1 Year Ago, Lynch may not have been a popular pick...

Reaction score
Last year, when the ZB scheme was announced, a lot of people on this board liked the idea because of 2 main reasons: O-linemen could be found easier and a lesser talented RB could excel in the scheme.

We had seen Denver constantly take RBs other teams overlooked, and turn them into stars.

Sure a lesser talented RB wouldn't scare the opposition terribly, but the end result would be the that we'd be able to get quality production from talent that would be second and third tier.

One year later, we are seeing a lot of people saying the Packers will (and should) draft Lynch.

Is it really necessary? Wasn't one of the reasons people were so excited about the new scheme was because we wouldn't need to necessarily find a RB in the first round, and thus we could look at other positions for improvement.

Given that, should the Packers think twice about selecting Lynch if he is there at the 16th pick?

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we still arent running the ZBS to perfection, hence we still need a play making RB.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I don't know that it is necessary but in the first you take the most value you can. He has a pretty complete game, Lynch that is, so does he give you more flexiblity overall? To me it is really how the draft breaks that will determine our pick in my opinion, in to me, TT should take the highest rated player on our board.

There isn't a spot on this team that couldn't use depth. So to me, take the player with the highest upside and impact today. Or trade down and garner more 1st day picks. If they stay, I hope it isn't a reach pick, it is the best available player period.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z got a good direction with this. Most value. I would add for your need. Obviously we take a highly rated RB over a QB. I would also ask this: So the zone blocking scheme helps lesser RBs become more. Well, then wouldn't an even better RB be better too? If we can put together any assemblence of a running game this year, then Brett can cut loose into single coverage. A running game should be our goal this (and every) year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now we need a RB like Lynch more than ever. Ahman has gone to greener pastures(thats clever in like 2 ways) and I don't think TT\MM are going to put all their eggs in the Morency\Herron basket at RB, regardless of what TT has said about Morency. I dont know if you've noticed this, but he has the habit of 'spinning the truth' in situations like those.

I expect Lynch or a Rb to be taken within the 1st 2 rounds.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay is not the Denver Broncos. The Broncos run the zone blocking scheme better than anyone. They coach it better and execute it better. The Packers are not on that level and they won't be for a while or maybe ever. They need talent to make up for that. Lynch is definitely talented and if he is the Packers guy they will take him. Lynch is also a good receiver out of the backfield. That's another added bonus to why the Packers might consider taking him.

Look at the Houston Texans last year. They ran the zone blocking scheme and had a bunch of backs on the level of Morency. They didn't do so well. So we need to stop comparing the Packers to the Denver Broncos because our offensive line does not execute the ZBS nearly as good as they do.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I already made this point in another thread, but I think it bears repeating:

Don't you find it interesting that Mike Shanahan, who should know more than anyone about the success of lower-tier RB's in the zone scheme, just spent a pile of money to bring in Travis Henry as a free agent, and last year he reached for Maurice Clarett in the third round, hoping to find an impact player at RB?

Unless Shanahan has lost his marbles--which I don't believe is the case--the lesson is that having a really good RB is still worthwhile compared to having average RB's, even with the zone blocking scheme.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
but with the ZBS, an average running back can have above average production. don't you get it Greg?

Yes, I get it. I don't think it's urgent for the Packers to draft an RB in the first round. However, if Lynch is the best player available at #16, Thompson should take him. Above average production is nice, but really outstanding production, like the Broncos got when they had Terrell Davis, can make the difference between an early playoff exit and a championship. That's what Mike Shanahan seems to think, anyway. Do you think Shanahan is off-base looking for an impact player at RB?

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Broncos made all of those "mediocre" running backs look awfully good because they use a solid scheme as well as having a kick *** offensive line.

Our line is nowhere near what Denver had during these awesome rushing years they are putting together.

Another thing: if the zone-blocking scheme was all it took to be able to rush the football without quality players running it, wouldn't every team in the NFL use it exclusively?

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ZBS may be a panacea for Denver and Atlanta but hasn't been for us. The problem is we can't change it now w/o replacing our three interior OL. Not going to happen. I believe E. James experience with the Cards last year proves even the best RBs need good blocking to prosper. With our OL last year, Lynch would have had a tough time. If they somehow improve this year he might shine but so might Irons. Another problem last year was poor FB blocking, overall. We missed our chance to get a solid ZBS FB when Griffith went elsewhere. So that weakness is still there. We may need an Earl Campbell type RB but there isn't one handy. So to me, the RB is NOT the most important component in our system. Blocking is.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ZBS may be a panacea for Denver and Atlanta but hasn't been for us. The problem is we can't change it now w/o replacing our three interior OL. Not going to happen. I believe E. James experience with the Cards last year proves even the best RBs need good blocking to prosper. With our OL last year, Lynch would have had a tough time. If they somehow improve this year he might shine but so might Irons. Another problem last year was poor FB blocking, overall. We missed our chance to get a solid ZBS FB when Griffith went elsewhere. So that weakness is still there. We may need an Earl Campbell type RB but there isn't one handy. So to me, the RB is NOT the most important component in our system. Blocking is.

Exactly. THe ZBS scheme is only effective if you run it right. People act like the ZBS is better than another style. Truly it is not. It's no more effective than anything else. If you run it correct it is effective, if you don't it's not, JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER STYLE!

As far as an average back being able to run in it, thats misleading. Some backs are a good fit for it and some are not. There have been plenty of AVERAGE backs who excelled in scheme's other than ZB. It depends on thier running style. It can make average backs look good but it could also make Great backs look average. It depend on thier style.

I have experimented with Zone Blocking at a camp ran by a former coach in the Cincinnati area. Honestly it seems to me that well it can be effective the downside can be huge. Unless you can run it near perfectly it's no more effective. However, run it wrong and it's a train wreck.

I think the Packers did a decent job last year but they don't have the personnel to do it. They have guys to fit the system along the line but they lack the talent and saavy to do it at this point. Well it's easy to learn its not real easy to execute for the O-Linemen. It's the opposite with the FB. It's probably harder for the FB to learn but easier to execute.

I don't mind it but I don't think there is any benefit in it while being harder to to execute.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they don't have the personnel to do it. They have guys to fit the system along the line but they lack the talent and saavy to do it at this point.

and you're basing that off of what exactly? 3 rookies being thrown into the fire, struggling, then finishing strong (yes those teams werent very great, save it)

why write them off? oh yeah...thats right.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
they don't have the personnel to do it. They have guys to fit the system along the line but they lack the talent and saavy to do it at this point.

and you're basing that off of what exactly? 3 rookies being thrown into the fire, struggling, then finishing strong (yes those teams werent very great, save it)

why write them off? oh yeah...thats right.

Didn't take you long to start baiting

The Packers finished 23rd in rushing offense. Do you even think before you post?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
perhaps you missed the 'struggling' part i typed up there. I see theres no conversing with you without bellyaching over baiting and fine lines like 'do you even think before you post'

goodbye

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the original post, yes they should think twice about drafting Lynch. Hell, they should think five or six times. They should do that about anyone you take with the first pick. This is beating the horse dead but they should take the best player available and I think Lynch may very well be the best player available at number 16. He is quick, shifty, and a good receiver and I think he'll do well in the NFL. As for having quality at running back based on the system, we all remember Terrell Davis (though none of us want to). That was an example of an amazing back running in the zbs executed about as well as it can be, it was a lethal match. Regardless of the system, if you have a chance to improve any position you should take it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts