Wide Receiver Options

Reaction score
As much as I liked the Watson and Doubs picks, this goes to show that we really should've either traded (my preference) for a WR and/or signed a veteran. I think Doubs and Watson have a lot of potential, but will they reach it before Rodgers retires?

That being said, I am not sure how much it would matter this season because the whole team outside of the running backs and occasionally the secondary is playing poorly.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I liked the Watson and Doubs picks, this goes to show that we really should've either traded (my preference) for a WR and/or signed a veteran. I think Doubs and Watson have a lot of potential, but will they reach it before Rodgers retires?

That being said, I am not sure how much it would matter this season because the whole team outside of the running backs and occasionally the secondary is playing poorly.
Probably will not be until Rodgers is gone. And then I am not sure if they will have a QB to find them.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't watched any Cardinals games closely this season but Green has played a total of 250 snaps on offense this season and has caught only 10 passes for 56 yards. Actually, he's dead last in yards per route run among 84 receivers with at least 20 targets by a significant margin. The Packers better pass on him at this point in his career.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These AJ Green rumors are just new levels of hilarity. This ship is sinking fast.

Christian Watson, meanwhile, doesn't even seem like a receiver. Does he run actual routes down the field? Or can he just get handoffs and trick plays? Can he run a slant? A post? He just seems like a track star to me. We could have had a real receiver who runs actual routes like George Pickens who I was begging for all spring.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These AJ Green rumors are just new levels of hilarity. This ship is sinking fast.

Christian Watson, meanwhile, doesn't even seem like a receiver. Does he run actual routes down the field? Or can he just get handoffs and trick plays? Can he run a slant? A post? He just seems like a track star to me. We could have had a real receiver who runs actual routes like George Pickens who I was begging for all spring.
No reason why he couldn't have been watching Cooper Kupp or Davante Adams film 8 hrs/day while he's been out injured for most of the last 5 months. I'm sure there is plenty of film for every pattern on the route tree by these 2, as well as all of the head fakes, stutter steps, and "wiggle" they use in getting open. Watson is a very smart kid, lack of NFL practice field experience shouldn't hinder his learning at all, IMHO.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Everyone seems to be keeping some sort of record, so I better add to that. For the Record, I have no interest in AJ Green. Dude is washed.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He hasn't been on the field much but I remember seeing a play on NFL Network where he came from the L side and ran over the middle about 15 yards out and he was coming wide open. Rodgers threw to Cobb short and totally covered on the L side. It was an important 3rd down play. Obviously he did not see Watson who should have been in his field of vision w/o even having to do a progression. The trustometer again.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he was ever really mentioned as an option for us, but the Chiefs just traded a conditional third and sixth round pick to the Giants for 2021 first-rounder Kadarius Toney.

Not saying that specific move is one that we should have made but as I was saying in another thread...seems to reinforce the notion that other teams simply place more value on adding talent at the receiver positions than we do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Christian Watson was known to be a raw receiver coming into the league. The reason he was drafted so highly is because he's a terrific run blocker already and his physical skills mean that, if he learns to run a comprehensive route tree and improves his catch rate, he'll easily be the best receiver drafted in this draft. His physical skills, as measured by relative athletic score, are on par with Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, and Randy Moss. Again, most people knew he was a pretty raw route runner, I fully expected him to just be the MVS guy his rookie season and I've seen nothing to change my mind once he's healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson is extremely raw and hasn't had any time on the practice or playing field really to get a good idea how he's coming along. it's been a tough start for him in that way, but I am happy they are trying to find ways to get him involved when he is available. He just needs to heal up and be available.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO. I would add that he also needs to be able to get open and catch the ball. IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
of course i'd like him to do those things most important to being a WR. I was more commenting on people telling us what he is, when they haven't seen him do really anything yet and he hasn't had any time to work within the offense in practice either. he's not been working on running routes or catching balls. So first, he needs to be available. He's way behind the 8ball at this point of the season.

Reaction score
Okay, against Washington the Packers faced 2nd and 10+ nine times. They ran the ball 7 times for 20 yards on first down. Just running against defenses that don’t fear any threat of the pass is a losing proposition.
As far as teams being threatened by our passing game? How is that working out exactly??

If you are Buffalo are you shaking at our passing game?

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he was ever really mentioned as an option for us, but the Chiefs just traded a conditional third and sixth round pick to the Giants for 2021 first-rounder Kadarius Toney.

Not saying that specific move is one that we should have made but as I was saying in another thread...seems to reinforce the notion that other teams simply place more value on adding talent at the receiver positions than we do.
This is a position in which we are so afraid to strike out. Ron Wolf went out and got Andre Rison in 1996 when Brooks and Freeman went down and it helped bring us the SB. I know Gute is looking and looking. But...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andre Rison was a healthy, productive and proven vet who had a habitnof wearing out welcomes who only had to play a half season maybe. And he didn’t need to be traded for. He was just available for about 400k.

Kadarius Toney is not any of those other than the ability to not get along with others it seems.

D

Deleted member 6794

No reason why he couldn't have been watching Cooper Kupp or Davante Adams film 8 hrs/day while he's been out injured for most of the last 5 months. I'm sure there is plenty of film for every pattern on the route tree by these 2, as well as all of the head fakes, stutter steps, and "wiggle" they use in getting open. Watson is a very smart kid, lack of NFL practice field experience shouldn't hinder his learning at all, IMHO.

Watson needs to get on the field to work on his routes. While it was definitely possible for him to watch a ton of film that's not a equivalent for practicing.

He hasn't been on the field much but I remember seeing a play on NFL Network where he came from the L side and ran over the middle about 15 yards out and he was coming wide open. Rodgers threw to Cobb short and totally covered on the L side. It was an important 3rd down play. Obviously he did not see Watson who should have been in his field of vision w/o even having to do a progression. The trustometer again.

Do you have a link to a video of the play?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson needs to get on the field to work on his routes. While it was definitely possible for him to watch a ton of film that's not a equivalent for practicing.

Do you have a link to a video of the play?
I saw it on NFL Network. I don't even remember who it was against. But that can't be too hard to whittle down as Watson has not played a lot. Hoping to see him against Buffalo but not if his hammy is not healed. Seems like a lot more hamstring problems all around the league than there used to be. Probably the conditioning is a little too much. And maybe they push it even when they can feel it's a little tight, thinking that will loosen it up. Bad idea.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not interested in underperforming disgruntled former 1st or 2nd round picks who need a change of scenery. I want a legit experienced and productive WR or the Packers should just punt on the season. I.e., I'm talking about someone like Brandin Cooks or D.J. Moore.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as teams being threatened by our passing game? How is that working out exactly??

If you are Buffalo are you shaking at our passing game?

That, uh, that was my point. No defense is scared of this passing game and so they can focus on stopping the run.

Reaction score
That, uh, that was my point. No defense is scared of this passing game and so they can focus on stopping the run.

“I've posted this before but the whole "just run the darn ball" thing doesn't actually work without the threat of a passing game”

Hmmm….. I see.
So do they call that “Play-No Action” football?
This would make an absolutely fantastic Mo, Larry n Curly episode !
Columbia Pictures Presents:
(a very short not thought out very well feature film)
Curly goes Football”.

I’ll be Mo. who’s up 1st? :p

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“I've posted this before but the whole "just run the darn ball" thing doesn't actually work without the threat of a passing game”

Hmmm….. I see.
So do they call that “Play-No Action” football?
This would make an absolutely fantastic Mo, Larry n Curly episode !
Columbia Pictures Presents:
(a very short not thought out very well feature film)
Curly goes Football”.

I’ll be Mo. who’s up 1st? :p

Okay. I don't see where the confusion lies but that's probably on me. I was responding to everyone who was saying that MLF just needs to run the ball more. I.e., just running the ball more isn't going to fix the offense, finding some decent receivers is the only thing that will turn this offense around (or massive turnover on the oline to find guys that can run block really well). Just running the ball more often at an inefficient clip will simply result in more awful offense.

Reaction score
Okay. I don't see where the confusion lies but that's probably on me. I was responding to everyone who was saying that MLF just needs to run the ball more. I.e., just running the ball more isn't going to fix the offense, finding some decent receivers is the only thing that will turn this offense around (or massive turnover on the oline to find guys that can run block really well). Just running the ball more often at an inefficient clip will simply result in more awful offense.
Even Matt said they weren’t running enough. This isn’t some new “hypothesis” that I came up with. This is part of any game plan when you are playing a superior team.

If you think I am alone I need not go far or long to find those that understand this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ll-have-to-play-key-role-vs-bills/ar-AA13ule3

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even Matt said they weren’t running enough. This isn’t some new “hypothesis” that I came up with. This is part of any game plan when you are playing a superior team.

If you think I am alone I need not go far or long to find those that understand this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ll-have-to-play-key-role-vs-bills/ar-AA13ule3

If we “run the darn ball” just 12 total times again Sunday night (or anywhere near that), you can plan on a double digit defeat on the big stage.

I agree. I just also recognize that, if the passing game doesn't come around, the Packers could run the ball 25 times on Sunday and they'll still lose.

Reaction score
I agree. I just also recognize that, if the passing game doesn't come around, the Packers could run the ball 25 times on Sunday and they'll still lose.
If we average more than 4+ per carry (just say 4.3) we can run running the ball 30+ times.

4.3 X 31 =134 yards.

Add 22 catches (33 attempts)at 7.5 per by the WR/TE/RB group and that’s 300 yards of Offense and 31-35 minutes of game clock. That allows the Bills get 25-29 minutes and 9-10 possessions.
We need 5 Stops all day and Buffalo likely scores in the 20-24 range tops and we’re in this game into the 4th quarter.
We will have to do better than last weeks 0 for 6 on 3rd down, but at 3rd and 1.5 yards I feel like our personnel can win the day by simply remaining measured.

1 simple Turnover by our Defense can give them a good scare and keep our even pass-run mix churning that clock to a point where their home crowd sniffs a loss in a game where it should’ve been a massacre.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Andre Rison was a healthy, productive and proven vet who had a habitnof wearing out welcomes whoI only had to play a half season maybe. And he didn’t need to be traded for. He was just available for about 400k.

Kadarius Toney is not any of those other than the ability to not get along with others it seems.

That is true. If you are playing behind the chains continually, 2nd and 13, 1st and 20, 3rd and 22 running the ball does not likely get a first down. And that has been our fate this season. But I believe what a lot of fans have seen is a disconnect when we are on the boundary of FG range. If you are on the 42 yard line 8 yards can get you an attempt. Instead of first getting into FG range and second trying to gain a 1st down we shoot down the field for an incompletion or take a sack. That means punt. This is not the powerful passing attack of the last 15 seasons. We have to accept that. Eventually, the potent passing game may return. Until then listen to Old School. Move the chains. Take the points.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts