2010 Draft - Round 1, Pick 23, Overall Pick 23: Bryan Bulaga

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Packers picked Bryan Bulaga for their first pick in the draft. DISCUSS!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bryan Bulaga (OT)
Height: 6'5"
Weight: 314 lbs.
Arm Length: 33 1/4 in.
Hand Size: 9 1/4 in.
College: Iowa
Conference: Big 10

Pick Analysis:
The Packers add a quality offensive tackle prospect with the selection of Bryan Bulaga. Although the team has a pair of veterans in Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher in place to start in 2010, Bulaga gives the team much-needed depth and an eventual successor to develop for the future.

Overview:
Bulaga is a good, not a great, talent as a left tackle. Like most Iowa linemen he will come into the league with a good understanding of the game as well as the position he plays. He understands angles and blocking schemes and is quick to recognize and adjust to games up front. He is quick to set the edge and knows how to get a good fit with his hands but will struggle when speed rushers transfer that speed into power. He can be inconsistent with his footwork and is not an elite athlete for the position but there is enough there to make an eventual starter at left tackle.

Strengths:
Bulaga has great size and speed for the tackle position. Displays initial quickness getting back into his pass protection set and off the ball in the running game. Plays with sound technique. Is a cerebral player. Bulaga’s really competitive, plays until the whistle and will really finish his blocks. Productive in college.

Weaknesses:
There are questions about his lower body strength to hold up at the point of attack and drive defenders backwards. Bulaga can be inconsistent with his footwork when asked to deal with speed rushers or move laterally. Is not a great knee bender.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DYk6GzwHC4"]YouTube- LT Bryan Bulaga Highlights/Lowlights 2009/2008 Iowa[/ame]

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice! I am a Hawkeyes fan here in Iowa and was really disappointed to see Kampman go.

Now I have Bryan Baluga to cheer me up!

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yikes!

Listening to a Bryan Baluga interview from Packers.com draft room.

Bryan just said he grew up a Bears fan!:nono:

LOL, he then said that his allegence obiously just changed!:happy0005:

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
He didn't look to happy, I hope his work ethic is for his employer not the NFL team he cheered for when he was young.

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice! I am a Hawkeyes fan here in Iowa and was really disappointed to see Kampman go.

Now I have Bryan Baluga to cheer me up!

Same here man, same here! Hopefully the next Verba, except as a LT

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't look to happy, I hope his work ethic is for his employer not the NFL team he cheered for when he was young.

I have watched several interviews of him this week. He always appeared even keiled in his emotions.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off way to go TT for initiating that perfect smokescreen! I mean he really did throw off a lot of people by suggesting he thought our Oline was good.

Next what I'd like to say to every Packer fan is that Bulaga is a solid pick but not one that makes me ecstatic. I'm a bit impartial to him for the time being. Yes he's projected as a franchise LT but his skillset doesn't really show that. Like PackersRS mentioned a couple of days ago, Clifton is guy who gets by with being a technician. If you look at Bulaga he's the exact same way. Although having another Clifton isn't so bad, I thought the Packers could use an upgrade, not a Clifton-clone. Overall I give this pick a B+. Bulaga wouldn't be my first choice. Even if he doesn't pan out he'll definitely by our RT of the future and even beat out Daryn Colledge easily for the guard spot.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Nagler of CHTV interviewed him, and he said he "used to cheer for the Bears when they were hot".

That's a bummer right there, but he'll learn to love the Green and Gold.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off way to go TT for initiating that perfect smokescreen! I mean he really did throw off a lot of people by suggesting he thought our Oline was good.

Next what I'd like to say to every Packer fan is that Bulaga is a solid pick but not one that makes me ecstatic. I'm a bit impartial to him for the time being. Yes he's projected as a franchise LT but his skillset doesn't really show that. Like PackersRS mentioned a couple of days ago, Clifton is guy who gets by with being a technician. If you look at Bulaga he's the exact same way. Although having another Clifton isn't so bad, I thought the Packers could use an upgrade, not a Clifton-clone. Overall I give this pick a B+. Bulaga wouldn't be my first choice. Even if he doesn't pan out he'll definitely by our RT of the future and even beat out Daryn Colledge easily for the guard spot.
We suddenly have a GREAT starting OL with Clifton/ Lang or Bulaga/ Wells/ Sitton/ Tauscher.

Bulaga on the team gives the flexibility of Lang playing LG, the weak spot of the line, or even him being the LG...

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I said this already in another thread, but my brother who is an aspiring mel kiper jr. told me during the orange bowl to watch bulaga, and that he would be a good fit for the pack. I definatley agree with him!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Via Bulaga's Twitter:
Happy to be a Packer!! Thanks to all the fans for the great posts!!

2 exclamation points, people. He's probably hates the Bears already with that kind of commitment.

PLFA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you do the Poles also proud, Bryan :fan_1:
gazetteonline.com/sports/2009/08/07/bulaga-polish-powerful-and-proud

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get it? Why is it sooo many people peg us as OT main need and now that we have one no one is all that happy about it? Satisfied but not happy.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We suddenly have a GREAT starting OL with Clifton/ Lang or Bulaga/ Wells/ Sitton/ Tauscher.

Bulaga on the team gives the flexibility of Lang playing LG, the weak spot of the line, or even him being the LG...
I would say it was an improvement, but calling a O-line that had major problems last year.........then suddenly its greeat after drafting Bulaga.....is stretching it. You wanna see the most improved line this year. Look at what SF 49ers did yesterday. Left Tackle and a OG in the first. Singeltary is going to have a line that wears out defenses in the first half and dominates them in the second half.

I am definitely happy we got Bulaga though. Soooooo.......who on our roster is going to get the AXE???

Members online

Latest posts