15th overall pick

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welp! Let’s **** around with this one folks. Who ya think? I say Mayer the TE from ND, or trade it to get in the top 10! and get the Alabama S, Branch. At least right now lol!

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welp! Let’s **** around with this one folks. Who ya think? I say Mayer the TE from ND, or trade it to get in the top 10! and get the Alabama S, Branch. At least right now lol!

Nope. Trading up to me is NOT the right move in this draft IMO.

Everyone has known since spring I love Mayer and believe he is a top ten prospect, but even I struggle positionally picking a TE at 15, I’d not be mad and truly would be excited but I’m thinking if we sit tight that pick is better used on a pass rusher, a TOPs CB and move Douglas to Safety or have the rookie switch to Safety or maybe go after even a WR (although not a fan as I love the depth into the top 125 pick area for WRs.

Perfect world we find a trade back in the 20-31 range, nab Mayer or a top 5 edge and pick up some valuable additions picks this year or next for a team in rebuild/reset.

Just my thoughts tho.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With all that scoring by Georgia you would have thought Darnell Washington would have had more than 1 catch last night.
Quentin Johnson didn’t exactly light it up either. But I am sure these two are going to be stars in the underwear Olympics.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s say that Aaron Rodgers retires and the Packers go in full rebuild mode with Jordan Love and they blow up the band which means they teade Aaron Jones. To take a lot of pressure off of Love I am going to go out on a limb here and say that we could pick a franchise back by the name of Bijan Robinson out of Texas.
Here is what a scout had to say.
It's rare that the best pure runner is also the best pure receiver; that's what makes Bijan unique," said an area scout. "He can legitimately go run routes like a true receiver. His skill set is more Marshall Faulk than any of those guys. Saquon can obviously win in the passing game, but he's not out running routes like Reggie Bush (Bijan does). His ball skills are as good as the top receivers in this class.

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the trend leans towards a two back system these days, but Robinson is well worthy of a top 15 pick. He also is durable and very high character. This could also be a fan base pick. A player that fans can get excited about. If we are going to be dumping contracts on players that fans loved, they are going to need someone to make them forget and be excited for the future. I would never pick running back in the first round, but this year I would.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s say that Aaron Rodgers retires and the Packers go in full rebuild mode with Jordan Love and they blow up the band which means they teade Aaron Jones. To take a lot of pressure off of Love I am going to go out on a limb here and say that we could pick a franchise back by the name of Bijan Robinson out of Texas.
Here is what a scout had to say.
It's rare that the best pure runner is also the best pure receiver; that's what makes Bijan unique," said an area scout. "He can legitimately go run routes like a true receiver. His skill set is more Marshall Faulk than any of those guys. Saquon can obviously win in the passing game, but he's not out running routes like Reggie Bush (Bijan does). His ball skills are as good as the top receivers in this class.

Allow Jones to walk? He is under contract for two more years - options are cut him, trade him or restructure...walking isn't one of them.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Jones. Draft Robinson. I do not want to see him fall to the Lions and have to face them for the next 8-10 years with a bigger, better pass catching version of Barry Sanders all over again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a team trading for Jones and his contract. It's always been a restructure this offseason or cut situation. I suppose they could re-work it somehow, but that is almost a guarantee GB will be on the hook for money up front to move him. Unless I suppose there is just some team he's dying to play for and does what no play in the NFL ever does and leaves money on the table just for the opportunity to play.

I don't think there's another team that would like to sign him to another 3-4 year contract and would pay him another signing bonus. GB would have to decrease his salary and move some of it to a bonus paid before the trade and i'm not in favor of taking on more dead cap.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayer at 15 seems pretty realistic; that plus a FA/trade acquisition at WR would mostly keep me placated...

If one of Johnston or Addison happened to fall to us though I'd take one of them without hesitation either...

And yeah - if we decide to move on from Jones I would not be opposed to picking up Robinson although it kind of depends on positional value and where we could get him...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayer at 15 seems pretty realistic; that plus a FA/trade acquisition at WR would mostly keep me placated...

If one of Johnston or Addison happened to fall to us though I'd take one of them without hesitation either...

And yeah - if we decide to move on from Jones I would not be opposed to picking up Robinson although it kind of depends on positional value and where we could get him...

I mimic this till the last part. Yes, I think Robinson is special and by far the best RB but there are numerous examples of it is rarely worthy of drafting RB this high and I truly would rather draft a surefire starting Tackle, a WR weapon, Mayer or even a high end EDGE defender from a now and future value stance and pick up like a Chase Brown or similar in the 4th for RB help even if Jones leaves.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking more like if you get the sense he's going to fall a little and can trade down and pick him up maybe late 1st. I don't think it's a great value at 15....

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are not drafting a RB at 15 lol
Agreed, hence "although it kind of depends on positional value and where we could get him..."

Then again to be fair I'm sure not long ago it was "We are not trading up to draft a QB at 26" or "We are not drafting a RB in the 2nd when we already have Jones and Williams"....

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade Jones. Draft Robinson. I do not want to see him fall to the Lions and have to face them for the next 8-10 years with a bigger, better pass catching version of Barry Sanders all over again.
They might be done with the often injured Swift and Williams will be a free agent. Yeah, I don’t want him going to the Lions either.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is one SPECIFIC situation where you trade up to 8-10. If a.) You KNOW Jordan Love is not the guy and B.) Will Levis gets past 7. NO other situation is acceptable on a 'trade up' situation.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is one SPECIFIC situation where you trade up to 8-10. If a.) You KNOW Jordan Love is not the guy and B.) Will Levis gets past 7. NO other situation is acceptable on a 'trade up' situation.

I don’t always agree with your draft plans or takes but I’m 1,000 percent in the same boat here. You do not trade into top ten for anything but a franchise qb swing

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple logic is to restructure him and actually USE him in the offense…

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple logic is to restructure him and actually USE him in the offense…
There are 3 or 4 backs you can replace Jones with all available by the end of the 4th round. We need 1, Jones has had injury issues, and he will hit that running back wall shortly after his contract comes up. Pick up one of these guys, and let Jones walk.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are 3 or 4 backs you can replace Jones with all available by the end of the 4th round. We need 1, Jones has had injury issues, and he will hit that running back wall shortly after his contract comes up. Pick up one of these guys, and let Jones walk.

I highly doubt there are several running backs available on day three who the Packers can be sure about that any of them will adequately replace Jones.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sees Mayer as a slightly worse Hockensen who will never become an elite receiving TE? He'll be reliable and a decent blocker but he doesn't have the athleticism that the truly elite tight ends have. I just don't want to spend a 15th overall pick on a guy who will, at best, be TJ Hockensen, a great possession TE who won't help make an offense elite. Rookie tight ends generally don't do much for their first couple of seasons and Mayer lacks the elite athleticism of other tight ends that can dominate the passing game. The ability for the TE to block is, in my opinion, overrated since, if the TE is an elite receiver, you force the defense to cover the guy and remove a pass rusher from the equation by forcing the defense to cover the TE in a passing route. So unless you think Mayer will be an elite blocker and an elite receiver, I think a first round pick is a waste.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt there are several running backs available on day three who the Packers can be sure about that any of them will adequately replace Jones.

I mean, they took one in the second and were wrong so I'm not sure how anyone can be sure a guy will be there in the 3rd or 4th.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one who sees Mayer as a slightly worse Hockensen who will never become an elite receiving TE? He'll be reliable and a decent blocker but he doesn't have the athleticism that the truly elite tight ends have. I just don't want to spend a 15th overall pick on a guy who will, at best, be TJ Hockensen, a great possession TE who won't help make an offense elite. Rookie tight ends generally don't do much for their first couple of seasons and Mayer lacks the elite athleticism of other tight ends that can dominate the passing game. The ability for the TE to block is, in my opinion, overrated since, if the TE is an elite receiver, you force the defense to cover the guy and remove a pass rusher from the equation by forcing the defense to cover the TE in a passing route. So unless you think Mayer will be an elite blocker and an elite receiver, I think a first round pick is a waste.

I truthfully think Mayer will be a poor man's gronk worse case. That said I believe the athleticism makes Darnell Washington almost a better second round target than Mayer in the first given TE position. Luke Musgrave is also a beast....Mayer is the clear best TE in the bunch day 1 IMO...but the gap and their ceilings change things IMO.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truthfully think Mayer will be a poor man's gronk worse case. That said I believe the athleticism makes Darnell Washington almost a better second round target than Mayer in the first given TE position. Luke Musgrave is also a beast....Mayer is the clear best TE in the bunch day 1 IMO...but the gap and their ceilings change things IMO.

Gronk was MUCH bigger and more physical. If we're saying poor man's Gronk then we're truly talking below the poverty line here.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts