14 minutes

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the Pack vs Cheaters game I finally got around to my experiment with my stop watch.
Starting and stopping it from the snap of the football to when the play was over.
It all added up to a total of 14 min 17 seconds of action.
Which means that there is about 45 minutes of players just standing around or getting to the huddle to the line of scrimmage etc.
Amazing how they can turn a 15 min. game into 3 plus hours!
So thankful for the DVR to FF through the commercials.
Also amazing at how little actual work, just 15 min. a week, for all the money these guys make.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also amazing at how little actual work, just 15 min. a week, for all the money these guys make.

I mean, that's kind of an odd way of putting it. I would put the countless hours of training to stay in top physical condition, detailed review of game film, numerous drills and practice sessions, and tedious study of the playbook all in the category of "actual work" also, but that's just me.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not gonna lie it is very interesting how much money athletes actually make compared to frickin real world people doing meaningful jobs and helping people.. like what if players didn’t get paid like they used to or how many players would actually play for fun free. Not one ******** player would in all honesty nfl players today are all primadonnas lol... and we get upset when they lose.... lmao

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, this is not unusual in a lot of sports. Look at the amount of time a baseball player is actually swinging, or running, or throwing. Hardly any time and baseball games last longer than football. Golf is split seconds every shot and lasts 4 hours. Soccer is just a bunch of jogging around, until one goal is scored over 90 minutes. These sports make crazy money as well. While the actual amount of energy exerted to make a play is a small amount over the entire real time of a game, what these athletes are able to do with their skill is unreal. And it’s a lot more work than just the game itself, it’s the studying, training, and lifestyle these atheltes all live day to day that determine their paychecks. A football game has a lot more that goes into it than the 15 minutes of play.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, this is not unusual in a lot of sports. Look at the amount of time a baseball player is actually swinging, or running, or throwing. Hardly any time and baseball games last longer than football. Golf is split seconds every shot and lasts 4 hours. Soccer is just a bunch of jogging around, until one goal is scored over 90 minutes. These sports make crazy money as well. While the actual amount of energy exerted to make a play is a small amount over the entire real time of a game, what these athletes are able to do with their skill is unreal. And it’s a lot more work than just the game itself, it’s the studying, training, and lifestyle these atheltes all live day to day that determine their paychecks. A football game has a lot more that goes into it than the 15 minutes of play.
It gives me a new respect for soccer players who I now see as putting in a lot more endurance of all that running around on that big field compared to an NFL player.
Soccer is non stop action while in football it's start for a couple seconds, stop for a long time, start for a couple more seconds etc till the end of the game.
It is no longer a wonder why soccer is the world's #1 sport and why football will never catch on.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, that's kind of an odd way of putting it. I would put the countless hours of training to stay in top physical condition, detailed review of game film, numerous drills and practice sessions, and tedious study of the playbook all in the category of "actual work" also, but that's just me.
That is true and the only time we get to see any of that is each pre-season of HBO's Hard Knocks.
But I still think they are overpaid for what amounts to very little entertainment for us each week.
What does EVERYONE talk about after each SB?
The big and awesome plays?
Nope. The commercials.
It's getting to be where the game is the filler in between them.
I just think it's too bad that more air time is given to the ads then to the game itself.

D

Deleted member 6794

NFL players will make a ton of money as long as the league creates $10+ billion in revenue each season. The only thing fans can about it is to stop spensing money on the product if they desire to do so.

Reaction score
I would put the countless hours of training to stay in top physical condition, detailed review of game film, numerous drills and practice sessions, and tedious study of the playbook all in the category of "actual work" also, but that's just me.

Are you referring to the Packers???? LOL

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the Pack vs Cheaters game I finally got around to my experiment with my stop watch.
Starting and stopping it from the snap of the football to when the play was over.
It all added up to a total of 14 min 17 seconds of action.
Which means that there is about 45 minutes of players just standing around or getting to the huddle to the line of scrimmage etc.
Amazing how they can turn a 15 min. game into 3 plus hours!
So thankful for the DVR to FF through the commercials.
7.5 mins. When u consider offense or defense. And a punter probably puts in less than 40 seconds a week. Makes you wonder why players get winded out there.

Interesting look at it, thanks for sharing.

As far as salaries . . . The market pays what it pays. I'm glad the player get so much and not just the owners.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It gives me a new respect for soccer players who I now see as putting in a lot more endurance of all that running around on that big field compared to an NFL player.
Soccer is non stop action while in football it's start for a couple seconds, stop for a long time, start for a couple more seconds etc till the end of the game.
It is no longer a wonder why soccer is the world's #1 sport and why football will never catch on.

I'll watch an occasional soccer game when there's a good story line. As I've watched turnover after turnover and waited for an actual shot on goal, I've thought about the continuous action thing myself. While the players are admittedly on their feet the whole time (except for flopping episodes), there are a lot of pauses for the throw-ins, corner kicks, penalties, et. al. More significantly is the time off that the defenders get when the ball is in the other half of the field and, to a lesser degree, the reverse for the frontline folks. Somebody that cares should put a stopwatch on a particular player or position and see how often they're actually running. May be a whole lot more than I think, but it still looks like they get plenty of chances to catch their breath.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Soccer is non stop action
Time to call bull on this one. The ball continues to move but watch the players, They jog to a spot then wait for the ball to get into their area, When the ball is close they are moving. When the strikers have the ball, the defenders loll about the midfield line waiting for something to do. They at most are trotting side to side, depending on how much offensive pressure they want to apply.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to call bull on this one. The ball continues to move but watch the players, They jog to a spot then wait for the ball to get into their area, When the ball is close they are moving. When the strikers have the ball, the defenders loll about the midfield line waiting for something to do. They at most are trotting side to side, depending on how much offensive pressure they want to apply.

You’ve clearly never played soccer. Read the article I linked above. The average professional player runs 7 miles in a 90 minute game. Some run up to 9.5 miles in 90 minutes.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with everything here, the "yes, but". Are they talking about running those seven or moving that far? If I remember correctly, and I might not, a brisk walk is about four MPH. Thus, someone out for a healthy stroll would cover six of those seven in an hour and half. And, the walker would have halftime. :)

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7.5 mins. When u consider offense or defense. And a punter probably puts in less than 40 seconds a week. Makes you wonder why players get winded out there.

Players get winded out there because the work they do is very hard. Rushing the passer for anymore than 5 plays in a row is exhausting. Yes, you rush for 3 seconds ball is gone, but what if it’s 2 minute drill, they complete a pass 20 yards downfield, you now need to run back to the line, get the play, get set, rush the passer again. All of this is done with the expectation of making a play, as your job is on the line. Running route after route full speed is exhausting, especially when having to go make a play. These guys all exert themselves more in 1 game than most of us do in all of our day to day lives

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players get winded out there because the work they do is very hard. Rushing the passer for anymore than 5 plays in a row is exhausting. Yes, you rush for 3 seconds ball is gone, but what if it’s 2 minute drill, they complete a pass 20 yards downfield, you now need to run back to the line, get the play, get set, rush the passer again. All of this is done with the expectation of making a play, as your job is on the line. Running route after route full speed is exhausting, especially when having to go make a play. These guys all exert themselves more in 1 game than most of us do in all of our day to day lives
Very true. My comment was mostly in jest. Hell, I get winded getting the mail, I am nobody to talk.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with everything here, the "yes, but". Are they talking about running those seven or moving that far? If I remember correctly, and I might not, a brisk walk is about four MPH. Thus, someone out for a healthy stroll would cover six of those seven in an hour and half. And, the walker would have halftime. :)

I think they estimate something like 36% of that is sprinting

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The players earn what they make. If I write a couple million dollars worth of insurance for my company I am going to be compensated very well. In the same way, these players have very unique gifts which they use to fill 80K seat stadiums, sell millions and millions in swag and force TV networks to go Battle Royal in hopes of offering enough money for the right to broadcast said gifts. The moment we quit consuming their content (TV and at the stadium) and buying their gear you would see their salaries drop like a lead balloon.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not gonna lie it is very interesting how much money athletes actually make compared to frickin real world people doing meaningful jobs and helping people.. like what if players didn’t get paid like they used to or how many players would actually play for fun free. Not one ******** player would in all honesty nfl players today are all primadonnas lol... and we get upset when they lose.... lmao
****..you and others would be out there if you had their skills

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My man you might as well throw entertainers in that category also. Don't blame the players for being primadonnas blame the league the owners. How much you think the owners of the teams making if theyre paying these players that much? Im all for the athletes getting as much money as they can.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fine.
But you gotta admit that our football players aren't doing much either since the majority of the time, in this case about 45 minutes, they are just standing or walking around waiting for the ball to snap.

Members online

Latest posts