Wide Receiver Options

D

Deleted member 6794

I saw it on NFL Network. I don't even remember who it was against. But that can't be too hard to whittle down as Watson has not played a lot.

Well, then track it down and post a link to it. Otherwise there's no reason to put any stock into it.

I'm not interested in underperforming disgruntled former 1st or 2nd round picks who need a change of scenery. I want a legit experienced and productive WR or the Packers should just punt on the season. I.e., I'm talking about someone like Brandin Cooks or D.J. Moore.

Both Cooks and Moore have a ton of salary guaranteed for next season. It might be tough for the Packers to fit either of them under the cap.
If we average more than 4+ per carry (just say 4.3) we can run running the ball 30+ times.

4.3 X 31 =134 yards.

The Packers don't average four yards per carry at this point though. They struggle especially early in the game.

We will have to do better than last weeks 0 for 6 on 3rd down, but at 3rd and 1.5 yards I feel like our personnel can win the day by simply remaining measured.

Unfortunately the Packers faced an average of 9.3 yards to go on the eight third downs they faced against the Commanders.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is with Watson injury woes, Cobbs age and Rodgers hating on rookie mistakes or mistakes in general….if he stays im getting quite worried with how much we may pay Lazard since he and Rodgers worst case are always on same page nearly.

Reaction score
That is true. If you are playing behind the chains continually, 2nd and 13, 1st and 20, 3rd and 22 running the ball does not likely get a first down. And that has been our fate this season. But I believe what a lot of fans have seen is a disconnect when we are on the boundary of FG range. If you are on the 42 yard line 8 yards can get you an attempt. Instead of first getting into FG range and second trying to gain a 1st down we shoot down the field for an incompletion or take a sack. That means punt. This is not the powerful passing attack of the last 15 seasons. We have to accept that. Eventually, the potent passing game may return. Until then listen to Old School. Move the chains. Take the points.
YEah, another area we've failed is when we get past their 40 yard line, we tend to get fancy verses getting into scoring range. If we make their 35 yard line or more thats likely points there. If we run into that above scenario like 3rd and long etc..?? just do a draw and pick up 2-4yards and Kick a FG. When you get fancy it tends to end up in a sack or penalty and back us up out of FG range. You know they are going to send extra pass pressure as they understand it points avoided also (any halfway good DC tries to back you up -5 yards) As long as it remains at 10 points or less differential take the points and I know I sound like a Parrot, but we witness every week giving up scoring position to get fancy. I can't count how many times we are 3rd and 2 and we toss it 30 yards downfield for an incompletion

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What worries me is with Watson injury woes, Cobbs age and Rodgers hating on rookie mistakes or mistakes in general….if he stays im getting quite worried with how much we may pay Lazard since he and Rodgers worst case are always on same page nearly.

Per Spotrac Lazard's market value is $11.16Mil/yr. IMHO much too rich for a WR2/3.

Reaction score

Per Spotrac Lazard's market value is $11.16Mil/yr. IMHO much too rich for a WR2/3.
Yes, Very rich.
Nothing personal to Lazard I like him, but I don't think he's worth more than about $10M area. I guess its whatever someone is willing to pay

Last edited:

JPPT1974

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well really need to find a go to WR as after Adams left to take his talents to the Raiders and be Derek Carr's go to WR there. Really it has hurt Aaron a whole lot than he cares to admit.

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt the Packers will significantly overpay an average receiver like Lazard just to please Rodgers.

Nothing personal to Lazard I like him, but I don't think he's worth more than about $10M area.

The Packers shouldn't offer Lazard anywhere close to $10 million per season based on his play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't offer Lazard anywhere close to $10 million per season based on his play.
Lazard has showed me he can play. Thing is, he has been hurt a lot. And the O line has been a sieve until last game. It's kind of looking to me like $10M is not out of the question these days.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting.... we are trying to replace/fill the void by Davante who was drafted in 2014 in the 2nd round with potential guys like
Sammy Watkins
Brandin Cooks
OBJ
All 2014 first round picks

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree. I don’t understand why they‘d go beyond all in at QB and then turn around and put this kind of WR group together. It‘s the antithesis of all in.

I know we‘re cash-strapped, but what do they have against trying to make a play for a fast, dependable WR who’s still even somewhat in his prime?
Rodgers input now. Maybe he was on board and said these will be OK?

We can't just blame Gute any longer..

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not just a Gute issue but I have a very, very, very hard time believing that Rodgers signed off on the idea of replacing Davante, MVS, etc with Sammy Watkins and a bunch of rookies or nobodies and having only Lazard and a post-injury Tonyan as basically his only returning receiving options. That would seem to be in conflict with just about everything we have heard out of him for years now, lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Lazard has showed me he can play. Thing is, he has been hurt a lot. And the O line has been a sieve until last game. It's kind of looking to me like $10M is not out of the question these days.

It's possible that Lazard will end up being signed by a team for $10 million a season. I truly hope it's not the Packers offering him that kind of money though.

I think any reasonable person that removes their emotional fan shaded glasses realizes this is not just a Gute issue.

It's truly mind-boggling the length some of you go to blame for Rodgers for the team's shortcomings. Now he's the one to blame for a lack of talent at wide receiver and tight end :rolleyes:

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible that Lazard will end up being signed by a team for $10 million a season. I truly hope it's not the Packers offering him that kind of money though.

It's truly mind-boggling the length some of you go to blame for Rodgers for the team's shortcomings. Now he's the one to blame for a lack of talent at wide receiver and tight end :rolleyes:
Lol its honestly insane the depths people will go to give try and pin something on Rodgers.. I don't know any rational person thinks he wanted to head into the season with a bunch of rookies and Sammy Watkins

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers input now. Maybe he was on board and said these will be OK?

We can't just blame Gute any longer..
We don’t know that, but either way I wasn’t blaming Gute (there’s a reason he’s GM and I’m not)…I just don’t understand the thinking, especially since we have been a receiver short for the past few years even with Adams and it’s not difficult to recognize. It’s a big part of why we couldn’t go all the way in the playoffs once we got matched up with a top defense.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What?? You really run with things...there are a ton of factors like Adams literally choosing to leave more money and a first ballot HOF QB....MVS getting crazy money from the Chiefs...Lazard being injured a ton....EQ never following through on the promise he had....Watson tons of injuries as a rookie....the Will Fuller deal never going through...

Just quick reasons NOT having to do with Rodgers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not like we entered the year with money and cap space. Moves we’re not going to be easy to make. Also they’re wasn’t a lot available in the way of WRs available either.

Either way, last night we faced a very good football team that really doesn't have a weakness. It was a tall order. to start the game, the offensive line had issues and it mucked things up big time. Despite a QB who was putting the ball where it need to be for catch and run, guys making plays and some hard running, 2 plays by the same guy killed 2 drives and we largely did nothing but spin wheels and most of the good plays were for nothing.

2nd half they cleaned some of that up. Even with the guys we have IF IF IF they're doing their jobs this offense can be good enough. Don't give up immediate pressures up the middle and the QB can get stuff done. Have a receiver go up and make a play a time or 2 a game and it opens things up.

What this offense can't do is let the inside pressure come immediately. They can't commit penalties and dig holes, they need someone to make a play or 2. They don't have to be superman, but a play or 2 a game make a play. and then make the easy ones. They do that and they can turn this season around.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not like we entered the year with money and cap space. Moves we’re not going to be easy to make. Also they’re wasn’t a lot available in the way of WRs available either.

Either way, last night we faced a very good football team that really doesn't have a weakness. It was a tall order. to start the game, the offensive line had issues and it mucked things up big time. Despite a QB who was putting the ball where it need to be for catch and run, guys making plays and some hard running, 2 plays by the same guy killed 2 drives and we largely did nothing but spin wheels and most of the good plays were for nothing.

2nd half they cleaned some of that up. Even with the guys we have IF IF IF they're doing their jobs this offense can be good enough. Don't give up immediate pressures up the middle and the QB can get stuff done. Have a receiver go up and make a play a time or 2 a game and it opens things up.

What this offense can't do is let the inside pressure come immediately. They can't commit penalties and dig holes, they need someone to make a play or 2. They don't have to be superman, but a play or 2 a game make a play. and then make the easy ones. They do that and they can turn this season around.
Well said. I actually feel pretty optimistic after last night’s game. They really do seem to be a handful of plays away.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To be fair we made the couple big plays...Doubs alone had two contested acrobatic snags...Jones busted a few big plays and Dillon one. The plays were there, protection issues at times and massive mental weaknesses were the biggest issues yet again from my perspective.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair we made the couple big plays...Doubs alone had two contested acrobatic snags...Jones busted a few big plays and Dillon one. The plays were there, protection issues at times and massive mental weaknesses were the biggest issues yet again from my perspective.
oh, I agree. It was great to see some guys make a play like that. Doubs had 2 standout plays. This offense has been desperately missing that. Now it just so happened that was against likely the best team in the league so it was in a loss. But start doing this against the rest of the league and wins are going to come. Heck we'd be sitting at 1 or 2 losses if they'd have been making those plays the previous 3 weeks.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh, I agree. It was great to see some guys make a play like that. Doubs had 2 standout plays. This offense has been desperately missing that. Now it just so happened that was against likely the best team in the league so it was in a loss. But start doing this against the rest of the league and wins are going to come. Heck we'd be sitting at 1 or 2 losses if they'd have been making those plays the previous 3 weeks.

Agreed, make those and just remove the emotionally weak unsportsmen like flags on us and we at most have 3 losses IMO

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One encouraging thing about last night is the guys never quit. I'm sure they all knew they were huge underdogs and kept on hustling. That shows me MLF hasn't lost his locker room and that is a big deal IMO.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
8 weeks in, here are the teams that are either under .500 or in last place (i.e. might sell), and who they have on their roster that they could potentially move:

Patriots:

-Jakobi Meyers, WR
-DeVante Parker, WR
-Kendrick Bournes, WR
-Nelson Agholor, WR
-Jonnu Smith, TE

Broncos:

-Jerry Jeudy, WR
-K.J. Hamler, WR
-Albert Okwuegbunam, TE

Raiders:

-Mack Hollins, WR