NFL Weekly Predictions Contest: Week 14

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milani still leads our contest. No one hit any correct scores (bingos) in week 13. Although, Miami's 45-15 blasting of the Commanders was a Scoragami.

Whether you're doing this for the first time, or you have played previously...

ALL are welcome to play along!!

Guess the score of each team of each game...
Each game you pick the correct winner of: 5 points
If you pick correctly on at least half the games scheduled for the week earns a 20 points bonus
If you pick correctly on at least 75% of the games earns a 40 point bonus (plus the previous 20 points).
If you get all but one of the
games correct nets 100 bonus points (plus the 20 & 40 from above)
Guess right on all the games and enjoy a free 150 points (plus the previous 20, 40 & 100) Good luck!

Please enter your scores for the 15 games below.

Thursday

New England @ Pittsburgh

Sunday
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Detroit @ Chicago
Indianapolis @ Cincinnati
Jacksonville @ Cleveland
Carolina @ New Orleans
Houston @ NY Jets
LA Rams @ Baltimore
Minnesota @ Las Vegas
Seattle @ San Francisco
Buffalo @ Kansas City
Denver @ LA Chargers
Philadelphia @ Dallas

Monday
Tennessee @ Miami
Green Bay @ NY Giants

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milani still leads our contest. No one hit any correct scores (bingos) in week 13. Although, Miami's 45-15 blasting of the Commanders was a Scoragami.

If you pick correctly on at least half the games scheduled for the week earns a 20 points bonus
If you pick correctly on at least 75% of the games earns a 40 point bonus (plus the previous 20 points).
Guess right on all the games and enjoy a free 150 points (plus the previous 20, 40 & 100) Good luck!

Thursday

New England @ Pittsburgh

Sunday
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Detroit @ Chicago
Jacksonville @ Cleveland
Carolina @ New Orleans
Houston @ NY Jets
LA Rams @ Baltimore
Minnesota @ Las Vegas
Seattle @ San Francisco
Buffalo @ Kansas City
Denver @ LA Chargers
Philadelphia @ Dallas

Monday
Tennessee @ Miami
Green Bay @ NY Giants
2 MNF games!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian Cheddar - With my streaming service, I get TV from everywhere. In fact, I'm watching the CBC News out of Fredricton right now. They talked about the homeless problem in St. Stephen, and are talking about Covid right now. Four more dead they say.

Just before the news, it was the British Baking Show, which is one of my favorite TV shows. We've been watching it for years.

It's amazing what you can do, streaming.

OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Canadian Cheddar - With my streaming service, I get TV from everywhere. In fact, I'm watching the CBC News out of Fredricton right now. They talked about the homeless problem in St. Stephen, and are talking about Covid right now. Four more dead they say.

Just before the news, it was the British Baking Show, which is one of my favorite TV shows. We've been watching it for years.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So any good baked goods to make if we do get in the postseason?

OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you can likely tell from the local news, there's not a lot going on around here. It's cold though, currently -8°C = 18 F. The CBC does a good job with international and our national news. My favorite CBC program is The Nature of Things. A very long running show.
The homeless situation is worsening with our crazy high housing and rentals costs. St. Stephen is about 75 miles southwest from where I am, on the border opposite Calais, Maine.
From the message you sent the other day, I think that you're near the Rio Grande down there. What town/city are you in/near, in case I want to check out your local news.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As you can likely tell from the local news, there's not a lot going on around here. It's cold though, currently -8°C = 18 F. The CBC does a good job with international and our national news. My favorite CBC program is The Nature of Things. A very long running show.
The homeless situation is worsening with our crazy high housing and rentals costs. St. Stephen is about 75 miles southwest from where I am, on the border opposite Calais, Maine.
From the message you sent the other day, I think that you're near the Rio Grande down there. What town/city are you in/near, in case I want to check out your local news.

I
Des Moines Iowa.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I
We're in Weslaco, TX. Seven miles from the border. A large international bridge nearby. Our TV stations are listed as Brownsville-Weslaco- McAllen. You'll love the weather report. They talk about cold waves when it's 55 degrees outside. LOL

We came here as what they call "Winter Texans." It's just like "Snow Birds" in Florida. We have sub-tropical weather, and even though it gets a tad cool now and then, we usually have weather in the 70s most days all winter. Our outdoor pool is open year round, and my Wife and I often go down there at about 8 AM on nice days and take a dip.

Almost everybody who comes here walks across the bridge, or drives into Mexico for shopping. A lot of it is people getting their medications. As an example, I use an albuterol inhaler. In the US it costs over $80, and I get them in Mexico for $7.50.

We're about an hour away from South Padre Island, which is a really nice Gulf of Mexico vacation spot. During spring break, with colleges, it's overrun with kids having a great time. Some have estimated well over 100,000 of them end up there because it's so nice, and some just sleep outside, next to their cars around the area because everything is full.

It's a different world down here though, compared to what we were used to. Being from Wisconsin, the four seasons, and the forests are something you don't get here.

So how warm is it down here, normally. For the last 8 years, I have only worn long pants 4 days, and that was when we had the worst cold weather down here in history, and the electrical grid went down. Other than that, I wear shorts.

If you like Mexican food, this is the place for it. Amazingly good, and it's the real thing, not Taco Bell. LOL

OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're in Weslaco, TX. Seven miles from the border. A large international bridge nearby. Our TV stations are listed as Brownsville-Weslaco- McAllen. You'll love the weather report. They talk about cold waves when it's 55 degrees outside. LOL

We came here as what they call "Winter Texans." It's just like "Snow Birds" in Florida. We have sub-tropical weather, and even though it gets a tad cool now and then, we usually have weather in the 70s most days all winter. Our outdoor pool is open year round, and my Wife and I often go down there at about 8 AM on nice days and take a dip.

Almost everybody who comes here walks across the bridge, or drives into Mexico for shopping. A lot of it is people getting their medications. As an example, I use an albuterol inhaler. In the US it costs over $80, and I get them in Mexico for $7.50.

We're about an hour away from South Padre Island, which is a really nice Gulf of Mexico vacation spot. During spring break, with colleges, it's overrun with kids having a great time. Some have estimated well over 100,000 of them end up there because it's so nice, and some just sleep outside, next to their cars around the area because everything is full.

It's a different world down here though, compared to what we were used to. Being from Wisconsin, the four seasons, and the forests are something you don't get here.

So how warm is it down here, normally. For the last 8 years, I have only worn long pants 4 days, and that was when we had the worst cold weather down here in history, and the electrical grid went down. Other than that, I wear shorts.

If you like Mexican food, this is the place for it. Amazingly good, and it's the real thing, not Taco Bell. LOL
Gee thanks for all that V. You've succeeded in making me feel cold and hungry.:unsure:;)

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had you pegged as being somewhere in Wisconsin. I had visited Iowa years ago. Although, I never got to Wisconsin, just looked at it across the Mississippi somewhere north of Dubuque.
I have lived in 6 states in the Midwest. Wisconsin was not one of them but I did visit it quite often.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Des Moines Iowa.
I did live not all that far from you at one time, South of Rockford, IL. I love the Quad City area. It's a beautiful place to live. It's population size surprises a lot of people.

It's funny how different areas evaluate population. The QC area is considered fairly populated when it comes to Midwest standards. Down here, in the Rio Grande Valley, The Brownsville, Weslaco, McAllen area has about 1,400,000 people, and they call it small by Texas standards. What's truly amazing is that in the last 40 years, the population of the Valley has doubled, and in the decade before that, it had doubled as well.

We have a lot of people from the QC area in our park. Lots of Iowans, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, and a smattering from all over the Midwest. Of the roughly 1,000 total in the park, 2/3 migrate back and forth. There's also one couple who comes over from Sweden, and owns a place, and about 75 Canadian retired couples as well. We also have a roughly 110 RV site which accommodates huge rigs, and is pretty much full from November into mid-April. They come from all over.

You wouldn't believe the entertainment in our park. It's non-stop. If you don't have anything to do, it's because you don't want to do anything. It's constantly humming. My wife and I refer to it as us living the lives of Ken and Barbie, 50 years later. :)

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thursday night - A tough one. Two totally inept QBs. Jones vs Trubisky. There has to be a joke somewhere in there.

Steelers 10 Patriots 7

OP
OP
Canadian Cheddar

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thursday night - A tough one. Two totally inept QBs. Jones vs Trubisky. There has to be a joke somewhere in there.

Steelers 10 Patriots 7
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Back in seventies and into nineties the AHL, the NHL's highest minor league had various teams in the Canadian Maritimes. From 1971 to 1984 the Montreal Canadiens team in Halifax, Nova Scotia was the Nova Scotia Voyaguers.
Later, the Quebec Junior Hockey League expanded into many of the markets that previously had AHL teams.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206-212837~2.png
    Screenshot_20231206-212837~2.png
    792.2 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score

I’ve gotta get down there. My work partner has been to S Padre like 5 times. It’s one of his favorite spots.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thursday

New England @ Pittsburgh

Sunday
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Detroit @ Chicago
Jacksonville @ Cleveland
Carolina @ New Orleans
Houston @ NY Jets
LA Rams @ Baltimore
Minnesota @ Las Vegas
Seattle @ San Francisco
Buffalo @ Kansas City
Denver @ LA Chargers
Philadelphia @ Dallas

Monday
Tennessee @ Miami
Green Bay @ NY Giants
Steelers 20 Patriots 10
Falcons 24 Bucs 20
Lions 31 Bears 20
Bengals 23 Colts 20
Browns 24 Jaguars 21
Saints 20 Panthers 13
Texans 20 Jets 13
Ravens 27 Rams 17
Vikings 27 Raiders 20
49ers 34 Seahawks 17
Chiefs 38 Bills 24
Chargers 24 Broncos 19
Cowboys 30 Eagles 24
Dolphins 31 Titans 17
Packers 24 Giants 20

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Back in seventies and into nineties the AHL, the NHL's highest minor league had various teams in the Canadian Maritimes. From 1971 to 1984 the Montreal Canadiens team in Halifax, Nova Scotia was the Nova Scotia Voyaguers.
Later, the Quebec Junior Hockey League expanded into many of the markets that previously had AHL teams.
Being of French Canadian descent, that warms my heart. I still follow some of the old family traditions, like tourtière for Christmas. :)

My family migrated to the US from Hawesbury, Ontario, in the late 1800s. My Brother and I are the first generation that isn't bilingual, French and English. I remember my Great-Grandmother (Mémère was what I called her in French), sitting in her rocker in front of a large bay window in her home in Menominee, Michigan. She'd try to mix in some English with her French when she'd speak to me. She was so kind, and had a big smile. She lived to nearly 100, and my Grandmother (her daughter) lived to 106. I'd sit on the floor, next to her, and she'd rest her hand on my head, sometimes stroking my hair.

Zad Fnark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being of French Canadian descent, that warms my heart. I still follow some of the old family traditions, like tourtière for Christmas. :)

My family migrated to the US from Hawesbury, Ontario, in the late 1800s. My Brother and I are the first generation that isn't bilingual, French and English. I remember my Great-Grandmother (Mémère was what I called her in French), sitting in her rocker in front of a large bay window in her home in Menominee, Michigan. She'd try to mix in some English with her French when she'd speak to me. She was so kind, and had a big smile. She lived to nearly 100, and my Grandmother (her daughter) lived to 106. I'd sit on the floor, next to her, and she'd rest her hand on my head, sometimes stroking my hair.

I just inherited a new French Canadian wing to the family. My son's new wife is from one of the 'burbs of Montreal. It took over a year for her to get her marriage visa to finally get to stay. Her whole family went nuts when we took them to the range to go shooting. They enjoyed every minute of it. The daughter in law would always bring me back some native maple whiskey which is always good.

Before I met her, I always imaged she would talk like "Mad Dog" Vachon. She actually sounds like one of us. She's probably a bit more English heavy than the rest of her family.

My Mom's father had a lot of French-Canadian heritage on his side.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just inherited a new French Canadian wing to the family. My son's new wife is from one of the 'burbs of Montreal. It took over a year for her to get her marriage visa to finally get to stay. Her whole family went nuts when we took them to the range to go shooting. They enjoyed every minute of it. The daughter in law would always bring me back some native maple whiskey which is always good.

Before I met her, I always imaged she would talk like "Mad Dog" Vachon. She actually sounds like one of us. She's probably a bit more English heavy than the rest of her family.

My Mom's father had a lot of French-Canadian heritage on his side.

Ask her about tourtière, and if her family served it at Christmas. It's an easy enough dish to make, and she might like the tradition. Some people don't, but our family does like it.

My family's roots go back into the 1600s, in Lachine, which is a suburb of Montreal. In fact, in 1689, a couple of my ancestors were killed when the Mohawk Indians attacked Lachine in 1689. My roots go back to a French soldier who was an Acadian. When he mustered out, he went to the Montreal area, where he married, and raised a family. I was even able to track him back, to France, and his parents, and beyond, believe it or not. In fact, I found lineage all the way into the mid 1500s.

Ancestry is interesting. On my wife's side, very interesting. A second cousin of Princess Diana on the Spencer side, and roots dating back to England and the early settlers of Virginia on the other. In fact, she has direct lineage to two soldiers, one an officer, who fought beside George Washington in the American Revolution, and a whole lot of relatives who fought on both sides, during the American Civil War.

On my second side, migration from Germany, back in the latter part of the 1880s, and settling in Northern Wisconsin, where my Grandfather was nicknamed "The Johnny Appleseed of The Midwest," by a writer for Ford Times, when an article was published about him and his work in stocking lakes with fish, long before anyone else was doing it. When he was still in Germany, he was a soldier, and a body guard for Kaiser Wilhelm, but was sent to the US by the Kaiser, because his life was threatened when he knocked one of the Kaiser's political enemies on his rear when he tried to touch the Kaiser. The man essentially put a contract out on his life, and the Kaiser liked him, so he gave him some money, and sent him away for his own protection.

Genealogy is fun, but it takes up a lot of time. It can also be very expensive. I'd suggest also doing DNA to go with it, because when you combine the two, you can get the facts correct, because DNA don't lie.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is a wonderful story! And to live to 100 and 106 is astounding. What you describe makes the meaning of family very special especially this time of year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How do the Steelers lose this after the Pats got shutout at home 4 days ago? It gets me more perturbed as to how we could have lost to this Steeler team.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do the Steelers lose this after the Pats got shutout at home 4 days ago? It gets me more perturbed as to how we could have lost to this Steeler team.
The curse of Mitch Trubisky. Wherever Mitch goes, losses pile up. The guy just can't win games. The Bears found that out the hard way.

Members online

Latest posts