15th overall pick

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for sure, and you touch on one aspect of Gute's tendencies lean towards younger prospects rather than those fifth or sixth year senior.

If Gute is sitting there and sees a more field ready edge right this second but one that seems completely physiqued out, tapped out potential vs the younger perhaps more raw guy that maybe tick behind now but everything indicates to the in house scouts the prospect has a ceiling much higher - Gute is likely to call the second guys name.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There are a number of tackles outside of the current popular names that are interesting to me and could be 1st round options:

Darnell Wright (Tennessee)
Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse)
Dawand Jones (Ohio State)

Tackles come at a premium and tend to go high, even when they're in the 2nd tier.

Last year, Penning went 19th and Tyler Smith at #24.

Alex Leatherwood went 17th in 2021.

Austin Jackson went 18th in 2020.

Andre Dillard and Tytus Howard went 22nd and 23rd in 2019.

Etc.

The point being that if a strong option at OT is available at #15, you'd better take him rather than expecting to find your guy later.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a number of tackles outside of the current popular names that are interesting to me and could be 1st round options:

Darnell Wright (Tennessee)
Matthew Bergeron (Syracuse)
Dawand Jones (Ohio State)

Tackles come at a premium and tend to go high, even when they're in the 2nd tier.

Last year, Penning went 19th and Tyler Smith at #24.

Alex Leatherwood went 17th in 2021.

Austin Jackson went 18th in 2020.

Andre Dillard and Tytus Howard went 22nd and 23rd in 2019.

Etc.

The point being that if a strong option at OT is available at #15, you'd better take him rather than expecting to find your guy later.

Allow me to derail this thread's focus on first round just to express some LOVE on a couple other Tackle prospects I REALLY like:

I got a 2nd/3rd rounder for you I think you'll fall in love with Jaelyn Duncan....surprisingly broke 80 inch wingspan with 33.5 inch arm length but this man did everything asked of him, went to Senior Bowl and at times was the best there...

A guy I think is just going to keep skyrocketing up boards and catch eyes similar to Cole Strange did (although he won't go top 64 IMO but 3rd round is a real possibility I personally think)....almost ready to christen him my Zach Tom Day 3 crush is McClendon Curtis out of Chattanooga; 6'5' 331lbs 35 inch arms and an 84 inch wingspan (10.5 inch mitts to boot!). If it weren't for Dawand Jones stealing the show his measurables I think get seen more. Dude had some excellent reps at Senior Bowl and I personally had all most worries washed away of him not perhaps able to handle better pass rushers coming from Chattanooga.

In Wednesday practices many had him with the most wins working inside, but when Dawand wasn't present he continued to win outside at Tackle (the spot he mainly held down for the Mocs recently).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of controversy right now around Jalin Hyatt and where his draft projection should place him in mocks. Lance Zierlein mocked him at #12, while PFF simulators have him available in the 3rd round. I think the following is relevant:

2022: Jameson Williams goes 12th despite heading for a redshirt season.
2021: Jaylen Waddle goes 6th overall
2020: Henry Ruggs goes 12th overall
2019: Hollywood Brown is the first WR off the board at pick #25
2018: John Ross is selected at #9 overall
2017: Will Fuller goes at #21
2015: Kevin White drafted at #7

The point being that if you're a legit speedster who can stress a defense vertically, you will typically go very early even if you're far from a complete WR. Hyatt is not a well-rounded player at all, but what he is very good at can be a force multiplier for an offense. I'm not saying he's a lock to go in round 1, but I think that's far more likely than day 2 if he runs well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The more I watched the playoffs and then the SB, the more I hope the Packers draft Mayer and somehow he develops into a Travis Kelce, Kittle or Hochenson type TE. It won't matter if it is Rodgers or Love @ QB, the Packers have been lacking an impact TE for too long.

My "fear" is that Mayer will shine at the combine/Pro Days and much like TJ Hochenson, jump up to a top ten pick and the Packers won't have a chance to get him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of controversy right now around Jalin Hyatt and where his draft projection should place him in mocks. Lance Zierlein mocked him at #12, while PFF simulators have him available in the 3rd round. I think the following is relevant:

The point being that if you're a legit speedster who can stress a defense vertically, you will typically go very early even if you're far from a complete WR. Hyatt is not a well-rounded player at all, but what he is very good at can be a force multiplier for an offense. I'm not saying he's a lock to go in round 1, but I think that's far more likely than day 2 if he runs well.
just to talk about The Pack. Watson is a field stretcher and I was surprised we did not try stretching the field more with Doubs as he looked pretty good doing it during pre-season.

D

Deleted member 6794

just to talk about The Pack. Watson is a field stretcher and I was surprised we did not try stretching the field more with Doubs as he looked pretty good doing it during pre-season.

Doubs is definitely not a receiver to stretch the field.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubs is definitely not a receiver to stretch the field.

All by how you desire to do it, straight line speed or routes. Doubs showcased in college and in preseason a few times that he can and will threaten a defense vertically. Not his primary delivery of goods though for sure, Lazard isn’t a burner but for sure makes deep plays each year.

I’m on the team of adding a sub 4.4 type slot guy would be an excellent compliment to the style of guys Watson and Doubs are, and to be fair Doubs could be all the more deadly if we have multiple pure speed deep guys

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it is just semantics, maybe just a bit of disagreement of terms/definition but I don't consider "field stretcher" to necessarily be the same thing as "guy who can make a big play from time to time"
It depends. A field stretcher does not always do so with speed. Great fakes and a fast release can be very effective.

All by how you desire to do it, straight line speed or routes. Doubs showcased in college and in preseason a few times that he can and will threaten a defense vertically. Not his primary delivery of goods though for sure, Lazard isn’t a burner but for sure makes deep plays each year.

I’m on the team of adding a sub 4.4 type slot guy would be an excellent compliment to the style of guys Watson and Doubs are, and to be fair Doubs could be all the more deadly if we have multiple pure speed deep guys

For me a guy who "stretches the field" is more akin to the type of guy who "keeps the defense honest" if you know what I mean. I would consider Watson a "field stretcher" because of his elite speed. Defenders know he has that speed and they have to play accordingly. They can't let him get a step on them because if they do he's gone. With Watson and other speedy type receivers it often causes the DB to have to play "back" a little bit to make it less likely that their opponent (Watson or whoever) can get behind them. In this way they literally do "stretch the field" as they give your offense a bigger space to operate by requiring the defense to stay a bit more honest.

While it's true that guys like Lazard or Doubs or whoever can definitely get open by running a good route or having a good release I don't really consider that to be the same thing - defenders aren't having to play with a cushion on Doubs or Lazard because they know they can torch them if they get a free step.

Like I said maybe it is semantics but I guess for me the short of it is that I would consider a "field stretcher" to basically be a player who's a home-run threat just about every play. I think of guys like Tyreek Hill, Waddle, Diggs, our own Watson, and so on. Guys who pretty much have the pure physical gifts to go all the way on any given play. That's not to say Doubs or Lazard are bad by any means but I don't put them in that same "field stretcher" or "keeps the defense honest" type of category as some of those others.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe it is just semantics, maybe just a bit of disagreement of terms/definition but I don't consider "field stretcher" to necessarily be the same thing as "guy who can make a big play from time to time"

For me a guy who "stretches the field" is more akin to the type of guy who "keeps the defense honest" if you know what I mean. I would consider Watson a "field stretcher" because of his elite speed. Defenders know he has that speed and they have to play accordingly. They can't let him get a step on them because if they do he's gone. With Watson and other speedy type receivers it often causes the DB to have to play "back" a little bit to make it less likely that their opponent (Watson or whoever) can get behind them. In this way they literally do "stretch the field" as they give your offense a bigger space to operate by requiring the defense to stay a bit more honest.

While it's true that guys like Lazard or Doubs or whoever can definitely get open by running a good route or having a good release I don't really consider that to be the same thing - defenders aren't having to play with a cushion on Doubs or Lazard because they know they can torch them if they get a free step.

Like I said maybe it is semantics but I guess for me the short of it is that I would consider a "field stretcher" to basically be a player who's a home-run threat just about every play. I think of guys like Tyreek Hill, Waddle, Diggs, our own Watson, and so on. Guys who pretty much have the pure physical gifts to go all the way on any given play. That's not to say Doubs or Lazard are bad by any means but I don't put them in that same "field stretcher" or "keeps the defense honest" type of category as some of those others.

I couldn't have said it any better, well done ;)

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Love what high picks did you know without a doubt at time of drafting they were not going to be impactful players - I want your crystal ball and I bet Gute does to because the draft is a crapshoot with no guaranteed impactful players...just more likely or less likely and that is only if your scouting process is right.
Justin Harrell seems to be a pretty good answer here.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think 3-cone tends to correlate better with slot players than 40 does. Cooper Kupp (4.62 40, 6.75 3-cone) and Julian Edelman (4.52 40, 6.62 3-cone) are probably the best recent slot receivers and neither has sub 4.4 speed in the 40.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers under Gutekunst selected too many players that were projected to develop into impact players down the road instead of ones that would have had an immediate impact over the past few years.

That's not the best approach consideringh they should have gone all-in as long as Rodgers is around.
When you are consistently picking late in round 1, what are you expecting? An immediate impact player? Good luck and yes, I know that there have been, so I don't need you to cherry pick a list. But sift through the last 20 first rounds and look at the players chosen 15th and later, you will see that many were not the impact player you are talking about.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like this useful information I agree that If he has a good combine he will go in the first round

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In that case most folks felt the same of Rashan Gary from my memory.
My only surprise with the Gary pick was that we had just signed 2 high priced FA OLB's ( Z Dog and Preston Smith). Given Gary played for the Wolverines, I knew a lot about him. Just felt like a "luxury" that we didn't need at the time. Turned out to be a great pick so far.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw yet another mock draft that had the Packers taking TE Dalton Kincaid at #15, with Mike Mayer going late in the first round to the Bengals. Anyone know anything about Kincaid, and why he might be considered better than Mayer? Thanks all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only surprise with the Gary pick was that we had just signed 2 high priced FA OLB's ( Z Dog and Preston Smith). Given Gary played for the Wolverines, I knew a lot about him. Just felt like a "luxury" that we didn't need at the time. Turned out to be a great pick so far.
Agreed, and at the time I thought the Packers had blown a #12 overall pick. First thought wrong. Gluten is pretty good at looking farther down the road, although I'm not sure he could have known Z would lose a season to injury, or that Gary would someday start making sacks he didn't make at MI. Anyway, it worked out well.

On the topic, I'd love an offensive player, preferably a TE in round 1. But the Van Ness guy has been moving up the charts at Edge. I still would rather have a TE like Mayer or Kincaid. But Gary will miss some time and Smith is on the decline. Great defense used to equate to championships. As the last SB showed, that's not true anymore. Go with a TE or stud WR.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw yet another mock draft that had the Packers taking TE Dalton Kincaid at #15, with Mike Mayer going late in the first round to the Bengals. Anyone know anything about Kincaid, and why he might be considered better than Mayer? Thanks all.
Speed and receiving skills might be a step up. Blocking maybe a step back.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kincaid is the worst blocker out of the top 5 TEs (Musgrave, Mayer, Washington, Kraft, Kincaid).

Both from the amount times he was asked to block, but just in the execution of those times. Honestly, technique wise Musgrave is the best, strength and bully blocking easily Washington/Kraft take that cake IMO with Mayer the mix of both. Kincaid can block was more the Utes receiving threat

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good year for TE's. I think if you want to surround Love with talent you trade Rodgers for 13 and Elijah Moore (who has a good 4.35 40 and a great 3-cone at like 6.7 or something last I checked so presumably would be a good slot option in this offense) take the best option at TE and then best safety available. Then BPA the rest of the draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good year for TE's. I think if you want to surround Love with talent you trade Rodgers for 13 and Elijah Moore (who has a good 4.35 40 and a great 3-cone at like 6.7 or something last I checked so presumably would be a good slot option in this offense) take the best option at TE and then best safety available. Then BPA the rest of the draft.
I would be ecstatic if things shook out this way GNG.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts