with a 76.8 QB rating. So all-in-all, he had a decent year, but not great, considering the Bears don't have the Receivers the Packers and Vikings do. Honestly, I see him doing a little bit better this year, since he's been in their system for over a year now. But I still think he's going to struggle against good defenses, like ours, the Vikings, the Cowboys, and the Jets.

and finally...

Matt Stafford - Last year, even with the addition of Stafford, the Lions struggles continued in their 2-14 season. Stafford threw 7 more interceptions (20) than touchdowns (13) last season, which is pretty bad, but give him a break... He plays for the Lions after all. I (And I bet I'm not the only one) strongly believe that his, and the Lions, struggles with continue. I think Stafford will come out of the 2010 season with about the same, maybe a little bit better, numbers and will come out with another awful 2 or 3 win season.

Well that's what I think. What about you guys?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers - Last season, Aaron Rodgers had a QB rating of 103.2, 30 Touchdowns, 7 Interceptions, threw for 4,434 yards, and made his first career Pro Bowl. That's pretty good considering he had a pretty poor offensive line to work with from weeks 1-8. In 2010, I expect Rodgers to do better than he did in 2009, as long as our offensive line stays healthy, and we don't have another injury plagued season up front like last year. When Rodgers gets time, it seems like he always finds an open target, and with all the weapons we have at Receiver and Tight End, finding a target shouldn't be too difficult for him. Rodgers also is good outside of the pocket, and when protection breaks down he can still make something happen on the run.
Completely agree. Quite simply, when Rodgers had some time to throw, he was unstoppable.

Brett Favre (Assuming he returns) - In 2009, Favre took over as the Viqueens starting QB, and completed the regular season with 33 touchdown throws, 7 interceptions, 4,202 passing yards, and had a QB rating of 107.2. The Vikings are still a very big threat to us this season, considering all the good receivers they have, plus Adrian Peterson in the backfield, but will Favre be that effective again in 2010? If you ask me, I'd say no. For two main reasons:
1 - He's coming off of ankle surgery.
and
2 - He's 40 years old, and going to be 41 come October.
He still may do as good, if not better in 2010, I just don't quite see it happening.
I really doubted Favre last year. Won't do it again. He absolutely won't have the same season as he did last year, teams will focus on hurting him more than anything.

But he won't have a bad season. He'll have a very good one, in the late 90's, as far as QB rating...

Jay Cutler - In his first season with the Bears, Cutler threw 27 Touchdowns, but also threw 26 interceptions. He threw for 3,666 yards, and finished the season with a 76.8 QB rating. So all-in-all, he had a decent year, but not great, considering the Bears don't have the Receivers the Packers and Vikings do. Honestly, I see him doing a little bit better this year, since he's been in their system for over a year now. But I still think he's going to struggle against good defenses, like ours, the Vikings, the Cowboys, and the Jets.
Cutler is in a new system, in which he never played before. Cutler never used a timed offense. His receivers still can't run routes.
He won't have a great season, I'm willing to bet. Maybe he won't throw 20+ ints again, but he doesn't have the weapons or the OL he did in DEN to be able to play well...

Matt Stafford - Last year, even with the addition of Stafford, the Lions struggles continued in their 2-14 season. Stafford threw 7 more interceptions (20) than touchdowns (13) last season, which is pretty bad, but give him a break... He plays for the Lions after all. I (And I bet I'm not the only one) strongly believe that his, and the Lions, struggles with continue. I think Stafford will come out of the 2010 season with about the same, maybe a little bit better, numbers and will come out with another awful 2 or 3 win season.
He has some better options now, and has a better D, but his OL is still **** poor, and he's still a young QB...
I think he'll do better, but he won't have a good season. Not with that OL.

He'll live and die by Calvin Johnson. If he's able to beat double teams and come down with the ball, he wins. If not, if he's assigned to Charles Woodson again, he'll be picked twice, one for TD...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I think your over confident in Rodgers. He may have a good year. Chances are however that it will not be as good as last year. Why? It's to hard for QB's to maintain that high of level over a period of time. Even two years in a row. If he does it, great. But I don't see it happening.

Number of current QB's that have more than two or more seasons with a QB rating above 100. One. Peyton Manning.

Number of current QB's that have more than one year in a row with single digit interceptions. 0.

It may happen, but it is more likely it won't.

I say Rodgers will do 28 tds and 13 interceptions ending with a rating of around 95 or so.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think your over confident in Rodgers. He may have a good year. Chances are however that it will not be as good as last year. Why? It's to hard for QB's to maintain that high of level over a period of time. Even two years in a row. If he does it, great. But I don't see it happening.

Number of current QB's that have more than two or more seasons with a QB rating above 100. One. Peyton Manning.

Number of current QB's that have more than one year in a row with single digit interceptions. 0.

It may happen, but it is more likely it won't.

I say Rodgers will do 28 tds and 13 interceptions ending with a rating of around 95 or so.
Seasons where more than 4 QBs had a 100+ rating: 1. 2009.

It's a different game than before...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
At the same time I would be surprised if Favre has a season like he did last year. Possible, not probable. Cutler should do a bit better and I think Stafford may be the surprise of the division.

Members online

Latest posts